16 replies
What's a good theme for IM? I'm currently using OP 2 and in my personal experience, I don't really dig the blog section. It just doesn't look right to me, but OP ROCKS for their sales letter and videos. I'm looking for something like Profits Theme but unfortunately they are out of business. My second option would be the Genesis Framework but I have yet to see a great design out of it. Does anyone have some examples of custom Genesis Framework? And which child theme to go with.
#theme
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    If you haven't seen a good design from Genesis, this just means you're relying too much on existing child themes.

    Go to Upwork and get a WP theme designer with Genesis experience.

    Hire a VA to do a reverse engineering analysis of the top converting sites in your niche

    Give this info to your WP theme designer and be prepared to get your MIND BLOWN by Genesis.
    Signature

    Want To Make More Money Online? Invest in BETTER CONTENT!
    Articles - Blogs - Authority sites - Ecommerce descriptions - Emails - Youtube video scripts - AFFORDABLE RATES!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10537669].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vikash_kumar
    If you're just starting and have a low budget then will suggest you to go to themeforest and I'm sure you'll find something professional for your needs.

    If you've funds and can invest then I w'll also agree that you should reverse engineer some best sites in IM and hire a designer to get it done for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10537764].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vedremo
    Banned
    Originally Posted by student704 View Post

    What's a good theme for IM? I'm currently using OP 2 and in my personal experience, I don't really dig the blog section. It just doesn't look right to me, but OP ROCKS for their sales letter and videos. I'm looking for something like Profits Theme but unfortunately they are out of business. My second option would be the Genesis Framework but I have yet to see a great design out of it. Does anyone have some examples of custom Genesis Framework? And which child theme to go with.
    You can check the most popular themes here: Top Theme Providers - WordPress Theme Detector

    If you notice a website you particularly like then just check out their home page and look it up (providing it's using Wordpress). If it's not Wordpress, check builtwith.com.

    John Lee Dumas' EOFire Business Podcasts - Daily podcast interviews with today's most successful Entrepreneurs is a good example of a custom Genesis theme that I like, but just my opinion.

    Personally I prefer Thesis (Diythemes) over Genesis. Thesis used to be the dominant player 3 years ago for online marketers. Both Genesis and Thesis great themes with in built SEO, just comes down to personal preference. I find Thesis easier to work with than Genesis, although it's not particularly easy to customise without CSS knowledge and their "support" needs a complete overhaul.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10537772].message }}
  • There is no 'best' theme, so I don't understand why people keep asking this question. A search would have gotten you the same varying answers.

    ANY theme will work if you set it up properly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10538247].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    If you look at 100 different IM websites you could see 100 different themes. There is no niche specific themes. Just find the one you like and use it

    al
    Signature
    "Theater, sports, movies, and church are all driven primarily by an ancient desire to be in each other’s proximity." ~David Marcus~
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10538416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author usmantech
    There are some very good IM related themes at MyThemeShop.com.. you can also check out ElegantThemes.com. That will be the cheapest route. Otherwise, you can go get your own theme developed exactly according to the design in your mind.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10538510].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author student704
    Thanks guys for the recommendations. I'm currently using Optimizepress for its blog feature. I noticed there are some lack of customization within the theme. Some examples I'm currently experience is that there is no way to place double space on blog posts. You can see that only on blog post pages. This result in making my blog posts look very tacky. And also I can't hover underline recent post on right sidebar. I think I might go with Thesis theme. With Thesis you have a lot more control with customization. I will still be using OP but only for it's sales and video letter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10551995].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pardu
    My favorite theme is frontpage just search
    Signature

    Moderator's Note: Affiliate link not allowed. Please edit.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10552064].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      I use the Genesis platform, as do many professionals. The child theme you choose needs to be one of your own liking ... but it should also be appropriate for the type of niche you are in.

