[Take-Off] Like a rocket? New Industry

14 replies
Hi All,

I have a pretty broad post here. Would really appreciate any input others have for me, im new to this forum as a SEO friend suggested its the place to be. But not new to the internet, marketing, blogging etc.

So here it is....

I have had experience in Copy, Blogging, Facebook Ads, Twitter, YouTube, Sales etc through the gambling industry. Have had some success there.

However, I've recently started out on a new venture this year and started a separate company, business is going ok although I want to really ramp up our online presence.

It's proving a little tricky at the moment, first thing I believe is to be a bit of a problem, its based around renewable technology and with the incentives on offer it seems to have earnt a bit of a name for itself in the unethical sense - much like double glazing window salesmen. Another reason may be, its just not a 'sexy' industry... like fast car sales or online get rich quick guides etc - people don't 'feel' much when presented with the opportunity. Also there are a lot of 'lead generation' marketers hogging the SEO

Anyway, without going off on a tangent... How would you all suggest getting the website off to a flying start generating traffic?

Things im doing each month -

*PPC - £300
*Facebook Ads - £150 - Sharing content Daily
*Blogging Daily, with the most attractive Copy I can. Using Yoast with WP to get a decent keyword ranking to each post
*Google+ - Content sharing, building a profile and business page (verified)
*YouTube - Adding Videos, hard to get people to watch them much
*Twitter - Churning a few local areas. Sharing content regularly
*Started to build a mail list, painfully slow without any real traffic
*Have tried to get a few bloggers to blogroll us for a backlink, but again no real joy.

I've only just started with most of these so know it won't happen over-night, getting about 100 views a day.

Open to all suggestions....

Thanks
#industry #rocket #takeoff
  • Profile picture of the author sega001
    The most important to focus on first is validating your niche. Focus on one traffic method to drive traffic to your web site. And it would be best to use paying traffic method to validate your niche and to collect data first. Understanding your audience is more important than anything else.

    Do you solve a problem in your niche that people will pay you for or are you just providing content like every other blog does? Build a email list in that niche and test it out. Are you selling your own products or affiliate products? Once you are able to fine tune your sales funnel to where you convert $1 to $3 then you are on to something profitable. From here you keep reinvesting your profits fast and keep building and then you will give your web site a "flying start"..
    Signature
    The Best Signature Coming Soon!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10189834].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chuck9536
      Originally Posted by sega001 View Post

      The most important to focus on first is validating your niche. Focus on one traffic method to drive traffic to your web site. And it would be best to use paying traffic method to validate your niche and to collect data first. Understanding your audience is more important than anything else.

      Do you solve a problem in your niche that people will pay you for or are you just providing content like every other blog does? Build a email list in that niche and test it out. Are you selling your own products or affiliate products? Once you are able to fine tune your sales funnel to where you convert $1 to $3 then you are on to something profitable. From here you keep reinvesting your profits fast and keep building and then you will give your web site a "flying start"..
      Thanks for the advice....

      I think its a tricky one though. Gathering further data on the audience is a definite, and something im concurrently working on.

      I wonder if you guys would consider it a bit of a problem if the target audience was more of a senior age - Like 40 - 60 ? I only say this as im aware content sharing and 'liking' and reposting etc tends to happy more in the 18 - 34 bracket. Is it an additional obstacle?

      Unfortunately we don't solve a unique problem either, as a solar panel installation company there are many others. Most are pretty bad online and your typical tradesmen, in groups of no bigger than a few. There are a few huge ones though.

      Couldn't agree more about the emails and sales funnel sega but as I said earlier it's not really like an e-book. Sales are far less frequent as the buyer is required to spend between £6,000 and £7,000. Margin is anywhere between 20-30% of that, looks like advertising is likely to be costly.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10189992].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        There are some very distinct difference in marketing efforts when you start talking about age. When you are targeting 40 to 60 year olds, you are targeting Gen-X and Baby Boomers. I would suggest doing some research on how to market to this group in particular. In general a rule of thumb here would be to leverage the brand of equipment you install.

        Some of the major players are "SunPower" "Solar World" "LG" and "Sharp" The last 2 in particular are going to more recognizable. ( I would bet more expensive too ) Then you get into brands such as Mitsubishi and GE etc. Customer education of the difference becomes a tool that you can use to indicate that you install the best ( show warranty info conditions best suited for etc ) - a side note "solar panel brands" and "solar panel brands comparison" would be keywords I would target.

