Advice needed - Made over $15,000 in 4 weeks cold calling, how can I leverage this skill?

7 replies
Hey guys,

Firstly, thanks for your time. Takes a good person to click on a thread from a beginner that starts off with "I need your help!" haha

So I'm new to the warrior forum but have been reading up on IM for a very long time and have also recently graduated with a business degree in marketing.

Long story short, I recently graduated and immediately took up a job for a small digital marketing agency in their sales team doing nothing but cold calling.

While this wasn't exactly what I studied for, as an aspiring entrepreneur I knew that sales is a crucial skill to have and took the job to learn exactly that. Also did door to door sales for charity for a few months to learn how to sell well.

Well my first week, I made no sales and no pay (commission) as I was learning and terrible at it but kept going and ended up making over $15,000 in sales over the next 4 weeks. These are completely random cold calls with no structured way to generate leads and the services sold were the same as most other agencies (Websites, seo, etc.). This was also upfront payment for an ongoing service so it could be well over that amount in life time value.

I have since stopped working there to pursue my own passions but my question is, does anyone have any advice on how I would sell ORM over the phone? Considering I sold other forms of digital marketing over the phone and made over $15,000 in 4 weeks, I'm trying to find a way to do something similar with ORM.

Otherwise, does anyone have any advice of how sales skills could merge well with internet marketing or how someone just starting out on their internet marketing path should proceed. I know there is alot of information already available, just wondering if anyone has any additional advice

Thanks a lot everyone

t;l;d;r;

Made over $15,000 in sales in 4 weeks cold calling with deals closed over the phone via credit card. Wondering how I could leverage this skill for my own internet marketing path such as selling ORM.
#$15 #advice #calling #cold #cold call #leverage #made #marketing agency #needed #orm #skill #weeks
  • Hey. Those are fantastic results in what is a difficult industry, so really well done.

    Sounds like you have a good mind for IM.

    How about creating your own information product and launch it, such as a e-book or some basic software regarding sales calls or something along those lines?

    J
    Signature
    Enlighten Marketing
    Lighting the way for your marketing objectives
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10282338].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Regional Warrior
    Mate
    try re posting here you will get better results
    https://www.warriorforum.com/offline-marketing/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10282364].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author morg2k2
      Great results.

      I think you can scale it up, using your method that is successful, probably you can hire a few VAs, coach them with your script, instructions , etc and even if they bring you 30% of what you can make it always again. For example, if you hire 5 VAs and if each one Gathers $5k in sales, then if you hire 5 you can get an extra $25k, if each VA cost you lets say $600-$800 (Good ones), you can see the picture.

      I hope it helps.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10282391].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rapbboy07
        Originally Posted by EnlightenMarketing View Post

        Hey. Those are fantastic results in what is a difficult industry, so really well done.

        Sounds like you have a good mind for IM.

        How about creating your own information product and launch it, such as a e-book or some basic software regarding sales calls or something along those lines?

        J
        Thanks Enlighten, I was going to do something along those lines but less to do with sales calls (As I'm still new to this, this was my first time cold calling) and instead was planning on launching a men's self-help blog and later on, write and launch an e-book with it.


        Originally Posted by Regional Warrior View Post

        Mate
        try re posting here you will get better results
        https://www.warriorforum.com/offline-marketing/
        Will do mate, I didn't notice that section, thanks! I noticed your from Sydney, Australian here too.

        Originally Posted by morg2k2 View Post

        Great results.

        I think you can scale it up, using your method that is successful, probably you can hire a few VAs, coach them with your script, instructions , etc and even if they bring you 30% of what you can make it always again. For example, if you hire 5 VAs and if each one Gathers $5k in sales, then if you hire 5 you can get an extra $25k, if each VA cost you lets say $600-$800 (Good ones), you can see the picture.

        I hope it helps.
        I thought about that but the issue is that its extremely hard to sell over the phone as it is so I doubt it would work in that regard as a key point for the clients is the fact that I was calling locally.

        What I considered however was to use VA's as lead generators. Give them specific criteria to source out leads on my behalf and I can then spend my time calling better qualified leads instead of simply dialing randomly.

        One thing I have been looking into is to identify other services that I could sell well over the phone to do this with.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10282564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    What have you learned about the situations the buyers were in when you first spoke with them? What got them interested in having the conversation with you and telling you a bit about the truth of their situation?

    What words and phrases did you hear over and over from buyers? Because you did hear them. If you made that many dials, you did.

    What did they say, their exact words, that they were experiencing which made them want to keep talking with you? Not in your words...how they said it.

