Amazon's affiliate program

37 replies
I never considered being an amazon affiliate since the commissions are so low, but now that I have a website I think it could bring me some extra random money with no extra work.

Where do I go to sign up as an affiliate for amazon?

Once I'm signed up how do I find something to sell, do I get a link like on Clickbank or what? I don't really get how it works with amazon.

Can you give me some tips that you wish you had when you were first starting with amazon?

What happens if what I'm selling runs out, do I have to always adjust my affiliate links?

I just don't completely understand amazons affiliate program. I have sold with amazon through their kindle direct publishing program, but I've never been an affiliate outside of Clickbank because I've never had a website before.
#affiliate #amazon #program
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

    I never considered being an amazon affiliate since the commissions are so low, but now that I have a website I think it could bring me some extra random money with no extra work.

    Where do I go to sign up as an affiliate for amazon? go to amazon and search for amazon associates program

    Once I'm signed up how do I find something to sell, do I get a link like on Clickbank or what? I don't really get how it works with amazon. Just look around amazon. If you are logged into your associates account there will be the amazon stripe at the top of the page, there are links on this stripe for you to link to the product or page. Just click on one of the links to get your code

    Can you give me some tips that you wish you had when you were first starting with amazon? I wish I had sojourn's product "extreme review"

    What happens if what I'm selling runs out, do I have to always adjust my affiliate links? The good thing about amazon is once a customer lands on amazon via your link, you get commission no matter what they buy. I would only change the link if the item is discontinued, if it is just out of stock let it go for a bit but check frequently and if stock is not replenished then I would change the link

    I just don't completely understand amazons affiliate program. I have sold with amazon through their kindle direct publishing program, but I've never been an affiliate outside of Clickbank because I've never had a website before.
    Once you sign up for the associates program and are on your dashboard there is a link to the community, they have a great forum to learn all about the associates program.

    al
    Signature

    "The problem with the rat race is that even if you win you're still a rat." ~Lilly Tomlin~

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10429437].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
      Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

      Once you sign up for the associates program and are on your dashboard there is a link to the community, they have a great forum to learn all about the associates program.

      al
      Thanks a lot
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10430004].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author godinu
    once you've joined the program and are logged in, any time you see an item you want to promote on amazon itself, you can click the "share link" chain icon at the top of the page. It gives you options to share text links or full ad-style picture links. Just throw some of either into posts on your site (relevant links, of course).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10430024].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
      Originally Posted by godinu View Post

      once you've joined the program and are logged in, any time you see an item you want to promote on amazon itself, you can click the "share link" chain icon at the top of the page. It gives you options to share text links or full ad-style picture links. Just throw some of either into posts on your site (relevant links, of course).
      Sounds like a sweet deal! That way I'll be able to sell to the poor side of my list that can't afford the Clickbank offers.

      I need to get this set up this week. Hopefully I can get myself to do it today, I'll see what happens.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10431167].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ShorelineCosmetics
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10458655].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author xnice
          Amazon affiliate program is great, but you need to know how to use it. Otherwise you will lose your time and get few dollars.
          Signature
          Need Quality Backlinks: Check Out How To Buy Quality Backlinks in 2018?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10458723].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author art72
    I haven't promoted much over there lately... But you may also want to look into their aStore plugin... It's fairly easy to set up, and allows you to select books, products, or a mixture of just about anything in a eCommerce style plugin for your site...

    Again, haven't been over there in a while, so hopefully they still offer the store option.
    Signature
    Coming Soon... *Laser Targeted Lead Generation Services
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10430046].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
      Originally Posted by art72 View Post

      I haven't promoted much over there lately... But you may also want to look into their aStore plugin... It's fairly easy to set up, and allows you to select books, products, or a mixture of just about anything in a eCommerce style plugin for your site...

      Again, haven't been over there in a while, so hopefully they still offer the store option.
      Sounds interesting I'll have to look more into this side of IM when I have the time. I only really know about information businesses. I'm building my first right now but while I build my first product I'm going to sell my list affiliate stuff for clickbank, but I figure why not throw amazon in there too!

      I haven't even began to touch the eCommerce side of things but I'm sure I will eventually, depends on what happens with what I'm working on now.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10431158].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author agmccall
      Originally Posted by art72 View Post

      I haven't promoted much over there lately... But you may also want to look into their aStore plugin... It's fairly easy to set up, and allows you to select books, products, or a mixture of just about anything in a eCommerce style plugin for your site...

