On Christmas Day? Seriously?

63 replies
I thought it was bad enough seeing my inbox full of offers yesterday - but on Christmas Day? Are you sure?

To all those marketers that have emailed me today with your latest greatest product - are you so desperate or greedy for every last dollar?

Well, I'll tell you this. After Christmas I shall go through these emails and I'll unsubscribe from every marketer that has emailed me today. I would like to think many others will do the same. You sad, sad people.

Merry Christmas!
#christmas #christmasday #day
  • Profile picture of the author chaotic squid
    Hey I love Christmas too, it's one of my favorite holidays but it's not like the whole world just stops moving.

    I'm in Thailand right now where most of the population is Buddhist. Today has been pretty much a normal day. Christmas is a religious holiday and many people don't celebrate it. Even in places where it's celebrated, many places are still remain open or operate with reduced staff.

    What if you emailed someone in India when it was a religious holiday for them? Do you know of all the holidays of different cultures and countries?

    Maybe the list your on is an autoresponder sequence or maybe the marketer thought they could stand out from the clutter by emailing today. If you don't like it, then just unsubscribe. No need to really create a post about it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    Originally Posted by Charlie Ratcliffe View Post

    I thought it was bad enough seeing my inbox full of offers yesterday - but on Christmas Day? Are you sure?

    To all those marketers that have emailed me today with your latest greatest product - are you so desperate or greedy for every last dollar?

    Well, I'll tell you this. After Christmas I shall go through these emails and I'll unsubscribe from every marketer that has emailed me today. I would like to think many others will do the same. You sad, sad people.

    Merry Christmas!
    Lots of places open for business today. In fact, this will be the best business
    day for a lot of businesses. Airlines, gas stations, hotels ... the list goes on.

    -Ray Edwards

    P.S. And don't forget the Warrior Forum is open today as well. I see lots
    of advertisement on the forum and you are here.
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455596].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by Raydal View Post

      Lots of places open for business today. In fact, this will be the best business
      day for a lot of businesses. Airlines, gas stations, hotels ... the list goes on.

      -Ray Edwards

      P.S. And don't forget the Warrior Forum is open today as well. I see lots
      of advertisement on the forum and you are here.
      Yep, just got back from looking at lights. Hardees/Carls jr was open as well as CVS.

      Interesting enough Mickey D's was closed.

      I think I might Unsubscribe to people who emailed a freebie to me today but forgot to put a PM link to an advanced product that I could purchase and further help me out with my problem. That's just bad customer service
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456308].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rory Singh
      Originally Posted by Raydal View Post

      Lots of places open for business today. In fact, this will be the best business
      day for a lot of businesses. Airlines, gas stations, hotels ... the list goes on.

      -Ray Edwards

      P.S. And don't forget the Warrior Forum is open today as well. I see lots
      of advertisement on the forum and you are here.
      Exactly!

      I have a list and the only email that I 'BROADCAST' yesterday was one with a link to a blog post about the BEST Christmas Gift.

      Had absolutely nothing to do with making money or Internet Marketing.

      However, some marketers have 'follow up' emails (including myself) that fall on any given day (even Sunday lol) based on when the subscriber opted in.

      Don't get too offended OP.
      Signature
      Want to Learn How to Write Your OWN Ticket For Life?
      ==>>ThePowerHouseMarketer.Com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SmartTim
    Originally Posted by Charlie Ratcliffe View Post

    I thought it was bad enough seeing my inbox full of offers yesterday - but on Christmas Day? Are you sure?

    To all those marketers that have emailed me today with your latest greatest product - are you so desperate or greedy for every last dollar?

    Well, I'll tell you this. After Christmas I shall go through these emails and I'll unsubscribe from every marketer that has emailed me today. I would like to think many others will do the same. You sad, sad people.

    Merry Christmas!
    I also received tons of discount and deals for all the tools and services. It is normal to receive such deals on Cyber monday, black friday, Christmas, etc! This js a marketing strategy I also send out my emails to my subscribers and earned about $1200+ now.

    The most popular one is toys. Seems like many people are buying toys as gifts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455602].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Most of those are likely autoresponder emails...

    ...written a long time ago, and sent out automatically. "Don't they know it's Christmas?" No, the autoresponder doesn't. All it knows is today is Day Seven of the series. Plink. There goes today's email.

    Honestly, if you don't want to be surrounded by marketing, you should probably get out of the marketing business.

    Or not check your email on holidays. Or use a different email for marketing than personal. After all, you CHOSE to give these people your personal email address...and you CHOSE to look at their emails today and CHOOSE "Offended" as your emotional response.

    The number of people walking around looking to be offended makes me giggle to contemplate.

    And if you don't want to receive content from these people, why are you on their lists?

    I'm only on a couple, and they specifically DON'T use canned series (Hi, Declan).

