What's the problem with blogging?

48 replies
The struggle is real.

But not for me!

I love to blog and over the past few years it's been the vehicle that's allowed me to write my way to a sweet work-from-home income.

However, to cut to the chase...I've been reading WF long enough to know that the average person around these parts doesn't care for blogging too much and would rather focus on PPC, Solo Ads and other such delights as preferred traffic generation and sales converting methods.

What I really want to know though is WHY? And more specifically...what's your main problem with blogging for business?

Do you flat out not find it effective? Do certain aspects of the blogging process frustrate you? Or can you just not be bothered?

An inquiring mind wants to know....
#blogging #problem
  • Profile picture of the author Mattdawg841
    I think that one of the biggest problems with blogging is that it takes time to build a following and is also time involved in the sense of creating new posts all the time. Other paid traffic generation sources are a lot quicker and yield a faster return for the most part....

    Partner that with the fact that most internet marketers are lazy (why else would they want to just sit in front of a computer and make money).

    And finally, when you do blog, there is no knowing how long it will take for someone to stumble upon your post and take action.

    Just my thoughts
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10511119].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
      Originally Posted by Mattdawg841 View Post

      I think that one of the biggest problems with blogging is that it takes time to build a following and is also time involved in the sense of creating new posts all the time. Other paid traffic generation sources are a lot quicker and yield a faster return for the most part....

      Partner that with the fact that most internet marketers are lazy (why else would they want to just sit in front of a computer and make money).

      And finally, when you do blog, there is no knowing how long it will take for someone to stumble upon your post and take action.

      Just my thoughts

      Hey Matt!

      Thanks for sharing. I agree with you on one thing....this is an IM community so most of us want what we want and we want it now!

      But...

      How many people is that strategy actually working for?

      Not very many according to the statistics. For a lot of successful marketers, including myself, slow and steady wins the race. And more importantly..slow, steady and strategically wins the race.

      Which brings me to your final thought...What if I told you there is a better way?

      Part of blogging is all about putting your content in front of the right people instead of waiting around with your fingers and toes crossed hoping they find you.

      I would go ahead at the risk of being roasted on here and say that I believe that blogging, done right, actually produces faster and more effective results than any other marketing method online!

      I'm guessing that because most IM'ers don't usually approach their venture with the long term vision of say a brick and mortar small business owner, they can see the upside to investing that kind of work (and let's be real...it's a lot!).

      Thanks again and looking forward to more thoughts!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10511151].message }}
  • My guess is work which is a dirty word the proof that this is true is PLR (need I say more?)
    Signature
    soon people... Relax...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10511199].message }}
  • blogging is great. you great good content and it builds and builds up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10511204].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sitestomp
    1) It's very time consuming to maintain a successful blog.
    2) Not everyone feels comfortable writing. Perhaps they just can't put their thoughts into words. Or maybe they just don't like writing.

    I think those would be the two most basic factors as to why more people aren't blogging on a consistent basis. There's no doubt that a well written blog brings in the traffic, especially for really niche markets, but not everyone has the time or desire to do it.
    Signature
    ** Professional, Quality, and Experienced Conversion Website Designer **
    I can handle all your web design needs | Skype: Sitestomp


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10511258].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marcus W K Wong
      Originally Posted by Sitestomp View Post

      1) It's very time consuming to maintain a successful blog.
      Amen to that! good content is hard to come by; GREAT content is even harder to produce. It's hard to predict niche's and what each market requires.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10511278].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
        Originally Posted by WFMarcus View Post

        Amen to that! good content is hard to come by; GREAT content is even harder to produce. It's hard to predict niche's and what each market requires.
        This is definitely true!

        And I think that's a major part of the problem and the opportunity.

        So few people are creating actual valuable content these days that the time is ripe for anyone who really takes the time to put in the work and get the results.

        I dare say its easier than ever to dominate a niche with content IF you can manage to get great content out there on a consistent basis.

        Also, unless you're marketing in a niche that's brand new (and is there such a thing?) there are tons of ways to know what your audience wants and likes to see.

        I think it's really just a matter of doing the research leg work, assessing what's out there and making a strategic plan for your own blog.

        I'd really love to see more talk on WF about the true value and application of a well-designed content strategy and consistent blog writing. It's like looking for a unicorn in here...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10511296].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
      Originally Posted by Sitestomp View Post

      1) It's very time consuming to maintain a successful blog.
      2) Not everyone feels comfortable writing. Perhaps they just can't put their thoughts into words. Or maybe they just don't like writing.