      Again, haven't been over there in a while, so hopefully they still offer the store option.
      A better option than this might be prosociate this plugin basically does the same with a lot more features and control as to how it will look on your site

      al
      Signature

      "The problem with the rat race is that even if you win you're still a rat." ~Lilly Tomlin~

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10431162].message }}
  • You can buy whole course or WSOs on this stuff but, as someone mentioned already, Amazon itself is a great resource to learn all about their Associates Program. If you really want to start making real dough though, and not small commissions, learn about Amazon's FBA Program.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10431114].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
      Originally Posted by Michael J Anthony View Post

      You can buy whole course or WSOs on this stuff but, as someone mentioned already, Amazon itself is a great resource to learn all about their Associates Program. If you really want to start making real dough though, and not small commissions, learn about Amazon's FBA Program.
      Thanks. I'll have to look into Amazon's FBA, I've never heard of it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10431143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PassiveIncomes
    Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

    I never considered being an amazon affiliate since the commissions are so low, but now that I have a website I think it could bring me some extra random money with no extra work.

    Where do I go to sign up as an affiliate for amazon?

    Once I'm signed up how do I find something to sell, do I get a link like on Clickbank or what? I don't really get how it works with amazon.

    Can you give me some tips that you wish you had when you were first starting with amazon?

    What happens if what I'm selling runs out, do I have to always adjust my affiliate links?

    I just don't completely understand amazons affiliate program. I have sold with amazon through their kindle direct publishing program, but I've never been an affiliate outside of Clickbank because I've never had a website before.
    You need a lot of things including Azon themes, and all the SEO tools. You need to build a website obviously and go do keyword research, search for best sellers products in Amazon and search for buyer keywords for those products.

    Do SEO! Keep going until you reach #1 page of Google. Then you will see sale coming in and in (endless). SEO is a must-do in regards to promoting products for Amazon.

    Because most of the people will search keywords like buy Apple TV, and you get ranked for that keyword, that visitor hit your website and read the review and got redirect to Amazon you get the sale.

    This is my experience, making few hundreds per month using Amazon program.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10458904].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
      Originally Posted by PassiveIncomes View Post

      You need a lot of things including Azon themes, and all the SEO tools. You need to build a website obviously and go do keyword research, search for best sellers products in Amazon and search for buyer keywords for those products.

      Do SEO! Keep going until you reach #1 page of Google. Then you will see sale coming in and in (endless). SEO is a must-do in regards to promoting products for Amazon.

      Because most of the people will search keywords like buy Apple TV, and you get ranked for that keyword, that visitor hit your website and read the review and got redirect to Amazon you get the sale.

      This is my experience, making few hundreds per month using Amazon program.
      Thank you, I haven't set up an account yet, but I'm thinking more along the lines of promoting a few things from Amazon to my list every once in a while.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459020].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author xnice
        Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

        Thank you, I haven't set up an account yet, but I'm thinking more along the lines of promoting a few things from Amazon to my list every once in a while.
        Be careful, you should not send your amazon links direct to your email list ( Amazon TOS), you should embed it in post and send the post links.
        Signature
        Need Quality Backlinks: Check Out How To Buy Quality Backlinks in 2018?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459130].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
          Originally Posted by xnice View Post

          Be careful, you should not send your amazon links direct to your email list ( Amazon TOS), you should embed it in post and send the post links.
          Thanks for the heads up. I won't be using amazon's affiliate program ever now.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460153].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Luke Dennison
            Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

            Thanks for the heads up. I won't be using amazon's affiliate program ever now.
            Well that escalated quickly.

            Any reason why not?
            Signature
            No Opt In -This FREE Video Reveals The Secret To Building Your First Email List In Less Than 3 Hours!!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460218].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
              Originally Posted by Luke Dennison View Post

              Well that escalated quickly.

