Is this absurd or what?

33 replies
So there is a particular affiliate program where the CEO actually charges you a monthly membership fee to earn as an affiliate. I mean you could earn as an affiliate being a basic member but you cant do nothing until you are forced to go premium.....the CEO has it all worked out, he has you open a website within their company website and if you don't pay for your premium membership you dont have access to your website....that is so absurd!

This is like the first affiliate program I have been hearing that you have to pay monthly every month to be paid as an affiliate.....I have not seen any other affiliate program that would charge you a montly membership fee to promote their product.

The program is legit as far as I know but still you shouldnt be charged to be an affiliate to promote something with a montly subscription

How do you guys feel about this?
#absurd
  • Profile picture of the author professorrosado
    Can you sell the product without the website? If you can, then do so!
    If you can't, then its up to you - it doesn't matter what we think. The program will sink or swim on its own merit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10263314].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TAHERSYED34
      Originally Posted by professorrosado View Post

      Can you sell the product without the website? If you can, then do so!
      If you can't, then its up to you - it doesn't matter what we think. The program will sink or swim on its own merit.
      I am not looking for advice whether I should stay or not friend, I am looking to see what you guys literally think about such a situation for an affiliate program. I am looking to see what your perception of the rules of the programs are. I like to read feedbacks
      Signature

      TaherSyed34

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10263367].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Graham
        There are lots of 'Programs' out there that charge you to be a member so that you can then promote their 'product' which is often the membership itself. Personally I would not class these as affiliate programs unless you can promote them without becoming a member.

        I run a membership site myself which anyone can promote as an affiliate, whether they are a member or not. I simply wouldn't use the word 'affiliate' unless non members are able to promote it for you.
        Signature
        Need PLR & Resale Rights Products? Instant Access. LEARN MORE
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10263409].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author KassimTechnics
          There are other programs that require you to pay for you to promote their products/services, so that's not an isolated case.

          For instance, to become an Infusionsoft referral partner you are required to pay $ 500 one time fee and it has a minimum annual sales requirement. (And as Paul Graham has pointed out, they refer to this as 'Partner Referral Program' not an 'Affiliate Program')

          And that's why you will notice other vendors advertising their affiliate programs as 'Free to join'.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10263426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10263623].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TAHERSYED34
      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      It's actually smart business - it weeds out the wannabees who are unproductive. Didn't W+ used to charge a fee to affiliates?

      Personally, I only allow customers to become affiliates.
      I guess that makes sense......i've just grown up to beleive that AM is only about free ways to be allowed to promote something...
      Signature

      TaherSyed34

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299154].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrgoe
    Free attracts more affiliates, paid attracts less but more productive ones. They have to earn to get to 0 at least in terms of profits I have seen both but I don`t really like to be charged to sell a product for someone..
    Signature
    I Use SiteGround For Hosting
    And SpinRewriter For Unlimited, Unique Content.
    Try Them
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10263691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Regional Warrior
    Is this absurd or what?you mean marketing ! more like the thread is
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10263758].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TAHERSYED34
      Originally Posted by Regional Warrior View Post

      Is this absurd or what?you mean marketing ! more like the thread is
      lol ok.........well i just find it outrageous to be charged to promote a product.....but no hard feelings.......technically the guys about my program i am talking about have to keep paying a monthly membership as 'dedicated members' without seeing any conversions on their side.......some get it the first month and some will see it a year later but stilll act dedicated for 12 months before seeing their first sale which might be basic or premium sales; so if the monthly charge is 50 bucks for argument sake, the members have paid 600 for the year before seeing their first profits......as for me? i let that program go for now....lets just say i am learning from another way and saving more money too and when i learn it, i will consider returning back to that program
      Signature

      TaherSyed34

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rainee
    Originally Posted by TAHERSYED34 View Post

    So there is a particular affiliate program where the CEO actually charges you a monthly membership fee to earn as an affiliate. I mean you could earn as an affiliate being a basic member but you cant do nothing until you are forced to go premium.....the CEO has it all worked out, he has you open a website within their company website and if you don't pay for your premium membership you dont have access to your website....that is so absurd!