      I think those would be the two most basic factors as to why more people aren't blogging on a consistent basis. There's no doubt that a well written blog brings in the traffic, especially for really niche markets, but not everyone has the time or desire to do it.
      Thanks for sharing!

      That's very true that it takes time and effort to write blog posts on a consistent basis, but don't you think it's worth it?

      I mean, you run a PPC campaign or a Solo Ad and once it's over the action stops and traffic stats drop off a cliff. For a little bit of consistent effort, an evergreen blog post can stand the test of time. Maybe it's just me, but I think that's an awesome trade-off for an extra hour or two of time.

      I know lots of people who either don't have the time or desire to write...and they hire people like me to do their dirty work. I just wonder why more people don't outsource their blogging.

      The ROI is far superior to any other type of marketing online, and if a business is in a profitable position, blogging (done right!) can only make it more so.

      Things to think about.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10511287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve L
    I just find my time is better spent putting together offers, and driving traffic to those offers, period. I do write articles every now and then but I'll typically just publish them on Medium.com and/or Reddit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10511389].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
      Originally Posted by Steve L View Post

      I just find my time is better spent putting together offers, and driving traffic to those offers, period. I do write articles every now and then but I'll typically just publish them on Medium.com and/or Reddit.

      Thanks for sharing Steve!

      I wonder though....does your method work better because you focus on individual offers and aren't trying to garner attention and build a reputation? For example, like an offline business would, or a business selling certain types of products and services?

      I'm thinking that what is being sold and the specific buying process for that product or service has a huge bearing on whether or not a marketer thinks blogging is a boon or a waste of time.

      Blogging for traffic and conversions is definitely a long-term strategy that would only make sense for businesses with long-term vision and goals.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10511432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paladinseo
    blogging takes time, and u have to be fairly good at it, with ppc traffic is almoust instant
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512028].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
      Originally Posted by paladinseo View Post

      blogging takes time, and u have to be fairly good at it, with ppc traffic is almoust instant
      Hey there! What you say is true....

      But, what good is "traffic" for traffic's sake?

      If 10,000 vegetarians turned up at the steak house I don't think the establishment would benefit.

      PPC traffic is typically just that...Traffic...not warm and ready to buy leads. You can only attract those by building relationships and getting to know your ideal clients. I'm not too sure how much PPC can accomplish that.

      But I guess as with most other things it can boil down to a numbers game. Unless your product stinks, you can just keep putting it in front of as many faces as you can afford and at some point someone will bite.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512420].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
        Originally Posted by jessicandre234 View Post

        First you must have something to share to blog.
        Second, laziness
        Third, misconception abound online about blogging.

        The issue is not that people don't want to blog but they feel intimidated that they have nothing to share. Forgetting the fact that the more you share, the more you learn.
        Also will want to pick out that most people want to be told what to do, with blogging you can use any medium you don't have to follow the norm of typing some long article.If you feel comfortable with audio or video why not try that to engage your audience.

        Lastly, the issue of laziness is abound because of so many less time consuming and easier option of sharing like the social media+fb, twitter, Pinterest,LinkedIn, etc)
        Though may be guilty of all I have said but I still blogg well to share what I know with someone.
        Thanks for your thoughtful answer! I agree with you completely.

        I think most people will be amazed at what they have inside of them to share if they only took the time to really think about it and how to present that information in an interesting and engaging way.

        Basic informational articles will always be in, but sharing stories is where it's at and will continue to grow going forward. And if there's one thing I know for sure it's that everyone has a story to share.

        Maybe us marketers should focus more on sharing our stories than just writing "stuff" to put on the web.


        Originally Posted by discrat View Post

        Quite honestly its " the I want it yesterday" crowd that is the main culprit as to why people do not pursue blogging.

        It does take time and commitment and unfortunately those are attributes many in here do not possess.

        I think it can be a excellent long term model if you are really committed to providing valuable content and engaging material.


        - Robert Andrew
        Most definitely Robert!

        It saddens me because blogging is unequivocally one of, if not THE best and most cost effective methods for bringing in new business and connecting with customers.

        I think I'm going to start a blog about blogging. I'm appalled at the number of marketers not embracing it more!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512428].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Devilfish168
          Time ( Don't know when you will constantly get huge traffic )

          because need to build up your site exposure to lots of people..

          that why FB page , social media come in to build follower...

          again this is time....

