Feedback on PLR packages & topics for potential WSO

by wordwizard 21 replies
Dear Fellow Warriors,

I would love to get your feedback on this one:

I'm thinking about putting in a series of marathon writing sessions to create some
PLR article packs and would like to know which topics you think would
sell especially well as a WSO.

I'd also appreciate feedback on how many articles (5, 10, ?) to include in each,
and how much to charge for them.

I won't promise that I'll write about all or even any of the suggested topics (depending on what they are), but if I can do a good job with them without having to do too much research, I'll give it a shot.

What do you think?

Thanks so much for helping me out.

Elisabeth
#main internet marketing discussion forum #feedback #packages #plr #plr articles #plr packs #popular plr topics #potential #topics #wso
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author John Hillage
    No idea if this helps or not. But I was looking at the online searches for the niche of "tarot" and it's significant - this could be a great niche for people to try out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[100688].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordwizard
      Hmmm. Tarot. I hadn't thought of that, but I could write a few articles about that one...

      Thanks, John.
      Signature

      HAPPY NEW YEAR SALE
      on sales letters, (pre-sell) reports & email series!
      FREE Training & Software/Plugins CLICK HERE to Join My IM Facebook Group!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[101292].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KimW
      Originally Posted by John Hillage View Post

      No idea if this helps or not. But I was looking at the online searches for the niche of "tarot" and it's significant - this could be a great niche for people to try out.
      John,
      Are you looking for anything in particular about Tarot?
      Kim
      Signature

      Read A Post.
      Subscribe to a Newsletter
      KimWinfrey.Com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[102326].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dana_W
    My advice - test the waters first before you put a huge amount of work into it. The reason I suggest this - I've run very successful WSOs in the past for my ghostwriting services, I just did a WSO for a handbook on Twitter that did great...and then I just did a WSO for weight loss PLR and it completely, totally, bombed.

    Now, there could be a number of reasons for this. A number of people pointed out various flaws in the way I presented the WSO, in the offer itself - I was trying to sell graphics and articles and a short report that would help people build a list in the weight loss market - or it could be what one warrior told me, that PLR seems to not be doing well at the moment.

    In another thread, a warrior told me that he did a weight loss PLR WSO and it also did horribly. I really don't know why because the weight loss industry is HUGE.

    So my long rambling point is...don't kill yourself creating a big elaborate package...test the waters first.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[101405].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KenJ
      Good advice from Dana
      Try out 10 articles for a crazy price and if you sell out you know there is money in that niche. THEN write a larger package to sell.

      I have 10 articles in the languge niche that I am about to try out in this way. They are great articles that took me 4 hours to write. If they all sell then I know it is worth writing the 50 I have in mind
      I will know the work is worth the effort.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[101445].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author wordwizard
        Thanks so much, Dana,

        that's good advice... And no wonder that Twitter book sold so well, Dana. Twitter is hot and tricky, your sales copy sounded very promising, and the price was right. I just got one myself ;-)

        I've started using Twitter more, but I still have ways to go in the learning curve. I even have several Twitter books already, but each one leaves out crucial info. Looking forward to reading yours.

        Weightloss -- maybe it's because there were so many weightloss PLRs available recently? Or maybe it's because bathing suit season is just about over...

        Anyway, I'll check around some more...

        E
        Signature

        HAPPY NEW YEAR SALE
        on sales letters, (pre-sell) reports & email series!
        FREE Training & Software/Plugins CLICK HERE to Join My IM Facebook Group!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[101490].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wordwizard
          Thanks kenj,

          that's a good idea. Though maybe I shouldn't make the price too crazy or else I won't get a really good read on how many people would buy the bigger set at a somewhat more reasonable price...

          actually, I don't think I could make myself write a 50 article plr pack all on the same stuff. I was thinking more in line of different 10 packs...

          Language niche? As in learning languages? Sounds good. I don't think I've ever seen a PLR offer on that.

