Does anyone here make a living by selling stuff online?

78 replies
I create a .com to sell jewelries online, but it is much harder than I thought. If you sell stuff online, please share your experience.
#living #make #online #selling #stuff
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Having a website alone means you have a billboard in a desert.

    You also need qualified traffic to bring buyers to you.

    Might as well use Etsy.com. Plug into an already-existing stream of traffic.

    Then there's the price issue. Unless you have a high volume of sales, you aren't going to survive on sales of cheap trinkets.

    You didn't share much about what you do now and what you've tried.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165620].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Here is the website of the store:
      Hjewel.com
      I tried to get traffic from pinterest and instagram, but no success.
      I am in Asia and can keep the source cost at pretty low.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165636].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JonSofen
        Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

        Here is the website of the store:
        Hjewel.com
        I tried to get traffic from pinterest and instagram, but no success.
        I am in Asia and can keep the source cost at pretty low.
        Your products have no descriptions. You need creative product descriptions. All you have are pictures. That's not good enough to entice people to buy.
        Signature

        Hey, you should check out my Las Vegas poker blog because it's awesome!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10167008].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author OfferWage
        Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

        Here is the website of the store:
        Hjewel.com
        I tried to get traffic from pinterest and instagram, but no success.
        I am in Asia and can keep the source cost at pretty low.
        How were you using these sources to gain traffic? With your niche, both sources should get you consistent traffic if used correctly. Your Pinterest page shows minimal progress. 22 total pins is not enough to make a determination just yet. Pinterest requires a lot of user interaction. Consistent updates, follow others, like other posts, etc. You will begin to develop a reciprocal fan base that can work into your campaigns. It does take time though.

        Also recommend that you find a better placement for your pinterest and instagram buttons. Perhaps somewhere in the header and not on top of each other.
        Signature
        OWM Affiliate Network
        offerwage media
        www.offerwage.com
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10202355].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author crunchor
          Originally Posted by OfferWage View Post

          How were you using these sources to gain traffic? With your niche, both sources should get you consistent traffic if used correctly. Your Pinterest page shows minimal progress. 22 total pins is not enough to make a determination just yet. Pinterest requires a lot of user interaction. Consistent updates, follow others, like other posts, etc. You will begin to develop a reciprocal fan base that can work into your campaigns. It does take time though.

          Also recommend that you find a better placement for your pinterest and instagram buttons. Perhaps somewhere in the header and not on top of each other.
          Any better marketing suggestion?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10205733].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author paulie888
            If you're going to rely on free marketing, at least initially, I'd recommend posting regularly on Pinterest and Instagram, and have a Facebook page also.

            You'd need to post, like other's people's posts, follow them and get engagement. This is something that needs to be done a couple of times daily to build up your following. While this traffic is technically "free" in the sense that it doesn't require an out of pocket expense, it'll require a significant amount of time and effort on your part.

            Are you doing any form of paid promotion on Facebook or elsewhere?

            Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

            Any better marketing suggestion?
            Signature
            >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10205755].message }}
      • Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

        Here is the website of the store:
        Hjewel.com
        I tried to get traffic from pinterest and instagram, but no success.
        I am in Asia and can keep the source cost at pretty low.
        One thing I noticed is you're selling rings without sizes. How is someone supposed to buy a ring when they don't know the size?

        In my opinion your site just looks like another drop ship site. Products aren't unique and there's not enough detail in the descriptions.

        Your returns page should actually have a return policy and not just a contact form.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10221224].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      Having a website alone means you have a billboard in a desert.

      You also need qualified traffic to bring buyers to you.

      Might as well use Etsy.com. Plug into an already-existing stream of traffic.

      Then there's the price issue. Unless you have a high volume of sales, you aren't going to survive on sales of cheap trinkets.

      You didn't share much about what you do now and what you've tried.
      You mean selling at place like ebay is a more realistic way?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165727].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Regional Warrior
    Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

    I create a .com to sell jewelries online, but it is much harder than I thought. If you sell stuff online, please share your experience.
    Had you used the search tab you will find lots of threads like yours

    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ng-online.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165631].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by Regional Warrior View Post

      Had you used the search tab you will find lots of threads like yours

      http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ng-online.html
      my store just focuses on jewelries or female fashion so I want to see if anyone over here has similar interest.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165638].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ibana
        Hi
        I live in Canada and starting my new business in fashion jewelry , maybe we can discuss
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10191511].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sam770
    If you have good product that REALLY HELP people - you can definitely make a living online...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Moore
    Where are you getting your traffic from ?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165653].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yesweb
    Hii,