      Personally, I go with the child themes at StudioPress. I have found that they are professional and you will see them on some "big name" sites. Mashable said this about StudioPress: "the 'best of the best' among WordPress premium frameworks."

      My own personal blog is built on the "Magazine Pro" child theme.

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10552085].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author student704
        Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

        I use the Genesis platform, as do many professionals. The child theme you choose needs to be one of your own liking ... but it should also be appropriate for the type of niche you are in.

        Personally, I go with the child themes at StudioPress. I have found that they are professional and you will see them on some "big name" sites. Mashable said this about StudioPress: "the 'best of the best' among WordPress premium frameworks."

        My own personal blog is built on the "Magazine Pro" child theme.

        Steve
        Thanks for the share! I can find the Genesis Framework free online for download. What's the difference between the parent theme and a child theme? Why do I need a child theme? The Framework alone look sucks. lol. I assume the child theme make it look better?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10554345].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sempeneh
    thesis seems ok fr most of IMers i've seen
    Signature

    Make $4000 Permonth Using A Simple Blogger In Just 20 Minutes Per Day Without Investment

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10554395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author student704
    I haven't bought Thesis yet, I might buy Genesis since I heard it is much easier to customize. Thesis is a bit complicated and very tough to understand. The problem is that I can't find more Genesis website samples to draw conclusion, the samples on their website is just bare-bones themes. The right sidebar widget and the columns are huge and chunky. I'd like to see something much thinner. One reason why I like Optimizepress blog is because the sidebar and borders are thin, not huge like Genesis. But seeing Genesis, the basic look and feel is quite good for Marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10554420].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author vedremo
      Banned
      Originally Posted by student704 View Post

      I haven't bought Thesis yet, I might buy Genesis since I heard it is much easier to customize. Thesis is a bit complicated and very tough to understand. The problem is that I can't find more Genesis website samples to draw conclusion, the samples on their website is just bare-bones themes. The right sidebar widget and the columns are huge and chunky. I'd like to see something much thinner. One reason why I like Optimizepress blog is because the sidebar and borders are thin, not huge like Genesis. But seeing Genesis, the basic look and feel is quite good for Marketing.
      Things like borders and sidebars are pretty easy to change so I wouldn't stress about them. Around ~$20p/hr to find someone on Upwork (front end development).

      If you're trying to customise yourself you'll just need firebug and a bit of patience at first.

      Thesis has a nice "Custom CSS" section with live preview (so you don't need to update the site). 100% agree it's a steep learning curve on your first site, but with the semantic markup, site speed etc it, I always end up coming back to it.

      You mentioned Optimizepress -
      Thesis & Optimizepress are incompatible. Genesis + Optimizepress plugin are compatible.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10554748].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wrcato2
    I use the Socrates theme it was build for IM and particularly adsense but you can use it to create an optin page and sales letter page. I am still working with the theme but I like it and the theme function have replaced 5 plugins that I use to use.

    If you do a search for the theme watch the video and you will see what I am talking about.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10554529].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rory Singh
    It's what you do with it and how you do it that matters most. Yes that kind of sounds perverted but it's true.

    I use a FREE Theme. I pay for hosting and have my own domain name but the theme is FREE.

    FOCUS on all the nuts and bolts of Internet marketing and you can always 'upgrade' your them later.

    You can have the most sophisticated website but if your traffic getting skills are not up to par, it'll be dead in the water.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10554664].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author student704
    Once again thanks for all the recommendations! I have not purchase the theme yet. I am still undecided.

    I bought Socrates Theme 3 years ago and I felt like it was too personalized. I am not a coder and maybe that's changed now. It had that gradient nav menu look which I think looks pretty professional. Kind of like Optimizepress.

    I saw ProfitsTheme a year ago and they have a blog section that was built for gamers. They had cartoon graphics of some super heroes on there. The layout was just awesome. Does anyone recall Profits Theme blog? That is a feel I want to go for.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10562015].message }}

Trending Topics