Money From Amazon - Mostly Hype?

29 replies
Hello,

I'm interested in making some money from Amazon but have found that a lot of the courses are just hype.

I don't really care if the course is about Amazon affiliate products or selling the actual product, just as long as the course works and is GREAT and will make me some money!

Anyone find such a course that they care to brag about here?

Thanks
#amazon #hype #money
  • Profile picture of the author danieldesai
    Some great courses that teach you how to make money from Amazon:

    - Amazing Selling Machine by Matt Clark and Jason Katzenback (for selling your own products on Amazon)

    - K Money Mastery by Stefan Pylarinos (for selling ebooks through Amazon's Kindle store)

    - Azon Home Study Course by Ryan Stevenson (for selling affiliate products)

    ^^^

    As for whether or not you will make any money with those courses, I cannot say.

    Regards,
    Daniel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10560310].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      You don't have to go through a course to be an Amazon affiliate - that's why there's hype. Sojourner and JonBen (johnben?) have inexpensive tutorials as WSO's - both are quick, easy to follow and leave out the fluff.

      There is a tendency to want to try something online - and immediately look for "a course" or "a mentor" or "training". Sometimes you need to wade into the program, read the terms and the freebies provided...and give it a try.
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
      ***
      I firmly believe that animals make people more human.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10560588].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author wayneh
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        You don't have to go through a course to be an Amazon affiliate - that's why there's hype. Sojourner and JonBen (johnben?) have inexpensive tutorials as WSO's - both are quick, easy to follow and leave out the fluff.

        There is a tendency to want to try something online - and immediately look for "a course" or "a mentor" or "training". Sometimes you need to wade into the program, read the terms and the freebies provided...and give it a try.
        I agree Sojourn's courses on Amazon are amongst the best for getting stated and making money as an Amazon affiliate. The best ones are Extreme Review and Straight Line Passive Amazon Profits.
        Signature
        CLICK HERE for techniques and reviews of affiliate marketing training
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10561754].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author greenowl123
          Originally Posted by wayneh View Post

          I agree Sojourn's courses on Amazon are amongst the best for getting stated and making money as an Amazon affiliate. The best ones are Extreme Review and Straight Line Passive Amazon Profits.
          One more vote for Sojourn`s Amazon training here !

          She is on top of her game when it comes to earning as an Amazon affiliate.
          Signature
          Free 40-page eBook "How To Earn With CPA Offers"
          + 14 Free Traffic Training Videos -
          Click here now. (no opt-in required)

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10563585].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tony Dean
      I have read most books on Kindle publishing and I find that even if you apply a $100 budget to Amazon's own advertising, nothing you have published sells.

      The amount of rubbish on Amazon these days means buyers are just 'lookers' not buying anything in the way of Kindle ebooks, but wanting the 5 days free downloads, and which after they download there are no reviews from these people whatsoever.

      My advice is to steer clear now of Kindle, it will get you no where. There market for Kindle was in the early days for authors, but with the million of what I call 'dross' on there, no one wants to buy.

      Having said that they are just 'lookers' though means you could throw about plenty of free ebooks on there with plenty of website links in there and get traffic to bring in money elsewhere.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10560589].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    At the end of the day it boils down to marketing. You can use the marketing strategies for succeeding with Amazon for any other affiliate product. Heck, even your own product if you had one. Just know that there could be a possibly of Amazon cancelling your account for strict reasons. Whether that's for violating Terms of Service (TOS)... or simply because they feel like it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10560696].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kilgore
    Originally Posted by everyonewins View Post

    I don't really care if the course is about Amazon affiliate products or selling the actual product, just as long as the course works and is GREAT and will make me some money!
    First of all, I think you need to adjust your expectations.

    No course "works". You have to work.
    No course is going to "make you money". You have to make the money.

    Can you learn something from a course that might help you start a successful online business? Of course.

    Can you just follow a course step-by-step and at the end of it have a successful business? Of course not. We're not talking about building IKEA shelves here -- this is business.