    You can contact online shop store on Indians leading eCommerce sites. You will definitely give traffic and leads also from their sites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thereikid
    My experience has been to take your time and focus on learning skills rather than chasing money. The only sure way to make money online is to love the grind or the process and never ever give up. Things are always changing so be sure to keep networking and studying, if you put the work in it will pay off no doubt.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165754].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CruxisKnight
      Originally Posted by thereikid View Post

      My experience has been to take your time and focus on learning skills rather than chasing money. The only sure way to make money online is to love the grind or the process and never ever give up. Things are always changing so be sure to keep networking and studying, if you put the work in it will pay off no doubt.
      Holy cow, this post is so profound I had to quote it. I want to draw attention to it because greedy marketers pass over this as if it was worthless. And then they wonder what is the "secret" to being successful at online business.

      Bravo, sir.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10166289].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WilsonHorne
    If just creating a website has shaken up your belief then you need to have self-belief stronger than that
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winnermarketing
    I prefer sell non phisycall products because I find this field more easy.
    In you case I advice you to enlarge your business showing it throught free alternatives!
    Connect your site with a social network and share contents as photos!

    After that star a PPC usin for example Facebook Ads!
    Signature

    Free Guide to Make Money Online [Now!]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165807].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by winnermarketing View Post

      I prefer sell non phisycall products because I find this field more easy.
      In you case I advice you to enlarge your business showing it throught free alternatives!
      Connect your site with a social network and share contents as photos!

      After that star a PPC usin for example Facebook Ads!
      You sell software?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nasstar
    I am not sure what you have tried in terms of advertising and basically traffic. Creating a product, website is just half of the work. the other is driving traffic to your product or website and the best option would be paid traffic if you want to see good results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10165857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ZanyZebra
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10166066].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by ZanyZebra View Post

      Yes, I do.

      Selling own branded products using amazon as the principle (initial) platform. It's not as difficult as you might think but takes 'know how'. My income is 6 figures a month from doing so.

      Good luck with your venture.
      You have your own product then you dont need to complete with too many similar or same product competitiors with as cheap as possible price in ebay or amazon.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10166257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jmh777
    Tons of ebay sellers sell things online for their main job. Many power sellers over there are working full time.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10166107].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by jmh777 View Post

      Tons of ebay sellers sell things online for their main job. Many power sellers over there are working full time.
      Ebay always promote successful stories but who knows the real % that can achieve that level. Base on what I read from many forums, people feel regret to full time or concentrate on ebay since ebay would just stop their accounts for no reason, would just suspend their accounts for long time if any products may involve copy right issue, and cost is very high once sell quantity is higher, and too many as cheap as possible competition.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10166264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Coloradoskibum
    I am into affiliate marketing. I have found that there are quite a few new companies that will pay you at TON of money to promote their digital products, mainly apps, and there isn't much competition on them. Stay away from brick and mortar and selling actual products if at all possible
    Signature

    Steven Davids | Owner, curator at Ridesharingpromocode.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10166304].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by Coloradoskibum View Post

      I am into affiliate marketing. I have found that there are quite a few new companies that will pay you at TON of money to promote their digital products, mainly apps, and there isn't much competition on them. Stay away from brick and mortar and selling actual products if at all possible
      So u have a website or app that generates a lot of traffic.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10166891].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
    Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

    I create a .com to sell jewelries online, but it is much harder than I thought. If you sell stuff online, please share your experience.
    I clicked on a ring and there is no description. Is it silver? Will it turn my finger into colors?

    Not sure where you got your suggested pricing either (I can get 10x the quality with real gem stones for the same $).

    You are missing a USP (Unique Selling Point).

    Either specialize in a specific brand or direct your style to a specific age group or something.
    Signature

    "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10166931].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by Jill Carpenter View Post

      I clicked on a ring and there is no description. Is it silver? Will it turn my finger into colors?

      Not sure where you got your suggested pricing either (I can get 10x the quality with real gem stones for the same $).

      You are missing a USP (Unique Selling Point).

      Either specialize in a specific brand or direct your style to a specific age group or something.
      I agree I need to be much more unique, thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10167273].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
    I saw your site and there is absolutely no reason for anyone to buy anything. There is no description, no information, no nothing - just pictures. Is there a reason you don't give a description?

    Also, I found that the pictures weren't clear or big enough so it's hard to see exactly what I'm buying.

    Look at how other jewelry stores do their setups for ideas on how to proceed.

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10166981].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by Mark Singletary View Post

      I saw your site and there is absolutely no reason for anyone to buy anything. There is no description, no information, no nothing - just pictures. Is there a reason you don't give a description?