    'Course...I'm not desperately looking for magic bullets from deified gurus. So I have no need to be on their lists.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455609].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    Originally Posted by Charlie Ratcliffe View Post

    I thought it was bad enough seeing my inbox full of offers yesterday - but on Christmas Day? Are you sure?

    To all those marketers that have emailed me today with your latest greatest product - are you so desperate or greedy for every last dollar?

    Well, I'll tell you this. After Christmas I shall go through these emails and I'll unsubscribe from every marketer that has emailed me today. I would like to think many others will do the same. You sad, sad people.

    Merry Christmas!
    Pretty arrogant to think that everyone is a Christian and celebrates Christmas, or realizes the importance some of us put into it. Also, those emails you are getting are probably on an autoresponder, I am sure they are sorry there is no algorithm that would not send this information to you and offend you so much. Merry Christmas al
    Signature

    “To succeed, jump as quickly at opportunities as you do at conclusions.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PassiveIncomes
    How are you guys earning today? I believe here are all PRO Internet marketers!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455626].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      I don't think it's arrogant. Christmas is a major holiday in many parts of the world. Smart marketers realize that and tailor their promotions around it. It's no big deal to set up your autoresponder to avoid a major holiday.

      Christmas is a widely celebrated holiday around the world. A marketer who ignores that day may be someone who doesn't attend to the detail of his business or may be tone deaf. I didn't get any emails so far today because I unsubscribed from these folks on one of the previous holidays.

      To me, there is no right or wrong. It's up to the marketers whether they respect the holidays of others or not....it's up to those on the lists whether to opt out or not.
      Signature

      Saving one dog may not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455653].message }}
      • I'm glad you made the point about autoresponders. They don't programme themselves and they can't be set up too much before Christmas otherwise the offers would not be current. I take your point that it's a personal choice of both the marketer and the subscriber. That's why i made the point that i shall be unsubscribing from these particular lists.

        Not everyone celebrates Christmas. True. But most people in the west have a holiday with family at this time of the year and no, I don't know every religious festival of every faith around the world but most people know when it's Christmas whether they celebrate it or not. Most of the culprits are American anyway, with a couple of Brits thrown in.

        By the way, I never said I was offended. I simply questioned the motivation of those who can't even give their list a rest at Christmas. And these aren't all newbies. I've received emails from the some of the most well-known names - one of them sent me three emails in the space of 5 hours!

        To suggest I'm looking to be offended is a ridiculous assumption to make about someone that you have no personal knowledge of.

        One final interesting point. I know many experienced marketers advise to learn from your list and to only post out at the times and on the days that get the best response. Surely Christmas Day can't be one of those days? If it is, there are even more sad people about than I thought.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455994].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tpw
          Originally Posted by Charlie Ratcliffe View Post

          To suggest I'm looking to be offended is a ridiculous assumption to make about someone that you have no personal knowledge of.

          One final interesting point. I know many experienced marketers advise to learn from your list and to only post out at the times and on the days that get the best response. Surely Christmas Day can't be one of those days? If it is, there are even more sad people about than I thought.

          First off to assume that people are being disrespectful if they mail on Christmas day is a ridiculous assumption to make about someone that you have no personal knowledge of.

          Second, if you are on my list, go ahead and unsubscribe now. This year was the first time I haven't mailed on Christmas day in over 6 years.

          The reason I didn't mail had nothing to do with my believing it is a bad thing to do. I didn't do it this year, because I was simply swamped with other work.

          You say we should learn from out lists, and I do. Christmas is an excellent day to mail offers. However, I never mail in the morning, but only in the afternoon after people have spent time with the family.

          Christmas with my kids is done by 10am. Visiting my ex-wife's mom is next on the kid's schedule. Then we do early dinner in the afternoon. The I visit my mom with the kids, in the early evening.

          Everyone is different, but what I have learned from my list is that mornings are for family, and afternoons is when people start buying for themselves again, now that they know how much money they have left after Christmas shopping.

          Also, December 26th is always a strong day for sales, and I will be mailing in the morning.

          There is only one day of the year where I don't see strong sales, and believe it or not, that is actually January 1st. Maybe people are too hung over to properly consider an offer.
          Signature
          Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
          Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456272].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author superowid
            Originally Posted by tpw View Post

            There is only one day of the year where I don't see strong sales, and believe it or not, that is actually January 1st. Maybe people are too hung over to properly consider an offer.
            Now, I can tell my friend here there's always at least 1 contra of everything in this world. Even for online marketing. No 365 days, but 364 days. Thanks to bring this fact.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456297].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TheGMa
          Originally Posted by Charlie Ratcliffe View Post

          One final interesting point. I know many experienced marketers advise to learn from your list and to only post out at the times and on the days that get the best response. Surely Christmas Day can't be one of those days? If it is, there are even more sad people about than I thought.
          Grinning, Charlie! We've followed the same big-time marketers and your point is well-made.

