18 replies
Hello,

I'm thinking about starting a paid newsletter, I've done some basic forum/google searches, I've come up with the basics, like give value, keep customers happy etc... BUT

I'm looking for the things EVERYONE wants... (In the IM space) a few things I've come up with...
- Fresh, quality PLR. (Legit, no Garbage)
- Tips and tricks...
- A bit of Humor?

What are the things you would LOVE to have coming to you EVERY week on a schedule?
Thanks guys!
Justin
#newsletter #paid
  • Profile picture of the author JimmyBlueEyes
    I honestly would not pay for any service like this. But I would happily be marketed to in a free newsletter. Something to think about.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248036].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author khustikheu
      Originally Posted by JimmyBlueEyes View Post

      I honestly would not pay for any service like this. But I would happily be marketed to in a free newsletter. Something to think about.
      Me neither, never paid and never will. There is just too much free information available online anyways
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10249409].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JC Web
    I would never pay to be subscribed to a newsletter either. It would be better for you to have a free sign up and let people choose if they want to purchase specific products from you. Alternatively, you could set up a membership site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Antares330
    I was considering pairing it with a membership site...

    Let me ask you this instead...
    What products do you buy? or always need more of?

    I'm not looking to run a "Spam affiliate links" type of newsletter, I'm looking at adding value to their lives!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248746].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vishwa
    Paid newsletter is not such a good idea, when people get information freely on internet. there are plenty of blogs with helpful articles, tips and tricks who are offering free subscription to the users.
    Signature

    Blogging Tips & Tricks @ https://blogwithvk.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248751].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
      Originally Posted by vishwa View Post

      Paid newsletter is not such a good idea, when people get information freely on internet.
      The same could be said of a paid membership site or a paid forum.

      - Tom
      Signature

      I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic
      Learn one way I earn money: I give away free stuff.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248796].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tony M
      Originally Posted by vishwa View Post

      Paid newsletter is not such a good idea, when people get information freely on internet. there are plenty of blogs with helpful articles, tips and tricks who are offering free subscription to the users.
      Originally Posted by winnermarketing View Post

      newsletter in IM ? I think it will hardly works.....
      Try to inform on new earning opportunities....
      These are probably the most ridiculous comments on this thread.

      Paid newsletters work as long as the information is solid and actionable.

      Dan Kennedy has built a multi-MILLION dollar company based solely on
      his "No B.S. Marketing" newsletter

      Ben Settle is bringing in about Quarter MILLION dollars per year with his
      $97 per month newsletter (I'm just estimated off what he mentioned in a
      previous podcast)

      Gary Halbert had a newsletter for $197 per month that was hugely successful.

      Paul Mort has a newsletter that runs about $150 USD per month in the fitness
      niche.

      Craig Garber brings in about $500,000 per YEAR with a $47 per month newsletter.

      ... and the list goes on.

      The ONLY reason why you would be so quick to scratch off a paid newsletter is
      simply because YOU HAVE NOTHING OF VALUE TO OFFER.

      I'm starting a newsletter in a couple of months or so. It will be an offline newsletter
      for about $397 per month. The only difference is - I'm going to be making these
      newsletter for offline businesses (chiropractors, doctors, etc...)

      I know of a couple of companies that are bringing anywhere from $500 - $3,000
      month PER CLIENT for services similar to mine.

      Don't be so quick to throw something out the window you know NOTHING about.

      Get on Dan Kennedys newsletter... Pay attention to the content and what he REALLY
      uses the newsletter for. You'll learn a lot.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10249364].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author khustikheu
        Originally Posted by Tony M View Post

        These are probably the most ridiculous comments on this thread.

        Paid newsletters work as long as the information is solid and actionable.

        Dan Kennedy has built a multi-MILLION dollar company based solely on
        his "No B.S. Marketing" newsletter

        Ben Settle is bringing in about Quarter MILLION dollars per year with his
        $97 per month newsletter (I'm just estimated off what he mentioned in a
        previous podcast)

        Gary Halbert had a newsletter for $197 per month that was hugely successful.

        Paul Mort has a newsletter that runs about $150 USD per month in the fitness
        niche.

        Craig Garber brings in about $500,000 per YEAR with a $47 per month newsletter.

        ... and the list goes on.