      Also, I found that the pictures weren't clear or big enough so it's hard to see exactly what I'm buying.

      Look at how other jewelry stores do their setups for ideas on how to proceed.

      Mark
      I did check some popular fashion brand website in USA, most of them don't really have any description.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10167271].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author QTeeKitty
    Hey Crunchor, Have you done any research and comparisons between the jewelry you are offering and others that are offering similar products and what their prices are?
    (I agree with Jill about your USP and your pricing).


    As a "potential customer" who IS a part of your targeted audience:


    I immediately thought of this website please take note of the prices here:
    Cheap Fashion Bracelets & Jewelry for Women | 599Fashion.com


    You DO have some really unique and pretty pieces I would buy BUT I would never know it because your front page displays too much trinkety stuff that I see at the local dollar store.


    The interest is lost right away and no one is exploring your product line further because of the choices you put on your main page.
    Also, another point Jill had made: What is your targeted age group?


    These say "10 year old girl" and are on your front page:
    Purple Flower Ring
    Colorful Crystal Ring

    Here are some of your products that catch my eye and would keep me browsing through your website IF I saw this on your main page.
    Classic Grey Bracelet
    Tree & Love Bracelet
    Blue Triangle Necklace
    Feather Style Necklace


    Just take some time re-evaluate, research, and re-adjust:
    *Know your targeted style and age audience.
    *Research what that audience is buying
    *Research those products to see what is already available and what the pricing is
    (This will help you achieve your USP)
    *Adjust your inventory/pricing accordingly WITH the more interesting pieces on the main page to catch attention
    * Take advice from the others about product descriptions
    * Then work on traffic


    You have started a great foundation, just make necessary tweaks and build on it and don't get discouraged.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10167192].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by QTeeKitty View Post

      Hey Crunchor, Have you done any research and comparisons between the jewelry you are offering and others that are offering similar products and what their prices are?
      (I agree with Jill about your USP and your pricing).


      As a "potential customer" who IS a part of your targeted audience:


      I immediately thought of this website please take note of the prices here:
      Cheap Fashion Bracelets & Jewelry for Women | 599Fashion.com


      You DO have some really unique and pretty pieces I would buy BUT I would never know it because your front page displays too much trinkety stuff that I see at the local dollar store.


      The interest is lost right away and no one is exploring your product line further because of the choices you put on your main page.
      Also, another point Jill had made: What is your targeted age group?


      These say "10 year old girl" and are on your front page:
      Purple Flower Ring
      Colorful Crystal Ring

      Here are some of your products that catch my eye and would keep me browsing through your website IF I saw this on your main page.
      Classic Grey Bracelet
      Tree & Love Bracelet
      Blue Triangle Necklace
      Feather Style Necklace


      Just take some time re-evaluate, research, and re-adjust:
      *Know your targeted style and age audience.
      *Research what that audience is buying
      *Research those products to see what is already available and what the pricing is
      (This will help you achieve your USP)
      *Adjust your inventory/pricing accordingly WITH the more interesting pieces on the main page to catch attention
      * Take advice from the others about product descriptions
      * Then work on traffic


      You have started a great foundation, just make necessary tweaks and build on it and don't get discouraged.
      Thanks a lot for your comments with details. I need to do tweaks and actually think about just focus on Asian sytle since it would be real unique for my potential customers in North America, Europe, and Australia. I think my main problem is getting potential customers to my website. It is much harder than I thought to get some traffic from pinterest or instagram.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10167268].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author QTeeKitty
      Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

      Thanks a lot for your comments with details. I need to do tweaks and actually think about just focus on Asian sytle since it would be real unique for my potential customers in North America, Europe, and Australia. I think my main problem is getting potential customers to my website. It is much harder than I thought to get some traffic from pinterest or instagram.


      I think focusing in on Asian styles and bringing some really unique pieces that are unavailable to these regions is a great idea!! But have it in addition to the other selection that is trending.


      Your main problem right now is actually your inventory, pricing, display, and product descriptions. Do that first, and then work on traffic.


      It doesn't matter if you have great traffic if no one is buying your products.
      Have a good product then promote.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10168009].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author crunchor
        Originally Posted by QTeeKitty View Post

        I think focusing in on Asian styles and bringing some really unique pieces that are unavailable to these regions is a great idea!! But have it in addition to the other selection that is trending.


        Your main problem right now is actually your inventory, pricing, display, and product descriptions. Do that first, and then work on traffic.


        It doesn't matter if you have great traffic if no one is buying your products.
        Have a good product then promote.
        I agree, thanks!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10168076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amuro
    Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

    I create a .com to sell jewelries online, but it is much harder than I thought. If you sell stuff online, please share your experience.
    I do.