          I was expecting an email from my partner, else I wouldn't have opened my biz account to begin with, but when I did I was a bit taken aback by some of the offers sitting there from the same marketers who bang you over the head about email marketing timing.

          I just rolled my eyes and deleted them. If they made a bunch of sales on Christmas Day, more power to 'em.

          - Annie
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460316].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author asc
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        I don't think it's arrogant. Christmas is a major holiday in many parts of the world. Smart marketers realize that and tailor their promotions around it. It's no big deal to set up your autoresponder to avoid a major holiday.

        Christmas is a widely celebrated holiday around the world. A marketer who ignores that day may be someone who doesn't attend to the detail of his business or may be tone deaf. I didn't get any emails so far today because I unsubscribed from these folks on one of the previous holidays.

        To me, there is no right or wrong. It's up to the marketers whether they respect the holidays of others or not....it's up to those on the lists whether to opt out or not.
        Your sig is one of the most moving things i have read in a while...i actually went back and re-read it a few times, thanks
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456001].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author batchos
        Kay, this is one time I agree with your comments.

        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        I don't think it's arrogant. Christmas is a major holiday in many parts of the world. Smart marketers realize that and tailor their promotions around it. It's no big deal to set up your autoresponder to avoid a major holiday.

        Christmas is a widely celebrated holiday around the world. A marketer who ignores that day may be someone who doesn't attend to the detail of his business or may be tone deaf. I didn't get any emails so far today because I unsubscribed from these folks on one of the previous holidays.

        To me, there is no right or wrong. It's up to the marketers whether they respect the holidays of others or not....it's up to those on the lists whether to opt out or not.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10457509].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author greatness008
    Well Bah-Humbug! Lol. Quit being such a Scrooge, not everybody celebrates Christmas. You have to realize money never sleeps (even on Christmas day.) Happy Holidays!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455660].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Devilfish168
    Originally Posted by Charlie Ratcliffe View Post

    I thought it was bad enough seeing my inbox full of offers yesterday - but on Christmas Day? Are you sure?

    To all those marketers that have emailed me today with your latest greatest product - are you so desperate or greedy for every last dollar?

    Well, I'll tell you this. After Christmas I shall go through these emails and I'll unsubscribe from every marketer that has emailed me today. I would like to think many others will do the same. You sad, sad people.

    Merry Christmas!


    I also got a lot ...First wish Merry christmas..than scroll down..standard selling a product
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455661].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shaunybb
      Merry Christmas warriors
      Signature
      ====>READY To Be Successful Online? FIND OUT more!?<====
      You FAIL online because you have the WRONG information.....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    I have a inbox just for big box retailors... I would say that any and every one that I know I regularly get messages from sent an e-mail today. One being so bold to have in the head line, "Didn't get what you wanted this year?"






    Originally Posted by Charlie Ratcliffe View Post

    I thought it was bad enough seeing my inbox full of offers yesterday - but on Christmas Day? Are you sure?

    To all those marketers that have emailed me today with your latest greatest product - are you so desperate or greedy for every last dollar?

    Well, I'll tell you this. After Christmas I shall go through these emails and I'll unsubscribe from every marketer that has emailed me today. I would like to think many others will do the same. You sad, sad people.

    Merry Christmas!
    Signature
    Tools, Content, and Strategies to Develop Your Online Commerce Business - Coming Soon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    Some top marketers who I am subscribed to emailed me yesterday with holiday wishes. None of them actually emailed today.

    Those who email today are usually newbies but you may have been on their automatic sequence so that is why they emailed you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455719].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Stewart
    Originally Posted by Charlie Ratcliffe View Post

    I thought it was bad enough seeing my inbox full of offers yesterday - but on Christmas Day? Are you sure?

    To all those marketers that have emailed me today with your latest greatest product - are you so desperate or greedy for every last dollar?

    Well, I'll tell you this. After Christmas I shall go through these emails and I'll unsubscribe from every marketer that has emailed me today. I would like to think many others will do the same. You sad, sad people.

    Merry Christmas!

    Hi Charlie,

    Honestly, I used to not like it either until I understood that a lot of them are from autoresponders, as both Jason and Kay already pointed out.

    I've also cleaned my list of subscriptions and rerouted most of them to a second email address a couple years ago, as Jason suggested.

    Finally, most of the handful of emails I received today were just saying "Merry Christmas", but of those that were selling something, the offers were fantastic!

    You must try not to take things too personally in this industry. Not everyone is going to think like you or I do. Yes, you can unsubscribe from their list, but in the long run you may be hurting yourself more than them, especially if one or more of these people are teaching you things that will help you reach your goals.

    Note: Unless someone IS teaching you things that will help you reach your goals, you shouldn't be on their list in the first place, right?

