I'm considering monthly pricing options for web design / development services. This is my first time persuing web business so I would love to hear your feedback. I've been working as a designer/developer for the past 6 years, so building is nothing new to me. Business is.
The business model I'm playing around with:
60-80/mo for a 2 year contract, targeting small biz. Simply put, I own their site until contract expiration. They would still manage all of their pages and content.
- smaller monthly payment may be easier to digest for some small businesses
- After contract expiration, they may continue to stay with me at the monthly rate indefinately, or take their website assets and leave.
- Continual cash flow
- would require working with a lot of clients for the long haul
- They could be a difficult client and could require 80+ hours of initial design changes
Not sure of yet
- Tech support, maybe charge hourly in addition
- Ongoing benefits, since hosting + domain average about 20/mo, I think I would communicate that the remaining 40/mo would be part of the build
- Possibly rather than contact tech support, I could release a video library for which the monthly payment would also compensate
It may sound really scatterbrained, that's because it is.
I would love to hear your thoughts on pricing modeles, especially for monthly retainers.