    Second, I think you need to adjust your mindset. Your whole post is about what you want. You want to make money. You don't care about whether it's affiliate marketing or direct sales. You. You. You.

    But being successful in business isn't about getting what you want. It's about giving other people what they want. Your customers don't care how much money you make. They don't care what kind of car you drive. They don't care where you go on vacation. They don't care if you work 8 hours a week or 80. They have their own needs and if you don't meet them, they'll find someone else who will.

    So if you have an idea about how to help people get what they want, but you need a little help thinking about how to make it work, then maybe you should buy a course and see if can help solidify your business plan.

    But if your plan only revolves around how you can fatten up your wallet, I'd be willing to wager that your plan is going to fail. So in that case, I'd skip the course and save your money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10560840].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MValmont
      Disclosure: I sell a coaching program on how to make money with Kindle E-books.

      Look, this is not hype. The fact is that Amazon Kindle is the easiest way to start making money online I truly believe that. I just published a new book that cost me about $40 to make, has about 25 pages and makes me about $600 per month as of right now. Will it sell less in a few months? Yes, probably because there will be more competition in that niche. Would I still be happy if I just make $200 per month with that book in a few months? Absolutely. These are crazy returns for any investments. This is not what newbies could expect from Kindle. I published over 100 books so I know exactly what i'm doing, but even if the book made you $60 er month, wouldn't you be happy? $60 of passive income on a $40 investment? Yes you would take that any day.

      Here is another fact: Yes, there is more competition on Kindle than two or 3 years ago. big deal. Do you think it's different with SEO? Niche marketing? Blogging? Affiliate Marketing, etc? It's the exact same thing. Competition is always there. You need to adapt, get smarter, and crush the competition. It's like if someone in 2000 said to himself ``meh, I don't know about this internet stuff, this is getting competitive``. This is ridiculous.


      Let me tell you another fact that will make you realize hopefully something: Kindle is far from being too competitive. In fact, there is almost no competition when you compare it with other methods to make money. If you take the USA store ( which i'm making huge amounts in), yes it is more competitive because Amazon really targeted this market. But let's be smart about it for a second....Have you thought about the other market? Amazon is entering these markets big time right now.

      I just published 20 books in another language a few weeks ago and i'm KILLING IT iwith these books because I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO COMPETITITION. We are only 3 people in a category in which in the USA store we are thousands. You see the potential here? People lack creativity. They want easy money on a silver place, and it is quite funny because Kindle is the easiest they will find when it comes to easy money. Someone that finds it too hard with Kindle should stop internet marketing RIGHT NOW and find a job. Especially if that person has a family and kids. DO NOT become an entrepreneur.


      Another Fact: YES, since Amazon change the way they pay for the Borrows, a lot of authors are making less, but who cares? Would you sell a stock because instead of giving you 40% every year, it now gives you 35%? Would you decide not to go home with a girl at 3:00 am when the lights open because you realize she is a 9/10 instead of a 9.5/10? Just think about it....Also, lots of people decided not to enter the kindle market of simply drop out ( mostly people who were new), which means for people that stick with it, there is even less competition, so more money. Also, these changes hurts mostly small books ( I lost about 15% of my revenue I would say in my short books), but some longer books are making way more money, but nobody talks about this.


      This is for Kindle, for Physical products, this is the exact same thing. I hear people saying how competitive it is becoming. And by the way, the people saying this are NEVER people with a lot of experience, NEVER. It's mostly people who are not making any money online, are not taking action, are trying too many methods at the same time and not fully commit to one so they never get good. Forums are FILLED with people like this.
      They are easy to spot; most of the time they have HUGE amount of posts, they are highly negative and hate when newbies ask questions ( because it makes them feel good to laugh at them. They are not making money, but at least they are better than that newbie).


      To conclude, I think Amazon is amazing and someone would be crazy NOT to get into it right now.