    Been doing this for 5 years.

    Focuses on niche marketing based on what I learn from Mark Ling, Adam Short, George Brown and Andrew Hansen.

    That to me is REALLY what affiliate marketing is about.

    Not just promoting IM which most people - especially newbies are doing these days.

    But on anything.

    As long as they are available for sale and you spend $ on.

    Now this is what MOST people don't realize.

    That if they can spend what they like, they can also earn back and more on what they like simply by sharing with others and provided the seller - whom they buy from - has an affiliate program.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10167300].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by amuro View Post

      I do.

      Been doing this for 5 years.

      Focuses on niche marketing based on what I learn from Mark Ling, Adam Short, George Brown and Andrew Hansen.

      That to me is REALLY what affiliate marketing is about.

      Not just promoting IM which most people - especially newbies are doing these days.

      But on anything.

      As long as they are available for sale and you spend $ on.

      Now this is what MOST people don't realize.

      That if they can spend what they like, they can also earn back and more on what they like simply by sharing with others and provided the seller - whom they buy from - has an affiliate program.
      Do you sell real stuff online or just do online marketing traffic stuff?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10167376].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maxsi
    We made $400,000 by selling info-products on the internet (plus more than $300K with other internet services)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10168024].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by maxsi View Post

      We made $400,000 by selling info-products on the internet (plus more than $300K with other internet services)
      Can you give a related product example? Hard to imagine what is info-products.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10168078].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author essmeier
    I had tremendous success a few years ago when I built a Website to sell a seasonal item. I had the only site on Earth that specialized in that item exclusively. I did nothing to promote it and I held the #1 spot on Google for that keyword for ten years.

    In the meantime, Money magazine, the New York Times and various major newspapers found me, interviewed me and posted links to my site in their publications.

    I gave it up when a shipping hassle came up after the major shippers started charging for dimensional weight. (big items + low weight = HUGE shipping costs)

    If you get the right product, people WILL find you.

    Charlie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10168449].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

    I create a .com to sell jewelries online, but it is much harder than I thought. If you sell stuff online, please share your experience.
    Yeah i make a living selling stuff online. Took a while because i sucked at it for a bit, but now i understand it just as much as Einstein's Photoelectric Effect. Easy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10168502].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Andre Slater
      How much do you know about jewelry?

      I went to the site and didn't really see anything that separates you from all the other jewelry websites or why should I purchase from your store when I can purchase from Amazon? A more trusted place.

      You have to understand that people just don't go online with Credit Cards and click buttons and buy stuff.

      People buy from people and companies they '

      Know - Like - Trust

      You should build a relationship with people who visit your site.

      Focus on the people who are your market and what they want, instead of just throwing up a site and thinking your going to be rich.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10168609].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author crunchor
        Originally Posted by Andre Slater View Post

        How much do you know about jewelry?

        I went to the site and didn't really see anything that separates you from all the other jewelry websites or why should I purchase from your store when I can purchase from Amazon? A more trusted place.

        You have to understand that people just don't go online with Credit Cards and click buttons and buy stuff.

        People buy from people and companies they '

        Know - Like - Trust

        You should build a relationship with people who visit your site.

        Focus on the people who are your market and what they want, instead of just throwing up a site and thinking your going to be rich.
        Your first sentence is always my concern. I am a man but try to do a woman business, totally against my natural interest. I do it mainly just because it is something easy to ship, light weight, have a lot of potential customers, profit margin can be high since most of the women wouldn't think about the cost as long as they like it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10169192].message }}
        • Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

          Your first sentence is always my concern. I am a man but try to do a woman business, totally against my natural interest. I do it mainly just because it is something easy to ship, light weight, have a lot of potential customers, profit margin can be high since most of the women wouldn't think about the cost as long as they like it.
          I disagree. Women do think about the price. Moreover, any buyer (be it a woman or a man), needs critical information before making the decision to purchase. Filling out descriptions has been mentioned, but think about what else you can add that will influence purchase decision - will it resist tarnish? Is it one of a kind? If these are Asian styles, tell the buyer a little more about where each piece is from, if there is any symbolism associated with it. Is it intended for date night, a statement piece, something subtle and elegant, etc.? You need to paint the picture for buyers. Tell them why they need to buy this piece of jewelry, or why it will make a difference in their lives.

          I know you chose jewelry because it is lightweight to ship, and that's a great plus. That said, you need to show a little more interest in your products, at least on your site and in your marketing. Buyers need to see your brand as an expert in order to feel comfortable making a purchase. Behind the scenes, its ok to like jewelry for its good margin potential. But let buyers feel as though you are passionate about jewelry, and want to provide them with the best pieces available. The more passionate you appear, both within your site and through marketing efforts, the easier it will be to encourage sales.

