35 replies
Hi.

I'm closing my business on March 1st. My fiverr account as well as my website itself.

Does anyone have any advice how I announce that closing next month?

Maybe someone else has done it before and could offer some advice...

Please and thank you.
#business #closing
  • Profile picture of the author dandagger
    Why not sell off the business?
    Signature

    Hope you have a prosperous 2017!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10509444].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    I can't sale my fiverr account ; I thought about that too!

    Fiverr account : https://www.fiverr.com/chimicawriting

    I've got over 300 positive reviews so it'd be great to sell...

    BUT it's under my own name so I can't let someone just take it.
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10509469].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sumon2k7
      Originally Posted by sweetcrabhoney18 View Post

      I can't sale my fiverr account ; I thought about that too!

      Fiverr account : https://www.fiverr.com/chimicawriting

      I've got over 300 positive reviews so it'd be great to sell...

      BUT it's under my own name so I can't let someone just take it.
      Your Fiverr account is in good condition. Why you want to close? Not important to answer this question. I just think prepare a closing message and upload it your closing business places. Where people will see that your signing off from your business.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514992].message }}
  • Try to sell it, you might get something for it you never know. People sell businesses all the time.
    Signature
    soon people... Relax...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10509473].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    Can't sell a fiverr account since it's under my name. If they allowed for usernames to be changed then of course I'd sale it but since I can't do that it's impossible to sale it.
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10509479].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Back to the original question...

      The best way to announce it is just to announce it. You don't have to give an explanation.

      Thank your past customers and reassure current customers that their orders will be fulfilled.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510444].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
      Originally Posted by sweetcrabhoney18 View Post

      Can't sell a fiverr account since it's under my name. If they allowed for usernames to be changed then of course I'd sale it but since I can't do that it's impossible to sale it.
      if the payments go into a Paypal account why not sell the whole thing?

      The clearing bank account can be changed and if you have proof of earnings...which it sounds like you do....you should be able to sell.

      Even if you can't you could always keep the core business referral system going and sell the front end with the understanding the new owner will start to build their own relationships
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510449].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        She knows she can't sell a personal Fiverr acct or a PP acct that's in her name - so why keep telling her to do it?

        I'd close the Fiverr acct to any more sales with a simple "close" announcement - finish up the jobs I had taken - and then deactivate the acct. Easy to do that - instructions found with google search.

        For the site - you can remove files from cpanel if you want - of just cancel your hosting acct and the site will be taken down quickly. You can repoint the dns to the registrar and let the domain expire.
        Signature
        Saving one dog will not change the world - but for that one dog, the world will change forever.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510482].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    Just tell fiverr to close the account for you. That is what I would do.
    Signature

    .

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    I agree.... I don't want to give an explanation because I don't want people all up in my personal life anyway.

    Of course I will ask fiverr to close the account once the last few delivers are made. I think they have a close account button to make it easy.

    Selling the paypal account ... I'll have to research that. It's still all under my name. If I were to give my paypal account I'd have to create a new one... not sure if I'm up for starting over on paypal too.

    My intent is to close the business and recommend a writer I've been training for the last 6 months to write in a similar format as myself. But because my business is around my name I can't just give it all to them. She has to start over and I have to recommend her. Very stressful since there is no telling if buyers will actually go to her.

    Very nervous about closing it down but it's a must...
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510478].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HCFGrizzly
      Originally Posted by sweetcrabhoney18 View Post

      I agree.... I don't want to give an explanation because I don't want people all up in my personal life anyway.

      Of course I will ask fiverr to close the account once the last few delivers are made. I think they have a close account button to make it easy.

      Selling the paypal account ... I'll have to research that. It's still all under my name. If I were to give my paypal account I'd have to create a new one... not sure if I'm up for starting over on paypal too.

      My intent is to close the business and recommend a writer I've been training for the last 6 months to write in a similar format as myself. But because my business is around my name I can't just give it all to them. She has to start over and I have to recommend her. Very stressful since there is no telling if buyers will actually go to her.