          Elisabeth

          P.S.: I love your sig!
          Signature

          HAPPY NEW YEAR SALE
          on sales letters, (pre-sell) reports & email series!
          FREE Training & Software/Plugins CLICK HERE to Join My IM Facebook Group!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[101501].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
          Originally Posted by wordwizard View Post

          Weightloss -- maybe it's because there were so many weightloss PLRs available recently? Or maybe it's because bathing suit season is just about over...
          I think you may be on to something with the former. I bought some weight loss PLR WSOs a couple weeks ago, and when I was buying, there were, if I remember right, about 5 different WSOs that were offering weight loss articles. I think I bought two, and the ones I bought were the ones that, from the WSO page, sounded like they would give me the best bang for the buck. One was strictly weight loss and the other, I think, had a variety of topics. And, since I have more than one site, I went with that one, as opposed to some of the other strictly weight loss offers.
          Signature

          Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

          Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[101516].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dana_W
          Originally Posted by wordwizard View Post

          Thanks so much, Dana,

          that's good advice... And no wonder that Twitter book sold so well, Dana. Twitter is hot and tricky, your sales copy sounded very promising, and the price was right. I just got one myself ;-)

          I've started using Twitter more, but I still have ways to go in the learning curve. I even have several Twitter books already, but each one leaves out crucial info. Looking forward to reading yours.

          Weightloss -- maybe it's because there were so many weightloss PLRs available recently? Or maybe it's because bathing suit season is just about over...

          Anyway, I'll check around some more...

          E
          If there are any specific areas of Twitter that you feel have not been addressed yet, in my book or in other people's books, PM me and let me know!

          A while back I was thinking of doing PLR, I asked about it (on the old forum) and got a couple dozen responses as to what people were looking for specifically in PLR. The fact that this thread has been kind of quiet has me wondering, again, if the market for PLR is slow right now for some reason.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[101870].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author wordwizard
            To Karen,

            Wow! Those are GREAT suggestions! Thanks so much!

            And thanks for the examples especially! I think I'll have a go at some of those.


            Note to Dan:

            Thanks for your comments about your buying decision. What I take away from
            that is the idea to keep the collections small and maybe allow the bundling of
            different ones (or let people buy similar ones, depending on their website needs).


            Note to Dana:

            I think you may have a good point here with the PLR getting slower:

            there are a whole lot of PLR sites that have sprung up recently and I have
            so much stuff I don't know where to start with reading it all let along fixing it up for
            sale, and I'm finally able to resist when there's another OTO of 50 PLR ebooks etc.

            Worst case scenario... if it doesn't sell, I suppose I can always use them myself ;-)
            Although that would defeat the purpose of making some quick $$$ I suppose.








            .
            Signature

            HAPPY NEW YEAR SALE
            on sales letters, (pre-sell) reports & email series!
            FREE Training & Software/Plugins CLICK HERE to Join My IM Facebook Group!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[102317].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Keyes
      Everyone seems to try and sell weight loss PLR, instead why don't you specialize? The way I see it, if I had customers in the HUGE weight loss niche (ie, a list), I would be more interested in NICHE level PLR than just generic weight loss PLR which I can find anywhere.

      Niches within weight loss could be:
      - overweight children
      - weight loss and diabetes
      - weight loss and pregnancy
      - review of a specific diet (short report PLR)
      - comparisons of some popular diets
      - back pain (many overweight people deal with this regularly)

      etc. etc.

      Also think of niches that someone who wants to lose weight would be interested in:
      - motivation (now link this to weight loss)
      - healthy eating
      - exercise
      - low impact exercise
      - walking
      - etc etc

      Then your WSO title can still target the main Weight Loss niche but also expose a more targeted topic. Like:

      Walking For Any Level Of Fitness - Weight Loss Marketers Get Your 100% LIMITED Unique PLR Here

      Understanding Healthy Eating And How It Can Make You Successful AT Losing Weight - LIMITED PLR

      Learn How Low Impact Exercise CAN Help You Lose Weight - LIMITED PLR

      etc.

      HTH,
      Karen

      Originally Posted by Dana_W View Post

      My advice - test the waters first before you put a huge amount of work into it. The reason I suggest this - I've run very successful WSOs in the past for my ghostwriting services, I just did a WSO for a handbook on Twitter that did great...and then I just did a WSO for weight loss PLR and it completely, totally, bombed.