        The ONLY reason why you would be so quick to scratch off a paid newsletter is
        simply because YOU HAVE NOTHING OF VALUE TO OFFER.

        I'm starting a newsletter in a couple of months or so. It will be an offline newsletter
        for about $397 per month. The only difference is - I'm going to be making these
        newsletter for offline businesses (chiropractors, doctors, etc...)

        I know of a couple of companies that are bringing anywhere from $500 - $3,000
        month PER CLIENT for services similar to mine.

        Don't be so quick to throw something out the window you know NOTHING about.

        Get on Dan Kennedys newsletter... Pay attention to the content and what he REALLY
        uses the newsletter for. You'll learn a lot.

        While you are right in your own way, none of us here are either Dan Kennedy or Gary Halbert; they are TALENTED LEGENDS. Moreover, just because something worked for them from way back (they did not start it in 2015 or it is doubtful that it would work; when they started there was no Wordpress IMO) does not mean it would work for everyone. It is good to stick to the tried and tested method of free newsletter, especially when one is not a 'guru' yet like Jimmy Brown Plenty of people write horror/mystery fiction, but nobody becomes or will ever become another Stephen King or Agatha Christie
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10249416].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Antares330
          Originally Posted by khustikheu View Post

          While you are right in your own way, none of us here are either Dan Kennedy or Gary Halbert; they are TALENTED LEGENDS. Moreover, just because something worked for them from way back (they did not start it in 2015 or it is doubtful that it would work; when they started there was no Wordpress IMO) does not mean it would work for everyone. It is good to stick to the tried and tested method of free newsletter, especially when one is not a 'guru' yet like Jimmy Brown Plenty of people write horror/mystery fiction, but nobody becomes or will ever become another Stephen King or Agatha Christie
          They had to start somewhere... (They might have prior business knowledge)

          It all comes down to value... Also, the fact that so many people are against it, puts me in favor...

          Besides, what difference is there between a normal product or membership site and a paid newsletter?

          To be honest, the more newsletters I sign up for, the more I DON'T want to be like that... Only a few newsletters are really GREAT! Among them is How-To-Geek's newsletter... I love getting emails from them!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10249570].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author discrat
          Originally Posted by khustikheu View Post

          While you are right in your own way, none of us here are either Dan Kennedy or Gary Halbert; they are TALENTED LEGENDS. Moreover, just because something worked for them from way back (they did not start it in 2015 or it is doubtful that it would work; when they started there was no Wordpress IMO) does not mean it would work for everyone. It is good to stick to the tried and tested method of free newsletter, especially when one is not a 'guru' yet like Jimmy Brown Plenty of people write horror/mystery fiction, but nobody becomes or will ever become another Stephen King or Agatha Christie
          Yes, you are probably right BUT I think there are a few on here that could come close to Ben Settle.
          Ben is very talented and really has a knack for effective communication via email and traditional copywriting.

          But I think there are a few in here that have the potential to be on or near the same level.

          To say a Paid Newsletter will not work today is a ridiculous assertion.

          Of course it can work and as Tom aptly pointed out if you can offer material not found anywhere else
          ( personal experiences and personal case studies) then people will pay if they find Value in it and can increase their bottom line with this Value


          - Robert Andrew
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10249600].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winnermarketing
    newsletter in IM ? I think it will hardly works.....
    Try to inform on new earning opportunities....
    Signature

    Free Guide to Make Money Online [Now!]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248760].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      So far, nobody here likes a paid newsletter . . .

      That means it will probably work great if done right!

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248788].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Antares330
    I know not many people here like paid newsletters...

    Question: In a free newsletter, what things would you like to get?
    Instead of this spammed affiliate link emails?

    The question was never, if a paid newsletter works... it was WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO GET in a newsletter!


    PS: Thanks for the encouragement Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248811].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    Justin,

    I'd happily be your first paying subscriber. When your newsletter is ready, you know where to find me.

    But - you first need to convince me to part with some cash. I spend a lot of time sat on my bottom in a pair of Star Wars pajamas earning it, so I'll first need some convincing to spend it.

    What I Don't Want

    1. PLR Content.
    2. Low-Value Tips & Tricks.
    3. Humour.

    I can get all of the above tripe and more from practically (and perhaps every) other IM newsletter on the planet.

    What I Want

    Value for money. And the more, the merrier.