      Here is my honest opinion: I think it is easier to make HUGE AMOUNT of money with physical products than with Kindle.

      Kindle is for people that wants to start making a few thousands per month, and if you really push it you can make over $10 000 also. There are people making more than $30 000 a month with Kindle because you can build a back-end etc, build a list etc.

      With Kindle, the entry cost is really low. You can actually start with $0.

      With physical products, the coaching programs are more expensive and you need at LEAST $500 to start. This is the bare minimum I would say. Also, don't expect to make money before a few months. You have to find suppliers, get it shipped etc etc. It takes a while to be honest. BUT, you probably can make more money with physical products, you can scale it up probably more than with Kindles.

      My recommendation? Start with kindle (If you have success with kindles, you will have success with physical products, the strategies are similar) because the entry cost is really low and you can make money quickly. Then if you want switch to physical products.

      MValmont.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10560913].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steve B
        Originally Posted by MValmont View Post

        Disclosure: I sell a coaching program on how to make money with Kindle E-books.
        Thank you for the disclosure ... and you have said exactly what we would expect.



        Originally Posted by MValmont View Post

        Would you sell a stock because instead of giving you 40% every year, it now gives you 35%?
        This is a pretty far fetched analogy, wouldn't you say?



        Originally Posted by MValmont View Post

        Would you decide not to go home with a girl at 3:00 am when the lights open because you realize she is a 9/10 instead of a 9.5/10?
        Say what? Again, this comparison is ridiculous. Your points about making money with Kindle should be believable and relevant. This comparison is neither.


        Originally Posted by MValmont View Post

        This is for Kindle, for Physical products, this is the exact same thing.
        Personally, I don't see competition and making money with Kindle anything like selling Amazon physical products. They are very different ways to generate income. I have done both and am amazed that anyone would even suggest they are "the exact same thing."


        Let's bring some reality to this thread.

        The OP is looking for a course about making money from Amazon, either through affiliate products or by selling the actual products. He/she said nothing about Kindle so let's keep to the topic.

        I have Amazon Selling Machine and found it to be pretty comprehensive - not perfect, mind you - as the marketplaces in many niches change fairly often - as do legitimate suppliers (sourcers) and the products that sell well month in and month out.

        I can tell you that there are some very high volume sellers that have optimized their systems to give themselves huge monthly incomes - but those guys aren't divulging their systems (and they wouldn't be appropriate for new sellers anyway). They are spending mega-bucks on their promotions and can do media buys that would be impossible for the average marketer.

        Steve
        Signature

        Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
        SteveBrowneDirect

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10561048].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MValmont
          Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

          Thank you for the disclosure ... and you have said exactly what we would expect.





          This is a pretty far fetched analogy, wouldn't you say?





          Say what? Again, this comparison is ridiculous. Your points about making money with Kindle should be believable and relevant. This comparison is neither.




          Personally, I don't see competition and making money with Kindle anything like selling Amazon physical products. They are very different ways to generate income. I have done both and am amazed that anyone would even suggest they are "the exact same thing."


          Let's bring some reality to this thread.

          The OP is looking for a course about making money from Amazon, either through affiliate products or by selling the actual products. He/she said nothing about Kindle so let's keep to the topic.

          I have Amazon Selling Machine and found it to be pretty comprehensive - not perfect, mind you - as the marketplaces in many niches change fairly often - as do legitimate suppliers (sourcers) and the products that sell well month in and month out.

          I can tell you that there are some very high volume sellers that have optimized their systems to give themselves huge monthly incomes - but those guys aren't divulging their systems (and they wouldn't be appropriate for new sellers anyway). They are spending mega-bucks on their promotions and can do media buys that would be impossible for the average marketer.

          Steve

          I'm not even going to answer to all of that for obvious reasons...