      Now, there could be a number of reasons for this. A number of people pointed out various flaws in the way I presented the WSO, in the offer itself - I was trying to sell graphics and articles and a short report that would help people build a list in the weight loss market - or it could be what one warrior told me, that PLR seems to not be doing well at the moment.

      In another thread, a warrior told me that he did a weight loss PLR WSO and it also did horribly. I really don't know why because the weight loss industry is HUGE.

      So my long rambling point is...don't kill yourself creating a big elaborate package...test the waters first.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[101542].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mmurtha
        Originally Posted by Karen Newton View Post

        Everyone seems to try and sell weight loss PLR, instead why don't you specialize? The way I see it, if I had customers in the HUGE weight loss niche (ie, a list), I would be more interested in NICHE level PLR than just generic weight loss PLR which I can find anywhere.

        Niches within weight loss could be:
        - overweight children
        - weight loss and diabetes
        - weight loss and pregnancy
        - review of a specific diet (short report PLR)
        - comparisons of some popular diets
        - back pain (many overweight people deal with this regularly)

        etc. etc.

        Also think of niches that someone who wants to lose weight would be interested in:
        - motivation (now link this to weight loss)
        - healthy eating
        - exercise
        - low impact exercise
        - walking
        - etc etc

        Then your WSO title can still target the main Weight Loss niche but also expose a more targeted topic. Like:

        Walking For Any Level Of Fitness - Weight Loss Marketers Get Your 100% LIMITED Unique PLR Here

        Understanding Healthy Eating And How It Can Make You Successful AT Losing Weight - LIMITED PLR

        Learn How Low Impact Exercise CAN Help You Lose Weight - LIMITED PLR

        etc.

        HTH,
        Karen
        Karen,

        You are right on cue. I totally agree!

        The biggest problem with selling PLR article packs is that one person sees another posting about a specific subject, so they think it's a hot market and end up running PLR about the same broad subject.

        To be honest about it, people should find some micro niches and sell them. Hone in on 3-4 specifics and keep writing about them. Then once you get a couple of packs together, start on 3-4 different micro niches.

        The narrower the better.

        I know I write Christian PLR packs, but sell them privately mostly because the people that buy from me have specific micro niches they do not want other people to know about.

        I think once people get to know you, your writing, and what subject matter you write about, they will keep coming back, especially if the writing is high quality.

        All the best ...


        Mary
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[102332].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Karen Keyes
          Let's just "attack" new writers (in a friendly way) wanting to write and sell PLR (whether that be here or somewhere outside the WF). You can be the greatest writer on this planet and still have a crappy WSO:

          - the topic you've written about isn't of high interest (or sales are slow due to low mass interest)
          - your sales copy is bad
          - you don't understand your target market


          The thing is unless you have someone else marketing your writing skills, you need to be just as much a marketer as you are a writer. There are currently approximately 1000 offers on the WSO board. Really, think about it. How in the heck can you stand out, from 1000 offers? What I'm trying to say is while it's equally important to select profitable PLR niches (which does NOT always equate to what a profitable niche would be in your mind), it's also equally important to know how to market your PLR successfully.

          Let's just say you really are doing a "general" PLR package in the weight loss field. And also let's assume there are currently 10 other offers in the "general" weight loss field. What can YOUR offer do to be just a LITTLE better than the others? Can you offer additional content? Can you offer it in different mediums? Can you throw in extra graphics? Can you write persuasive copy and add some autoresponder courses? Can you provide keyword research data from a popular or reputable keyword tool? Can you supplement with additional PLR bonuses (even if it's 3rd party PLR)?

          Think outside the box. What if you said the first ten buyers would get free rewrites of the articles in the PLR package? There's so much more you can do to make YOUR PLR packages stand out from the crowd (but first and foremost, the writing needs to be top notch to build repeat buyers).

          And I have to disagree about the comments made (sorry was too lazy to multiquote) about PLR slowing down. Really think about this. Wouldn't PLR sales slowing down mean that people are weaning off of putting fresh content on their money sites? Come on that is nowhere near the truth.