    This is like the first affiliate program I have been hearing that you have to pay monthly every month to be paid as an affiliate.....I have not seen any other affiliate program that would charge you a montly membership fee to promote their product.

    The program is legit as far as I know but still you shouldnt be charged to be an affiliate to promote something with a montly subscription

    How do you guys feel about this?

    If you are serious about building an affiliate business, you've got to get used to investing in yourself - if you want to be successful.

    Personally, I don't want anyone promoting my done-for-you services if they're not willing to invest minimally in themselves as I invest significantly in each of my associates.

    I guess the real question is, are you really interested in the value offered by this affiliate opportunity or did you just want to make some money?

    If it's the former, an affiliate fee would not prompt you to write this thread. If it's the later, then you may as well quit now because paying an affiliate fee is minor compared to the huge roadblocks your going to face down the road.

    Rain,

    FYI - Roadblocks come with the territory;-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author erob
    This is a simple formula that is used by most people that have a membership site, you can pay to be a part of the service and can use it for the value, and also promote it to make money as well. Sites like this offer recurring commissions which is what you would want anyway. I would rather have 50 people paying me $10 a month and make a recurring $500 check. Look at the benefit of the benefit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264036].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      I know in IM at least that I have never paid to be an affiliate.

      Never !

      That beind said I have purchased about 95% of the programs i have promoted as an affiliate


      - Robert Andrew
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264065].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
        It's either a big rip-off or it's a high value program that's looking for only serious marketers. I'd be curious to know what they offer that average affiliate programs don't offer. Can you give any examples? Just curious. Note: Big promises, pictures of earnings and mansions don't count.
        Signature
        Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
        "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
        "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264088].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author webmarketer
          That's the way he does things. You are not his target audience--or affiliate, for that matter.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264393].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TAHERSYED34
          Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

          It's either a big rip-off or it's a high value program that's looking for only serious marketers. I'd be curious to know what they offer that average affiliate programs don't offer. Can you give any examples? Just curious. Note: Big promises, pictures of earnings and mansions don't count.
          They offer training to learn affiliate marketing with step by step instructions; I have taken their course for 2 months and still have a longg way to go. They offer video trainings, (webinars), they offer lesson plans on what to do hwo to do keyword research using their keyword tool which also they have a monthly subscription for......yeah thats about it.
          Signature

          TaherSyed34

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299147].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TAHERSYED34
        Originally Posted by discrat View Post

        I know in IM at least that I have never paid to be an affiliate.

        Never !

        That beind said I have purchased about 95% of the programs i have promoted as an affiliate
        - Robert Andrew


        How's san antonio i am in arlington here

        i would never pay to be an affiliate; but i do know how to get around with getting free lessons from paid sites from this particular one anyways
        Signature

        TaherSyed34

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299158].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TAHERSYED34
      Originally Posted by erob View Post

      This is a simple formula that is used by most people that have a membership site, you can pay to be a part of the service and can use it for the value, and also promote it to make money as well. Sites like this offer recurring commissions which is what you would want anyway. I would rather have 50 people paying me $10 a month and make a recurring $500 check. Look at the benefit of the benefit.
      Yes read below, i have confirmed that, when i learn how to get those automatic checks......i'll pay a lifetime membership lol no doubt
      Signature

      TaherSyed34

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299159].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onSubie
    I have only seen this with scammy pyramid type programs.

    Basic member is $49/m for access to training. But then they have a whole bunch of levels like gold member or inner circle that go up to $599 then $1500 etc.

    You can only get commissions on what you are buying in at so if you are a $49 member and someone signs up under your affiliate for the whole shebang of $5999+ those commission go to the next person up the line who paid for those levels.

    There is more than one high profile program like this. You see them promoted all over YouTube and the net by guys posing with Ferraris and Porches.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264064].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Originally Posted by TAHERSYED34 View Post

    The program is legit as far as I know but still you shouldnt be charged to be an affiliate to promote something with a montly subscription. How do you guys feel about this?

    I have seen this same approach on a number of occasions. It's just a little twist on the normal marketing model for affiliates.

    Some business owners will do this to screen their affiliates before they approve an affiliate contract. Of course, the theory is that affiliates that pay for the "right" to join the program will be more serious about working the program to earn income.