              Any reason why not?
              I don't want amazons junk on my site. I was only going to use it to promote some stuff here and there to my list because it could be a little useful to me that way, but or else nope. Doesn't do me any good.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460389].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author myob
          Originally Posted by xnice View Post

          Be careful, you should not send your amazon links direct to your email list ( Amazon TOS), you should embed it in post and send the post links.
          It is a very poor marketing practice to embed any direct affiliate links in emails or other marketing collateral, including blog posts.
          Signature
          “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” – Isaac Newton
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460168].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
            Originally Posted by myob View Post

            It is a very poor marketing practice to embed any direct affiliate links in emails or other marketing collateral, including blog posts.
            People making insane amounts of money doing exactly that would disagree.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460388].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Lucian Lada
            Originally Posted by myob View Post

            It is a very poor marketing practice to embed any direct affiliate links in emails
            Why so? For promoting Clickbank products, for example, why wouldn't it be considered "good practice" to send them straight to the sales page after you've already talked about the product and referred them to a review a few times? In other words, wouldn't this approach be counter-productive after they know everything they need to know about the product?

            Originally Posted by myob View Post

            or other marketing collateral, including blog posts.
            I know you recommend a stand-alone website for each product you promote, but how feasible is that for Clickbank products? You can't really do much besides reviewing it in your own words.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460866].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
              Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

              Why so? For promoting Clickbank products, for example, why wouldn't it be considered "good practice" to send them straight to the sales page after you've already talked about the product and referred them to a review a few times? In other words, wouldn't this approach be counter-productive after they know everything they need to know about the product?



              I know you recommend a stand-alone website for each product you promote, but how feasible is that for Clickbank products? You can't really do much besides reviewing it in your own words.
              Yes I agree. I actually promote stuff indirectly I don't even talk about it or anything. I learned it from a Rob Dyrdek interview.

              He said for his show The Fantasy Factory they would have big companies paying big money to advertise, and then he would build the episode around that advertisement.

              So, if Chevy was paying for advertising he'd like flip a car or something, and everyone just thinks they're watching an episode of their favorite show, which they are, but on another level, they're watching a half hour advertisement for Chevy.

              I think it's genius so I'll give stories or give a lesson and I'll drop in a link but I don't say to click it or anything it's all very indirect, just like during the Fantasy Factory Rob is never like "go buy a Chevy" people watching don't even know he's advertising Chevy, that's how I treat my list so they don't even feel like they're being marketed to.

              My list is very new and I'm very new to having a list so I may change my ways over time, but I really like the indirect approach because then people just feel like I'm just there for them and nothing else.

              Making a new page for every product could be a good idea for certain business models, but for me, I'm with you on just having direct links.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10461034].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author myob
              Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

              People making insane amounts of money doing exactly that would disagree.
              They disagree only for a short period of time.

              Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

              Why so? For promoting Clickbank products, for example, why wouldn't it be considered "good practice" to send them straight to the sales page after you've already talked about the product and referred them to a review a few times? In other words, wouldn't this approach be counter-productive after they know everything they need to know about the product?
              Perhaps the biggest reason for directing all traffic to your own website first is that affiliate products may be discontinued, out of stock, or the vendor may switch to another platform (which is happening now for many products with Clickbank). It is much easier to change affiliate links on your websites or sales pages than to go through all of your marketing promotions with direct links.

              Another reason is that if a direct link appears to be an affiliate link, there is a strong tendency for prospects to chop it off or replace it with their own affiliate extension. Even "encryption" or redirects provide little protection. For example, this can be seen with Clickbank's hoplink impressions without corresponding sales and similar shopping behavior on Amazon through shopping cart abandonment and low sales to visitor ratio.

              In addition, a good marketer should never let prospects think they know enough about a product to make a bad decision (ie not to buy). Engaging your prospects through multiple marketing channels will demonstrate credibility and substance. Ideally, your customers should be conditioned to come to you for niche-relevant advice and product information.

              Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

              I know you recommend a stand-alone website for each product you promote, but how feasible is that for Clickbank products? You can't really do much besides reviewing it in your own words.
              I promote over 400 Clickbank products, and every one of them has its own website. The websites either bypass vendor sales pages completely, or provide commentary to diffuse the often unrealistic hype by vendors. Also, there is always a prominent display of the Clickbank logo with its unconditional 60-day money back guarantee protection policy, along with my own customer service contact information. Similar marketing is used to promote selected (high ticket) Amazon products, with their unconditional 30-day money back guarantee and other limited product warranties.