          I apologize in advance if I offend anyone - but if you have PLR in a mass-appealing niche (this includes drilled down niches), and sales are bad, then it's likely due to either POOR writing or POOR sales copy. More often than not, from offers that I look at, it's likely poor sales copy.


          The other important lesson I learned awhile back, from personal experience, is do NOT create an offer that is NOT targeted. Meaning, I put together a WSO with 3 packages of 3 completely totally different niche topics. The packages were huge (ebook, keywords, autoresponder course, graphics etc.) and quality. Sales were BAD and I know for a fact that it's because I didn't attract the right people to view my sales copy. Why? Because I couldn't have a post title that explained all 3 niches, and people who would have been interested in any of the niches wouldn't even have known the PLR existed. I know for a fact this was the problem, because later on I changed methods and launched the offers individually. WSO titles specifically stated the niche, listed in short form the massive content, said the word LIMITED, and said the word PLR. Sales? Awesome, I sold out on all 3 niche packages (30 package limit on each). Very valuable lesson learned: TARGET TARGET TARGET. Plus, your WSO post title is extremely important. It's your ONE SHOT at getting someone to click on your post.

          I haven't done any PLR article packages (I've focused mainly on ebooks in the past), but I wouldn't even consider doing a PLR article package unless the word counts for each article were at least 500 words. That's just personal preference, not based on market research or any statistical data of what buyers would prefer. Just thought I'd stick that in there.

          Also, I think an important strategy when selling PLR is to make it blatantly obvious that it is LIMITED. I always put that in the WSO post title. Limited fresh content attracts buyers.

          Here's a hint I just thought of. If you're considering writing PLR, go over to the WarriorPlus (sorry don't have url off the top of my head) site and search through past WSOs that have the word PLR in the post title. Study the ones that have been successful. Make a list of what the niches are. Make a list of points about each posts' sales copy and key things that you figure helped the sales.

          One final thing (brain is going in overdrive here!)... always consider seasonal niches when coming up with PLR articles, they tend to move very fast. Halloween is coming up and I've hardly seen ANY PLR offers yet, even though people will be getting their halloween niche sites ready by now to get indexed etc. in time. Um halloween costumes are already out at the stores, how come the content isn't out yet in the WSO forum?? Somebody get moving! Disclaimer: I have no idea if the halloween niche is of enough mass appeal - was just an example. But on that note... I would bet my bottom dollar that Christmas niche topics will do well, and I'll probably do a couple article packs myself.

          Fun fun!
          Karen
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[102425].message }}
    • I hear you, Dana. I recently did a PLR WSO in the financial niche, with articles about forclosures and debt consolidation and the like. It didn't do well at all. That's a huge niche, too.

      Maybe the niches are so big that a lot of people aren't trying to work them? Who knows, but I had the same experience you did. I know enough about you to know that your articles were great stuff, too.


      Originally Posted by Dana_W View Post

      My advice - test the waters first before you put a huge amount of work into it. The reason I suggest this - I've run very successful WSOs in the past for my ghostwriting services, I just did a WSO for a handbook on Twitter that did great...and then I just did a WSO for weight loss PLR and it completely, totally, bombed.

      Now, there could be a number of reasons for this. A number of people pointed out various flaws in the way I presented the WSO, in the offer itself - I was trying to sell graphics and articles and a short report that would help people build a list in the weight loss market - or it could be what one warrior told me, that PLR seems to not be doing well at the moment.

      In another thread, a warrior told me that he did a weight loss PLR WSO and it also did horribly. I really don't know why because the weight loss industry is HUGE.

      So my long rambling point is...don't kill yourself creating a big elaborate package...test the waters first.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------------


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[138920].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dick Doe
      Originally Posted by Dana_W View Post

      My advice - test the waters first before you put a huge amount of work into it. The reason I suggest this - I've run very successful WSOs in the past for my ghostwriting services, I just did a WSO for a handbook on Twitter that did great...and then I just did a WSO for weight loss PLR and it completely, totally, bombed.

      Now, there could be a number of reasons for this. A number of people pointed out various flaws in the way I presented the WSO, in the offer itself - I was trying to sell graphics and articles and a short report that would help people build a list in the weight loss market - or it could be what one warrior told me, that PLR seems to not be doing well at the moment.