          But when I say Kindle and physical products are highly similar, I'm actually surprised you don't agree. The whole concept of analyzing the competition properly ( which is 80% of the game IMO) is basically the same with both of them. How to rank on the first page is pretty much the same for both of them also, etc etc...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10561070].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author kilgore
            Originally Posted by MValmont View Post

            I'm not even going to answer to all of that for obvious reasons...
            Whenever someone says that, I'm forced to conclude that the "obvious reason" they're alluding to is that they don't have a good answer. They may be great at hype and hyperbole, but when it comes up with having a reasoned discussion -- and when talking points and far-flung analogies won't cut it anymore -- they're left speechless.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10561099].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author MValmont
              Originally Posted by kilgore View Post

              Whenever someone says that, I'm forced to conclude that the "obvious reason" they're alluding to is that they don't have a good answer. They may be great at hype and hyperbole, but when it comes up with having a reasoned discussion -- and when talking points and far-flung analogies won't cut it anymore -- they're left speechless.

              Alright, i'll answer then...

              When I say : would you sell a stock that used to give you a 40% return but now gives you a 35%, what i'm trying to say here is that :

              Yes, Probably Amazon got more competitive, but the returns are still really good. Much better than other methods in my opinion and way easier to get started also. Should someone quit Amazon because instead of making $6000 per month he is now making $5500? I doubt it. Actually, try to come up with methods where as time goes, the margins are getting higher, because I really would like to know about them

              Seems pretty easy to understand but if you still have questions on this, i'll be glad to talk to you by PM,

              MValmont.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10561116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author publicworks
    Do you know how to do the Affiliate program? Do you have good idea about the Affiliate Marketing? Do you have website with good traffic & page rank? if Yes, you can do the Amazon Affiliate. The Amazon Affiliate is same as other affiliate. If you know any affiliate, you will be able to work here. Thanks for asking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10560918].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IndianBro
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10560942].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author interwebbuzz
      Originally Posted by IndianBro View Post

      1. Write quality reviews that really help people. You can write on your own or hire a good writer. Do not buy $5 or $10 crap.
      So how much should you pay for amazon review articles?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10562060].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author xnice
        Originally Posted by interwebbuzz View Post

        So how much should you pay for amazon review articles?
        It should be $20-$50 per article. At beginning, you can try with $10 article for 500 words article. Then, you will add more content when you see it works.
        Signature
        Need Quality Backlinks: Check Out How To Buy Quality Backlinks in 2018?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10562966].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shoaibcpa
    If you want to sell your product on amazon, you should focus on your product photos.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10560954].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    I still don't understand the desire to promote products that are easily attainable on a website even people who don't have Internet know about.

    What Amazon did was very clever - Get people to promote and "review" your products knowing full well 99% of them will go directly to Amazon to buy.

    Money From Amazon - Mostly Hype?
    Absolutely, 100% correct!
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10560992].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MValmont
      Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post

      I still don't understand the desire to promote products that are easily attainable on a website even people who don't have Internet know about.

      What Amazon did was very clever - Get people to promote and "review" your products knowing full well 99% of them will go directly to Amazon to buy.



      Absolutely, 100% correct!

      Most people click on the link then get redirected to Amazon.com anyways, so people still buy on Amazon.

      Plus, I think everyone that person buys on amazon for the next 24 hours, the affiliates will get a commission.


      Wait, are you saying people are NOT making money while being an amazon affiliate? haha
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10561039].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Curtis2011
    OP has asked about making money with Amazon.

    However, he needs to be more specific. Does he want to make money by selling items ON Amazon, or make money by selling items through the Amazon affiliate program?

    The two methods are completely different business models.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10561106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bmcgehee
    If OP is interesting in selling on amazon, I suggest just signing up. There are tons tutorials on their website. Also there are tons of facebook groups. no need to pay for training.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10561126].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LouisMcknight
    I would use Profit Sourcery if you are looking for a way to make money selling hard goods on amazon. I used it for a month and made 4k from it but hard goods are not my thing. The shipping just became very annoying to me. You could set this up with a drop shipper if you wanted to.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10561198].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maxsi
    It is hard to make money on Amazon as every other money-making program.