              Perhaps it should be mentioned again regarding my opinion of the product "review" marketing model. For most affiliates this doesn't work. Writing up a product "review" then sending prospects off to someone else's sales page is really not very smart. They may eventually buy the product, but most likely it won't be from your affiliate link. A better way is to build a trust relationship with an audience, then recommend products that meet their needs and expectations.
              Signature
              “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” – Isaac Newton
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10461121].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
                Originally Posted by myob View Post

                They disagree only for a short period of time.



                Perhaps the biggest reason for directing all traffic to your own website first is that affiliate products may be discontinued, out of stock, or the vendor may switch to another platform (which is happening now for many products with Clickbank). It is much easier to change affiliate links on your websites or sales pages than to go through all of your marketing promotions with direct links.

                Another reason is that if a direct link appears to be an affiliate link, there is a strong tendency for prospects to chop it off or replace it with their own affiliate extension. Even "encryption" or redirects provide little protection. For example, this can be seen with Clickbank's hoplink impressions without corresponding sales and similar shopping behavior on Amazon through shopping cart abandonment and low sales to visitor ratio.

                In addition, a good marketer should never let prospects think they know enough about a product to make a bad decision (ie not to buy). Engaging your prospects through multiple marketing channels will demonstrate credibility and substance. Ideally, your customers should be conditioned to come to you for niche-relevant advice and product information.



                I promote over 400 Clickbank products, and every one of them has its own website. The websites either bypass vendor sales pages completely, or provide commentary to diffuse the often unrealistic hype by vendors. Also, there is always a prominent display of the Clickbank logo with its unconditional 60-day money back guarantee protection policy, along with my own customer service contact information. Similar marketing is used to promote selected (high ticket) Amazon products, with their unconditional 30-day money back guarantee and other limited product warranties.

                Perhaps it should be mentioned again regarding my opinion of the product "review" marketing model. For most affiliates this doesn't work. Writing up a product "review" then sending prospects off to someone else's sales page is really not very smart. They may eventually buy the product, but most likely it won't be from your affiliate link. A better way is to build a trust relationship with an audience, then recommend products that meet their needs and expectations.
                What's the point in sending them to one of your pages that's just going to send them to the real page anyways?

                In my eyes, that's how I make my list feel like I'm trying to get them to buy something if I send them to a page I made and try to sell them on the product and then send them to the actual page.

                Whatever works for you though is all that matters, that's kind of weird though that you give your customer support for other people's products, I'm sure vendors would not like you promoting their stuff if they knew that, unless I misunderstood what you're saying.

                For me though, I learn from the top dogs and then do what they do.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10461648].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author myob
                  Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

                  What's the point in sending them to one of your pages that's just going to send them to the real page anyways?
                  It's called "preselling". Conversion rates can skyrocket when prospects are effectively prepped before being exposed to the "real page".

                  Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

                  In my eyes, that's how I make my list feel like I'm trying to get them to buy something if I send them to a page I made and try to sell them on the product and then send them to the actual page.
                  Generally, it's best to always disclose upfront that you are an affiliate. Some affiliate networks such as Amazon and Clickbank require disclosure either as a disclaimer or specific verbiage. A presell page actually is quite a powerful marketing technique to position yourself favorably as an affiliate and prepare the prospect to be in a positive mindset for the vendor sales message.

                  Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

                  Whatever works for you though is all that matters, that's kind of weird though that you give your customer support for other people's products, I'm sure vendors would not like you promoting their stuff if they knew that, unless I misunderstood what you're saying.
                  Providing customer support for the products you sell as an affiliate not only minimizes refunds, but you are also solidifying a trusting relationship with your customer list. I've got some customers buying Amazon and Clickbank products regularly from me for well over a decade, because they know the products I recommend are top-notch and that I stand behind them. When things do go wrong, resolution seldom involves the product vendor.

                  Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

                  For me though, I learn from the top dogs and then do what they do.
                  This is fairly closely aligned with what the top 1% of affiliates do.
                  Signature
                  “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” – Isaac Newton
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10462717].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
                    Originally Posted by myob View Post

                    It's called "preselling". Conversion rates can skyrocket when prospects are effectively prepped before being exposed to the "real page".



                    Generally, it's best to always disclose upfront that you are an affiliate. Some affiliate networks such as Amazon and Clickbank require disclosure either as a disclaimer or specific verbiage. A presell page actually is quite a powerful marketing technique to position yourself favorably as an affiliate and prepare the prospect to be in a positive mindset for the vendor sales message.