    Any Price Tag Is Fine By Me

    By all means contact me and invite me to be your first paying subscriber. And when and if you do, the price tag is irrelevant. Like every consumer, whenever I encounter a price, I make a value estimate. Whether it's buying a new boat, an iPad, an Xbox One for my daughter, or paying for information. And when it comes to information, I'll purchase every decent piece I can find. If you offer me value for money, consider me a buyer.

    The above is in bold for good reason. It should be your primary concern right now. Lose track of it, and your business model will never work.

    - Tom
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic
    Learn one way I earn money: I give away free stuff.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248825].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Antares330
      Originally Posted by Tom Addams View Post

      Justin,

      I'd happily be your first paying subscriber. When your newsletter is ready, you know where to find me.

      But - you first need to convince me to part with some cash. I spend a lot of time sat on my bottom in a pair of Star Wars pajamas earning it, so I'll first need some convincing to spend it.

      What I Don't Want

      1. PLR Content.
      2. Low-Value Tips & Tricks.
      3. Humour.

      I can get all of the above tripe and more from practically (and perhaps every) other IM newsletter on the planet.

      What I Want

      Value for money. And the more, the merrier.

      Any Price Tag Is Fine By Me

      By all means contact me and invite me to be your first paying subscriber. And when and if you do, the price tag is irrelevant. Like every consumer, whenever I encounter a price, I make a value estimate. Whether it's buying a new boat, an iPad, an Xbox One for my daughter, or paying for information. And when it comes to information, I'll purchase every decent piece I can find. If you offer me value for money, consider me a buyer.

      The above is in bold for good reason. It should be your primary concern right now. Lose track of it, and your business model will never work.

      - Tom
      Thanks for the great tips!

      The biggest problem for me right now is, how do I give value?
      Giving them something that helps... but what does every IM'er never have enough of?

      Let's just say I would have the Energy/Time/Money to give you 1 thing every week, what would you pick?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10249179].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I wouldn't subscribe to a paid newsletter. WarriorForum is good enough for me.

    On WarriorForum you have millions of people trying out virtually every strategy in the box. And they report their results here. As as i'm concerned, my only "paid" newsletter is the fee i paid to become a War Room Member on this forum. And it hasn't let me down since.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10248961].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Big Al
    These are probably the most ridiculous comments on this thread.

    Paid newsletters work as long as the information is solid and actionable.

    Dan Kennedy has built a multi-MILLION dollar company based solely on
    his "No B.S. Marketing" newsletter

    Ben Settle is bringing in about Quarter MILLION dollars per year with his
    $97 per month newsletter (I'm just estimated off what he mentioned in a
    previous podcast)

    Gary Halbert had a newsletter for $197 per month that was hugely successful.

    Paul Mort has a newsletter that runs about $150 USD per month in the fitness
    niche.

    Craig Garber brings in about $500,000 per YEAR with a $47 per month newsletter.

    ... and the list goes on.

    The ONLY reason why you would be so quick to scratch off a paid newsletter is
    simply because YOU HAVE NOTHING OF VALUE TO OFFER.

    I'm starting a newsletter in a couple of months or so. It will be an offline newsletter
    for about $397 per month. The only difference is - I'm going to be making these
    newsletter for offline businesses (chiropractors, doctors, etc...)

    I know of a couple of companies that are bringing anywhere from $500 - $3,000
    month PER CLIENT for services similar to mine.

    Don't be so quick to throw something out the window you know NOTHING about.

    Get on Dan Kennedys newsletter... Pay attention to the content and what he REALLY
    uses the newsletter for. You'll learn a lot.
    Amen.

    I subscribe to two newsletters.

    And they're a lot better than looking for the information on the interwebz.

    For one... they're delivered to my door so I actually read them, which means I'm more likely to learn and apply them.

    And second... by paying for a paid newsletter I'm not getting pulled left, right and centre by all the distractions and bright shiny objects out there.

    But guess what... they're not for everyone and remember you are not your market.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10250684].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aur1mas
    Hmm that's interesting but at the same time pretty risky. In my opinion, if you want to make a paid newsletter, you firstly had to tame your visitors, did you do that? The thing is that nowdays people are not really prepared to pay for the news on the Internet. So the only fact that would make sure you sell your news - is making sure your visitors cannot find the information you cover elsewhere.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10250999].message }}

Trending Topics