    Some business owners do this to make their affiliate program seem "exclusive" - kind of like a private membership club.

    Also, I have seen cases where the business owner wants all his affiliates to have already joined a community, or paid for a service, or purchased a particular product before they are allowed to sell that same opportunity.

    So no, it's not absurd to see affiliates paying for the right to sell something. You will see this same model at work after you've been in IM for awhile.

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264494].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TAHERSYED34
      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      I have seen this same approach on a number of occasions. It's just a little twist on the normal marketing model for affiliates.

      Some business owners will do this to screen their affiliates before they approve an affiliate contract. Of course, the theory is that affiliates that pay for the "right" to join the program will be more serious about working the program to earn income.

      Some business owners do this to make their affiliate program seem "exclusive" - kind of like a private membership club.

      Also, I have seen cases where the business owner wants all his affiliates to have already joined a community, or paid for a service, or purchased a particular product before they are allowed to sell that same opportunity.

      So no, it's not absurd to see affiliates paying for the right to sell something. You will see this same model at work after you've been in IM for awhile.

      Steve

      Steven, thanks for the insightful feedback; but being a paid member at this particular program i am referring to, ( i only stayed for 2 months) i realized that some members werent ever members at all and were just spam sign ups that never created their profile but the moderator never seems to clean up all of the junk sign ups that are not even legit sign ups.....these were basic i believe then are never to be seen again; dont know why they do that?
      Signature

      TaherSyed34

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    Originally Posted by TAHERSYED34 View Post

    .the CEO has it all worked out, he has you open a website within their company website and if you don't pay for your premium membership you dont have access to your website....that is so absurd!


    This is the biggest problem I have with this. There are many affiliate programs that require you to be a customer, whether it is a one off product purchase or a membership. I do not think I would pay just to be an affiliate, and I sure as hell would not pay and then let them have total control of my business by owning my website

    al

    Signature

    A bar of iron cost $5. Made into horseshoes, it's worth $12. Made into needles, it's worth $3500. Made into balance springs for watches, it's worth $300,000. Your value is determined by what you are able to make of yourself

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10265394].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
      Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

      This is the biggest problem I have with this. There are many affiliate programs that require you to be a customer, whether it is a one off product purchase or a membership. I do not think I would pay just to be an affiliate, and I sure as hell would not pay and then let them have total control of my business by owning my website

      al
      Many mlm systems work like this. They target as affiliates people who are not already online marketers, and provide the whole package as solution. So people center in what they want them to--that is to bug all their friends and family to distraction.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10265417].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TAHERSYED34
      Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

      This is the biggest problem I have with this. There are many affiliate programs that require you to be a customer, whether it is a one off product purchase or a membership. I do not think I would pay just to be an affiliate, and I sure as hell would not pay and then let them have total control of my business by owning my website

      al
      lol i came in to their website with another ip address on their website to tell everyone of the scammy system they were running and the post i put up there they immediately took down before anyone would read it......but like i said they arent all that bad its just their policies and ways of forcing you to pay them to use all the features that gets to me...
      Signature

      TaherSyed34

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299135].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PremierInfinity
    Originally Posted by TAHERSYED34 View Post

    the CEO has it all worked out, he has you open a website within their company website and if you don't pay for your premium membership you dont have access to your website....that is so absurd!
    To be honest, it sounds like a ripoff to me. If I were you, I'd run away and never look back.
    But it's completely up to you. Caveat.

    "If it's too good to be true, then it probably is."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10265408].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      I think we may be missing some info here. I've known quite a few programs where you need to be a member in order to promote the program...some of them provide you with a "website". Some of them have "free" level options - some require payment.

      I've known sellers who only allow purchasers to sell their product - the theory there is that if you are a buyer you KNOW the product and can represent it honestly.

      We don't know if the OP is asking about a 'program' such as wealthy affiliate or a product line by a particular seller. Is this an mlm...or a coaching program....or a particular ebook or piece of software? We don't know that - so opinions are all over the place.