                    Providing customer support for the products you sell as an affiliate not only minimizes refunds, but you are also solidifying a trusting relationship with your customer list. I've got some customers buying Amazon and Clickbank products regularly from me for well over a decade, because they know the products I recommend are top-notch and that I stand behind them. When things do go wrong, resolution seldom involves the product vendor.



                    This is fairly closely aligned with what the top 1% of affiliates do.
                    Maybe you sell in multiple niches and only focus on being an affiliate because that set up is just weird to me.

                    Would a pro tennis player need to pre-sell some tennis racquet or would his followers just trust his recommendation right off the bat?

                    Like I said if it works for you that's all that matters but to me that gives off like the slimy salesman vibe, and I don't want any of my followers to ever get that vibe from me.

                    I want to be seen as the guy that gives so much value people don't need me to pre sell them they just trust my recommendation because it's coming from me.

                    If Tony Hawk tells a skateborder "hey man I use these shoes they're awesome!" that skateboarder will go out and buy those shoes and he doesn't have to feel like Tony Hawk was trying to get him to buy something, Tony Hawk doesn't have to sit there pre-selling and stuff all he has to do is mention something, he doesn't even need to recommend it, he only needs o mention it and people will buy.

                    I would much rather come from that frame and sell to people without them even realizing that they're being sold to, so pre-selling them and all this stuff is never going to be something I'll implement into my business.

                    If it works for you, stick with it but that's not how I do things, and it never will be how I do things.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10463385].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author onSubie
                      Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

                      Would a pro tennis player need to pre-sell some tennis racquet or would his followers just trust his recommendation right off the bat?

                      ...
                      If Tony Hawk tells a skateborder "hey man I use these shoes they're awesome!" that skateboarder will go out and buy those shoes and he doesn't have to feel like Tony Hawk was trying to get him to buy something, Tony Hawk doesn't have to sit there pre-selling and stuff all he has to do is mention something, he doesn't even need to recommend it, he only needs to mention it and people will buy.

                      Pro tennis players do not sell tennis rackets. Nike(?) and other racket manufacturers and brands sell tennis rackets.

                      Tony Hawk does not sell skateboards. Skateboards are sold by the brands and companies that make and sell skateboards.

                      Having a celebrity endorse your product is pre-sales.

                      Companies pay celebrities to endorse their products because that kind of pre-sales works. Many celebrities do not actually use the products the endorse (although they should) and many have been caught out on it.

                      If you are well known enough in your niche that simply recommending a product is enough pre-sales for your customers then that is great. You probably achieved that status through hard work and engaging your audience.

                      But it's still pre-sales.

                      Pre-sales is the information, credibility and endorsements that occur before the sale.

                      When someone sees a commercial of Tony Hawk saying "I love XYZ skateboards and I would never use another brand". That is pre-sales.

                      When they walk into a store and say "I want to buy that skateboard Tony Hawk is using in the commercial" that is the sale.
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10463448].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
                        Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

                        Pro tennis players do not sell tennis rackets. Nike(?) and other racket manufacturers and brands sell tennis rackets.

                        Tony Hawk does not sell skateboards. Skateboards are sold by the brands and companies that make and sell skateboards.

                        Having a celebrity endorse your product is pre-sales.

                        Companies pay celebrities to endorse their products because that kind of pre-sales works. Many celebrities do not actually use the products the endorse (although they should) and many have been caught out on it.

                        If you are well known enough in your niche that simply recommending a product is enough pre-sales for your customers then that is great. You probably achieved that status through hard work and engaging your audience.

                        But it's still pre-sales.

                        Pre-sales is the information, credibility and endorsements that occur before the sale.

                        When someone sees a commercial of Tony Hawk saying "I love XYZ skateboards and I would never use another brand". That is pre-sales.

                        When they walk into a store and say "I want to buy that skateboard Tony Hawk is using in the commercial" that is the sale.
                        You completely missed the point. Do you know what an analogy is?

                        Here, I'll spell it out for you since that's what you need.