      Very nervous about closing it down but it's a must...
      May I ask why do you want to close down your business.
      Why not just freeze your accounts?
      Me, for example, I haven`t used my freelancer account since last year, but I didn`t close it because you never know when I might need it again.
      You never know what life will bring you. If you have an option to just freeze your fiverr acount, you should take it.
      Signature
      HCF - Where Every Affiliate is Happy, Calm & Focused
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510737].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fredzmints
    You could just pause your gig or something so you could come back sometimes later if needed. And for announcing you can just write on the gig that you are not doing this here anymore and link you your site or something?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    Pausing the gig would stay keep the account active. I don't intend on working on fiverr again. People would still be able to message me too which would be super annoying. I'll think about it though.

    Thank you for the advice Kay. Glad you understand my points.
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510653].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Synnuh
    Is there any reason you can't outsource the gigs to someone else?

    Put together your own team, and just manage bringing in the orders, and editing them to your satisfaction before you send them back out.

    I don't know your personal situation, but it seems like a bad idea to close that account. 300 positive reviews aren't just going to happen again.

    You really want all that work going down the drain? This isn't some "screw it, I'm done" whim, is it?

    Not saying it is, just asking. I don't think it's a good idea to delete that account.

    Even if you have people messaging you, so what. You never know when you'll get a spurt and want some extra cash.

    Like I said, though, I don't know what made you make this decision. I just don't think it's a good one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510671].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    Yep ... I've thought of the outsourcing or just giving the account to someone . But clients refer to me by name so it'd be weird to give it to an outsourcing. Someone could report that and since they don't allow username changes on fiverr I'm kinda stuck.

    I wasn't going to say this publicly but I might as well since I'm going to publish it in March anyway.

    There are two reason I'm closing the business :

    The first is a new career change. I got my notary public commissioning and I'll be enrolling into college . So my time online will be limited.

    The second reason is I think I'm pregnant with my third child. If I'm already working outside the home -- the last thing I'd want to do is come home and deal with clients on fiverr who ask the same questions , are mean to me and want the world for the lowest price possible.

    So yeah ... I've thought long and hard about the outsourcing idea but the company is still under my name and would still need me to be there... which I can't do if I'm working out of the home and dealing with a new baby.

    It might not be a "great" choice but it's the best for me and my family.
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510725].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Synnuh
    I feel you. Definitely justified reasons, and Fiverr not being the prestigious place it once was, I can dig it.

    Congrats on your career change, college, and the bay bay. This year's going to be busy for you.

    If you don't mind me asking, what were the average rates you were getting on Fiverr?

    Wish there was some way to transfer it, my team could use the work and I'd be willing to pay for the book of business -- if the average order totals would justify it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510731].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    Daily rates for sales on fiverr is 5 sales a day. Most buyers only buy single or double stories. Earnings have been crazy low since the holiday ended. I took off like 4 days and it killed it all nearly.

    Nice that you'd like to take it over. It's such a flaw of fiverr. If only they allowed username changes it'd be easier than pie to just push it over and be done with it all. Thanks for understanding and for the congrats

    Been writing for people for 11 years. It's time for a career change that isn't about writing but about getting out of the house.
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510743].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
      I was part of a family business that shut down business in May of 2015 after 37 years. We let the customers know who had schedule work,that they would need to go elsewhere. Any projects in progress were finished. We gave referrals to other quality business if any one asked.
      The last day we put a simple Thank you note on the door and did the same with the voice mail. In my state due to tax and corporate structure the government was informed and has set procedures to follow. Check your state laws and if you have any problems contact a CPA or Lawyer if need be.

      Sometimes people get tired of business or have other reasons to close, just let the OP alone. She does not have to defend herself. She asked a simple question and that is all that needs to be answered.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510763].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bluejeans
      Originally Posted by sweetcrabhoney18 View Post

      Been writing for people for 11 years. It's time for a career change that isn't about writing but about getting out of the house.
      Good luck to you in your new profession and with the addition of a little one in the near future.