          I check those FB page which got 20K likes etc ...they start FB page way back in 2006.
          now is 2016 that is 10 years ! ( white hat way, never buy like what ever..just people happen to know the page and like it because they like to see the contents which is their interest )

          " unless you go black hat way to get likes but serve no purpose " the fast way to make your fb page look impressive with number of likes but these people don't like your post , or even visit your site.


          another fast way is to boast your post in your FB page by using FB ad..( which is tricky , have to pin point , target your audiences correct ..or else you will lose a lot money in return never get much traffic or likes on your page. )

          I doing adsense...in fact every day just few cents hardly can maintain a decent just few dollars per day.

          Some IM doing adsense have success...but I never ask much how long they have managed to do that
          some claim just few months..( factors perhaps their niche is less competitive or interesting unlike other sites which always on money , health , relationship )

          Well for me , I like fitness that why do fitness niche ...in fact I think I made a mistake no patience...this domain is two years old....I stop after few months because no success..

          than I go back again lucky the domain name still around, i use back ......last year may start over again , revamp the site...

          till last dec....I again revamp the site ...till now...

          i told myself...despite traffic is not constant so do the adsense...
          no much sales from click bank or amazon....I shall continue this time without revamp again ...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512481].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
            Originally Posted by Devilfish168 View Post

            Time

            Thanks for your thoughts DF!

            I think that word pretty much sums it up for a lot of would-be bloggers. They either:

            1. Don't have the time to blog consistently enough to see results.

            Or

            2. Think it takes too much time to see results from blogging and so can't be bothered to give it a go.

            Either way...I'd say patience is truly a virtue.

            Makes more sense to me to spend 6-12 months building up a blog that eventually takes on a life of its own than to let the same 6-12 months pass with nothing accomplished but spinning wheels and chasing shiny objects.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512771].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jessicandre234
    First you must have something to share to blog.
    Second, laziness
    Third, misconception abound online about blogging.

    The issue is not that people don't want to blog but they feel intimidated that they have nothing to share. Forgetting the fact that the more you share, the more you learn.
    Also will want to pick out that most people want to be told what to do, with blogging you can use any medium you don't have to follow the norm of typing some long article.If you feel comfortable with audio or video why not try that to engage your audience.

    Lastly, the issue of laziness is abound because of so many less time consuming and easier option of sharing like the social media+fb, twitter, Pinterest,LinkedIn, etc)
    Though may be guilty of all I have said but I still blogg well to share what I know with someone.
    Originally Posted by camnettcontent View Post

    The struggle is real.

    But not for me!

    I love to blog and over the past few years it's been the vehicle that's allowed me to write my way to a sweet work-from-home income.

    However, to cut to the chase...I've been reading WF long enough to know that the average person around these parts doesn't care for blogging too much and would rather focus on PPC, Solo Ads and other such delights as preferred traffic generation and sales converting methods.

    What I really want to know thought is WHY? And more specifically...what's your main problem with blogging for business?

    Do you flat out not find it effective? Do certain aspects of the blogging process frustrate you? Or can you just not be bothered?

    An inquiring mind wants to know....
    Signature
    Engage Expertise Inc. is your one stop for all your web related service. Are you worried about your brand not getting be heard or even search engine friendly. Do you want to make your video or website more noticeable on search engine without anything illegal or blackhat.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512041].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Originally Posted by camnettcontent View Post

    [I][B]

    However, to cut to the chase...I've been reading WF long enough to know that the average person around these parts doesn't care for blogging too much and would rather focus on PPC, Solo Ads and other such delights as preferred traffic generation and sales converting methods.

    What I really want to know thought is WHY?

    Quite honestly its " the I want it yesterday" crowd that is the main culprit as to why people do not pursue blogging.

    It does take time and commitment and unfortunately those are attributes many in here do not possess.

    I think it can be a excellent long term model if you are really committed to providing valuable content and engaging material.


    - Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512262].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JensB
    I think the main reason is that people are deeply and profoundly lazy. Either that or illiterate.

    I find writing to be the best way of establishing yourself in an online business environment.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kilgore
    While specifically about "Mommy Blogs", this article sums up the reason why people here (and elsewhere) aren't so keen on blogging businesses.

    Is It Possible to Make a Living as a Mommy Blogger? - The Atlantic

    It's a good read, but for those in a hurry, here's one reason that the article identifies for the slowdown in professional blogging:

    Like most other revenue-generating websites, Dooce for years made money on banner ads--those boxes that hawk products and sit alongside the posts that are supposed to be a site's main event. In the good old days, these ads were very successful. The first banner ad, for AT&T, ran on a site called HotWired in 1994. Of the people who saw it, 78 percent clicked on it, said Susan Bidel, a senior analyst at Forrester research.