      For any affiliate product or program - if you don't like the terms, don't promote it.
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
      ***
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10265425].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TAHERSYED34
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post


        For any affiliate product or program - if you don't like the terms, don't promote it.
        That is true.....no body has a gun to your head and says you MUST DO IT..the post is more or less just venting.....i moved on from there but i do still want to come back when i know how to promote affiliate products and then i'd be more than merry to pay a monthly subscription cuz then i wouldnt really care cuz i'd be making the monthly commission paychecks
        Signature

        TaherSyed34

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299138].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TAHERSYED34
      Originally Posted by PremierInfinity View Post

      To be honest, it sounds like a ripoff to me. If I were you, I'd run away and never look back.
      But it's completely up to you. Caveat.

      "If it's too good to be true, then it probably is."
      Well its just weird cuz they are legit but also money hungry...i trust them but i hate them too......point being is that I am not going to commit paying $47 a month; and if i ever do I'd better be making someting out of it
      Signature

      TaherSyed34

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299142].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicolasmd2112
    Sounds like GDI and GVO to me.



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10265557].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author steady0132
    I've only ever come across this once and I didn't bother being an affiliate for it..

    That was the MTTB program..

    Seemed Ok till I read a thread on Warrior about it then I chose to avoid it.

    As I say I've never seen it other than that program but after reading some of the comments on here as to why people do charge people to affiliate their products I can sort of see why they do it. Doubt I'd ever pay anyone to promote their stuff though as there's so many things out there that you can become affiliates for that are free..

    Up to you I suppose
    Signature

    Grab My Free $668 Per Day Commission Making Report...

    WWW.PAUL-STEAD.NET

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10266176].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TAHERSYED34
      Originally Posted by steady0132 View Post

      I've only ever come across this once and I didn't bother being an affiliate for it..

      That was the MTTB program..

      Seemed Ok till I read a thread on Warrior about it then I chose to avoid it.

      As I say I've never seen it other than that program but after reading some of the comments on here as to why people do charge people to affiliate their products I can sort of see why they do it. Doubt I'd ever pay anyone to promote their stuff though as there's so many things out there that you can become affiliates for that are free..

      Up to you I suppose

      Well the guy is legit I can give him that much but he is only getting recruits (sign ups) to promote his business and of course he will charge monthly because he cant pay affiliates until he has a business to promote so basically new guys come and pay him and he pays his affiliates......so thats the only jist of the program.....it makes sense but the structure is just high pressure force to convert to premium cuz you really cant do nothing with basic level...
      Signature

      TaherSyed34

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299130].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Chicas
    Like others have noted, there are many programs that use this business model - there is nothing absurd about that.

    It might not work for you, but who knows, it might work for someone out there. I personally wouldn't recommend such a program.

    It's nothing new.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299146].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TAHERSYED34
      Originally Posted by Chris Chicas View Post

      Like others have noted, there are many programs that use this business model - there is nothing absurd about that.

      It might not work for you, but who knows, it might work for someone out there. I personally wouldn't recommend such a program.

      It's nothing new.
      LOL well i guess to newcomers like me that have never heard of affiliate marketing and being asked to pay a monthly fee, i would see it as absurd becuz i dont know the industry well to realize that it is normal so there you go....
      Signature

      TaherSyed34

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
    Any affiliate program requiring you to pay a fee to join is a scam exactly 100% of the time. No exceptions! This model is especially popular in the get rich quick scheme industry where newbies are conditioned to buy a product to access the affiliate program for that same product. They may also claim that the payment is going towards training materials or hosting, but it's still a scam and one that the Federal Trade Commission has taken action against numerous times in the past.

    The argument that it helps to weed out bad affiliates isn't legitimate. There are many affiliate programs with a bar of entry higher than being able to fill out a join form. These programs require a minimum amount of traffic to be sent. Theory being that if someone can send X number of qualified clicks, they are almost certainly legitimate. Paying a fee to enter the program proves absolutely nothing other than the affiliate was willing to pay a fee to join. It says nothing about their ability to send good traffic, which is why no legitimate affiliate programs do this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299354].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Take it or leave it. You don't need them to succeed and make great money online. I'd leave and move on to the next program.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299485].message }}

Trending Topics