    Try to look past it, smile and have a Merry Christmas! :-)

    Best,

    Joe
    Signature

    My New "Share All" Blog Is Coming Soon! Online & Offline Marketing, More!

    http://www.UnCENTSored.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455733].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author faceseo
    Marry Christmas!
    i'm new here and hope to know more about internet marketing !
    )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455740].message }}
    • Originally Posted by faceseo View Post

      Marry Christmas!
      i'm new here and hope to know more about internet marketing !
      )
      Welcome buddy and good luck!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456007].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Willie Crawford
        I'm entering my 20th year as an "internet marketer" and remember when marketers let up on the weekends, during the summer months when many people take family vacations, and during major holidays.

        I have noticed that now both people with online businesses and brick and mortar businesses seem to press harder, and consider fewer times "off limits."

        Heck, when I was growing up in "The Bible Belt," most stores in my hometown were closed on Sunday, and those which did open, only opened at a certain approved time.

        Like many here, I scan my email and if it interests me, I read it, and if I feel that I'm getting too many of the wrong types of email, I unsubscribe. I've never unsubscribed because of WHEN the message was sent. Usually, it was because I no longer found value in emails from a given sender.

        Willie
        Signature

        Copywriter Carl Galletti ROUTINELY Sold Six Figures During Product Launches. Learn How On This Free Webinar.

        Register Here

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinLee720
    They should be emailing you with Free WSO products as a gift
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455787].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Those who email today are usually newbies
      Good point - and is that who you want to learn from? Maybe it's the
      Christmas Elf's way of pointing out where to unsubscribe....
      Signature

      Saving one dog may not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455797].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author chyan007
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        Good point - and is that who you want to learn from? Maybe it's the
        Christmas Elf's way of pointing out where to unsubscribe....
        Lovely heeheeeee, it could be a way, for how to unsubscribe promotion
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10458895].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
    Life's way too short to waste a nano-second of it giving a damn about
    something as inconsequential as an email from someone you don't
    know and will likely never meet.

    People who are offended by such things are just waking up looking
    for something to be offended by. Priorities, people... seriously.
    Signature
    If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455799].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardworker2013
    I agree that sending affiliate offers to your email list on christmas day is a bit over the top. Christmas day is a day to relax with family and have fun, not to be bombarded with affiliate offers. What i do is wish all my subscribers a merry christmas and a happy new year on this day.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10455998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    Banned
    The day you receive my follow-ups will depend entirely on the day you opt-in. If you opted-in yesterday, you will get email from me today.

    I don't feel the least bit "desperate or greedy or sad."

    The number of people walking around looking to be offended makes me giggle to contemplate.
    What a life...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456064].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chyan007
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Charlie Ratcliffe View Post

    I thought it was bad enough seeing my inbox full of offers yesterday - but on Christmas Day? Are you sure?

    To all those marketers that have emailed me today with your latest greatest product - are you so desperate or greedy for every last dollar?

    Well, I'll tell you this. After Christmas I shall go through these emails and I'll unsubscribe from every marketer that has emailed me today. I would like to think many others will do the same. You sad, sad people.

    Merry Christmas!
    To be honest ,there was no need for a post like this ,either you unsubscribe or continue to get the emails thats the name of this game ,All these emails are from autoresponders

    Anyways Merry Christmas and happy holidays
    Chyanit
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jim Hudson
    I did get a few emails today and opened a couple. One of the biggest brands I aware of mailed today and I read the whole thing. I actually enjoy seeing the case studies and of course there will be a join button at the bottom. Unsubscribe? Hell no!
    Signature

    "In order to get a mental picture..You must first put film in the camera.." Jim Hudson
    Learn how to cloak affiliate links for Facebook for FREE Plus More!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456454].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    YouTube played an ad on Christmas when I was trying to watch a video, I'll never use them again, same for Hulu and the radio station in my car... Pandora played an ad while I was listening to Christmas music, I will never listen to it again...

    Seriously man, listen to yourself, doesn't sound like your cut out for business...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10457015].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jazbo
    People don't turn off autoresponders and not everyone celebrates Christmas.

    So what's the point of the rant?
    Signature
    Need A Writer? Reliable, UK-Based, 5 Years Experience
    No Outsourcing, Just Me - Contentandlinks.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10457035].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Like most everyone else, I got a slew of emails on Christmas Day. Some were blatant ads, from both IM types and big box stores. Ho, hum, read or delete.

      The only ones that came close to irritating me were the ones that started out with a "personal" holiday message and ended with a "by the way, buy my stuff" closing. If you want to send me an ad, just send me the ad. If you really want to send me a personal message, send it. Tomorrow is soon enough for the ad.

      No, I didn't unsubscribe from those lists. I did nearly wear out the delete key on my keyboard, though.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10457303].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Shook
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Like most everyone else, I got a slew of emails on Christmas Day. Some were blatant ads, from both IM types and big box stores. Ho, hum, read or delete.