    "Everybody and their cousin clicked on everything in those days because it was like 'wow, look what we can do,'" Bidel said. "But consumers aren't stupid." These days, the so-called click-through rate is more like .1 percent.

    It's not just that web readers are getting more judicious about where they click. People are increasingly absorbing the web through smartphones, where banner ads don't look good. On the social web, readers are more likely to see ads that appear within their Facebook and Twitter streams rather than on individual article pages.
    By posting this, I'm not suggesting that it's impossible for anybody to make a living blogging. Clearly some people do. But it's increasingly getting harder and harder to monetize them. Not impossible, but more and more difficult.

    All that said, we definitely use blogs and one of our -- though far from the only -- traffic driving sources. And it definitely works as part of a larger strategy. But I don't think blogging alone -- at least for most people -- is a tenable strategy for a long-term business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512800].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
      Originally Posted by kilgore View Post

      By posting this, I'm not suggesting that it's impossible for anybody to make a living blogging. Clearly some people do. But it's increasingly getting harder and harder to monetize them. Not impossible, but more and more difficult.

      All that said, we definitely use blogs and one of our -- though far from the only -- traffic driving sources. And it definitely works as part of a larger strategy. But I don't think blogging alone -- at least for most people -- is a tenable strategy for a long-term business.
      Hi Kilgore! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

      Your comments bring up a very important point.

      Blogging for blogging's sake isn't too good of a plan for long term wealth and income generation.

      But what do you think would happen if you had a tangible and well established product or service and wanted to drive more traffic to it?

      I think that's the major difference between people who truly benefit from blogging and those who don't. One group of people have something profitable to sell, while the other is keeping hope alive that someone will click on an adsense link and deliver precious pennies to their account.

      I think a big part of the blogging puzzle is having a specific type of business. If you bring in $100's per new client investing in a great blog is much more feasible than if you make $20 a month from ad clicks.

      Things to think about. ..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512913].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dvduval
    For me, I think I need to see a clear long-term plan that will be worthwhile. I have some ideas for a blog I would like to do but it would need to be worthwhile in the sense that it performs equally or better to the sources of income that are coming in now.
    Signature
    It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512856].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
      Originally Posted by dvduval View Post

      For me, I think I need to see a clear long-term plan that will be worthwhile. I have some ideas for a blog I would like to do but it would need to be worthwhile in the sense that it performs equally or better to the sources of income that are coming in now.
      Hey DV!

      So what you're saying really is that if you could find a way to plan out your blog strategy and know that it would produce the results you want, you'd be more inclined to invest the effort needed to do it?

      Have you ever thought of blogging along with whatever it is you're doing now?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
    I think the main problem is competition. You have so many different blogs based on whatever topic your writing about. And no matter what niche you write for there's usually a big fish already dominating the audience. You have find ways to create that one piece that's going to blow up for you and boost your credibility online. It only takes one, but you never know which one it's going to be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512949].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
      Originally Posted by pheonix44 View Post

      I think the main problem is competition. You have so many different blogs based on whatever topic your writing about. And no matter what niche you write for there's usually a big fish already dominating the audience. You have find ways to create that one piece that's going to blow up for you and boost your credibility online. It only takes one, but you never know which one it's going to be.
      Hey Pheonix!

      There certainly is a lot of competition in the blogosphere, but I actually see that as an advantage.

      99% of blogs on the internet are not read by more than the author and a few of their close friends (if they're lucky). And the blogs that are actually attracting readers are great places to do research on the kinds of content that motivate and inspire those kinds of posts.

      Research and application is the name of the game.

      Having a lot of other blogs in your niche also presents opportunities for promotion. Guest blogging in particular. Because even successful blogs sometimes run out of posting steam!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10512974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheZafraGroup
    It's mainly because a lot of people are not willing to be consistent in putting in the work to create a successful blog. So instead, they focus on immediate traffic generation strategies instead of blogging.

    I definitely see the power in blogging and just like you, I blog as often as I can and it definitely pays off. Competition is nothing when you have a solid purpose as to why you're blogging. Competition only means that there's a lot of money going around in that niche. That's just another excuse as to why to not move forward with a solid plan.

    Blogging is really a game of grinding hard especially in the beginning. If you stay on track and consistently take action, it pays you back tenfold. I'm 100% pro blogging. What I would say is best is to work hard on blogging, here's why...I have blog posts that still generate traffic, leads and sales even though they're years old, and do paid traffic at the same time. A blog is also a great and powerful way to build a relationship with your list and give value out on social media.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10513058].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
      Originally Posted by TheZafraGroup View Post

      It's mainly because a lot of people are not willing to be consistent in putting in the work to create a successful blog. So instead, they focus on immediate traffic generation strategies instead of blogging.

