How do you know if your product is good enough?

30 replies
hi guys

How do you know if your product is good enough?
and how do you know what to improve on your product?
#good #product
  • Profile picture of the author rakota
    Give out review copies.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456436].message }}
    • Originally Posted by rakota View Post

      Give out review copies.
      how does that work? I am very willing to do that
      Signature

      Automate your twitter account with TwitKid.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456441].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rory Singh
    Originally Posted by fredflintstone200 View Post

    How do you know if your product is good enough?
    If your product provides 'value' for your customers, then it's good. Yes things can always improve but take it one step a time.

    Do you feel like there is value in your product?

    If so, then start promoting it.

    If not, then ask yourself why?

    Everything starts with you.

    If you are selling a product that you feel good about and believe in, then chances are you will do well.

    Conclusion:

    If you feel good about your product, start advertising it to your 'target' market.

    Don't be afraid to test the waters.

    If you don't feel good about your own product, ask yourself why and then start making changes and then advertise.
    Signature
    FREE Video: How To Build A Long Term 'Sustainable' Income Online With Affiliate Marketing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456481].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PassiveIncomes
    Originally Posted by fredflintstone200 View Post

    hi guys

    How do you know if your product is good enough?
    and how do you know what to improve on your product?
    Ask for feedback from buyers.
    Give review copies.

    If sale is good, then your product must be good enough.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456485].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author karlstech
    Originally Posted by fredflintstone200 View Post

    hi guys

    How do you know if your product is good enough?
    and how do you know what to improve on your product?
    Ask yourself if it's something you'd personally buy. If yes, then it's more than likely that someone else will. If not, then you can't expect anyone else to buy it.

    A good way of finding out if your product is needed or wanted is to have a look at what your competition is doing and selling.

    Are you providing your customers with a better or worse product? How much are they charging? Why is your product different from theirs? What kind of reviews have they gotten?

    Ask yourself the questions above and if the answers are mostly positive then chances are that a majority of your audience and potential customers may enjoy it.

    But as someone else said, give out a few review copies to some people and ask them for genuine feedback.This is a great way of finding out if other people might enjoy it.

    Good luck!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456488].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Augustinus
    Did you personally buy it for yourself ? Yes or no? think like a buyer

    Provide fellow internet marketers with some review copies
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456553].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    how does that work? I am very willing to do that
    You can post here for $5: Wanted - Members Looking To Hire You
    Be sure to read the rules about [Reviewers Wanted].

    Be careful who you give review copies. Many people troll that forum requesting copies and never providing a review. Depending on your product, you might want to require some qualifier, like number of posts, or previous reviews.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author superowid
    Make some friends with some warriors (who have good reputation) and offer them your product for review personally.
    Signature

    Hard time to keep promoting business? Don't worry!
    JUST USE MY GRAPHIC & VIDEO SERVICES
    . . . . . Let me help cutting your ad production cost! . . . . .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456676].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Originally Posted by fredflintstone200 View Post

    hi guys

    How do you know if your product is good enough?
    and how do you know what to improve on your product?
    Uh oh.

    I hear a warning bell.

    Did you run out and create a product because YOU thought it was a good idea?

    Or did your target market TELL you and then CONFIRM that it was a good idea?

    See, creating things in isolation is the worst idea. SaaS developers do this all the time, and they frequently create a solution nobody wants. Why doesn't anybody want it? Because it doesn't solve a problem the target market considers significant, or even acknowledges exists.

    This is why information interviews, to get to know your target market, are so important.

    Let them tell you what they want.

    I had a lot of sales, writing, business etc. knowledge before I found this forum. But I spent three months in the Offline section, which felt the best for me, just answering questions.

    Seeing what people there wanted.

    Then, when it came time to make a product, it was easy. I knew what they were struggling with, what they valued, because they had kept telling me.

    After that, there was a successive improvement in the product.

    At first it was a 1/2 hour coaching call.