                        Pretend Nike is an affiliate for Reebok, and Nike has an e-mail list of people that love Nike. All Nike needs to do (if they're smart) is just mention Reebok with a link, and they will make sales and none of their subscribers will feel like they got sold to or anything. They will never get e-mails from Nike and think "they just want me to buy something" Nike could just be talking and say something like "yea, blah blah blah and I did it with these Reeboks on blah blah blah" and have 'these Reeboks" a clickable link. Nike doesn't say click this link or check out these reeboks or talk about some great pair of Reeboks and then give a link, no, because then people know that Nike just wants them to buy something. See, in this case Nike gets to stay awesome in the eyes of its subscribers and none of them are like F' Nike every e-mail they just want me to buy something.

                        Do you understand now or is that analogy not simple enough to grasp the point?

                        Maybe you shouldn't see things so logically, it's blinding you to be able to grasp concepts without people spelling it out for you, because not everyone is going to spell things out for you.
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10463602].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author onSubie
                          Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

                          You completely missed the point. Do you know what an analogy is?

                          Yes, I do. What was your analogy and what was it analogous to?

                          All I was saying is that any activity before the sales that enhances the buyers desire is 'pre-sales'.

                          You mentioned celebrities as spokes people endorsing products. I was just pointing out that those are actually examples of pre-sales.

                          Even if you don't "do preselling" it does not mean that pre-selling is not part of the sales process.

                          At some point a buyer has to become aware that a product exists. It could be from a friend, it could be from a commercial, it could be because they were researching something they wanted. In any case, some form of pre-sales motivated them to buy one product over another.

                          I think maybe you are just hung up on semantics. I was not arguing with you.
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10463634].message }}
                          • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
                            Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

                            Yes, I do. What was your analogy and what was it analogous to?

                            All I was saying is that any activity before the sales that enhances the buyers desire is 'pre-sales'.

                            You mentioned celebrities as spokes people endorsing products. I was just pointing out that those are actually examples of pre-sales.

                            Even if you don't "do preselling" it does not mean that pre-selling is not part of the sales process.

                            At some point a buyer has to become aware that a product exists. It could be from a friend, it could be from a commercial, it could be because they were researching something they wanted. In any case, some form of pre-sales motivated them to buy one product over another.

                            I think maybe you are just hung up on semantics. I was not arguing with you.
                            You completely missed the point. Do you know what an analogy is?

                            Here, I'll spell it out for you since that's what you need.

                            Pretend Nike is an affiliate for Reebok, and Nike has an e-mail list of people that love Nike. All Nike needs to do (if they're smart) is just mention Reebok with a link, and they will make sales and none of their subscribers will feel like they got sold to or anything. They will never get e-mails from Nike and think "they just want me to buy something" Nike could just be talking and say something like "yea, blah blah blah and I did it with these Reeboks on blah blah blah" and have 'these Reeboks" a clickable link. Nike doesn't say click this link or check out these reeboks or talk about some great pair of Reeboks and then give a link, no, because then people know that Nike just wants them to buy something. See, in this case Nike gets to stay awesome in the eyes of its subscribers and none of them are like F' Nike every e-mail they just want me to buy something.

                            Do you understand now or is that analogy not simple enough to grasp the point?

                            Maybe you shouldn't see things so logically, it's blinding you to be able to grasp concepts without people spelling it out for you, because not everyone is going to spell things out for you.
                            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10463655].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author myob
                      Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

                      Like I said if it works for you that's all that matters but to me that gives off like the slimy salesman vibe, and I don't want any of my followers to ever get that vibe from me.
                      There is nothing wrong with being a salesman, providing you offer real value to your customers. Besides, your followers most likely already expect that eventually you are going to hit them up with a sales pitch. And if you delay the offer too long, they may end up buying from someone else.

                      My funnel system is not just for selling affiliate products, it is designed to bring in and screen prospects from selected demographics for a MLM company, and my marketing consultation services. Most customers, however, just keep buying affiliate products from me, which is fine.

                      The traffic sources are almost exclusively through articles syndicated in online/offline publications that are read by my targeted demographics. By the time these prospects arrive on my product presell sites, they have seen a demonstration of my expertise and understanding of their challenges. Offering solutions is always the top priority.

                      The next stage begins when prospects buy the nominally-priced product and sign up for one of a few dozen of my niche-relevant daily newsletters. The newsletters cover industry-specific news, relevant reports, tips, strategies, stories, a few jokes, and always a promotion for the next product in queue.

                      As this relationship building process continues through successive layers of progressively higher ticket products, I start obtaining additional contact information and personal details from my customers. These include, phone numbers, mailing addresses, marital status, birthdays, anniversaries, vocation, hobbies, etc. Quite often they also become interested in a business opportunity or my consultation services.

                      This information is used to provide custom product solutions through other marketing channels including social media, telemarketing, postal mail, webinars, local seminars, and personal visits. Using this data-driven marketing approach, I can better serve my customers far more effectively and without the "slimy salesman vibe".
                      Signature
                      “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” – Isaac Newton
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10463557].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
                        Originally Posted by myob View Post

                        There is nothing wrong with being a salesman, providing you offer real value to your customers. Besides, your followers most likely already expect that eventually you are going to hit them up with a sales pitch. And if you delay the offer too long, they may end up buying from someone else.

                        My funnel system is not just for selling affiliate products, it is designed to bring in and screen prospects from selected demographics for a MLM company, and my marketing consultation services. Most customers, however, just keep buying affiliate products from me, which is fine.

                        The traffic sources are almost exclusively through articles syndicated in online/offline publications that are read by my targeted demographics. By the time these prospects arrive on my product presell sites, they have seen a demonstration of my expertise and understanding of their challenges. Offering solutions is always the top priority.

                        The next stage begins when prospects buy the nominally-priced product and sign up for one of a few dozen of my niche-relevant daily newsletters. The newsletters cover industry-specific news, relevant reports, tips, strategies, stories, a few jokes, and always a promotion for the next product in queue.

                        As this relationship building process continues through successive layers of progressively higher ticket products, I start obtaining additional contact information and personal details from my customers. These include, phone numbers, mailing addresses, marital status, birthdays, anniversaries, vocation, hobbies, etc. Quite often they also become interested in a business opportunity or my consultation services.

                        This information is used to provide custom product solutions through other marketing channels including social media, telemarketing, postal mail, webinars, local seminars, and personal visits. Using this data-driven marketing approach, I can better serve my customers far more effectively and without the "slimy salesman vibe".
                        Yea I have a completely different business model. If my subscribers are waiting for a sales pitch to an affiliate offer then I'm sorry to disappoint them because they'll never get one.
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10463605].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
                          Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

                          Yea I have a completely different business model. If my subscribers are waiting for a sales pitch to an affiliate offer then I'm sorry to disappoint them because they'll never get one.
                          Justin, just what do you think "hey guys, this is a great product and I recommend it [link]" is?

                          It's a bit lame and way too tame, but it is a sales pitch. And all that value you want to give is the presale.

                          You don't have to come off as some kind of infomercial pitch artist or boardwalk gadget peddler. You've been reading too many long form IM sales letters, many of which redefine the idea of "over the top".

                          I wouldn't dream of telling people "go check out this product" without a "because" after it. It's a proven principle that if you simply tell people to do something, most won't do it. Give them a reason for doing what you say, and many more will go along (especially if there's a benefit for them in that reason).

                          I'd recommend that you pick up a copy of Cialdini's book on influence. It's a classic for a reason.
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10463644].message }}
                          • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
                            Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

                            Justin, just what do you think "hey guys, this is a great product and I recommend it [link]" is?

                            It's a bit lame and way too tame, but it is a sales pitch. And all that value you want to give is the presale.

                            You don't have to come off as some kind of infomercial pitch artist or boardwalk gadget peddler. You've been reading too many long form IM sales letters, many of which redefine the idea of "over the top".

                            I wouldn't dream of telling people "go check out this product" without a "because" after it. It's a proven principle that if you simply tell people to do something, most won't do it. Give them a reason for doing what you say, and many more will go along (especially if there's a benefit for them in that reason).

                            I'd recommend that you pick up a copy of Cialdini's book on influence. It's a classic for a reason.
                            I would NEVER in my life say "hey guys check out this product" I would never say to check out anything, I would NEVER say to click anything, none of that. You people are incapable of understanding anything, but it's not my job to make you understand.

                            Also I've read that book and many more on influence.
                            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10463653].message }}
                            • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
                              Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post

                              I would NEVER in my life say "hey guys check out this product" I would never say to check out anything, I would NEVER say to click anything, none of that. You people are incapable of understanding anything, but it's not my job to make you understand.

                              Also I've read that book and many more on influence.
                              I think you're missing something here. You "learned" your model from an interview about product placement on a cable TV show? And you want to apply it to affiliate marketing?

                              When do you think Rob Dyrdek collects these big product placement fees? Before he even shoots and episode, so his money is in the bank whether Chevrolet or whoever sells one unit or not because of his show? Or after making sales, collecting an affiliate commission only on the sales that can be tracked back to his show?

                              I'll spell it out for you. It's the first one.

                              If you're going to rely on occasional text links with no real call to action, that's your choice. Good luck with that. Us obtuse idiots will keep on making money with our crazy time-tested ideas.

                              But at least safeguard your account by using redirects so Amazon can trace clicks back to your site. Link from emails directly to Amazon, and your account will go poof if you manage to get more than an occasional random click.

                              As for your deeply flawed Nike analogy...

                              Naw, you already know everything so I'd just be putting useless wear and tear on my keyboard. I'll leave it at this - instead of thinking about Nike being an affiliate for Reebok, consider stores like Foot Locker or Champ's Sports being an affiliate for both Nike and Reebok.
                              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10463920].message }}
                              • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
                                Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

                                I think you're missing something here. You "learned" your model from an interview about product placement on a cable TV show? And you want to apply it to affiliate marketing?

                                When do you think Rob Dyrdek collects these big product placement fees? Before he even shoots and episode, so his money is in the bank whether Chevrolet or whoever sells one unit or not because of his show? Or after making sales, collecting an affiliate commission only on the sales that can be tracked back to his show?

                                I'll spell it out for you. It's the first one.

                                If you're going to rely on occasional text links with no real call to action, that's your choice. Good luck with that. Us obtuse idiots will keep on making money with our crazy time-tested ideas.

                                But at least safeguard your account by using redirects so Amazon can trace clicks back to your site. Link from emails directly to Amazon, and your account will go poof if you manage to get more than an occasional random click.

                                As for your deeply flawed Nike analogy...

                                Naw, you already know everything so I'd just be putting useless wear and tear on my keyboard. I'll leave it at this - instead of thinking about Nike being an affiliate for Reebok, consider stores like Foot Locker or Champ's Sports being an affiliate for both Nike and Reebok.
                                You honestly think I base my whole business model off of one thing I heard from Rob Dyrdek? You're funny.

                                How about instead of using Nike and Reebok we just say A and B, so then maybe you guys can stop thinking so literally.

                                I will not be using Amazon ever for anything so I won't be doing any of that.

                                If selling to people on a conscious level, and selling to their thinking, logical side is smart to you, then keep doing it. Whatever works for you is al that matters.

                                For me though, I will continue selling to a part of people that they don't even know exists. I sell to a part of them that is illogical, egotistical, and impulsive.

                                I learn from the cream of the crop and I don't see any reason to take advice from anyone that goes against the cream.

                                There's a reason I put very little time and energy into affiliate marketing. You can become a millionaire with it but it's just not for me, I see things in a different light.

                                Nothing wrong with what you're doing, if it works that's all that matters. Like Mark Cuban says, find something that works and then rinse and repeat.
                                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10463992].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author onSubie
            Originally Posted by myob View Post

            It is a very poor marketing practice to embed any direct affiliate links in emails or other marketing collateral, including blog posts.
            Any AMAZON affiliate link because it is against Amazon ToS.

            For other affiliate programs like Clickbank and many CPA offers (some CPA do not allow email links), this is fine. You want to capture email addresses with an opt-in landing page and promote the offers by email with an autoresponder series rather than sending PPC traffic (for example) directly to an offer sales page.

            Just be sure you are compliant with the ToS of whatever program you are participating in. Amazon does not allow affiliate links in emails, ebooks, etc. but many other programs do.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10461665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    Originally Posted by [Justin] View Post


    Can you give me some tips that you wish you had when you were first starting with amazon?
    You have been given some extremely valuable tips here; many of which have come from highly successful affiliate marketers. But, sorry to have wasted your time and ours.
    Signature
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” – Isaac Newton
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10464084].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author [Justin]
      Originally Posted by myob View Post

      You have been given some extremely valuable tips here; many of which have come from highly successful affiliate marketers. But, sorry to have wasted your time and ours.
      Good point, but I have been given good tips in rude ways and I already said I won't be using Amazon.

      Good point though, thanks for pointing that out to me, I'll have to work on that part of my personality.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10464422].message }}

Trending Topics