17 replies
HI all,

I'm struggling to find golf targeted traffic.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
#golf #related #traffic
  • Profile picture of the author Silentkiller1
    Adwords is best source for any keyword you want to target. Also you can target audience on Facebook who are interested i n golf but that won't be as good as search.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10290210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pro money
    Try joining in golf related groups in facebook and create your ad or ban over there
    Hope this helps
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10290217].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author walsh259
    I have done the facebook ads and the forums, however, my website is not directly selling any products so it becomes expensive with very little in return.

    I basically have a site with golf tips, polls ect with a built in amazon store and adsense ads.
    I will do a product review and then send that out to my mail list.
    I am still only have a few hundred members signed up and have a low conversion.
    I was planning for long term and building a lot of members on my list and then once in the thousands trying to target them with specific golf products.

    although I'm beginning to think i should just focus on a different niche that could show a return quicker.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10290254].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
      You built a golf portal, trying to serve ALL golfers. You don't need traffic, you need FOCUS. Your thinking is wrong, in trying to build a "list" of thousands of site users, better to have 100 buyers than 10,000 readers.

      Keep the site, but add pages that make offers, in other words, have something to sell NOW.

      gjabiz


      Originally Posted by walsh259 View Post

      I have done the facebook ads and the forums, however, my website is not directly selling any products so it becomes expensive with very little in return.

      I basically have a site with golf tips, polls ect with a built in amazon store and adsense ads.
      I will do a product review and then send that out to my mail list.
      I am still only have a few hundred members signed up and have a low conversion.
      I was planning for long term and building a lot of members on my list and then once in the thousands trying to target them with specific golf products.

      although I'm beginning to think i should just focus on a different niche that could show a return quicker.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10290692].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iangh
    I'm surprised you are struggling to be honest. Golf is very popular and normally played by people mainly males with money, so you are in a good niche.

    As mentioned above you have AdWords but also Ads For Video which is 1 way to get traffic running ads on currant videos on YouTube. You have your targeted audience watching videos on how to improve their swing for example.

    You can also set up a blog and a fan page on Facebook where you can embed videos from YouTube and use the tools Facebook provide in the ad section to narrow down your targeted audience for you to run ads or use re-targeting on the people that have viewed particular content or videos on your fan page.

    All The Best.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10290277].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TrafficFlow
    Why not send your list useful golf tips and in the same email include links to your latest reviews. When I follow that method I get almost 100% open rate vs 10% open rate when I just send them a promotion for a product. Note: I am not in the golf niche.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10290278].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by walsh259 View Post

    HI all,

    I'm struggling to find golf targeted traffic.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I took a look at your site. You seem to have made the classic rookie mistake of trying to be all things to all people. Your home page is cluttered, with sliders and ads and multiple places to go all at once.

    Your popup offer is boring, to be brutally honest. Why should I sign up for your golf tips when I can get the same thing from Golf Digest, pga.com, and many other sources I've actually heard of. You need to create some curiosity.

    Beyond that, you may want to do some homework on an outreach program. Way too much to include in this blog post, but consider things like commenting on popular golf blogs, guest posting, syndicating original content (in both directions) and even just sending friendly emails to site publishers whose content you share.

    This kind of outreach program has both immediate and long term benefits. In the immediate term, you get a link and sometimes an endorsement from someone who already has the audience you want to reach. In the long term, the accumulation of these natural links will help you in the search results.

    Oh, and that "hot female golfer" topic? It's a double edged sword. Half of the world's population is female. Women who find your site will see that you attempt to cover men's golf seriously, while the only entries under Women's Golf are a "rate my rack" style slide show, complete with ratings. Many of them will be offended.

    If your focus is on the good ol' boy male golfer, embrace it. Otherwise, you may want to rethink this feature.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10290340].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author walsh259
      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      I took a look at your site. You seem to have made the classic rookie mistake of trying to be all things to all people. Your home page is cluttered, with sliders and ads and multiple places to go all at once.

      Your popup offer is boring, to be brutally honest. Why should I sign up for your golf tips when I can get the same thing from Golf Digest, pga.com, and many other sources I've actually heard of. You need to create some curiosity.

      Beyond that, you may want to do some homework on an outreach program. Way too much to include in this blog post, but consider things like commenting on popular golf blogs, guest posting, syndicating original content (in both directions) and even just sending friendly emails to site publishers whose content you share.

      This kind of outreach program has both immediate and long term benefits. In the immediate term, you get a link and sometimes an endorsement from someone who already has the audience you want to reach. In the long term, the accumulation of these natural links will help you in the search results.

      Oh, and that "hot female golfer" topic? It's a double edged sword. Half of the world's population is female. Women who find your site will see that you attempt to cover men's golf seriously, while the only entries under Women's Golf are a "rate my rack" style slide show, complete with ratings. Many of them will be offended.

      If your focus is on the good ol' boy male golfer, embrace it. Otherwise, you may want to rethink this feature.
      Hi John,

      Thank you for taking the time to review my site and write a comment.
      I appreciate your comments and agree.
      When i started the website, i was focusing on what i thought would generate the most shares and traffic from posting on facebook. I thought hot women golfer pictures would do well as they are good for the short attention span.
      I was then planning on adding every golf course in the country to the website to build its pages, however that takes alot of time spent on an area that will not generate any income.

      Since i started the website, I have spent alot of time on this forum and learnt about the importance of capturing the leads/ list. Therefore it has been added with a plugin, rather than designed into the website.

      As for the adds, they were originally golf related but then i added Adwords because at least that earns me some peanuts unlike the older ads.


      I probably should have just started again.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10290379].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by walsh259 View Post

        Hi John,

        Thank you for taking the time to review my site and write a comment.
        I appreciate your comments and agree.
        When i started the website, i was focusing on what i thought would generate the most shares and traffic from posting on facebook. I thought hot women golfer pictures would do well as they are good for the short attention span.
        I was then planning on adding every golf course in the country to the website to build its pages, however that takes alot of time spent on an area that will not generate any income.

        Since i started the website, I have spent alot of time on this forum and learnt about the importance of capturing the leads/ list. Therefore it has been added with a plugin, rather than designed into the website.

        As for the adds, they were originally golf related but then i added Adwords because at least that earns me some peanuts unlike the older ads.


        I probably should have just started again.
        I've made the same mistake. Planning a site by myself that would challenge someone with a large team of content creators.

        As for the hot golfers, your reasoning isn't bad. There's a reason why you don't see pot-bellied old men running the beverage carts. But if you're going to go that way, go that way. Make your site for male golfers who finish a round hammered because they can't say no to the pretty girl running the beverage cart.

        Instead of running a general golf store, handpick items that will appeal to this crowd (think drivers with large clubheads, gimmick putters, ways to hide booze on the course, similar novelty or gift items, etc.).

        I'm not recommending you do this; it's your choice. I'm just saying that you should pick a segment of the huge golf market that you can serve as a one-man band, and add something unique. Once you've picked your segment, go for it full on and skip waffling around trying to appeal to everybody.

        Here's another idea -- since you aren't trying to establish yourself as a golf authority, let other people do the heavy lifting for you. Consider your golf course reviews. You don't have to write them yourself. Do spotlight posts, with links to the course, maybe a review site like Trip Advisors, and a Google Earth shot of the course. If you can find an interview with the club pro in a local news outlet, link to that.

        Same with the golf tips. You don't have to write them all yourself. Collect links to groups of specific tips (driving, approach shots, club selection, etc.) and create a list post listing the links to the articles and a couple of sentences about why you chose the article. You could finish the article with links to buy any equipment mentioned (your affiliate links).

        In my experience, Amazon links like this, in context, work way better than the Amazon stores.

        Pick a focus, clean up the site, and look for creative ways you can add value for readers and still incorporate your affiliate links.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10290423].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author walsh259
          HI John,

          Thank you for your input on this.
          I have made changes to the website, creating a better layout, placing more focus on the articles that can generate income. Also created a greater opt-in incentive.

          I am now in the process of creating content that can sell, I agree that, it is better to have a link in the article to Amazon rather than trying to make people buy through the store.
          This does affect the cookie time though, is that likely to have a big impact ?

          Regards
          Liam



          Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

          I've made the same mistake. Planning a site by myself that would challenge someone with a large team of content creators.

          As for the hot golfers, your reasoning isn't bad. There's a reason why you don't see pot-bellied old men running the beverage carts. But if you're going to go that way, go that way. Make your site for male golfers who finish a round hammered because they can't say no to the pretty girl running the beverage cart.

          Instead of running a general golf store, handpick items that will appeal to this crowd (think drivers with large clubheads, gimmick putters, ways to hide booze on the course, similar novelty or gift items, etc.).

          I'm not recommending you do this; it's your choice. I'm just saying that you should pick a segment of the huge golf market that you can serve as a one-man band, and add something unique. Once you've picked your segment, go for it full on and skip waffling around trying to appeal to everybody.

          Here's another idea -- since you aren't trying to establish yourself as a golf authority, let other people do the heavy lifting for you. Consider your golf course reviews. You don't have to write them yourself. Do spotlight posts, with links to the course, maybe a review site like Trip Advisors, and a Google Earth shot of the course. If you can find an interview with the club pro in a local news outlet, link to that.

          Same with the golf tips. You don't have to write them all yourself. Collect links to groups of specific tips (driving, approach shots, club selection, etc.) and create a list post listing the links to the articles and a couple of sentences about why you chose the article. You could finish the article with links to buy any equipment mentioned (your affiliate links).

          In my experience, Amazon links like this, in context, work way better than the Amazon stores.

          Pick a focus, clean up the site, and look for creative ways you can add value for readers and still incorporate your affiliate links.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10295864].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
            Originally Posted by walsh259 View Post

            I am now in the process of creating content that can sell, I agree that, it is better to have a link in the article to Amazon rather than trying to make people buy through the store.
            This does affect the cookie time though, is that likely to have a big impact ?

            Regards
            Liam
            Liam, riddle me this...

            Which is better, a 24 hour cookie that actually gets set, or a longer cookie that no one ever sets because they don't click?

            In addition, just getting them to Amazon opens the possibility of purchasing other items. Upping the ticket is something Amazon does really well.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10296854].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author walsh259
              Hi John,

              I have taken your point on board.
              Is this a better example of the content i should have?
              Tips for Playing Golf in the Rain - Near The Pin

              Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

              Liam, riddle me this...

              Which is better, a 24 hour cookie that actually gets set, or a longer cookie that no one ever sets because they don't click?

              In addition, just getting them to Amazon opens the possibility of purchasing other items. Upping the ticket is something Amazon does really well.
              Signature
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10297011].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
                Originally Posted by walsh259 View Post

                Hi John,

                I have taken your point on board.
                Is this a better example of the content i should have?
                Tips for Playing Golf in the Rain - Near The Pin
                This is much better, although the article itself needs a bit of editing.

                I was going to suggest the YouTube clip, but you beat me to it. (FYI, the name of the movie is Caddyshack, not 'the Bishop's Epic Game' - It's details like this that can blow your credibility.)

                I'd get rid of the Buy Now buttons in favor of a basic link with photo and price automatically added. First, the Buy Now button screams "I'm trying to sell you something, not help you play golf better." Second, you should not include prices unless you are prepared to keep them updated - see Amazon's TOS.

                You're headed in the right direction, though.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10298882].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
        What is/was the intent of your site? From these posts, it seems you thought it would generate income. I apologize if I got the wrong impression.

        Can golf related sites make good money? Absolutely. Can yours? Maybe, but probably not.

        You're asking Internet Marketing questions, but you haven't addressed what the market, or any of the many niches actually want, and BUY.

        You are NOT addressing the needs and WANTS of golfers. You are trying to apply IM, and trying to make it work on a golf site which has nothing unique nor special about it.

        I think this site will never produce INCOME of any significance, unless, you are willing to listen to Golf experience, and get away from the IM thinking.

        Golfers want MORE distance, not a word on your site above the fold about giving them that extra distance.

        Novelty head covers? As the feature? Google it, see your competition and the number is into the thousands. You waste valuable space, which could be used to generate income on a product which is readily available and that people already search for.

        I resent the "hot female golfer" thing too, you say "FREE" golf balls, but it is a contest...

        The site looks nice, but there is nothing unique about it, and unless you start to SELL what golfers want, you are doomed to the peanuts you are now making.

        Use the top, above the fold, to have a strong offer for the average golfer, if that is your target market.

        However, if you love golf and you're doing this as a hobby, well then good job.

        gjabiz

        Originally Posted by walsh259 View Post


        alot of time spent on an area that will not generate any income.

        Since i started the website, I have spent alot of time on this forum and learnt about the importance of capturing the leads/ list. Therefore it has been added with a plugin, rather than designed into the website.

        As for the adds, they were originally golf related but then i added Adwords because at least that earns me some peanuts unlike the older ads.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10296216].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10296225].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author discrat
          You need to be more focused with your Site.

          Is this about how to get close to the Pin via lessons ? Or about golf accessories ?? Or about commentary of the PGA and the players in it ??

          Your doing all three and more at your Site

          Pick one



          - Robert Andrew
          Signature

          Nothing to see here including a Sig so just move on :)

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10296353].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brandon Sean
    Originally Posted by walsh259 View Post

    HI all,

    I'm struggling to find golf targeted traffic.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Facebook is probably your best source of traffic.

    BTW i too took a look at your site and I have one thing to suggest, you should hyperlink some of the text in your articles with your Amazon affiliate link, that will help getting clicks to Amazon link.

    I used to do niche sites promoting various products with Amazon and even if they dont buy golf related products they might even purchase something else. The key here is to get them to click a link and head to the Amazon store.

    I had a garbage disposal review site once and someone bought 1k plus furniture which lead to high $70 commission or something on Amazon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10295909].message }}

Trending Topics