      I definitely see the power in blogging and just like you, I blog as often as I can and it definitely pays off. Competition is nothing when you have a solid purpose as to why you're blogging. Competition only means that there's a lot of money going around in that niche. That's just another excuse as to why to not move forward with a solid plan.

      Blogging is really a game of grinding hard especially in the beginning. If you stay on track and consistently take action, it pays you back tenfold. I'm 100% pro blogging. What I would say is best is to work hard on blogging, here's why...I have blog posts that still generate traffic, leads and sales even though they're years old, and do paid traffic at the same time. A blog is also a great and powerful way to build a relationship with your list and give value out on social media.
      Bingo!

      I'm glad to know someone else gets it.

      That's the beauty of blogging....do the work upfront and it pays off for YEARS. I'm actually amazed at how effective it is. The longtail effect makes it so that traffic increases by itself overtime, even if they rate of content production slows down.

      It's frickin' sorcery if you ask me. But the good kind!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10513114].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TheZafraGroup
        Originally Posted by camnettcontent View Post

        Bingo!

        I'm glad to know someone else gets it.

        That's the beauty of blogging....do the work upfront and it pays off for YEARS. I'm actually amazed at how effective it is. The longtail effect makes it so that traffic increases by itself overtime, even if they rate of content production slows down.

        It's frickin' sorcery if you ask me. But the good kind!
        I definitely get it. My business is built on blogging. Without blogging, I wouldn't have built the connections I have today. I also wouldn't be having any type of long term results. Even if Google changes algorithm, it wouldn't affect a blog that has a solid tribe full of people who willingly comment and share your posts.

        You put in hard work now and reap the benefits on the long run. Blogging is like real estate. Each blog post is your property.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10513119].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
          Originally Posted by TheZafraGroup View Post

          I definitely get it. My business is built on blogging. Without blogging, I wouldn't have built the connections I have today. I also wouldn't be having any type of long term results. Even if Google changes algorithm, it wouldn't affect a blog that has a solid tribe full of people who willingly comment and share your posts.

          You put in hard work now and reap the benefits on the long run. Blogging is like real estate. Each blog post is your property.

          You are so awesome and YES that's exactly what it's like. You're building solid foundations that even the worst algorithm shifts can't shake. A well executed blog and funnel complete with lead capture system and you're in it to win it.

          I'm really going to have to start doing cartwheels in these e-streets to bring more attention to blogging.

          The fact that so many ignore the opportunity makes me a very sad panda.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10513131].message }}
  • I actually value blogging over PPC. The reason being i love seeing traffic come into a site i build around a certain niche. It just feels good to know people are liking what you are posting. And then you can make some income via adsense blogs all the way baby!

    Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10513133].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sirtiman
    Some people blogging for SEO purpose like keyword ranking to get more clicks. I like blogging for branding, real user engagement and build my list. What I hate is the search engine still give the SEO purpose blog nice rank for their ads, even the blogs are just stuffing with keywords that actually not giving any real solution or benefits from reading it. This will make bloggers are lazy to create valuable posts because that keyword stuffing blogs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10513147].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    People don't like it because of the work involved it seems. A lot of people start and then abandon their blogs. A lot of people invest a lot of time but the money doesn't come.

    Blogging isn't easy, that's for sure and it definitely isn't the most passive option out there. I enjoy it though. My blog still brought in regular income even during times of neglect so I guess you can say that it can be semi-passive.

    I think the biggest problem bloggers have... is the rapid increase of content being published each and every day in almost every niche possible. You have to start thinking how you can make your content not just stand out, but different, and it certainly needs a purpose. Of course, it also comes down to getting your content in front of the right people, like Camille said.

    It's tough but definitely worth it. Very fun to see your blog grow from 0 traffic and 1 post to 100s of posts and lots of traffic!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10513372].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author relesol
    The human nature!

    Means every one now want a instant result and Blogging is a process which takes lots of time.
    but is a very necessary process for any site.

    it a main aspect of digital marketing and every one should have to maintain its reputation.
    Signature
    Logo Designers Join Designhill & Earn up to $1000 by Participating in Our Logo Design Contest.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10513386].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author reachintan
    Hi Camille,

    You are right. Blogging requires an inborn passion and inclination towards a certain subject. Not thinking about the blog on monetary terms and thinking it from purely informational perspective educating readers, certainly helps a blog to taste a guaranteed success.