        The only ones that came close to irritating me were the ones that started out with a "personal" holiday message and ended with a "by the way, buy my stuff" closing. If you want to send me an ad, just send me the ad. If you really want to send me a personal message, send it. Tomorrow is soon enough for the ad.

        No, I didn't unsubscribe from those lists. I did nearly wear out the delete key on my keyboard, though.
        Yup, these are the ones, no matter what market its from, that I no longer pay any attention to.
        Signature


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460456].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author rjd1265
          Some of my top income days are holidays!

          So yes, I can believe they do this.

          What better way to market to someone who has money to burn from their granny's xmas card
          Signature
          Join My Private Facebook Group For Awesome Internet Marketing Strategies and Discussions With the Best Online Marketers!
          Internet Marketing Masterminds.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460476].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicheblogger75
    I mailed my list yesterday. I did exceptionally well and had an above average day in sales. Should I have just left that money on the table because it's a holiday? My answer is no. Many major retail companies are open on Christmas Day and all the other holidays. Why shouldn't my business be open?

    I also made sure to wish my list happy holidays, of course. I had hardly any unsubscribes so I don't think anyone minded. If I do ending up losing a few subscribers over that then so be it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10457356].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    To give people some credit, some are likely scheduled and some are in different time zones.
    Either way, I'm not sure why anyone would try to push anything on Christmas, just seems like bad timing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10457570].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
      Originally Posted by ChrisBa View Post

      To give people some credit, some are likely scheduled and some are in different time zones.
      Either way, I'm not sure why anyone would try to push anything on Christmas, just seems like bad timing
      Because people buy things on Christmas day. Lots of them received
      loaded up Visa debit cards as gifts. If you put the right offer in front
      of them they're excited about getting something they want with the
      money they received.

      You just need to know your audience.
      Signature
      If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459250].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nicheblogger75
        Originally Posted by Tsnyder View Post

        Because people buy things on Christmas day. Lots of them received
        loaded up Visa debit cards as gifts. If you put the right offer in front
        of them they're excited about getting something they want with the
        money they received.

        You just need to know your audience.
        100% spot on. I think not mailing on Christmas would be a big mistake. I had one of the best days of the entire year on Christmas. I made more than half of the money I spent on gifts back that day. Why would I want to miss that? Because it might offend a few people and I'll lose a few subscribers? No biggie. I'll replace them the next day anyway.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459254].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
          I wouldn't stop an autoresponder..

          ..but I also wouldn't go out of my way to complain on Christmas Day, even if it were a broadcast email being sent to me.


          Originally Posted by nicheblogger75 View Post

          100% spot on. I think not mailing on Christmas would be a big mistake. I had one of the best days of the entire year on Christmas. I made more than half of the money I spent on gifts back that day. Why would I want to miss that? Because it might offend a few people and I'll lose a few subscribers? No biggie. I'll replace them the next day anyway.

          I would question though anyone who announces they are not bothered about potentially offending some people with a broadcast on Christmas Day. I'd like to think people value their list more and don't see them as mere replaceables. This changes the angle.

          There's more to Christmas and 'holidays' than oneself and a job in selling (in any form) needn't so aggressive year round. If you stop for once you can witness a moment, rather than shooting out and disregarding those bullets that might bite, which might be tenfold at Christmas time. The clincher though is really announcing lack of concern.

          Good points and not so good points raised now, I feel.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459275].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author nicheblogger75
            Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

            I wouldn't stop an autoresponder..

            ..but I also wouldn't go out of my way to complain on Christmas Day, even if it were a broadcast email being sent to me.





            I would question though anyone who announces they are not bothered about potentially offending some people with a broadcast on Christmas Day. I'd like to think people value their list more and don't see them as mere replaceables. This changes the angle.

            There's more to Christmas and 'holidays' than oneself and a job in selling (in any form) needn't so aggressive year round. If you stop for once you can witness a moment, rather than shooting out and disregarding those bullets that might bite, which might be tenfold at Christmas time. The clincher though is really announcing lack of concern.

            Good points and not so good points raised now, I feel.
            I'm a marketer and a salesman. That's what I do. I'll never apologize for making money, marketing, or selling. I've mailed on every major holiday for the past 8 years and I've come to understand they are some of the best days of the year to sell. Why? Maybe because everyone is home and not working. Maybe because people have holiday money and they want to treat themselves to a new product or software.

            I don't know all the reasons and I don't have all the answers. I just know that a smart businessman does not leave a pile of money on the table, regardless of what day it is. I wonder if Donald Trump would decide not to close a billion dollar deal because it was a holiday? I think not.

            I don't see my subscribers as "replaceables," but let's face it, you are not going to please everybody and when you are dealing with the numbers of subscribers that I am dealing with, there is just no way you can worry about possibly offending an individual subscriber. If you did you would never send out any promos and you would never make any money from your list.

            I got promos on Christmas from many highly successful marketers. Were they being greedy? Absolutely not. They were just being smart businessmen. It's important to understand that Christmas does not mean a thing to a lot of people. I have subscribers from all over the world and there is no way to segment my list to only send to people that don't celebrate Christmas (at least that I know of).

            I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. Maybe some people don't like it, but if I decided not to do something just because somebody might not like it then I never would have started my online business and would still be running the rat race instead of working when I want and basically doing whatever I want whenever I want.

            Another thing I'm going to say that will probably set some people off is that while relationship building is certainly an important fundamental of list building, it's highly overrated. Times have changed and email marketing has changed. I have tried both heavy relationship building and also churn & burn, and from my experiences with both I've learned that I definitely prefer to share content and build relationships, but sometimes it's better to just go for the hard sell.

            I have taken the aspects I like from both methods and combined them to create my own style. My own style is somewhere in the middle. I send out great content and my aim is definitely to help my subscribers achieve their goals, but I also understand that I am in this to make as much money as possible as often as possible. I think anyone who denies that making as much as money as possible is the marketer's ultimate goal is probably lying to themselves.

            Love me or hate me but I'm being 100% honest.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459653].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Joe Ray
              Originally Posted by nicheblogger75 View Post

              I wonder if Donald Trump would decide not to close a billion dollar deal because it was a holiday? I think not.
              That is kind of funny that you bring up Donald Trump to make a point. In your earlier post you said: "I had one of the best days of the entire year on Christmas. I made more than half of the money I spent on gifts back that day."

              Let me tell you, if your best day's income the entire year pays for half of your Christmas presents, you're no Donald Trump.
              Signature
              We make things that do things.
              Smaller - Faster - Cheaper
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459689].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
                That's the problem here on a regular basis.

                People assuming they are Donald Trump. I'm happy just admiring their daughter.

                Originally Posted by nicheblogger75

                I don't see my subscribers as "replaceables," but let's face it, you are not going to please everybody
                Admission of risking losing subs as a result of an action, but expressing confidence that they can just be replaced, is (to my eyes) suggesting your subscribers are replaceable. That too is fair play, but a comment that's perhaps not said aloud by some for various reasons. Your approach is hard sell and risk of consequence rather that relationship and retention.

                Originally Posted by nicheblogger75

                I think anyone who denies that making as much as money as possible is the marketer's ultimate goal is probably lying to themselves.
                There are many people who take pleasure in leaving the desk who aim to make as much money as possible within an allocated time space, to allow them to cast work to the wayside once in a while. Christmas Day being an example.

                Again, I see both sides of the coin.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459753].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
                  Interesting - but for me, a very old topic that gets brought up year after year. I have come to the conclusion that this is all about choices.

                  We choose to sign up to a list.
                  A marketer chooses to email on some "taboo" day.
                  We choose to OPEN said emails on this "taboo" day.
                  We choose to get all up in arms about it.

                  Life goes on. I learned years ago from some VERY successful marketers about emails and open rates, etc. Holidays do well. Simple as that. And it does NOT necessarily make someone desperate, greedy or sad if they email on that day. It makes them an aggressive marketer. Don't like that? Unsubscribe and move on.

                  Simple.

                  One comment on this:

                  Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

                  Admission of risking losing subs as a result of an action, but expressing confidence that they can just be replaced, is (to my eyes) suggesting your subscribers are replaceable. That too is fair play, but a comment that's perhaps not said aloud by some for various reasons. Your approach is hard sell and risk of consequence rather that relationship and retention.
                  That is a fair point, but I see his too. You can't worry about it because in REALITY, he (or you or me) does not see or make a subscriber "replaceable". That is done by the subscribers themselves.

                  One of the lessons I learned from a successful email marketer (and repeated by many others) is that email marketing IS a numbers game. You MUST constantly put in new subscribers or your list WILL get cold. People (especially these days) have a very short attention span and are on MANY lists. You market to them when they are fresh and you make more sales. After a while they will lose interest in your messages and move on. That is a simple fact.

                  If your main source of income is email marketing, you need to keep the "replacements" coming. The relationship building only goes so far. KLT - yes. But you'll most likely never "get to know" them personally.

                  Be honest, know and respond to your list, but understand that no matter HOW good or respectful you try to be someone on your list is bound to get offended about something.

                  LOL - I had a subscriber email me once because I sent out one of those "JibJab" videos that used "holiday" instead of "Christmas" in the title. He was pissed and offended because I had the gall to use Holiday. Even though it wasn't my title. You can't make this stuff up
                  Signature

                  Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460034].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author nicheblogger75
                Originally Posted by Joe Ray View Post

                That is kind of funny that you bring up Donald Trump to make a point. In your earlier post you said: "I had one of the best days of the entire year on Christmas. I made more than half of the money I spent on gifts back that day."

                Let me tell you, if your best day's income the entire year pays for half of your Christmas presents, you're no Donald Trump.
                Obviously I'm no Donald Trump. If you think that the point of my post was to compare myself to Donald Trump, then you've missed the point entirely. The name of any rich businessman or CEO could have been used there. I could have chosen Warren Buffett or Mark Cuban or Bill Gates, etc. The point is that business does not stop just because it's a holiday that many people (but hardly all) celebrate.

                That's alright, though. I completely expected some backlash on that one. That happens when people are passionate about their business and how they conduct it. What's very important to remember is that there are many ways to run a successful online business. We won't always agree on which one is the best, and that's fine also.

                I have been able to see the advantages of two very highly utilized list building strategies, and I have taken the aspects of both and used them to my advantage to create a business which affords me the freedom to work at my leisure while still providing me with a comfortable income. It works for me. That's not to say that it will work for others.

                I think everyone needs to find that happy medium. I understand maybe a lot of people might not want to say that they don't worry about losing subscribers because they know they can replace them, but I think we all know that it's the truth.

                Let me put it this way -- If somehow, someway you lost your entire list of subscribers and had no list all of a sudden, what would you do? Would you sit around and feel sorry for yourself? Maybe some would. Not me. I would immediately put the skills I have developed into place and start replacing those subscribers I lost.

                You are going to lose subscribers, either through unsubscribes, technological glitches or disasters, or an act of nature, etc. If none of us replaced the subscribers we lost then I think our sales would slowly plummet as our subscriber base grew smaller and smaller.

                I don't think any of us likes to replace our subscribers, but we know that we must if we are to sustain and grow our business.

                Anyhow, I know this thread started out as a rant but it's turned into a pretty good debate.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460049].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
                  In fairness, with regards to the subscribers comment, there's a difference between accidental loss and causing loss.

                  We aim to keep caused loss, which is under our control (to an extent), to a minimal.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460149].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
                    Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

                    In fairness, with regards to the subscribers comment, there's a difference between accidental loss and causing loss.

                    We aim to keep caused loss, which is under our control (to an extent), to a minimal.
                    The smart ones do
                    Signature

                    Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460169].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
                    Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

                    In fairness, with regards to the subscribers comment, there's a difference between accidental loss and causing loss.

                    We aim to keep caused loss, which is under our control (to an extent), to a minimal.
                    That might be true if you really had any idea why people unsubscribe.

                    Some will unsub because you said Hi... how are you? Some will unsub
                    because they discover your politics differ from theirs... some because they
                    don't like your grammar or syntax.

                    You have far less control than you seem to think you have... that's why one must
                    constantly be in list building mode. That's the only real control you have.

                    Find someone who built a list of 10K ten years ago then stopped building
                    and just marketed to that list. Ask them how many are still active and responsive.
                    Signature
                    If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460200].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
                      Originally Posted by Tsnyder View Post

                      That might be true if you really had any idea why people unsubscribe.

                      Some will unsub because you said Hi... how are you? Some will unsub
                      because they discover your politics differ from theirs... some because they
                      don't like your grammar or syntax.

                      You have far less control than you seem to think you have... that's why one must
                      constantly be in list building mode. That's the only real control you have.

                      Find someone who built a list of 10K ten years ago then stopped building
                      and just marketed to that list. Ask them how many are still active and responsive.
                      We know people unsubscribe at all other times too and we know that they will unsubscribe for whatever petty reason.

                      The point which I established was (to see the view of the OP) was that Christmas Day is perhaps a prime time when people will be judgemental of your mailings, because, if anything, it's perhaps another reason to unsubscribe. The OP, Q.E.D.

                      Originally Posted by Tsnyder View Post

                      You're certainly entitled to your opinion but don't think for a moment
                      that what you think is actual fact. Mail or don't... doesn't matter to me.
                      This is a tone which you've carried throughout the last few posts in reply to me and others which is a little petulant in fairness. If you'd like to discuss, it's best to reply with a bit more maturity as everyone else has. Costs nowt and I've stated twice that I see both sides.
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460255].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
            Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

            I would question though anyone who announces they are not bothered about potentially offending some people with a broadcast on Christmas Day. I'd like to think people value their list more and don't see them as mere replaceables.
            But that's exactly what they are. Your list... if you have one of any
            size... is comprised of a lot of people you don't know and will likely
            never meet. These people aren't your friends. They aren't inviting
            you over for dinner. You won't be included in their childrens' weddings
            and graduations.

            These are people who OPTED IN because they had an interest in
            what you said you had to offer. Period... nothing more... nothing less.

            And here's what really sucks... it doesn't matter if it's Christmas... people
            opt in AND OUT EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR for a variety of reasons up to,
            and including, the fact that some of them were offended by something you
            said!

            You're certainly entitled to your opinion but don't think for a moment
            that what you think is actual fact. Mail or don't... doesn't matter to me.
            Signature
            If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460198].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mikeink
    Oh HumBug!!! There is one in every crowd.

