Do you create a separate gmail account for each niche you're in?

by ncloud
27 replies
For those of you who are in more than one niche, do you create more than one gmail account? I have my email address on my Contact Us page, but I plan on getting into more than one niche, so I'm just wondering if it would be better to have a separate gmail account for each website.

I'm assuming you can create as many gmail accounts that you want, but when you're creating multiple accounts, do you have to make up different first and last names for each?
#email account #gmail #gmail account
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
    I don't use Gmail for this. I use different email addresses for each domain. For example, support@...com, webmaster@...com.

    I think having emails come from and to the domain name looks more professional and is a little more trustworthy for the most part.

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10136384].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Quester Guide
      If you have already bought a domain name, there no point in using gmail. You email address and its aliases must look professional.
      You can get a hosted email for your domain from Zoho without paying anything. However, even their paid package is a bargain for multiple domains. Anyway, just forget about @gmail.com when doing business.
      Signature

      Free guides about online success, all at your fingertips. Click to See with your own eyes and enjoy awesome content for free.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10136426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jameskyle
    Not unless you have an easy way to manage all of your accounts as they grow over time, I would suggest using a professional moniker that is general enough to be used on all websites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10136464].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ncloud
    Ok, so it's best to go with support@mydomain.com. Is there anyway to get such an email for each website free of charge? I don't like forking out money each month for this that everything else, even if it is inexpensive. I think that should be included when you buy a domain.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10136490].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rosario1990
      Originally Posted by ncloud View Post

      Ok, so it's best to go with support@mydomain.com. Is there anyway to get such an email for each website free of charge? I don't like forking out money each month for this that everything else, even if it is inexpensive. I think that should be included when you buy a domain.
      Yeah it is better. Though it is expensive but looks unique.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10136494].message }}
  • I use separate emails for all of my niches. However, I have them all forwarded to my main email, then I answer them at the appropriate email.

    In order to do this you must be organized.

    Everett
    Signature

    Craigslist Posting Expert! Best Value and Service on the Web!

    http://PostingLiveAds.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10136512].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
    Many web hosting plans have enough emails so that you can do this included in the price.

    Also, many domain registrars offer email forwarding for free.

    Check your hosting plan.

    The way I handle this is that all my email from various domains comes into Outlook. When I send an email out I can choose who it is from. Emails that come in are separated out by domain name and email address so it's pretty easy to track.

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10136555].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Miguelito203
    Originally Posted by ncloud View Post

    For those of you who are in more than one niche, do you create more than one gmail account? I have my email address on my Contact Us page, but I plan on getting into more than one niche, so I'm just wondering if it would be better to have a separate gmail account for each website.

    I'm assuming you can create as many gmail accounts that you want, but when you're creating multiple accounts, do you have to make up different first and last names for each?
    I don't use Gmail. I just set up an e-mail acct. for the associated site from within my control panel, so if I have a site called twistedchocolate.com (not a site I have and don't know if it actually exist), the e-mail acct. for the site will be admin@twistedchocolate.com. Just look for where you can set up e-mail accts. from within your control panel. It only takes a few seconds.

    Joey
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10136563].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author st0nec0ld
    Depends on how you can handle multiple account for different niches.
    If you think it will be easier to handle just one email for different niches without confusion then stick to one. Though, mark suggestion is great too, I have to agree.
    Signature

    12BET | Live Casino Malaysia

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10136567].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stevereel
    No gmail for me, I use domain address emails. Sometimes have them forwarded to another account.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10136577].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author essmeier
    I don't create Gmail accounts for anything. I build Websites, and create an address using the site's domain for contact information.

    Nothing says "unprofessional" like using a free email account, especially when it's so easy to do something better.

    Just my 2Ā¢.

    Charlie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10137447].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    I don't create gmail accounts either. I use the email with my domain name in it, much more professional IMO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10137459].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LaunchPurveyor
    Like the others said, a domain email address is the way to go. However, you can certainly use a Google email address to set things up for a YouTube Channel, Google+, Google Adwords & Adsense, etc.
    Signature
    [New WSO]
    Create Fully-Functional WordPress Sites In Mere SECONDS With
    Only A Few Clicks Of Your Mouse Using This Powerful WP Plugin!
    >> CLICK HERE <<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10137725].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by LaunchPurveyor View Post

      Like the others said, a domain email address is the way to go. However, you can certainly use a Google email address to set things up for a YouTube Channel, Google+, Google Adwords & Adsense, etc.
      I was hoping someone would say something like this.

      I would say do NOT use the website e-mail address and use a google address for every site. and specifically here is why. when you sign up for a Youtube account. A facebook account a G+ account a twitter account a this account that account - every comment on blogs that you make and so on and so on... if you use a universal e-mail address ( probably a gmail account ) you are placing valid and trackable author indicators all over the web. Who wrote that facepbbok post? user123@gmail who wrote that post on their website? user123@gmail who wrote that comment over on that other blog? user123@gmail

      Tying the gmail address into the admin user name of a website is the only way to go. You are saying this is my home.. and all this content every where else belongs to me. Probably the closets thing to a author tag as you can get ( since Google dropped theirs last summer )
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10144944].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
        Interesting theory on the author tag thing.

        However, what's the difference between let's say "my cool forum @ gmail.com" and "jack @ my cool forum.com"? Don't both do the same thing if they were used consistently across the web?

        The non Gmail one looks to me like it would place "valid and trackable author indicators all over the web" just as well as the Gmail one would. Or am I missing something?

        Mark

        Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

        I was hoping someone would say something like this.

        I would say do NOT use the website e-mail address and use a google address for every site. and specifically here is why. when you sign up for a Youtube account. A facebook account a G+ account a twitter account a this account that account - every comment on blogs that you make and so on and so on... if you use a universal e-mail address ( probably a gmail account ) you are placing valid and trackable author indicators all over the web. Who wrote that facepbbok post? user123@gmail who wrote that post on their website? user123@gmail who wrote that comment over on that other blog? user123@gmail

        Tying the gmail address into the admin user name of a website is the only way to go. You are saying this is my home.. and all this content every where else belongs to me. Probably the closets thing to a author tag as you can get ( since Google dropped theirs last summer )
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10146143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Arissa Lockhart
    Weird. I thought this was common knowledge but apparently not.

    I use a single Gmail address to fetch emails from 5 other name@mydomain.com accounts. These domain emails get delivered straight to my Gmail inbox.

    For those who say it's unprofessional to use a Gmail address to reply customers... You do know that you can reply to a customer's email with your name@mydomain.com address straight from Gmail, right? All you have to do is to set the "Reply from the same address the message was sent to" option in your Gmail settings, fiddle with some mail fetching settings, and you'll be good to go.

    Easy peasy. And no need to log in to numerous email accounts just to check or reply to emails from a mydomain.com address.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10144715].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wealthy20
      Originally Posted by Arissa Lockhart View Post

      Weird. I thought this was common knowledge but apparently not.

      I use a single Gmail address to fetch emails from 5 other name@mydomain.com accounts. These domain emails get delivered straight to my Gmail inbox.

      For those who say it's unprofessional to use a Gmail address to reply customers... You do know that you can reply to a customer's email with your name@mydomain.com address straight from Gmail, right? All you have to do is to set the "Reply from the same address the message was sent to" option in your Gmail settings, fiddle with some mail fetching settings, and you'll be good to go.

      Easy peasy. And no need to log in to numerous email accounts just to check or reply to emails from a mydomain.com address.
      brava...

      But people are lamen, and you need to treat them as such.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10144857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rosario1990
    Don't use separate gmail anymore. I use Name@............ com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10144820].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Janice Sperry
    Simplest way? One niche. One website. One email address like admin@onewebsite.com.

    That is the simplest way and many times the most profitable way. I just got so tired of all the silly maintenance issues, time consuming emails, etc. Many people finally simplify to one website, learn how to scale, and never look back.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10144863].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    If you want to use your personal Gmail account for business purposes.... use it when someone on your list replies to a message from your email autoresponder. This way they know you're actually a real personal, and that you're "personable".... meaning you don't mind sharing your real identity and your real personal email address to help them out.

    Some of you may disagree, but that is how i feel about it.

    But to use a personal Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, (etc) for business MARKETING.... no. I secure a personal and professional domain name, and run all correspondence through the custom email names that i have created. Make sense?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10144919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fixers
    You can use your domain email address..:-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10145076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tamalanwar
    I use my personal name on many of the sides I am in. Like the money making site, my blog, my udemy courses and my web design business.

    I have found using my own name and real persona helped me get success to those things I have passion.

    So I created a general purpose email at gmail like: firstnamelastname@gmail.com

    I use this email for most of my communication, signing up for services etc.

    I also created emails like info @mywebsite.com for things where I need to look more professional like sending an email to a web design lead. Sending email to my newsletter etc.

    I use this gmail ID because gmail is secure other than the web hosting's email portal and easy to use.

    It also lets me host 5 of my custom domain emails onto my gmail account.
    Signature
    Tamal Anwar C.
    I transform old outdated 1990s/2000s websites
    into a fresh site of present time
    Learn How
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10145146].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by ncloud View Post

      Ok, so it's best to go with support@mydomain.com. Is there anyway to get such an email for each website free of charge? I don't like forking out money each month for this that everything else, even if it is inexpensive. I think that should be included when you buy a domain.
      ncloud, if you are already paying for a domain name and hosting, you already have what you need. Just go into your cPanel (or other control panel) and set up the emails you need.

      I currently have two gmail accounts, one personal and one business. I set up the business account exactly like Arissa described. Works like a charm.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10146078].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ncloud
    Thanks a lot guys. I will create a domain email then. I will still need a gmail account though to install google analytics. But, can I use the one I already have (my personal gmail account) for that or will I need one with my domain name in it (business account)?

    Also, LaunchPurveyor said "you can certainly use a Google email address to set things up for a YouTube Channel, Google+, Google Adwords & Adsense, etc.", but could I just use my domain email for all of that too or no?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10148745].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by ncloud View Post

      Thanks a lot guys. I will create a domain email then. I will still need a gmail account though to install google analytics. But, can I use the one I already have (my personal gmail account) for that or will I need one with my domain name in it (business account)?
      You can use the account you already have. My "business account" doesn't have a domain name in it, just a variant of my name different than the version I use for my personal account.

      Originally Posted by ncloud View Post

      Also, LaunchPurveyor said "you can certainly use a Google email address to set things up for a YouTube Channel, Google+, Google Adwords & Adsense, etc.", but could I just use my domain email for all of that too or no?
      As long as the email is legit, you should be able to use either. You may find some oddballs out there requiring one or the other, but they would be the exception to the rule.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10149499].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rpatsmith
        If I own the site, I use email redirects to filter my messages. If not, I try to use different gmail accounts to keep my messages seperate and organized. Hope that helps.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10149545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eugenedm
    Well that would be a useless task to do every time... I wouldn't do that... Although I do have 5 emails but they all go to one main email address...
    Signature

    WARNING: A 50 Million Dollar Man Taught Me His Secret... Which Resulted 6,000 Sign-ups on My Email List.

    "It's easier than you think..."

    => Watch this video here...
    Build Your List to 6,000 Subscribers

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10149553].message }}

Trending Topics