What's a blogger like me doing on the HuffPo?

28 replies
This is not a brag... heavens, it's not a brag b/c seriously, it's just a mention of my perspective on blogging.

I wanted to tell YOU, that I'm currently quoted in a HuffPo article (don't know if I can link outside WF so I won't, but you could PM me if you want the link... for whatever).

I've also been on Forbes and some of the biggest blogs on the internet, but this is really not about me.

It's about HOW to build your blog, get free promo bits, and great great backlinks from the top pros in your niche.

One almost sure way is to comment, comment, comment on top blogs, medium blogs, blogs that suck.

Let people know your perspective, ask questions, get into the convo. I mean really INTO the convo, not just flashing your link and running.

This is not a fast overnight sensation kind of thing. But over time, if you're talking enough, yes to influencers, but really... to everybody... you WILL get noticed.

I get requests to do interviews every day (that's actually how I ended up on HuffPo today.

I get request constantly to do guest posts, roundups, what have you.

It's because I'm out there, in my niche, interacting, never holding back, every every every day.

It all results in lots of free traffic back to my blog, subscribers to my list without even trying and yaddy yaddy.

Happy Hunting, Traffic Hounds
#blogger #blogging #huffpo #traffic
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    That's so awesome.

    I recently compiled a MASSIVE list of blogs in my niche that I follow religiously via RSS tools.

    I used to comment a ton back in the day; need to step my game up.

    Thanks for your motivation. You ROCK!


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10648337].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author answergal
    Love hearing that you're steppin' up!

    I don't hear a lot about blogging here on WF but hey, everyone wants free traffic and yet so few go this route which is absolutely awesome.

    You give great advice, too. Get your RSS list going and be consistent, helpful and just you.

    It's fun too
    Signature
    ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10648349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    Yep... It's also the best brainstorming session you can ever have.

    If you suffer from writer's block?

    Spend 2 minutes reading 100 subject lines.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10648352].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      Writer's block?

      I just finished ep.2 Orphan Black.

      Deep into the Clone Club.

      Talk about free association (and paranoia).

      Sorry to be oblique... Google Orphan Black if you're not up on it... you'd have to love it.

      I feel a blog post forming already.

      Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post

      Yep... It's also the best brainstorming session you can ever have.

      If you suffer from writer's block?

      Spend 2 minutes reading 100 subject lines.

      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10648380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author art72
    Alright... so what your really saying is you are... actually telling people; "to go play in traffic?"

    That's awesome!!!

    Been brushing up on learning the benefits of guest blogging, syndication, and would definitely be thrilled to be able to one day flash those infamous links;

    As Seen on: Forbes, Huffington Post, Entrepreneur Magazine, etc...

    I think the key is, as you said; "putting yourself out here, and getting into the thick of your niche".

    While my site/blog is still in development - I am finishing the free book give-a-way, email sequences, and necessary elements before I start blogging and writing articles... there's something about "stepping out in front of existing traffic" that just seems to make sense... especially, if your primarily a writer.

    I actually plan to settle into writing 10-15 articles min per month, with a mix of informative pieces, reviews, promotional, and of course... articles exclusively offered to 3rd party sites.

    I figure, if I can establish a handful of quality, high traffic sites to feature some of my work (like you have managed to do) the combination of free targeted traffic, and quality back links... would be the greater benefit, and still... having that featured in (or on) Forbes, Huff, and other media channels would be the icing on the cake!

    Although, I suppose it crosses other media channels as in video, television, radio, news, etc... as they all 'syndicate' through there networks, similar to the guru bandwagon reciprocating with promoting each others products.

    Good stuff! -Thank-You!

    Art
    Signature
    Coming Soon... *Laser Targeted Lead Generation Services
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10648386].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      I know it seems like blogging is content-heavy, especially when you're writing your brains out.

      The little trick to getting massive leverage from blogging, though, is not to write so terribly much, but to engage with people like crazy.

      I typically get like 50 to 75 comments on each blog post I write which is only one a week (on my own blog, anyway). I've had over 200.

      Point being, I talk to people.

      I love helping people find their way online and I do a lot of private coaching and all, but hey... there's definitely some kind of a weird world outside of paypal and I like exploring. That's what I really love about bloggers... they can just move in all directions and they're not so boxed in... kind of like the Blog (probably on Hulu if you never saw it).

      Back to my point. I'm from Brooklyn originally.