    I mean this =>> if you don't know every single aspect of the Amazon business, then it will be very hard as every other affiliate program. You must be an expert on the marketing you do for that niche
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10561967].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Curtis2011 View Post

      OP has asked about making money with Amazon.

      However, he needs to be more specific. Does he want to make money by selling items ON Amazon, or make money by selling items through the Amazon affiliate program?

      The two methods are completely different business models.
      Another thing to consider is how much money he wants to make.

      Adding a couple of hundred a month to fill in budget gaps or repay loans is one thing. Making a full time living is another. So is the "world domination" level many like to fantasize about.

      They all take different approaches, as well as different levels of time and resource commitment.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10561992].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobro
    Please remember you only get 4% commission. That certainly does makes life difficult for us. However, it is so necessary. Otherwise, there would be no money in amazon. Of course, the goal of internet marketing is for you to make money. Maybe, we would be much better off collecting bottle caps. All said, I do not look at amazon as a revenue source.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10563909].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MValmont
      Originally Posted by seobro View Post

      Please remember you only get 4% commission. That certainly does makes life difficult for us. However, it is so necessary. Otherwise, there would be no money in amazon. Of course, the goal of internet marketing is for you to make money. Maybe, we would be much better off collecting bottle caps. All said, I do not look at amazon as a revenue source.

      The commission goes higher when you reach a certain point. Also, they pay low commission because they don't need to pay higher ( Just think about it for a second) People would promote other stuff with higher commission if it paid more money, but the fact is that it is EASY TO SELL ON AMAZON BECAUSE PEOPLE TRUST AMAZON.

      You really think i'm going to buy a brand new camera on some dude's website that i've never heard about? Hell no, i'm shopping on Amazon because I trust them.

      Amazon offers low commission because lots of people promote their products, and lots of people promote their products because it sells...

      I'm actually amazed by some of the comments in this thread. I'm absolutely blown away. Honestly guys if you can't sell stuff on Amazon, which is probably the website people trust the most....Time to quit internet marketing
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10564244].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cooler1
      Originally Posted by seobro View Post

      Please remember you only get 4% commission. That certainly does makes life difficult for us. However, it is so necessary. Otherwise, there would be no money in amazon. Of course, the goal of internet marketing is for you to make money. Maybe, we would be much better off collecting bottle caps. All said, I do not look at amazon as a revenue source.
      Only certain niches are capped at 4% such as electronics. Most niches are on a tier based commission structure which can go as high as 8.5% depending on how many items you sell in a month.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10564264].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        I'm always amused by the whining about Amazon's low commissions. People get addicted to infoproduct commissions where vendors have to offer 50%, 75% even 100% just to get anyone to play. Kind of like saying, "you're so ugly your mama had to hang a pork chop around your neck to get the dog to play with you."

        Commissions on physical products (not just Amazon) have to be lower. It's basic economics.

        On a digital product, there is virtually no cost for each product delivered, other than affiliate commissions. In other words, the vendor can pay based on the sales price.

        With physical products, you have things like the cost of the product, warehousing, delivery, often interest on the loan used to pay for stock, and more. Affiliate commissions have to come out of the margin left after those costs have been paid.

        Amazon commissions top out at 8.5% if you can move enough volume. For products that often have margins in the 25-33% range, that's not all that bad.

        You want to spend your time promoting yet another "how to make a fortune, lose 50 pounds and get laid by a supermodel every night with no cost and no effort" course on clickbank, have at it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10572129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kickback
    i have only begun the affiliate program recently myself, i have already made almost $20. thats not a lot but its start and for just starting out im fairly pleased, i could see how with better seo this could grow exponentially.
    Signature
    Looking for an affordable guitar? Playing tips? A place to discuss music and your favorite bands? http://kickbackmusic.ca/ has affordable beginner and brand name guitars, community forum and discussion blogs! Vist us today!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10563994].message }}

Trending Topics