        We then get into the overall dilemma of who to reach out to and how. There are 3 basic categories that we need answers for to make advertising and attraction of customers effective. There is People, Product, and Problems. Basically you want to identify People with Problems and have the Product to solve their problems. An example problem might be "I want to lower my power bill" or "the power grid is unstable and I want to ensure I have power"

        Probably the best piece I have read on the overall subject is: Solar Powering America Home | Department of Energy what I find of interest here is the top right section "Resources by Audience" and how the target audiences are broken down by category.

        I think you have mentioned that many websites in this market space have a lot to be desired, they basically suck. If anything I think they create more questions than answers. ANSWERS translates into sales. And in this market space in particular that statement holds very true.

        A site development tid bit. Because you are reaching for an "older" audience, consider increasing your font size on your pages. Anything and everything you can do to make the process of education and ultimately making a buyer decision works in your favor.

        Best of Luck Chuck!

        Originally Posted by Chuck9536 View Post

        Thanks for the advice....

        I think its a tricky one though. Gathering further data on the audience is a definite, and something im concurrently working on.

        I wonder if you guys would consider it a bit of a problem if the target audience was more of a senior age - Like 40 - 60 ? I only say this as im aware content sharing and 'liking' and reposting etc tends to happy more in the 18 - 34 bracket. Is it an additional obstacle?

        Unfortunately we don't solve a unique problem either, as a solar panel installation company there are many others. Most are pretty bad online and your typical tradesmen, in groups of no bigger than a few. There are a few huge ones though.

        Couldn't agree more about the emails and sales funnel sega but as I said earlier it's not really like an e-book. Sales are far less frequent as the buyer is required to spend between £6,000 and £7,000. Margin is anywhere between 20-30% of that, looks like advertising is likely to be costly.
        Signature
        Success is an ACT not an idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10190763].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Chuck9536
          Thanks for such a thorough post Savidge4. I will make sure I use all of this info, it makes complete sense. Hadn't thought of some of those points, very good. Thanks
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10190886].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Chuck9536
            One thing savidge4 - woudlnt those keywords be hugely competitive with all the brands, installers etc?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10190919].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author savidge4
              Originally Posted by Chuck9536 View Post

              One thing savidge4 - woudlnt those keywords be hugely competitive with all the brands, installers etc?

              Just happened to notice when I was looking up the top 10 it was considerably lower competition than some of the other terms. and then throw in Google for business and you are getting pretty much a gimme for 50 miles in every direction from where your shop is.
              Signature
              Success is an ACT not an idea
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10191646].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Chuck9536
                Interesting about the google for business... I have a Google+ Business page already. Have built it up somewhat already. Is this what you refer to? Apologies if thats a daft question.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10191752].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author savidge4
                  Originally Posted by Chuck9536 View Post

                  Interesting about the google for business... I have a Google+ Business page already. Have built it up somewhat already. Is this what you refer to? Apologies if thats a daft question.

                  yes and no? https://www.google.com/business/ Do you have this? or just a G+ Business listing?
                  Signature
                  Success is an ACT not an idea
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10192810].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Chuck9536
                    Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

                    yes and no? https://www.google.com/business/ Do you have this? or just a G+ Business listing?
                    Yes, we have this. And a G+ Profile.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10194997].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Chuck9536
                      Do you have a link where I can learn to Optamize this so we show up top of google businesses?
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10196957].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author noababy
    Here are some other ideas:
    1.Link bait -creat content that is so extremely useful or entertaining it compels people to link to it. Put yourself in the shoes of your target demographic and figure out what they would enjoy or what would help them the most.
    2.Social Bookmarking Social bookmarking sites allow users to bookmark their favorite websites that other people can publicly view and vote up or down. If you bookmark useful content other people will find it, share it, and vote it up so others can enjoy it.

    3.Yahoo! Answers
    The key to driving massive amounts of traffic from Yahoo! Answers is to give genuinely helpful answers. Instead of trying to create a blatant advertisement for your website work on becoming an authority in your industry.



    Hope that helped
    All the BEST

    Judith Bahaduri
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10189837].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chuck9536
      Thanks Noahbaby, the Yahoo answers is especially helpful.

      I'll check out the others too.... Link bait is extremely hard though because any linkers tend to be either govt based sites or competitors. I've tried to form some backlinks though.

      What do you all think of newsjacking? I'd guess again in the industry its a bit tricky?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10189994].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Samrath Gupta
    Are you trying SEO? Its quite good and you can get evergreen free traffic If you rank for those green YUM YUM keywords... DO your research and see if you can do SEO!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10190104].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chuck9536
      Hi Samartha...

      Not sure what you mean... Im already keywording everything and using Yoast, with WP
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10190113].message }}

Trending Topics