          Good luck to you.
          Tiana with ecomdash
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10169580].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Andre Slater
            Originally Posted by tiana with ecomdash View Post

            I disagree. Women do think about the price. Moreover, any buyer (be it a woman or a man), needs critical information before making the decision to purchase. Filling out descriptions has been mentioned, but think about what else you can add that will influence purchase decision - will it resist tarnish? Is it one of a kind? If these are Asian styles, tell the buyer a little more about where each piece is from, if there is any symbolism associated with it. Is it intended for date night, a statement piece, something subtle and elegant, etc.? You need to paint the picture for buyers. Tell them why they need to buy this piece of jewelry, or why it will make a difference in their lives.

            I know you chose jewelry because it is lightweight to ship, and that's a great plus. That said, you need to show a little more interest in your products, at least on your site and in your marketing. Buyers need to see your brand as an expert in order to feel comfortable making a purchase. Behind the scenes, its ok to like jewelry for its good margin potential. But let buyers feel as though you are passionate about jewelry, and want to provide them with the best pieces available. The more passionate you appear, both within your site and through marketing efforts, the easier it will be to encourage sales.

            Good luck to you.
            Tiana with ecomdash
            BINGO!!! Any great company or person that sells anything knows market and gives them what they want.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10169652].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author crunchor
            Originally Posted by tiana with ecomdash View Post

            I disagree. Women do think about the price. Moreover, any buyer (be it a woman or a man), needs critical information before making the decision to purchase. Filling out descriptions has been mentioned, but think about what else you can add that will influence purchase decision - will it resist tarnish? Is it one of a kind? If these are Asian styles, tell the buyer a little more about where each piece is from, if there is any symbolism associated with it. Is it intended for date night, a statement piece, something subtle and elegant, etc.? You need to paint the picture for buyers. Tell them why they need to buy this piece of jewelry, or why it will make a difference in their lives.

            I know you chose jewelry because it is lightweight to ship, and that's a great plus. That said, you need to show a little more interest in your products, at least on your site and in your marketing. Buyers need to see your brand as an expert in order to feel comfortable making a purchase. Behind the scenes, its ok to like jewelry for its good margin potential. But let buyers feel as though you are passionate about jewelry, and want to provide them with the best pieces available. The more passionate you appear, both within your site and through marketing efforts, the easier it will be to encourage sales.

            Good luck to you.
            Tiana with ecomdash
            Thanks for your sharing, I need to build up my passion for jewelry even I am a man, I think it is possible.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10169869].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BradleyMcClellan
    Jason nailed it, creating website wasn't even 50% of the total task that you would have to do,

    May be from the next time you should outsource this task to someone?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10169269].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maxsi
    Info-products are => non-tangible products.
    In practice customers get and use their purchases on the internet. Look at my signature to find more
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10169282].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by maxsi View Post

      Info-products are => non-tangible products.
      In practice customers get and use their purchases on the internet. Look at my signature to find more
      I don't see you have a signature.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10169290].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MMartin89
    Not all of the members here make living but a lot of them do, the key is not giving up and creating team that does heavy lifting for you..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10169974].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MValmont
      Took me about two months and a half to quit my job.

      What I suggest is to pick one system and focus on it. Don't read anything else until you make money. There are tons of ways to make money online ( I think kindle is the easiest, or setting up a Fiverr Gig), but any method will only work if you totally focus all your energy to make it work.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10170405].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author crunchor
        Originally Posted by MValmont View Post

        Took me about two months and a half to quit my job.

        What I suggest is to pick one system and focus on it. Don't read anything else until you make money. There are tons of ways to make money online ( I think kindle is the easiest, or setting up a Fiverr Gig), but any method will only work if you totally focus all your energy to make it work.
        So your current way is having an online store?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10170925].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MValmont
          Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

          So your current way is having an online store?

          I sell on Amazon.com. It's the easiest way to make money online quickly in my opinion
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10171339].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author crunchor
            Originally Posted by MValmont View Post

            I sell on Amazon.com. It's the easiest way to make money online quickly in my opinion
            Do you need to do any marketing to sell your stuff? Your stuff is very unique?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10172526].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author snewlun
    You could try advertising some of your better pieces on classified sites and drive traffic to your web site.
    Signature

    Scott E. Newlun

    Do you have something to sell?
    http://ad-ploter.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10170932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Seymour
    a good majority of the members here are making a living selling stuff online.

