Amazon Affiliate Website and Legal Disclaimer

8 replies
What legal disclaimers fo you have to place on amazon afiliate websites and where should these (if required) go?
#affiliate #amazon #disclaimer #legal #website
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    Go to amazon to find out exactly what you need. For the life of me I do not understand why people day in and day out come to the warrior forum to ask questions that can and should be answered by the company they are inquiring about.

    Did you read the TOS when you signed up for amazon, based on this question I would say, probably not

    al
    Signature

    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
    ~Jack Handey~

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10592028].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author interwebbuzz
      Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

      Go to amazon to find out exactly what you need. For the life of me I do not understand why people day in and day out come to the warrior forum to ask questions that can and should be answered by the company they are inquiring about.

      Did you read the TOS when you signed up for amazon, based on this question I would say, probably not

      al
      I joined amazon some 5 years ago. Don't recall anything existing (maybe wrong ). Have been away since...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10592516].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sojourn
        Originally Posted by interwebbuzz View Post

        I joined amazon some 5 years ago. Don't recall anything existing (maybe wrong ). Have been away since...
        There is most definitely a required disclosure and it's been there since at least 2009 (but I know those things are hard to read!). It's #10 in the Operating Agreement.

        I put my disclosure in the sidebar - not right at the top but not too far down the page, either. For some percentage of visitors, they'll see both the link to Amazon and the disclosure at the same time.

        Amazon does not specify where this disclosure should be located - only that you must have it on your site. The FTC's Endorsement Guides does specifically mention affiliate marketing and is a little more specific by saying that the disclosure needs to be "clear and conspicuous".

        I have moved that disclosure over the years from a separate page, to the footer, to the bottom of the sidebar and then higher on the sidebar on some sites and have not noticed a drop in conversion rates as a result.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10592569].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wayneh
          Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post

          There is most definitely a required disclosure and it's been there since at least 2009 (but I know those things are hard to read!). It's #10 in the Operating Agreement.

          I put my disclosure in the sidebar - not right at the top but not too far down the page, either. For some percentage of visitors, they'll see both the link to Amazon and the disclosure at the same time.
          I put my disclosure in the sidebar too. Here's a link to the operating agreement

          https://affiliate-program.amazon.com...tes/agreement/ where you can find the wording in Section 10.
          Signature
          CLICK HERE for techniques and reviews of affiliate marketing training
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10592591].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AnniePot
      Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

      Go to amazon to find out exactly what you need. For the life of me I do not understand why people day in and day out come to the warrior forum to ask questions that can and should be answered by the company they are inquiring about.

      Did you read the TOS when you signed up for amazon, based on this question I would say, probably not al
      Everyone who is an Amazon affiliate, should read through their TOS periodically. This changes/is added to quite often and although they usually notify affiliates by email of any changes, I know I often forget to follow up on these emails.

      I agree wholeheartedly with you agmccall. The WF isn't here to do the legwork for people who think it's not necessary to research and read the TOS of the companies they wish to affiliate with. Over and over we see people complaining because their affiliate accounts have been shut down over transgressions they clearly could have avoided.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10592560].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cooler1
    The disclaimer can be put either on a separate page or in the footer. Some people say it's best to put it in the footer, so it's shown on every page the visitor is on.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10592035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BradVert2013
    Amazon gives you the disclaimer to add to your website in the Associate terms of service page.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10592210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Unregistered
    outstanding information on this - remember your disclaimer!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10595265].message }}

Trending Topics