      I could (and did) spend 3 hours at the bread store or the pork store getting or the pastry shop getting one little thing. Like, it's 3 blocks to walk and I'd be gone half a day just listening to everyone's stories... and tell a few of my own.

      But it's never about just one thing. It morphs by the minute. But you gotta listen, you gotta talk, you gotta engage. That's what it's all about.

      That's what blogging is for me and I think it's great you're digging into a system and a method and you have plans, but just start doing some stuff. It doesn't have to be great or even pretty, but you'll get a lot more mileage by just splashing some stuff on the canvas than by painting by the numbers.

      Hey, I told you I can talk.

      Originally Posted by art72 View Post

      Alright... so what your really saying is you are... actually telling people; "to go play in traffic?"

      That's awesome!!!

      Been brushing up on learning the benefits of guest blogging, syndication, and would definitely be thrilled to be able to one day flash those infamous links;

      As Seen on: Forbes, Huffington Post, Entrepreneur Magazine, etc...

      I think the key is, as you said; "putting yourself out here, and getting into the thick of your niche".

      While my site/blog is still in development - I am finishing the free book give-a-way, email sequences, and necessary elements before I start blogging and writing articles... there's something about "stepping out in front of existing traffic" that just seems to make sense... especially, if your primarily a writer.

      I actually plan to settle into writing 10-15 articles min per month, with a mix of informative pieces, reviews, promotional, and of course... articles exclusively offered to 3rd party sites.

      I figure, if I can establish a handful of quality, high traffic sites to feature some of my work (like you) the combination of free targeted traffic, and quality back links... would be the greater benefit, and still... having that featured in (or on) Forbes, Huff, and other media channels would be the icing on the cake!

      Although, I suppose it crosses other media channels as in video, television, radio, news, etc... as they all 'syndicate' through there networks, similar to the guru bandwagon reciprocating with promoting each others products.

      Good stuff! -Thank-You!

      Art
      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10648413].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Yep, I agree answergal. Blog commenting is a highly effective way to get consistent, highy targeted traffic.

    But unfortunately around these parts people are averse to a little work which blog commenting takes

    btw, congrats on Huffington


    - Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10648389].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      Oh yea, blogging (and especially blog commenting) is no easy work-around. It's intense and you gotta love it... and I do.

      So, for me, talk talk talk... it's a wonderful method for connecting (networking, whatever).

      But you're right. It takes a lot of time and especially if you do it right, meaning no "great post" kind of comments, but really recognizing what the blogger spent a lot of hard work and tons of their own time putting together, and giving some sincere and thoughtful feedback. That's community. That really rocks your business and puts your blog on the map but yea, it's work.

      No Easy Button Blogging methods I know of

      Originally Posted by discrat View Post

      Yep, I agree answergal. Blog commenting is a highly effective way to get consistent, highy targeted traffic.

      But unfortunately around these parts people are averse to a little work which blog commenting takes

      btw, congrats on Huffington


      - Robert Andrew
      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10648415].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spazz896
    Congrats! ~ You've just motivated to start commenting again. I've started hitting up all the blog I used to comment at.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10649278].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      Originally Posted by spazz896 View Post

      Congrats! ~ You've just motivated to start commenting again. I've started hitting up all the blog I used to comment at.
      Hey, glad to hear it.

      Just start catching up with folks and you'll be back in the saddle in no time, full gallop soon enough.
      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10649538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author grandstar
    Congrats. Really happy for you! It shows that if you take blogging passionately and not just as a money making venture, the sky will be just the starting point.

    I see many bloggers in niches they have no passion for and they seem plastic.

    Once more, congrats and more grease to your elbows.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10649356].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      Originally Posted by grandstar View Post

      Congrats. Really happy for you! It shows that if you take blogging passionately and not just as a money making venture, the sky will be just the starting point.

      I see many bloggers in niches they have no passion for and they seem plastic.

      Once more, congrats and more grease to your elbows.
      When people ask "how do I make money blogging?"... they have no idea what blogging is all about.

      I'm not blaming them for that. They see blogging as a profit machine, which it can be, but which it is not intended to be, primarily.

      It's about, as you say, developing your passion. Being a leader in the niche that gets you up every morning. It's even better than coffee... not really, but it's close.

      Thanks for pitching in here.
      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10649540].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheGMa
    Can everybody vote excellent on this thread? Please? For some reason, I can't vote, never have been able to. I get the "something or other is missing" message.

    SO PLEASE! Let's get some stars attached to this thread. It's one of the best I've seen in a long time.