    It's definitely possible.

    You just need to put in the work. The site is just the start of things.

    It's like having a shop in the middle of the ocean. Nobody will know about it.
    Signature
    Add Me On Google+ and Twitter
    Visit the LeapFroggr Blog for SEO and Digital Marketing Tips and Strategies and be sure to sign up for your FREE Digital Marketing eBook.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10171024].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by Dennis Seymour View Post

      a good majority of the members here are making a living selling stuff online.

      It's definitely possible.

      You just need to put in the work. The site is just the start of things.

      It's like having a shop in the middle of the ocean. Nobody will know about it.
      I think it is worse than at the middle of an ocean ha ha.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10171046].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Victor Jonathan
      No traffic no sales, more traffic more sales. How many people visited and saw your advert? For paid/free traffic, go to sites with high number of visitors and get traffic back to your site if you must succeed. Paid traffic is more effective and time saving.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10174406].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
        Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

        Good learning for me.
        To answer your pm - no, that is not my site. Don't know if I'd have time to be posting here if it was.

        But, if I were to do a site like yours I would most certainly be studying that site I sent you to.
        Signature

        "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10174749].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author crunchor
          Originally Posted by Jill Carpenter View Post

          To answer your pm - no, that is not my site. Don't know if I'd have time to be posting here if it was.

          But, if I were to do a site like yours I would most certainly be studying that site I sent you to.
          Can you share more about your experience? You look like elite over here. What do you do for living now and your experience about income from online world?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10178780].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joncoates89
    Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

    I create a .com to sell jewelries online, but it is much harder than I thought. If you sell stuff online, please share your experience.
    When you say "sell stuff online" i'm going to refer to the exchange of services for currency in general. if thats the case then I have had MANY experiences, from ebay, to mlm, to dropshipping. Currently I make a living online working fulltime with affiliate marketing. To start its absolutely free. But, my transition started when a gentlemen on Facebook was asking for tips for his salesfunnel, at the time I didnt have time to expain, so I gave him an affiiate link that walked him step by step. I didnt think much of it, but an hour later I had 41 bucks in my pocket. the rest was history.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10171354].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnRios
    You are referring to literally every internet marketer when you say selling stuff online, we all are selling "stuff" in one form or another, even CPA marketers..

    And yes, there are heaps of people making living by selling stuff..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10171366].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

      Your first sentence is always my concern. I am a man but try to do a woman business, totally against my natural interest. I do it mainly just because it is something easy to ship, light weight, have a lot of potential customers, profit margin can be high since most of the women wouldn't think about the cost as long as they like it.
      Most of which women? Where did this statistic come from?

      I'm going to pm you a link to where I've spent (exclusively) on jewelry for the last year. Perhaps your examination of the site I send will give you some ideas.

      It is a MASSIVE site, and might scare you - but that is not my intention. If you reduce down to just a portion of what that site offers and specify yourself, you will be in a better starting point. Not everyone knows about this site - and I know for a FACT that people buy from this site and go sell the stuff on ebay marked up. And you may even want to use it to get some of your own inventory.

      Please note how things are listed. Specifics are just as important as the look of the jewelry itself.
      Signature

      "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10171392].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author crunchor
        Originally Posted by Jill Carpenter View Post

        Most of which women? Where did this statistic come from?

        I'm going to pm you a link to where I've spent (exclusively) on jewelry for the last year. Perhaps your examination of the site I send will give you some ideas.

        It is a MASSIVE site, and might scare you - but that is not my intention. If you reduce down to just a portion of what that site offers and specify yourself, you will be in a better starting point. Not everyone knows about this site - and I know for a FACT that people buy from this site and go sell the stuff on ebay marked up. And you may even want to use it to get some of your own inventory.

        Please note how things are listed. Specifics are just as important as the look of the jewelry itself.
        Good learning for me.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10172524].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sgerrardo
    First post in WarriorForum!

    I run my own online store for the past 2 years and also a brick & mortar store (non-related businesses) while I dare not claim to be an e-commerce guru but I'll be glad to share a few points that I've learnt from my online experiment-turned-business.

    1. Purpose
    When we set up a shop / business, we have to ask ourselves what are we trying to achieve - solve someone's problem, fill a gap in the marketplace, have something better than existing stuff to show the world. Once you have the answer to this question, I guess you will find meaning into what you do and then on put in your 1000% effort into it. If not, take some time and give it a thought, you'll save a lot more time, effort and money chasing your own tail. The jewellery / accessories market is a huge category with intense competition, so you must be able to set yourself apart from them.