    Then there was a recorded version. Gawd, it was UGLY. I didn't know anything about membership sites or video editing. But people bought and loved it, because the content was great. It solved their big problem about selling.

    A year later I got around to turning it into a membership site.

    Much prettier.

    After that, I split it into two because there was so much content.

    Nowadays it's three sites.

    This is an iterative process, for a flagship product.

    But the quick answer to your question is: your target market told you repeatedly this was a serious problem for them, and you provided a competent solution to it.

    The feedback from your market tells you how good it is. But first, make sure your solution is connected to your target market's reality by having it solve a problem they admit they have.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456835].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      Uh oh.

      I hear a warning bell.

      Did you run out and create a product because YOU thought it was a good idea?

      Or did your target market TELL you and then CONFIRM that it was a good idea?

      See, creating things in isolation is the worst idea. SaaS developers do this all the time, and they frequently create a solution nobody wants. Why doesn't anybody want it? Because it doesn't solve a problem the target market considers significant, or even acknowledges exists.

      This is why information interviews, to get to know your target market, are so important.

      Let them tell you what they want.

      I had a lot of sales, writing, business etc. knowledge before I found this forum. But I spent three months in the Offline section, which felt the best for me, just answering questions.

      Seeing what people there wanted.

      Then, when it came time to make a product, it was easy. I knew what they were struggling with, what they valued, because they had kept telling me.

      After that, there was a successive improvement in the product.

      At first it was a 1/2 hour coaching call.

      Then there was a recorded version. Gawd, it was UGLY. I didn't know anything about membership sites or video editing. But people bought and loved it, because the content was great. It solved their big problem about selling.

      A year later I got around to turning it into a membership site.

      Much prettier.

      After that, I split it into two because there was so much content.

      Nowadays it's three sites.

      This is an iterative process, for a flagship product.

      But the quick answer to your question is: your target market told you repeatedly this was a serious problem for them, and you provided a competent solution to it.

      The feedback from your market tells you how good it is. But first, make sure your solution is connected to your target market's reality by having it solve a problem they admit they have.

      I like your expertise, however I believe we solve a real pain, a real problem.

      My question to you is: What problem or pain does coca cola solve? or apple? or nike?

      I honestly think you can easily do without those companies, and your life will improve.

      How do we market our products?
      Signature

      Automate your twitter account with TwitKid.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459920].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author onSubie
        Originally Posted by fredflintstone200 View Post

        My question to you is: What problem or pain does coca cola solve? or apple? or nike?
        Apples and oranges. You are talking about brands, not products.

        There are many cola and non-cola drinks. Coca-Cola is a brand that has been marketed to the tune of billions of dollars over the years. But there are any number of other drinks that can be used instead. What need does it solve? The need to drink something with a meal. The need to mix something with alcohol. The need to feel included in the "clique".

        And Apple? Another brand marketed with billions of dollars. But it's not a product. There are thousands of phones, endless numbers of tablets, millions of laptops. A phone solves the problem/need of communicating with others over a distance. It solves the problem of having to ride your horse miles and miles to the nearest telegraph service.

        Nike? Seriously, you don't see a need for shoes? There are millions of shoes. Nike is not a product. It is a brand that (do you see a pattern?) has been marketed with billions of dollars.

        It isn't just about solving problems- it is about finding out what your market wants and providing that to them. Choosing to create a product that solves a need simply makes it easier to get sales without the billions in marketing.

        If you create a diet product and do average marketing you will get sales. The market is desperate and buys the same type of products over and over again.

        If you write a sci-fi movie you will need to spend millions marketing it to have any success because people aren't searching out sci-fi movies to solve their problems. Many people enjoy sci-fi movies but you need to spend a lot of money to get your movie in front of them and convince them it is worth shelling out $20 to see.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10459941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinLee720
    One Question is Would you buy it?
    Also Give Out some review copies.
    And Ask For Feed Back from the ones that buy.
    Hope that helps!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456840].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
      Originally Posted by JustinLee720 View Post

      One Question is Would you buy it?
      Also Give Out some review copies.
      And Ask For Feed Back from the ones that buy.
      Hope that helps!
      No, "Would you buy it?" is NOT a good question.