    I used to post 4, 5 articles a week. This was before blogs. I just couldn't help it, I HAD to write, write, write. I was an absolute information hog, totally addicted. Every time I found something interesting in my niche, I had to go find out more and tell everyone.

    One last thing before I scoot - it is such a pleasure to read a thread in which not only is the content dynamite, but the grammar is correct, the spelling is correct, and the punctuation is where it belongs.

    Btw - I'm so excited about building my new site that I'm a bit dithery at the moment, ergo I am not responsible for any typos, misspellings, incorrect attributions, or anything, actually.

    - Annie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10649570].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      Originally Posted by TheGMa View Post

      Can everybody vote excellent on this thread? Please? For some reason, I can't vote, never have been able to. I get the "something or other is missing" message.

      SO PLEASE! Let's get some stars attached to this thread. It's one of the best I've seen in a long time.

      I used to post 4, 5 articles a week. This was before blogs. I just couldn't help it, I HAD to write, write, write. I was an absolute information hog, totally addicted. Every time I found something interesting in my niche, I had to go find out more and tell everyone.

      One last thing before I scoot - it is such a pleasure to read a thread in which not only is the content dynamite, but the grammar is correct, the spelling is correct, and the punctuation is where it belongs.

      Btw - I'm so excited about building my new site that I'm a bit dithery at the moment, ergo I am not responsible for any typos, misspellings, incorrect attributions, or anything, actually.

      - Annie
      Such kind words, thanks for all that

      Your new site sounds cool, but a bit of mystery, here.

      I wonder what's on the "inside" besides dithery bits of typoed drafts... hey I think I gave you some misspells here.

      Good luck with the new site, I'm excited for you.
      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10650344].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by answergal View Post

    It's about HOW to build your blog, get free promo bits, and great great backlinks from the top pros in your niche.

    One almost sure way is to comment, comment, comment on top blogs, medium blogs, blogs that suck.
    Excellent post, Donna.

    This bit might escape people, so it bears repeating.

    Too many discussions about blog commenting turn into recommendations about checking the blog's PageRank, Alexa Rank, domain authority or some other SEO metric and only commenting on posts that fit above a certain threshold, lest you "waste your time."

    Or they twist to automation and making sure you're the first comment on every post, complete with promo.

    You've provided an excellent way for people, not just bloggers, to stand out from the crowd and it doesn't cost a dime.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10650283].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      Excellent post, Donna.

      This bit might escape people, so it bears repeating.

      Too many discussions about blog commenting turn into recommendations about checking the blog's PageRank, Alexa Rank, domain authority or some other SEO metric and only commenting on posts that fit above a certain threshold, lest you "waste your time."

      Or they twist to automation and making sure you're the first comment on every post, complete with promo.

      You've provided an excellent way for people, not just bloggers, to stand out from the crowd and it doesn't cost a dime.
      Hey John...

      In Maine we'd call you the "Happy Hook-ah"

      Anyway, you are so right.

      All the SEO stuff drives me nuts. It tells me who I can and can't talk to and why.

      I understand to some degree, like I don't usually interact too much with bloggers that kill your visits with splash pages, pop-ups, sliders and slithers.

      But I know some of the best bloggers out there use all those automations.

      I don't like them, so I don't use them... but I'm getting off track like I so often do.

      I talk to people, not "bloggers," not "page rankers," not "celebs," not "authorities."

      If they got Alexa, great... but I don't really care one way or another.

      It's community... the good, bad and the ugly... it all adds up to my little neighborhood.

      Happy hookin' this weekend.
      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10650432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Congratulations, and really my congratulations are on your effort.

    I have to say that self-promotion in this forum is really specific to the individual--if I posted I had an article or a quote on a platform, it would be flagged immediately.

    Also, after several years of experience with it, these references aren't worth as much as you think they are. They're "That's nice"-level things, not "put you over the top to make the sale" things. But, still, I know it's a good feeling to get the feedback.

    The real value in what you're talking about is the consistent effort, and the continuous creation of an online asset. I hope people follow your example.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10650434].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      Congratulations, and really my congratulations are on your effort.

      I have to say that self-promotion in this forum is really specific to the individual--if I posted I had an article or a quote on a platform, it would be flagged immediately.

      Also, after several years of experience with it, these references aren't worth as much as you think they are. They're "That's nice"-level things, not "put you over the top to make the sale" things. But, still, I know it's a good feeling to get the feedback.