    These are the pain points for the niche, and you can use them in marketing literature and advertisements.

    Since you've done what very few people will do, you have had the opportunity to learn these things and that's a huge advantage.

    Whether it's marketing by phone or any other medium, people have two big technical problems:

    1 > they don't know how to reach the decision maker

    and

    2 > even if they accomplish this, they don't know how to start a conversation effectively so that there IS a "rest of the call" or action taken from the advertising.

    Use what you've learned correctly and you can swiftly do both.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10282421].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rapbboy07
      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      What have you learned about the situations the buyers were in when you first spoke with them? What got them interested in having the conversation with you and telling you a bit about the truth of their situation?

      What words and phrases did you hear over and over from buyers? Because you did hear them. If you made that many dials, you did.

      What did they say, their exact words, that they were experiencing which made them want to keep talking with you? Not in your words...how they said it.

      These are the pain points for the niche, and you can use them in marketing literature and advertisements.

      Since you've done what very few people will do, you have had the opportunity to learn these things and that's a huge advantage.

      Whether it's marketing by phone or any other medium, people have two big technical problems:

      1 > they don't know how to reach the decision maker

      and

      2 > even if they accomplish this, they don't know how to start a conversation effectively so that there IS a "rest of the call" or action taken from the advertising.

      Use what you've learned correctly and you can swiftly do both.

      Wow Jason, I'm really surprised you commented on here. I have to start by saying thanks!

      During my first week (1500+ calls, no sales) I did a lot of research every night to improve and watched a few of your videos and read a few of your posts. I actually printed one of your posts to use as an example while practicing. It was the one with the Italian restaurant if I'm not mistaken where you get the client to state the amount of money that they believe they could make from the service/how much they would be willing to pay before you give them the actual price. I also learnt a lot about improving my introduction from another one of your posts I found while researching on this forum.

      I used that concept of making the client state the value they could receive from the service or their ability to make a R.O.I. and it worked really well. Essentially, after explaining the product, show them the potential number of leads and I would explain the price by saying:

      "Well its only (Dollar Amount) so... (Before they respond) I have to ask you Adam, do you think that over a 6 month period, you could convert enough clients to make back (Dollar Amount)?"

      That made a massive difference and helped with handling objections following it as well.


      The biggest one I learnt is that they don't care about statistics, data or anything along those lines. All they wanted to know was the results and benefits that they will gain from it. Keeping it simple and being a 'consultant' for them also made a massive difference.

      Thanks a lot for that Jason, it's much appreciated. Would you mind giving me some tips regarding building a script for ORM?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10282597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Originally Posted by rapbboy07 View Post

    Hey guys,

    Firstly, thanks for your time. Takes a good person to click on a thread from a beginner that starts off with "I need your help!" haha

    So I'm new to the warrior forum but have been reading up on IM for a very long time and have also recently graduated with a business degree in marketing.

    Long story short, I recently graduated and immediately took up a job for a small digital marketing agency in their sales team doing nothing but cold calling.

    While this wasn't exactly what I studied for, as an aspiring entrepreneur I knew that sales is a crucial skill to have and took the job to learn exactly that. Also did door to door sales for charity for a few months to learn how to sell well.

    Well my first week, I made no sales and no pay (commission) as I was learning and terrible at it but kept going and ended up making over $15,000 in sales over the next 4 weeks. These are completely random cold calls with no structured way to generate leads and the services sold were the same as most other agencies (Websites, seo, etc.). This was also upfront payment for an ongoing service so it could be well over that amount in life time value.

    I have since stopped working there to pursue my own passions but my question is, does anyone have any advice on how I would sell ORM over the phone? Considering I sold other forms of digital marketing over the phone and made over $15,000 in 4 weeks, I'm trying to find a way to do something similar with ORM.

    Otherwise, does anyone have any advice of how sales skills could merge well with internet marketing or how someone just starting out on their internet marketing path should proceed. I know there is alot of information already available, just wondering if anyone has any additional advice

    Thanks a lot everyone

    t;l;d;r;

    Made over $15,000 in sales in 4 weeks cold calling with deals closed over the phone via credit card. Wondering how I could leverage this skill for my own internet marketing path such as selling ORM.
    I too have had much sales experience over the phone. But Iam going to do something a little different today.

    I will point you in the direction of a fellow Warrior, Mr. Claude Whitacre, who is a master of cold calling and sales calls in general.

    You can do a Search on him here.

    He's even authored some books which could really help


    - Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10283015].message }}

Trending Topics