    2. Marketing
    Setting up an awesome looking website can be challenging if you've just started, but it's not the most crucial of all. Getting people to know the existence of your website is, or else your online store will be just like a small stall with some tables and shelves in the middle of the desert. As an online retailer, you have to reach out to your customers and it's no different from any form of marketing - you can use FB pages, PPC ads etc for a start. If you can manage your costs well, you should be able to get a head start and start to see some sales, but of course it is back to getting Point 1 sorted out.

    3. Website
    Layout is really important as it will determine how well your site converts. Imagine if you're at a supermarket when the six-pack beer is placed beside the laundry detergent with no labeling above each alley, you will be as equally lost as your customer. When designing any layout for an online retail store, give some thought on categorizing, labeling products and put yourself into your customer's shoes. Having a FAQ section with some guides will go a long way to ensure your customer do not get frustrated with their shopping experience and leave your site before they checkout their basket.

    4. Customer Service
    As a customer, we always expect to receive some level of customer service from the business and staff. Even if your online store sells just a few products but you can engage and relate to your customer, ensure on-time deliveries and provide a channel for your customers to contact you for general enquiries or after-sales support, good word will spread around and your business will become much more sustainable. This will take time but trust me, the difference you make will also see you build up your base of regular customers and bring you repeat business. I personally subscribe to the rule of thumb that 80% of our business comes from
    20% of your customer base (regulars and referrals) and it is always easier to sell to your regulars as compared to the first-time customers.

    While selling through your online store can be challenging, it is worth the time and effort and it was a great learning journey for me. However, if you would like to just get your feet wet in e-commerce to validate your products / business ideas, you may also consider selling through established platforms for a start
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10172868].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crunchor
      Originally Posted by sgerrardo View Post

      First post in WarriorForum!

      I run my own online store for the past 2 years and also a brick & mortar store (non-related businesses) while I dare not claim to be an e-commerce guru but I'll be glad to share a few points that I've learnt from my online experiment-turned-business.

      1. Purpose
      When we set up a shop / business, we have to ask ourselves what are we trying to achieve - solve someone's problem, fill a gap in the marketplace, have something better than existing stuff to show the world. Once you have the answer to this question, I guess you will find meaning into what you do and then on put in your 1000% effort into it. If not, take some time and give it a thought, you'll save a lot more time, effort and money chasing your own tail. The jewellery / accessories market is a huge category with intense competition, so you must be able to set yourself apart from them.

      2. Marketing
      Setting up an awesome looking website can be challenging if you've just started, but it's not the most crucial of all. Getting people to know the existence of your website is, or else your online store will be just like a small stall with some tables and shelves in the middle of the desert. As an online retailer, you have to reach out to your customers and it's no different from any form of marketing - you can use FB pages, PPC ads etc for a start. If you can manage your costs well, you should be able to get a head start and start to see some sales, but of course it is back to getting Point 1 sorted out.

      3. Website
      Layout is really important as it will determine how well your site converts. Imagine if you're at a supermarket when the six-pack beer is placed beside the laundry detergent with no labeling above each alley, you will be as equally lost as your customer. When designing any layout for an online retail store, give some thought on categorizing, labeling products and put yourself into your customer's shoes. Having a FAQ section with some guides will go a long way to ensure your customer do not get frustrated with their shopping experience and leave your site before they checkout their basket.

      4. Customer Service
      As a customer, we always expect to receive some level of customer service from the business and staff. Even if your online store sells just a few products but you can engage and relate to your customer, ensure on-time deliveries and provide a channel for your customers to contact you for general enquiries or after-sales support, good word will spread around and your business will become much more sustainable. This will take time but trust me, the difference you make will also see you build up your base of regular customers and bring you repeat business. I personally subscribe to the rule of thumb that 80% of our business comes from
      20% of your customer base (regulars and referrals) and it is always easier to sell to your regulars as compared to the first-time customers.

      While selling through your online store can be challenging, it is worth the time and effort and it was a great learning journey for me. However, if you would like to just get your feet wet in e-commerce to validate your products / business ideas, you may also consider selling through established platforms for a start
      Very good sharing, thanks. Do you consider "you better like what you sell" as a factor? I am a man, I don't wear woman jewelry. I always feel lack of natural passion. But I feel for any man related stuff, it is more about famous brand and as a small online retail starter that is a big disadvantage.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10178806].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sgerrardo
        Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

        Very good sharing, thanks. Do you consider "you better like what you sell" as a factor? I am a man, I don't wear woman jewelry. I always feel lack of natural passion. But I feel for any man related stuff, it is more about famous brand and as a small online retail starter that is a big disadvantage.
        Certainly not a prerequisite, but it would be nice as you will be really passionate about it. I guess the bottomline here is that no matter what you are selling, learn the most you can about it and be the master of it, be so good that people will find it hard to match you.