      The real value in what you're talking about is the consistent effort, and the continuous creation of an online asset. I hope people follow your example.
      Now you're educating me, Jason.

      I didn't think of this as a self-promo bit, though I suppose you could look at it that way.

      I really did just want to make the point about being consistent, being authentic and NOT looking over your shoulder at results.

      This little "star" on my record is, as you point out, a flash in the pan.

      What's nice in a concrete sense is that I'll get some great backlinks from it, and that never hurts... even though I barely know what a backlink is, but I'm told this is good for that and that for something else.

      The real point, though, is to keep doing what you're doing, don't keep chasing cars down the street and you'll likely live to bark another day.

      A sub-point here is that I blog widely and recklessly.

      I don't filter my outreach to just a select crowd, and in fact, this little gift came from nowhere. You never know who you're talking to, what they're about, and where they might lead you... down the rabbit hole.

      So just go. Have some fun and see what happens.
      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10650447].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Originally Posted by answergal View Post

    One almost sure way is to comment, comment, comment on top blogs, medium blogs, blogs that suck.
    Too much work for me LOL. But i'm glad that it's worked (and currently working) for you answergal. Thanks for the awesome people, and i hope you continue to have tremendous success in your writing and marketing career.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10650693].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      Too much work for me LOL. But i'm glad that it's worked (and currently working) for you answergal. Thanks for the awesome people, and i hope you continue to have tremendous success in your writing and marketing career.
      Thanks Randall.

      You know, you are absolutely right. It's a lot of work!

      I think this is why the way overdone cliche to blog about what you're most passionate about. I can't imagine if my blog was about SEO that I could keep it rolling. Nothing wrong with SEO, I just can't keep my head in the game of stats and charts and analytics. So it would be torture and the moment things got tough, I'd run... fast.

      Best to you, Randall, and thanks so much for dropping in.
      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10650717].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ralph83
    Great share! Add value and you'll become valuable.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10650920].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      Originally Posted by Ralph83 View Post

      Great share! Add value and you'll become valuable.
      That's what it takes, Ralph.

      Stop thinking about what you can get from people, and concentrate on what you can give to them.

      Turn a blind eye to the "results" and just keep moving forward.

      The results are sure to follow.
      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10651473].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Peter Johnson0
    Congratulations! Well done!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10652936].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      Originally Posted by Peter Johnson0 View Post

      Congratulations! Well done!
      Thanks Peter.

      Nice to see you out here.
      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10653108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    Too much work for me LOL
    It depends on your goals. If you enjoy the tedium of endless posting, go for it.

    I'm about earning the most for the least amount of effort. I'll check my PPC campaigns and then go to the beach for the rest of the day and converse with real people. The traffic will come, the sales will be made. I'll enjoy the day.

    There is no free traffic. It all costs you something.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10653117].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post

      It depends on your goals. If you enjoy the tedium of endless posting, go for it.

      I'm about earning the most for the least amount of effort. I'll check my PPC campaigns and then go to the beach for the rest of the day and converse with real people. The traffic will come, the sales will be made. I'll enjoy the day.

      There is no free traffic. It all costs you something.
      Wow, you make that sound good, Brent.

      I'd sure like to be on the beach instead of at the home port sometimes.

      I'll have to brush up on some of the latest PPC strategies and see if it I could use it to leverage my blog, courses, member sites and coaching.

      I'm all for leverage (and shorter work days).

      Thanks for giving me something to think about, here.
      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10653139].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Lundgren
    Congratulations, and that's great advice! I think blogging can be intimidating for a lot of people, but if you attack it with a consistent, well laid out plan, and you are able to produce fresh, well-written content, you'll reach your goals!

    Thanks for this share
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10653142].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author answergal
      Originally Posted by Matthew Lundgren View Post

      Congratulations, and that's great advice! I think blogging can be intimidating for a lot of people, but if you attack it with a consistent, well laid out plan, and you are able to produce fresh, well-written content, you'll reach your goals!

      Thanks for this share
      Hey, Matthew, isn't it funny that the "fresh, well-written content" part almost gets lost in the whole craze to get visitors, build lists, monetize...

      But you're right to point out that it's the quality of your content that is what really leads to reaching your goals.

      After all, isn't that really what blogging is all about?
      Signature
      ...==> [GET FREE ACCESS]... "My 3 List Building Machines" shows you exactly what I do to "build a massive email list" of highly targeted, hungry and responsive subscribers... eager to buy your products and services, over and over again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10653394].message }}

Trending Topics