    You sound like Ebinezer Scrooge, from the book "the Christmas carol". Baaa Humbug!!!!
    Signature

    Well let me see. OH yea need to start work on my ???????? again.
    Been working for slave wages to long.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10458850].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NancyWhflare
    I just want to say you need to calm down and enjoy your holidays while others go on their business. All can be understood.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Ray
    Originally Posted by Charlie Ratcliffe View Post

    I thought it was bad enough seeing my inbox full of offers yesterday - but on Christmas Day? Are you sure?

    To all those marketers that have emailed me today with your latest greatest product - are you so desperate or greedy for every last dollar?

    Well, I'll tell you this. After Christmas I shall go through these emails and I'll unsubscribe from every marketer that has emailed me today. I would like to think many others will do the same. You sad, sad people.

    Merry Christmas!
    I am not really into Christmas and I am not religious. However, I totally get what you mean.

    I think there is something pathetic about using Christmas to promote your stuff. It shows a lack of respect and I would certainly consider this as unprofessional behavior.

    I run several companies, I have been in business offline and online for over 25 years. We send a Merry Christmas email to the companies we already have a business relationship with to thank them for their support. These emails are personal, sincere and we make sure we don't promote anything in these emails. Also we send these emails a couple of days before Christmas on a work day.

    Think about this Charlie, most of the replies to your OP disagree with you but perhaps many of those who did not reply understand what you mean and agree with you.
    Signature
    We make things that do things.
    Smaller - Faster - Cheaper
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459304].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
      Originally Posted by Joe Ray View Post

      I am not really into Christmas and I am not religious. However, I totally get what you mean.

      I think there is something pathetic about using Christmas to promote your stuff. It shows a lack of respect and I would certainly consider this as unprofessional behavior.
      So... you consider the whole of international commerce to be pathetic and unprofessional.

      Every company from Amazon to Zappos uses Christmas to promote
      their stuff. Some beginning as early as September.

      Judgemental nonsense...
      Signature
      If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460186].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author allseowork
    It depends on your product niche, blackfriday always works better than christmas for me
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459334].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Signature
    - Hi -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paleochora
    A couple of points I would like to add...

    Firstly, what type of nonsense is this...?
    I'm glad you made the point about autoresponders. They don't programme themselves and they can't be set up too much before Christmas otherwise the offers would not be current.
    When people join many of my free lead lists, there is an AR sequence set up to introduce both me and my products to them. I don't think that there is anything in Aweber that allows me to stipulate that those mails do not go out on holidays for all of the world's major religions.

    ...And why would those offers go "out of date"?

    Secondly, I think it is the receiver rather than the sender making an error here. Personally, I did not even check any of my business emails from Christmas Eve until the day after Boxing Day. Didn't even open the folders. I was on holiday.

    I checked only my personal emails over the holiday.

    Oh...and I did send a message out to my subscribers on Christmas day. It contained no links or offers, just a message wishing them a happy holiday if, indeed, they were celebrating one. I actually like my subscribers and customers and see no reason why I should not extend the same courtesies as I do to friends & other business acquaintances.

    I saw yesterday that many people had hit reply and sent good wishes back to my family & I

    Lastly, I noticed that I had over $200 worth of sales on Christmas Day even though I was not promoting anything at all... So not everyone is knee deep in turkeys and mince pies, obviously.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459415].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrvendi60
    Actually the Christmas is a religious festival for the Christan Only. So the other religious People will no celebrate this day. So the people of other religion view's may work on this day, if they want. Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460199].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    I can't help but notice you opened your business email on Christmas day. Why?

    Don't you know, we marketers, ever so thoughtful and caring about you sent you messages on Christmas day so you'd have them at the ready the first business day after Christmas?

    Why do you go make a faux pas and blame it on us?

    Do you not control when you read email messages?

    If Christmas is such a Holly day for you, why on earth are you working? Reading email messages? Posting here on Christmas Day about email messages? You did noticed you started your thread on Christmas day, right?

    Are you going to unsubscribe from yourself too?

    Originally Posted by Charlie Ratcliffe View Post

    I thought it was bad enough seeing my inbox full of offers yesterday - but on Christmas Day? Are you sure?

    To all those marketers that have emailed me today with your latest greatest product - are you so desperate or greedy for every last dollar?

    Well, I'll tell you this. After Christmas I shall go through these emails and I'll unsubscribe from every marketer that has emailed me today. I would like to think many others will do the same. You sad, sad people.

    Merry Christmas!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James McAllister
    I sent out a carefully-crafted email blast on Christmas and it was one of my most engaged emails all year.

    Bear in mind I wasn't promoting anything directly, but still.

    I'd hope anyone that threw a temper tantrum over it would unsubscribe because those aren't the type of people I want as subscribers anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460472].message }}

Trending Topics