    Thanks,
    Chintan
    Signature

    Chintan Mehta

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10513414].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joan Altz
    I really think Yaro Starak's method is the best. Create a blog, build a list of followers (followers, not subscribers), have a line of products/services to sell them at different prices - typically $40 to $7,000. No need for a lot of content (but very good content, yes), and no need for a lot of traffic or high membership numbers.

    And yes, I agree that good outsourced articles are worth the price and give the best ROI. No doubt about it. I would rather pay $100-$300 for one great article than pay the same amount for 10-30 run-of-the-mill articles. Most people don't know the difference and waste their money on cheap articles. It's a mistake to go cheap when it comes to content.

    Plus if you know how to shop, you should only hire writers who can send you some traffic to the article they have written for you. Writers who already have some clout. Then it's just like buying quality content and targeted traffic with each investment.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10513441].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by camnettcontent View Post

      However, to cut to the chase...I've been reading WF long enough to know that the average person around these parts doesn't care for blogging too much and would rather focus on PPC, Solo Ads and other such delights as preferred traffic generation and sales converting methods.
      Part of what I see is a decided short term focus. And a slightly myopic focus at that.

      You see people running paid traffic directly to sales pages. Or squeeze pages that then redirect straight to a sales page. They want (or need) that sale today, and they substitute a credit card for knowing how to develop a market presence.

      Paid advertising can be very effective in getting those eyeballs to a blog to begin the process.

      Originally Posted by camnettcontent View Post

      What I really want to know though is WHY? And more specifically...what's your main problem with blogging for business?
      While I firmly support blogging for business, I do believe it has shortcomings. People have already covered many of them - time, effort, skills required - but I haven't seen anyone mention scale. If you do it right, and give it ongoing attention, PPC campaigns can be very effective, and can run for long periods of time. There's a huge difference between a well managed PPC campaign, which can generate large numbers of prospects pretty much at will, and the one and done type of campaigns often seen described here.

      A good paid campaign can also accelerate the testing phase. You can use paid ads to test things like book titles, ad headlines, post ideas, etc. and get real numbers in hours.

      Originally Posted by camnettcontent View Post

      Do you flat out not find it effective? Do certain aspects of the blogging process frustrate you? Or can you just not be bothered?

      An inquiring mind wants to know....
      I've found that a mix of blogging and paid ads, working together, can be more than the sum of the parts.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10513946].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
        Originally Posted by TotalWebsiteControl View Post

        I actually value blogging over PPC. The reason being i love seeing traffic come into a site i build around a certain niche. It just feels good to know people are liking what you are posting. And then you can make some income via adsense blogs all the way baby!

        Thanks
        Thank you TWC!

        It does feel great to the heart and the pocket. I'll always choose the long term results blogging (done right!) tends to generate.

        Think about creating and selling your own product or service though. Much better way to generate an income than by doing ads.



        Originally Posted by sirtiman View Post

        Some people blogging for SEO purpose like keyword ranking to get more clicks. I like blogging for branding, real user engagement and build my list. What I hate is the search engine still give the SEO purpose blog nice rank for their ads, even the blogs are just stuffing with keywords that actually not giving any real solution or benefits from reading it. This will make bloggers are lazy to create valuable posts because that keyword stuffing blogs.
        I think keywords can be very important but definitely shouldn't be the focus while blogging to build relationships. Purely keyword driven blog posts may bring in search engine traffic, but if the content doesn't hit the reader right between the eyes and stir something in them that makes not signing up for your list irresistible.... then something is definitely wrong!

        Don't worry about ranking. The beauty about blogging is that you can use it (guest posting on popular blogs that relate to your niche) to bring in more and much higher quality traffic that you could ever get from pure SEO. I like to think of search engine traffic as gravy but blogging on and off my own web property is most certainly the meat and potatoes
        .


        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        People don't like it because of the work involved it seems. A lot of people start and then abandon their blogs. A lot of people invest a lot of time but the money doesn't come.

        Blogging isn't easy, that's for sure and it definitely isn't the most passive option out there. I enjoy it though. My blog still brought in regular income even during times of neglect so I guess you can say that it can be semi-passive.

        I think the biggest problem bloggers have... is the rapid increase of content being published each and every day in almost every niche possible. You have to start thinking how you can make your content not just stand out, but different, and it certainly needs a purpose. Of course, it also comes down to getting your content in front of the right people, like Camille said.