        In terms of man-related stuff, it does not necessarily have to be a big brand - if you have consistently sell good products and provide top-notch customer service and buying experience, I'm pretty sure you can make a name for your own store and thus creating your own brand image.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10208304].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author crunchor
          Originally Posted by sgerrardo View Post

          Certainly not a prerequisite, but it would be nice as you will be really passionate about it. I guess the bottomline here is that no matter what you are selling, learn the most you can about it and be the master of it, be so good that people will find it hard to match you.

          In terms of man-related stuff, it does not necessarily have to be a big brand - if you have consistently sell good products and provide top-notch customer service and buying experience, I'm pretty sure you can make a name for your own store and thus creating your own brand image.
          I agree, just so hard to pull people to my store.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10208306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Maximus Flix
    I am fully immersed into IM and make a living online directing start-up businesses to guides that worked for me on a personal level. Video marketing has played a tremendous impact on my conversions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10173267].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gbarrows31
    I have my own product, www.StupidSimpleProfits.com And my wife makes crazy money selling on https://jane.com/ and https://www.eleventhavenue.com So Yes, Yes, and one more Yes cus its Fun..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10178791].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trevordd
    I don't sell stuff for living, but I sold my old gadget on http://klymen.com/ website when I needed some money really fast. It is a very nice service which help in such situations. This is all of my selling experience
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10193547].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crunchor
    Anyone can show your store?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10198925].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crunchor
    Do people really make a living by selling in ebay? Seem like ebay way is much easier than own .com way because marketing own .com is a much harder task.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10220781].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author VENAXIS
    I'll make it short. If you have a product that people need, then the next step is to find a place where you can tell those people about your product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10222197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author livitweb
    Selling Stuff online is tricky if you don't know what you are doing - or if you don't respect your prospects. However if you present the right offer in the right manner to the right audience, then you will have success. If you just stab in the dark and hope for the best then you are doomed for failure. My advice is to follow a proven formula that has worked for other people. Number 1 rule is to respect your prospects, and respect the industry you are in. It's really about building a good relationship with TRUST in your niche. Cheers, David C
    Signature

    Download the Biggest Secret to "Effective Email Marketing" - Seriously Not what you think!

    * Implement this secret method and watch your List Respond like clickwork *
    Download
    Your FREE Copy Here: Cheers David Cummings: ---> www.mywealthyweb.com/free

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10222201].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheZafraGroup
    Everyone here makes a living selling stuff online. This is an internet marketing forum. If you're selling jewelries, then it would be wise to create content, videos and blogs. A website alone will not create results. You need to give people a reason why they should visit your site. If you have an ad budget as well, even with just $300/monthly, you can get traffic, build a list and be able to create sales.

    The 3 things every online marketer needs for success: Traffic, Leads and Sales. Focus on those 3 daily, you'll be good. Don't be hesitant to invest in your knowledge. People who make a living online are people who learned and mastered a skill.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10222345].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kazimuhith
    Get a great squeeze page created, get a membership of auto responder , create a PLR ebook on precious metals and jewelry . Run ads with your squeeze page on Bing Ads and Facebook to get there email info while giving away the PLR ebook as freebie.. Send a series of emails about your jewelry product to your subscribers . Start like that and see what happens.. It is all about testing , optimization and scaling up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10222495].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Samfakroon
    Yes I sell Digital Stuff and CPA marketing
    Signature
    Connect with me on skype sameer.mukhtar1
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10222546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maxsi
    YES you can make a good living with internet.
    Intangible product => something that you can't touch with your hands .... (the core product for our TBTOYL Group is "www. TheBestTrafficofYourllife .com", it's an intangible thing)

    I'm not an huge fan of Drop-shipping because it requires a lot of time to be managed
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10222675].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Benjamin
    ...there's more to it then selling *stuff*

    First, you have to find your PASSION.

    Passion is neccessary to have the motivation
    to push through failure as it will happen often.

    ...but you don't care because you love what
    you do and what you're selling.

    Second, you need a market.

    You can have all the passion in the world to
    sell "stuff", but if your "stuff" has no value...

    ...you're selling "junk"...and nobody buys junk
    Signature
    **How I FLIPPED $80 into $690 Pure Profit With ONE EASY Method...2 to 3x Per Week...Only 30 Minutes Per Day (and how YOU can COPY my RESULTS, too!) **CLICK HERE FOR VERIFIED VIDEO PROOF**
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224975].message }}

Trending Topics