      Saving all of your positive reviews is a good idea btw, in case you have need of a testmonial here and there - who knows what opportunities the future might bring?

      Folks close businesses all of the time, and a simple announcement will suffice, explanations are not necessary but always nice to thank your clients for their previous patronage. The tax man will also still need you to keep all of your records for the next 7 years after final filing so don't forget about that either!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10511008].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Saving all those testimonials, reviews, etc. is a great idea.

        Before closing the Fiverr account, I'd also grab some screen shots showing those 300 positive ratings.

        Together, they make a good case for you knowing how to get things done and done well. That's something you may need when you go into the job market with your shiny new degree. To many companies, especially those within screening resumes and applications, "freelancer" and "consultant" are code words for unemployed.

        Your eleven years in business may not be directly related to your new career, but they do show that you know how to get results. Maybe more importantly, that you were getting results rather than sitting on your fanny watching Dr. Phil.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10513905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    Thank you Dwolfe for the much needed advice from someone who's done it before. Means a TON to me. I'm going to look into those things this minute.

    And thanks for the defending of my plan as well. Having support is something I cherish.
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510770].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    She knows she can't sell a personal Fiverr acct or a PP acct that's in her name - so why keep telling her to do it?
    Desperate people assume everyone is as desperate as they are.

    I've deleted entire websites because I didn't want to deal with selling them.

    Some people have motives other than money.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510784].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      It might not be a "great" choice but it's the best for me and my family.
      Sounds like you have your priorities in order - and thas makes the choice right for you.

      You can only do as much as you can do - and if something is eating time and not providing enough income to make it worthwhile....smart to focus on other things.

      Going to school will be more useful to you and your children in the future than 5 gigs a day on Fiverr. Good luck to you.

      One piece of advice - if you have some good testimonials/samples, etc - put those in a file on your computer. 2-3-4 yrs from now you may want to specialize in a certain field of writing or raise some vacation money for your family. The internet isn't going away and the demand for good writers will only increase with time. Those testimonials could help you out in a totally different enterprise in the future - never know.
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but for that one dog, the world will change forever.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    Oh saving the reviews is a great idea! I will so do that Kay ... Thanks for the support and motivation ...

    Yes -- a degree and a new business will support our family much more than 5 orders a day.
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510817].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      You got some good advice, especially from Kay.

      If you had clients you consider good, inform them directly, if possible, that you're closing.

      And save things, reviews, like Kay said, but all the files and databases that make up your site and anything else... They might come in handy some day and, if they do not, you lost only a bit of time saving them and some memory.

      You don't owe an explanation of why you're closing... so a plain statement, if a statement is needed, will do the work.

      Paypal has a refund policy... so, close that account once the refund policy time expires (unless paypal has a way of extracting refund money from you even if the account is closed).

      Good luck with your new career and congrats on the third child.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510869].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author arrival7
        Sweetheart , you really did not have to explain yourself as you did. My hat goes out to you for being a beautiful and brave Woman, mother, and entrepreneur! I wish you the best of luck for whatever you decide to do. Best of Luck
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10510978].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brouchtom
    Your Fiverr account level is 2. I think you should continue the work. You have many good & positive reviews. If you would like to take rest, you should not take more order just now. When you will come back to work, then you will take order again. Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514080].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mousumi1
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    Thank you John for your input and positive feedback. It means a ton to me. I will figure out just how to take some screen shots and save some of those reviews . As soon as possible. I think it should be a help to my resume if I need proof that I'm good at business.

    Can't stand Dr. Phil -- but I am a Judge Judy addict.. LOL.

    Thank you again!
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    OK. I agree with some of what has been said. This is a partial list of action I would suggest.
    Save screen shots of beneficial info such as reviews.
    Put a notice on your own website and blog, depending on if you have both.
    Put a notice in your sig file in here. Do you plan to keep browsing this forum or disappear?
    Ring PayPal and ask what you can do.
    I don't recommend transferring a Fiverr account if it has been in your name for privacy and security reasons.
    Recommending the writer you have trained is a great idea.
    Are you going to shut down your site or leave it open for a while with a referral to your friend?
    Email all your clients to tell them briefly what is happening and say you didn't want to leave them in the lurch so you're recommending your friend who you have been training and who writes like you do.