      YOU ARE NOT YOUR CUSTOMER.

      I see you slapping down in your posting spree: quick, vague "advice" that is not just unhelpful, but plain WRONG.

      Slow down, take more time to learn and concentrate on providing value. Because you are not yet at the point where anyone should be taking your advice.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456885].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author discrat
        Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

        No, "Would you buy it?" is NOT a good question.

        YOU ARE NOT YOUR CUSTOMER.

        I see you slapping down in your posting spree: quick, vague "advice" that is not just unhelpful, but plain WRONG.

        Slow down, take more time to learn and concentrate on providing value. Because you are not yet at the point where anyone should be taking your advice.
        I agree with this. Maybe in some instances it could be true. But many times you are NOT your market and never will be.

        I can think of so many situations where this is true.I sold a few products like nobody's' business but it was not anything I would by myself.

        Test, test, test



        - Robert Andrew
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10457382].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hamza5807
    You can give some people free samples of your product to get some reviews and then you can put them with your product ! !!
    Signature

    If you really want to make money online ! Trust me open this and read you won't regret ! Give it at least one try.
    >> http://bit.ly/1J9wphg <<

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10456907].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Handing out "review copies" isn't the answer. At this point, you don't really want reviews, especially "this is way cool" reviews you often get using this kind of approach.

      What you want is specific feedback on specific questions.

      Think about a test launch instead. Sell your product for a rock bottom price on the condition that buyers give ongoing feedback. Then parcel out the product a piece at a time. Ask specific questions like "was Example A clear and easy to understand? What could I have made clearer?" or "were you able to follow my directions and do X?"

      At the end of this process, analyze the feedback you got and incorporate the parts that make sense. Thank everybody who actually participated and give them access to the improved version. Now you're ready to ask them for reviews.

      Make sense?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10457323].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HelenVendo
    Everything is learned in comparison. As for me, I always make competitors research, it helps to determine the disadvantages of your product or services, define what is missing and what are your competitive advantages.
    If your product can compete on the market - it's a good product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460031].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dndoseller
    Well if the product sells and your return rate is less than 5% then its "good enough".

    If you want to know if its good enough to start selling in the first place, then just compare it to an existing successful product or service feature by feature and by price.
    Signature
    DanoSongs.com - Royalty Free Music for Marketing Videos

    No sign up required to try my music in your video.

    Just click to listen and download. No cost to try, only pay when you publish.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460154].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    John has it right, after having launched or been involved in launches of hundreds of products, no matter how well you do your homework, design your product based off of proven demand triggers, ride on the back of popular content, etc... you really don't KNOW how well it will sell until you move through a test launch.

    What you want to do is go through your launch, get it into the hands of as many people as you can and quickly adjust/pivot based on your initial feedback.

    I have also launched products by first teaching a course (in one case, a low-cost weekend seminar, in another a no-cost webinar) that helped me test the system I was about to launch in my course - this turned out to be invaluable as it crystalized the main pieces that held the most value so I could adjust the course to emphasize and augment those areas as well as tune my marketing message to these areas.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10460851].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    Originally Posted by fredflintstone200 View Post

    hi guys

    How do you know if your product is good enough?
    and how do you know what to improve on your product?
    The simplest way is to ask your customers. They will typically tell you what they think.
    I don't like the idea of review copies, typically I think they are abused.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466332].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    Originally Posted by fredflintstone200 View Post

    hi guys

    How do you know if your product is good enough?
    and how do you know what to improve on your product?
    Your REFUND rate would tell you very quickly--at least in the Internet
    Marketing arena.

    If I understand your question correctly you know that the product is
    "good" but question the value level--in other words the price.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466352].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kalambur
    Does your product provide value to your viewers, fans, customers, subscribers? This is the only question to be answered in this case.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466407].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sscot
    (If the niche is IM) That's because I already have made money with it.
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466410].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Your IM Friend
    Another question that pops out is: what's the price of your product?

    Is product good enough will be highly related to expectations of your buyers/target audience, and their expectations will be closely related to product's price.

    I would say that people will have different expectations from $5, $50 and $500 products. I hope you see my point.

    And that doesn't have anything to do with how "large" your product is, how much content it contains, etc. It will actually depend on product's quality and what type of problem it solves.

    And that's where we come to what Jason Kanigan said about doing your research on what your target audience actually wants, or determining what "real life" problem your product solves.

    And also, as couple other people said, test as much as you can. Doing a test launch is fairly cheap, quick and easy these days. Then ask your buyers for honest feedback and see what that brings you.
    Signature

    [FREE DOWNLOAD] Unique list building WordPress theme - quickly and easily create your opt-in page and all funnel pages!
    - - - - -
    Unlimited opt-in pages on a single WordPress site? Proven templates and layouts? DONE! Click here for more info >
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466524].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      Originally Posted by fredflintstone200 View Post

      hi guys

      How do you know if your product is good enough?
      and how do you know what to improve on your product?
      I'm going to cheat here a bit on the answer I have.

      You've been given other good information in this thread, but it goes above and beyond what your initial question is.

      How do you know if your product is good enough?

      Every product simply should do what you say it does. If your product does what it's intended to do then it is done.

      I'm not talking about if anyone wants to buy the product as that wasn't your inquiry.

      Sometimes people will actually write up a brief sales letter with bullet points before even creating their product. Then they go make something that fits those points.

      What are your points? Have you covered them all?

      As for what to improve on your product - I'd let the first round of those using the product give some feedback on that.

      In that case, you can make the product, go ask for some criticism, and learn what people feel might be missing. Then go add that to the product too.
      Signature

      "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466535].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
        Lots of excellent advice in this thread. But just to add to what others have already said.

        Don't feel alone. You've asked the million dollar question (pardon the pun) Apple, Coke, Microsoft and every other major corporation, plus the people giving you advice in this thread ask. That's a question I'm constantly asking myself everyday.

        I like to take the Steve Jobs approach when I can. You don't want to just know when your product is "good enough". You want it to be the best in your niche market - in something, however small.

        Your product has to do or offer something that no one else is doing. If you know your market and your competition (you do - don't you?), make sure you're offering something or somethings no one else has done ... or done as well. That's what your target prospects will latch onto. Then apply the powerful advice others have offered in this thread.
        Signature
        Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
        "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
        "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Benjamin
    The way I know my product is good enough
    is if it's something I would purchase and,
    preferably, have purchased.

    Also, I'm aware my product will never be
    up to my own standards, that it's okay to
    make mistakes and adjust along the way
    according to customer questions and needs.

    That's far better than taking months to
    come up with a consensus that could have
    taken maybe a week with real world testing.
    Signature
    **How I FLIPPED $80 into $690 Pure Profit With ONE EASY Method...2 to 3x Per Week...Only 30 Minutes Per Day (and how YOU can COPY my RESULTS, too!) **CLICK HERE FOR VERIFIED VIDEO PROOF**
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466874].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oppyeaunome
    For me I think that the only way for you to know if your product is any good is if you create it and launch it. Wondering if anything that I have done is good is something that has stopped me in the past from taking action.


    I now know that if you want to make it in internet marketing you have to think less and take more action because the minute you start to overthink anything is the moment that you have failed. The more time you take to think, is the more time you give yourself to think about all of the reasons why you should not release the product.


    So I say release it, get feedback and then improve.


    Take care.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466926].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Originally Posted by fredflintstone200 View Post

    How do you know if your product is good enough?
    Sales and refunds.

    Originally Posted by fredflintstone200 View Post

    ...and how do you know what to improve on your product?
    Sales and refunds.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10467037].message }}
  • How do you find a test group for your product?
    Signature

    Automate your twitter account with TwitKid.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10468184].message }}

Trending Topics