        It's tough but definitely worth it. Very fun to see your blog grow from 0 traffic and 1 post to 100s of posts and lots of traffic!
        You are right Nameless. Getting in front of the right eyes is so important. That's why successful blogging needs a mutli-pronged approach. You blog on your own blog to build up a good base of information, then once you get to that point, you also blog on other people's blogs to get exposure for your content.

        Getting featured on top blogs is the fastest and simplest way to gain authority for your own blog and more importantly, your yourself!



        Originally Posted by relesol View Post

        The human nature!

        Means every one now want a instant result and Blogging is a process which takes lots of time.
        but is a very necessary process for any site.

        it a main aspect of digital marketing and every one should have to maintain its reputation.
        Right you are relesol....

        A wise man once said, "Slow and steady wins the race!"

        The time is going to pass anyway, so why not have something solid to show for it when all is said and done?



        Originally Posted by reachintan View Post

        Hi Camille,

        You are right. Blogging requires an inborn passion and inclination towards a certain subject. Not thinking about the blog on monetary terms and thinking it from purely informational perspective educating readers, certainly helps a blog to taste a guaranteed success.

        Thanks,
        Chintan
        Hi Chintan!

        Inborn passion and inclination are awesome, but I know excellent bloggers who are just determined, consistent and clever who have built audiences so large that it boggles my mind.

        You are definitely right though that money should be the last thing on your mind when you blog. The goal, as you so rightly stated, is to share high quality information that educates, entertains and inspires.

        That's how you build relationships and community, shortly after which the income flows!


        Originally Posted by Joan Altz View Post

        I really think Yaro Starak's method is the best. Create a blog, build a list of followers (followers, not subscribers), have a line of products/services to sell them at different prices - typically $40 to $7,000. No need for a lot of content (but very good content, yes), and no need for a lot of traffic or high membership numbers.

        And yes, I agree that good outsourced articles are worth the price and give the best ROI. No doubt about it. I would rather pay $100-$300 for one great article than pay the same amount for 10-30 run-of-the-mill articles. Most people don't know the difference and waste their money on cheap articles. It's a mistake to go cheap when it comes to content.

        Plus if you know how to shop, you should only hire writers who can send you some traffic to the article they have written for you. Writers who already have some clout. Then it's just like buying quality content and targeted traffic with each investment.
        Excellent points Joan!

        I'm a fan of Yaro's blog as well and he and others like him definitely showcase the power of focused words and community and income building.

        You also brought up the fact again that blogging tends to pair well with a product of service that is profitable vs simply blogging for ad clicks or driving lots of (in some cases) expensive traffic to generate leads.

        I too don't hesitate to drop $100's on top quality writing if I need something done for me since I have always without fail gotten exceptional ROI when I do.

        If you knew you could feed a machine $10 and get back $2 each time....wouldn't you be looking for as many $10 notes as you could find? I would!



        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Part of what I see is a decided short term focus. And a slightly myopic focus at that.

        Paid advertising can be very effective in getting those eyeballs to a blog to begin the process.

        I've found that a mix of blogging and paid ads, working together, can be more than the sum of the parts.

        Thank you so much for your thoughts John!

        I agree that depending on your business model and type of product for sale, PPC can be extremely effective for driving traffic and for doing tests as you said.

        I know that as someone who is not familiar with PPC and running ads online, there is a much smaller risk of me losing my shirt if I blog than pouring dollars into an ad campaign without knowing the best way to go about it.

        I've been blogging for years and even though in the beginning traffic and earnings were small, I stuck to it and today I can smile because my blog earnings are substantial, even when I don't write a new post for months.

        But to get back to the point, a mix can be very good is implemented properly. And maybe I'm biased but I still believe that blogging gives better ROI in most cases.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    And maybe I'm biased but I still believe that blogging gives better RIO in most cases.
    Return Investment On??

    Is that the opposite of Return Investment Off??
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davidfrankk
    I guess I've never blogged just for business. I've had blogs in the past. I have maintained many company blogs. But I don't really think you can earn enough through a blog. I''m sure there are some exceptions to this who have managed to make a good life for themselves just by blogging, but I need a real job to feed myself
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514460].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
      Originally Posted by davidfrankk View Post

      I guess I've never blogged just for business. I've had blogs in the past. I have maintained many company blogs. But I don't really think you can earn enough through a blog. I''m sure there are some exceptions to this who have managed to make a good life for themselves just by blogging, but I need a real job to feed myself
      Hi David!

      When you had your blog were you using it to sell a particular product or service? Or were you relying on ads and such for income generation?

