What problems can I have if I copy articles from selfgrowth.com?

21 replies
Hi Warriors... my question is: What problems, issues or hassles could I have if I copy articles from selfgrowth.com and similar sites and I paste them into my blog in order to have my web content?

I have already done it with three or four.. and I have pasted the name of the author, his/her picture and contact information that is at the end of the article.

What items or topics should I pay attention to if I want to do the same with other articles-warehouses?

Thanks a lot,

oxygenearth
#articles #copy #problems #selfgrowthcom
  • Profile picture of the author mese5
    Thats copied content and if you are using adsense onthe site they wont allow it.
    Another thing, your website will not get rank for that topic as it is already found on other website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259226].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author arojilla
    Originally Posted by oxygenearth View Post

    What items or topics should I pay attention to if I want to do the same with other articles-warehouses?
    If they are not released under public domain, CC or other similar licenses, you either get express permission or you don't use the work at all, except small bits for fair use exceptions (news reporting, commentary, parody...).

    Anyway, if that's part of your business plan, I fear it's not a good one.

    Spend some bucks in content. Even if not the greatest content, at least it'd be unique(ish).
    Signature

    [...]

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zaccks
    even though you might have the right to publish them on your blog you need to rewrite them to make them look unique for search engines. google will consider that as a duplicate copy and too much of it on your site will cause removal from google.

    There is no any advantage of publishing duplicate content on your site. If you want traffic, write fresh and high quality content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259288].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author positivenegative
    Originally Posted by oxygenearth View Post

    What problems can I have if I copy articles from selfgrowth.com?
    Lawsuits, Google slapping, and low self-esteem because you've had to resort to nothing less than outright plagiarism.

    Get a life. You build a solid business off the back of your own efforts, not piggybacking on others.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259326].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DRP
      Originally Posted by positivenegative View Post

      Lawsuits, Google slapping, and low self-esteem because you've had to resort to nothing less than outright plagiarism.

      Get a life. You build a solid business off the back of your own efforts, not piggybacking on others.
      I concur! However, I wish this was completely true...just look at the cesspool that is Buzzfeed or Huffington Post! All they do is plagiarize and make money off of "aggregating" -aka stealing - content and using it to profit. Seems like the OP is trying to copy and profit from Buzzfeed's insufferable business model.
      Signature
      I'd rather tell you an ugly truth than a pretty lie.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259423].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author joseph7384
        Originally Posted by DRP View Post

        I concur! However, I wish this was completely true...just look at the cesspool that is Buzzfeed or Huffington Post! All they do is plagiarize and make money off of "aggregating" -aka stealing - content and using it to profit. Seems like the OP is trying to copy and profit from Buzzfeed's insufferable business model.
        It's not the same thing what these sites do (Huffington post, Perez Hilton, Drudge report, buzzfeed and many others) is called content curation and it's also done by many news sites and is perfectly legal and ethical.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10261687].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
          Originally Posted by joseph7384 View Post

          It's not the same thing what these sites do (Huffington post, Perez Hilton, Drudge report, buzzfeed and many others) is called content curation and it's also done by many news sites and is perfectly legal and ethical.
          Legal, it is. Ethical? I don't know. It would show a clear double standard.

          As I see it ethics has nothing to do with this. Google is the biggest content thief in history, and we are all happy when our pages are indexed.

          It is a matter of mutual benefit.

          Someone who makes a business out of other people's content needs to provide a benefit both to the reader and the content provider. If he fails to do that, the business model fails.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10262053].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author oxygenearth
      positivenegative: aggressive message but I thank you!

      The only item that I consider could be on a debate is the one referred by you as "low self-esteem"

      Anyway, after my reflexion...

      Buying PLR articles could be honest, legal and fast?

      Thanks again
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259424].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DRP
        Originally Posted by oxygenearth View Post

        Anyway, after my reflexion...

        Buying PLR articles could be honest, legal and fast?
        Getting a job would be honest, legal, faster, and more profitable.
        Signature
        I'd rather tell you an ugly truth than a pretty lie.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259430].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author oxygenearth
      Thanks a lot to all of you. I came here looking for GOOD ways to work on this business. Since with my question, I look like a criminal, I dont want to be one!

      Now I need to go on reverse and see what I will do now.

      Thanks for your answers

      oxygenearth
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259715].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author oxygenearth
        Hi guys, I assume the same situation occurs with images? with the same thoroughness?
        So I need to look for images that are FREE the same way it occurs with FREE PLR Articles.
        Thanks again.
        Oxygenearth
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10261077].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
          Originally Posted by oxygenearth View Post

          Hi guys, I assume the same situation occurs with images? with the same thoroughness?
          So I need to look for images that are FREE the same way it occurs with FREE PLR Articles.
          Thanks again.
          Oxygenearth
          Look for royalty free or public domain images. There are tons around. Usually royalty free are not free, public domain should be.

          I copied this yesterday from a post around here (sorry I didn't save the name of the author of the post)

          62 Free Stock Image Sites And How To Use Them For Awesome Landing Pages — OptimizePress

          It's a list of free images sites, some of the pics are public domain, most are probably free with attribution. Free with attribution usually let you use the pic for a post in a website, but can't sell them, post them for free for distribution, or use them for things like t-shirts or prints.

          Loot at the TOS of every site to make sure you are doing things right.

          I usually use: Over 389,515 Free Photos and Textures - FreeImages.com for free images (this is the new version of sxc.hu) for so-so projects and IStockPhoto for the ones that need to be prettier. For covers fotolia has some interesting stuff and the TOS let you use the images that way.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10261225].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
            Originally Posted by jahmeld View Post

            Instead of just copying the content I would simply have it rewritten. You could use a source called iwriter where you could find a writer to achieve this. This is good way to recreate quality content.
            Does that mean that instead of buying a car, I should just steal one and have it repainted?

            Maybe it's red now instead of blue, but it's still stolen.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10261289].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author nofh
            Originally Posted by Sandra Martinez View Post

            Look for royalty free or public domain images. There are tons around. Usually royalty free are not free, public domain should be.

            I copied this yesterday from a post around here (sorry I didn't save the name of the author of the post)

            62 Free Stock Image Sites And How To Use Them For Awesome Landing Pages — OptimizePress

            It's a list of free images sites, some of the pics are public domain, most are probably free with attribution. Free with attribution usually let you use the pic for a post in a website, but can't sell them, post them for free for distribution, or use them for things like t-shirts or prints.

            Loot at the TOS of every site to make sure you are doing things right.

            I usually use: Over 389,515 Free Photos and Textures - FreeImages.com for free images (this is the new version of sxc.hu) for so-so projects and IStockPhoto for the ones that need to be prettier. For covers fotolia has some interesting stuff and the TOS let you use the images that way.
            Thanks fir the free image links.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10262475].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jahmeld
    Instead of just copying the content I would simply have it rewritten. You could use a source called iwriter where you could find a writer to achieve this. This is good way to recreate quality content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259435].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DRP
      Originally Posted by jahmeld View Post

      Instead of just copying the content I would simply have it rewritten. You could use a source called iwriter where you could find a writer to achieve this. This is good way to recreate quality content.
      You should be ashamed of yourself. That's like telling a student that they should rewrite someone else's academic work and pass it off as "quality content". That's plagiarism, and it's unacceptable.
      Signature
      I'd rather tell you an ugly truth than a pretty lie.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ghoster
    if I copy articles from selfgrowth.com
    Just substitute the word 'copy' for 'steal' and you will have your answer.
    Signature

    On the whole, you get what you pay for.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259471].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
      Alright. So... evidently you want content, and you don't want to bother writing it or paying to write it.

      There is something called "curation". It takes content from other places and organizes it in a meaningful way, where "meaningful way" is the key phrase here.

      If you use small snippets, you can get away steal...ahem curating directly.

      If you want full articles, you might want to contact the owner and ask for permission, or for a guest post. Sometimes sites allow part of their already indexed content distributed in exchange of back links.

      Now... if this is what you want to do, beware that you will not rank easily anywhere. So you need a strategy for paid traffic.

      Unless this is just a feeder site?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259569].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnmuck123
    Plagiarism checker will be able to track this kind of work. So you should not do this kinds of job. Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259619].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stevenjcampbell
    Originally Posted by oxygenearth View Post

    Hi Warriors... my question is: What problems, issues or hassles could I have if I copy articles from selfgrowth.com and similar sites and I paste them into my blog in order to have my web content?

    I have already done it with three or four.. and I have pasted the name of the author, his/her picture and contact information that is at the end of the article.

    What items or topics should I pay attention to if I want to do the same with other articles-warehouses?

    Thanks a lot,

    oxygenearth
    Funny, I just started doing a site based on self help, new thinking and law of attraction.
    If you were to copy my copywritten content, I could as the legal owner claim copyright INFRINGEMENT, could I not?

    nothing worth doing is free, create the content, put in the hard work and the rewards are all the riches you desire...

    create good in the world and get good back.
    As a person who is creating a SELF HELP WEBSITE i would expect you to know that lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Don't copy articles from any site that doesn't belong to you first. Take the time and write your articles originally. Plus... how many articles do you need, and how much do you need to produce per day? You can easily write 1 simple article, and re-purpose it in so many different ways. Don't copy - write your own.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10262098].message }}

Trending Topics