      In another thread, a warrior told me that he did a weight loss PLR WSO and it also did horribly. I really don't know why because the weight loss industry is HUGE.

      So my long rambling point is...don't kill yourself creating a big elaborate package...test the waters first.
      Dana, no offense meant, but what you say sounds a bit strange to me, because the bulk of my plr wsos are always on weight loss, and they're sold out most of the time. Yep, I try something new or seasonal once in a while (like, right now I have a Halloween plr wso going), but weight loss remains my stronghold.

      I guess it might be the bad economy in US right now that is hurting the wso sales. Just a guess though

      I would however keep your advice in mind just in case any day I wish to switch to other niches
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[141664].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Didier Faucher
    Originally Posted by wordwizard View Post

    I'm thinking about putting in a series of marathon writing sessions to create some
    PLR article packs and would like to know which topics you think would
    sell especially well as a WSO.
    Not sure whether these topics sell well, but I'd love to find articles about:
    - Making money selling stock photos online.
    - Internet marketing techniques for photographers.

    Didier
    Signature

    Saya Mau Makan Angin - I Want To eat The Wind (Why not?)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[102428].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordwizard
      Thanks so much, Karen, for your amazing advice.

      I thought I had written an answer but I must have gotten side-tracked (and then I got wrapped up in other projects and haven't been back for fear of busting my budget even more with all those irresistible WSO offers).

      I do remember getting kind of discouraged. Clearly, selling PLR articles is way more complicated and risky than I had expected

      But then you also had a great deal of encouraging info there and GREAT tips! BTW, I agree about the 500 words word count. Ezinearticles.com notwithstanding, that seems to be a standard size for article directories (not that PLR articles can be used for those, at least not without major rewrites).

      And it's easy to chop them in half for things like blog posts and autoresponder fodder, so people can get double mileage of articles of that size.

      Halloween... of course, by now it's 2 weeks closer. And the window of opportunity is kind of limited... But the holidays are definitely worth a shot. And yes, I'll definitely do a bit of research on how well other article packs sold.

      Thanks again.

      Elisabeth
      Signature

      HAPPY NEW YEAR SALE
      on sales letters, (pre-sell) reports & email series!
      FREE Training & Software/Plugins CLICK HERE to Join My IM Facebook Group!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[138905].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author wordwizard
        Didier,

        thanks for the suggestion & sorry for the late reply.

        Don't know much about the topic & would have to do some research... you think there's a market big enough on the WF to sell a bunch of these?

        Elisabeth
        Signature

        HAPPY NEW YEAR SALE
        on sales letters, (pre-sell) reports & email series!
        FREE Training & Software/Plugins CLICK HERE to Join My IM Facebook Group!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[138912].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dana_W
    Thank you, Angela, I appreciate the vote of confidence! I drastically slashed the price on my article pack, rewrote the sales copy, and now it is selling much better. I still feel like I should be able to charge at least twice as much for it, but maybe the only way to sell PLR on here is to sell it really cheaply and hope for quantity.

    I would think that a financial PLR pack would sell really well in this current financial climate, so again, I'm surprised to hear that yours didn't do well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[139050].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dana_W
    No, I'm not offended at all. I think I may not have done a good job with my WSO sales copy the first time around; when I rewrote the copy and dropped the price, I made a lot of sales. I hear really mixed messages from people about PLR, though; some say they did great with it, some totally bomb. It may just be introducing it at the wrong time, charging too much for it, being unclear about the benefits in the sales copy...who knows.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[141674].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dick Doe
      Originally Posted by Dana_W View Post

      No, I'm not offended at all. I think I may not have done a good job with my WSO sales copy the first time around; when I rewrote the copy and dropped the price, I made a lot of sales. I hear really mixed messages from people about PLR, though; some say they did great with it, some totally bomb. It may just be introducing it at the wrong time, charging too much for it, being unclear about the benefits in the sales copy...who knows.
      On another note, whenever I have tried selling anything other than weight loss plr (such as health and fitness) , it didn't do that well. I guess when it comes to plr, some niches work well for some ppl, and some others don't.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[141693].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics