unlimitted email consultation/coaching/support - how often do clients use it?

9 replies
With my new online business, I'm thinking about offering some kind of email consultation/coaching (not business related though).

I'm just want to know (estimate) how often they really use it so that I can kind of calculate how much work I will be doing answering questions etc.

In my own experience as a client, I would use this kind of service a lot in the beginning because I have many unsolved questions (that's why I would hire someone). But as they are solved I stop asking questions that much, and even though I'm paying monthly fees, I would sometimes not use the service at all. However I would think "I might need it next month" and keep the service a few more months.

I was thinking of offering "unlimited email consultation" but I am kind of worried to get bombarded with many many emails. But considering my own experience, it may not be that I get emails everyday from every one of my clients.

It seems a lot of guys here offer coaching, consultation etc., and some offer "unlimited" email support so I wondered if you can share how often you get consultation emails. Of course it probably depends on the niche too, but just to get a general idea...

Thanks!
#clients #email #unlimitted
  • Profile picture of the author Alex The Lion
    There's no concrete answer because as you can guess, it totally depends on the niche and the audience. However, while some people will require more assistance than others, there are a few strategies you can employ to regulate your workload.

    First, once you are set up and have paying clients, if you find yourself with so many clients you are failing to properly serve them, increase your price. This will reduce your workload and allow you to focus your attention on fewer clients and provide more value to them, while maintaining your profit margin.

    Secondly, you can manage email by offering a guaranteed reply within X hours, meaning you can jump onto your email at set times each day and answer everybody in a batch, rather than replying to each email as it comes in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10417361].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ikuret75
      Originally Posted by Alex The Lion View Post

      There's no concrete answer because as you can guess, it totally depends on the niche and the audience. However, while some people will require more assistance than others, there are a few strategies you can employ to regulate your workload.

      First, once you are set up and have paying clients, if you find yourself with so many clients you are failing to properly serve them, increase your price. This will reduce your workload and allow you to focus your attention on fewer clients and provide more value to them, while maintaining your profit margin.

      Secondly, you can manage email by offering a guaranteed reply within X hours, meaning you can jump onto your email at set times each day and answer everybody in a batch, rather than replying to each email as it comes in.
      This is very helpful. Thank you so much.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10417370].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jogunn
      Originally Posted by Alex The Lion View Post

      There's no concrete answer because as you can guess, it totally depends on the niche and the audience. However, while some people will require more assistance than others, there are a few strategies you can employ to regulate your workload.

      First, once you are set up and have paying clients, if you find yourself with so many clients you are failing to properly serve them, increase your price. This will reduce your workload and allow you to focus your attention on fewer clients and provide more value to them, while maintaining your profit margin.

      Secondly, you can manage email by offering a guaranteed reply within X hours, meaning you can jump onto your email at set times each day and answer everybody in a batch, rather than replying to each email as it comes in.
      Wonderful advice there. Replying to your emails in a batch is such a game-changing tip. Also, if you are concerned with being bombarded or keeping up with your work, consider outsourcing tasks that you know you are not the strongest at. This will allow you to hone in your focus and energy on what you're good at and delivering the best service, which will keep bringing in more clients for yourself.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10419472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Killian
    That is a tough one to answer. Though stating "unlimited" might really open the doors for alot of support time. Maybe something like, "As much help as you need"?

    Some of the products I sell require quite a bit of support. While there are some customers that I end up emailing back and forth many many times, when I look at the over all, how many requesting support compared to how many need ALOT of support, there is not really that many over all.

    Can't say that will be the case for you, just my experience.

    And frankly, one customer soaking up all your time can make you think it was a bad idea. So be prepared for that.

    One trick... Over the years I notice when the same questions get asked again and again. So I try to create a PDF explaining it. Next time some one asks, I simply point them to the PDF and tell them to let me know if that helps. I have a several PDF's for that purpose. Maybe you could do that ahead of time?

    And don't forget a FAQ.

    Worst comes to worst you try it out and like Alex said, you change it up.
    Signature
    PLR Affiliate Program Has Launched! Easily Promote Over 5,000 PLR and MRR Products.

    Largest Selection of PLR Articles on the Planet! PLR Ebooks, PLR Video, PLR Websites and more with Private Label Rights
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10417753].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ikuret75
      Originally Posted by Ron Killian View Post

      That is a tough one to answer. Though stating "unlimited" might really open the doors for alot of support time. Maybe something like, "As much help as you need"?

      Some of the products I sell require quite a bit of support. While there are some customers that I end up emailing back and forth many many times, when I look at the over all, how many requesting support compared to how many need ALOT of support, there is not really that many over all.

      Can't say that will be the case for you, just my experience.

      And frankly, one customer soaking up all your time can make you think it was a bad idea. So be prepared for that.

      One trick... Over the years I notice when the same questions get asked again and again. So I try to create a PDF explaining it. Next time some one asks, I simply point them to the PDF and tell them to let me know if that helps. I have a several PDF's for that purpose. Maybe you could do that ahead of time?

      And don't forget a FAQ.

      Worst comes to worst you try it out and like Alex said, you change it up.
      Thanks a lot for your answer! I guess I should just go ahead and see how much my clients would need support
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10419265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
    Is your coaching, etc... solely via email? If it is, then I would expect to get them more at the front-end and taper off as clients master what is being taught.

    Also what you charge is key. If your charging a low price and get many clients, then you could get spanked VS high price and more limited number of clients.

    I do weekly video's and then anything that may not of been clear to someone, something I didn't think about arises or someone has a unique situation, then I get emails. I really don't get a lot though and it's usually just a question to clarify something. I also provide support via phone/skype, but everyone just emails and never calls or skypes. If needed, I will make a video to answer a question(s). The best investment I ever made was buying camtasia for coaching, training, etc...
    Signature
    How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
    20 Years Exp . . . . . . . . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10419267].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ikuret75
      Originally Posted by DIABL0 View Post

      Is your coaching, etc... solely via email? If it is, then I would expect to get them more at the front-end and taper off as clients master what is being taught.

      Also what you charge is key. If your charging a low price and get many clients, then you could get spanked VS high price and more limited number of clients.

      I do weekly video's and then anything that may not of been clear to someone, something I didn't think about arises or someone has a unique situation, then I get emails. I really don't get a lot though and it's usually just a question to clarify something. I also provide support via phone/skype, but everyone just emails and never calls or skypes. If needed, I will make a video to answer a question(s). The best investment I ever made was buying camtasia for coaching, training, etc...
      Great advice, thank you. You answered a lot of things I was wondering about. Esp. the Skype part. I was actually thinking of asking about it too...do I need to do skype. The whole reason I am doing online business is for flexibility so if I have to schedule for skype then it defeats the purpose a bit. Anyway thanks again!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10419272].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
        Originally Posted by ikuret75 View Post

        Great advice, thank you. You answered a lot of things I was wondering about. Esp. the Skype part. I was actually thinking of asking about it too...do I need to do skype. The whole reason I am doing online business is for flexibility so if I have to schedule for skype then it defeats the purpose a bit. Anyway thanks again!
        I think it comes down to your pricing. The less you charge, the more restrictive I think it's acceptable to be. My coaching isn't cheap, so I aim to satisfy the client using whatever form of communication they prefer. If someone wanted to schedule a phone call or skype session, I would zero issue with it. For me, doing videos as the main form of the coaching has been key, as I can be very detail oriented. Which then leaves little unanswered and less follow up support needed.
        Signature
        How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
        20 Years Exp . . . . . . . . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10419377].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amonmag
    There is a plugin available in wordpress which allows you to create a bot and answer question automatically. 60% not so important questions will be answered by robot!
    Signature

    My Dubai Online Magazine !
    If you want to visit Dubai or planning sooner to visit. My website is your only source
    My Dubai Online Magazine

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10419268].message }}

Trending Topics