      That makes all the difference in the world. I think most people trying to blog with no product or service behind it struggle to earn anything.

      Blogging in an of itself can't make money....unless you're a freelance writer who creates content for others. Blogging for yourself can only attract an audience. After that the right product/service and sales funnel help us earn the money.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514472].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by camnettcontent View Post

        Thank you so much for your thoughts John!

        I agree that depending on your business model and type of product for sale, PPC can be extremely effective for driving traffic and for doing tests as you said.

        I know that as someone who is not familiar with PPC and running ads online, there is a much smaller risk of me losing my shirt if I blog than pouring dollars into an ad campaign without knowing the best way to go about it.
        PPC is definitely one of those areas where the "take massive action" mantra can lead to the poor house. Building up campaigns that return positive ROI is another area where slow and steady is the way to go.

        Once you do have campaigns with positive ROI, the traffic can be almost infinitely scalable. The question has been asked so often it's become a cliche, but it is true. If you knew that you'd get back $2 for every $1 you put in, how many dollars would you put in?

        Originally Posted by camnettcontent View Post

        I've been blogging for years and even though in the beginning traffic and earnings were small, I stuck to it and today I can smile because my blog earnings are substantial, even when I don't write a new post for months.
        The semi-passive angle is an appealing one, and one of the reasons I like to mix blogging with advertising.

        Originally Posted by camnettcontent View Post

        But to get back to the point, a mix can be very good is implemented properly. And maybe I'm biased but I still believe that blogging gives better ROI in most cases.
        Yep, you're biased.

        Blogging may offer a bigger percentage return, but for pure volume, a profitable paid campaign has made many people rich. If I can make sending me their traffic more profitable than keeping it, I can get all the traffic I want. Then it's up to my site, my emails and, yes, my blog, to build and maintain the all-important relationship with those visitors.

        All that said, simple blogging is probably the smart road for the average wannabe IMer. If they fail, they're not in the poor house. And it's possible to build up a comfortable living even if you aren't intent on world domination. And some go on to dominate markets.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514513].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onlineworker11
    Originally Posted by camnettcontent View Post

    The struggle is real.

    But not for me!

    I love to blog and over the past few years it's been the vehicle that's allowed me to write my way to a sweet work-from-home income.

    However, to cut to the chase...I've been reading WF long enough to know that the average person around these parts doesn't care for blogging too much and would rather focus on PPC, Solo Ads and other such delights as preferred traffic generation and sales converting methods.

    What I really want to know though is WHY? And more specifically...what's your main problem with blogging for business?

    Do you flat out not find it effective? Do certain aspects of the blogging process frustrate you? Or can you just not be bothered?

    An inquiring mind wants to know....

    I love blogging and I blog for business. A blog is a great marketing tool m It may take some time Before getting results from blogging,but its totally Worth it
    Signature

    Discover the most profitable ways of making money Click this.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    The reason why most people FAIL at blogging is because they fall for the standard 'build it and they will come' mindset.....

    To win at blogging, you have to blog about stuff that people are ALREADY clamoring for.

    Thankfully, figuring out how to do this isn't all that difficult.

    Build your blog around EXISTING demand

    Then spend the rest of your time optimizing your blog into a CONVERSION PLATFORM.

    Of course, the biggest benefit of a blog is that it helps you build a SOLID BRAND through content..... This is NOT the only way though.

    You can do so through paid ad campaigns (with email hooks) as well.
    Signature

    Want To Make More Money Online? Invest in BETTER CONTENT!
    Articles - Blogs - Authority sites - Ecommerce descriptions - Emails - Youtube video scripts - AFFORDABLE RATES!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514574].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author camnettcontent
      Originally Posted by writeaway View Post


      To win at blogging, you have to blog about stuff that people are ALREADY clamoring for.

      Of course, the biggest benefit of a blog is that it helps you build a SOLID BRAND through content..... This is NOT the only way though.
      Hi there!

      Excellent points...

      I agree that starting a blog on a tried and true niche is the way to go. Finding your unique voice, spin or angle are what make for a stand out blog.

      And yes, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. I just find a lot more benefit for the average online marketer in blogging above all else.



      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post


      Yep, you're biased.

      All that said, simple blogging is probably the smart road for the average wannabe IMer. If they fail, they're not in the poor house. And it's possible to build up a comfortable living even if you aren't intent on world domination. And some go on to dominate markets.
      Hey, at least I'm honest!

      And yes, I think blogging is a nice way to dip your toes into the ocean of online marketing before diving in.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10514784].message }}

Trending Topics