    I know there are other things you could also do but I hope this list is a start.
    Good luck.You're welcome to pm me anytime if you want more tips or I will tell you if I think of others.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Visit my site for more info

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514966].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kerunai
    write an ebook about your experience there on fiverr

    Signature

    How to Easily Get 300+ Email Subscribers in the Next 6 Hours
    Why list building no longer works like it used to… and what to do about it

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10515333].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      OK. I agree with some of what has been said. This is a partial list of action I would suggest.
      Save screen shots of beneficial info such as reviews.
      Put a notice on your own website and blog, depending on if you have both.
      Put a notice in your sig file in here. Do you plan to keep browsing this forum or disappear?
      Ring PayPal and ask what you can do.
      I don't recommend transferring a Fiverr account if it has been in your name for privacy and security reasons.
      Recommending the writer you have trained is a great idea.
      Are you going to shut down your site or leave it open for a while with a referral to your friend?
      Email all your clients to tell them briefly what is happening and say you didn't want to leave them in the lurch so you're recommending your friend who you have been training and who writes like you do.

      I know there are other things you could also do but I hope this list is a start.
      Good luck.You're welcome to pm me anytime if you want more tips or I will tell you if I think of others.
      Thank you tons for your much needed advice. I'm trying to decide how long I will keep the website up. I just ruined the domain so I think I might just point to her site instead or I may just close down the hosting account. I want to save money you know...

      I love the idea of emailing clients. I think I have a number of them that would need to know ahead of time.

      I turned off my sig but I should delete it completely just in case.

      I still buy stuff online so I won't remove my paypal account just yet.

      Thank you tons for your advice.

      Originally Posted by Sumon2k7 View Post

      Your Fiverr account is in good condition. Why you want to close? Not important to answer this question. I just think prepare a closing message and upload it your closing business places. Where people will see that your signing off from your business.
      I noted above the reasons behind the closing earlier when I opened the posting. My main business locations are in Fiverr and my website.

      Thanks!

      Originally Posted by kerunai View Post

      write an ebook about your experience there on fiverr

      That's not what I'm going to do when I'm going to be too busy with my new goals.

      Creating a book doesn't allow me to step back from being a webmaster instead it adds to the career much more. From the list building to the after buyer marketing. At this point in my life I'd never do that.

      Thanks anyway.
      Signature

      keep moving forward

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10515479].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author salegurus
        People Who Don't Bother reading the OP, Really.....

        Originally Posted by HCFGrizzly View Post

        May I ask why do you want to close down your business.
        Why not just freeze your accounts?
        Me, for example, I haven`t used my freelancer account since last year, but I didn`t close it because you never know when I might need it again.
        You never know what life will bring you. If you have an option to just freeze your fiverr acount, you should take it.
        Originally Posted by brouchtom View Post

        Your Fiverr account level is 2. I think you should continue the work. You have many good & positive reviews. If you would like to take rest, you should not take more order just now. When you will come back to work, then you will take order again. Thanks
        Originally Posted by Sumon2k7 View Post

        Your Fiverr account is in good condition. Why you want to close? Not important to answer this question. I just think prepare a closing message and upload it your closing business places. Where people will see that your signing off from your business.
        Signature
        Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

        ― George Carlin
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10515499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paladinseo
    why u want to close it? just pause your gig
    also why want to close ur website? its not like its a 24/7 work ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10515689].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
      Originally Posted by paladinseo View Post

      why u want to close it? just pause your gig
      also why want to close ur website? its not like its a 24/7 work ...

      Please refer to my other postings about the reason why.

      Thanks!
      Signature

      keep moving forward

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10515709].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BluediamondD
    Oh noooo! I had your website in my favourites for future reference and now I need a plot lol. I'm sorry to hear you are closing your business and fiverr account. Best wishes for the future.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10558628].message }}

Trending Topics