New member from Hong Kong seeking for advise

17 replies
Hello everyone ! So I've heard of this site many years back and knew this whole affiliate marketing is a HUGE industry that feeds millions of people worldwide. Recently I've started digging different articles,videos and websites to get a better idea of how this whole thing works and would like to seek for some experienced advises from you folks.

Business models that are currently in my mind:
1. Amazon coupon affiliate site in local language (Cantonese)
2. Amazon product review niche site/blog
3. Clickbank

#1 seems to be the best option for me because even though Amazon is a well known marketplace the people in HK have just started to notice it due to it's lack of warehouse in HK and cost of logistics.

However in recent years there are many local logistics companies providing solutions to the consumers by giving virtual US addresses and combining the shipment to drive the cost down, hopefully people will start getting used to buying online in this way.

For #2 and #3 I do believe they are more conventional and more resources/tutorials can be found online, however they don't quite fit my skills set since reviews and blog posts required more in-depth knowledge to the specific niche and better English (I'm not a native English speaker).

Is there any resources or beginner guides recommended if I'm going with #1? I know there are tons of courses out there for sale but I would like to hear from you folks first before I step into that rabbit hole, I do believe there are actual valuable courses that doesn't cost cheaply but the key thing here is I would like to see if there's any free sites/tutorials that I should not miss out before I going into there.

Also please do suggest if there are some other options I missed out and should think about too, I guess the focus here is seeking for suitable business model for Hong Kong market as my niche.

TL: DR,
A newbie form Hong Kong seeking for advise in affiliate marketing for the local market.

P.S. I do believe the Cantonese market has potential as I do not see there's any developed community/market in my region and most of the non-English speaking consumers here just either shopping offline or using Chinese marketplace (Like Taobao or other local sites)

Thanks for reading and please leave a few words if you will
#advise #affiliate #amazon #beginner #clickbank #hong #kong #member #newbie #seeking
  • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
    Welcome Allan.

    Whatever you decide I would suggest just testing a few things.

    A few big trends going on with Chinese purchasers is in Baby Milk Powder and trusted vitamin or health supplements fro Australia or New Zealand.

    Apart from business my wife who is Chinese sends "health related" products to relatives in Southern China all the time.

    Plus there a a ton of "pop-up" stores in Australia offering to ship products to China. They are all selling Baby formula and health supplements from "well-known" Ozi brands.

    Best regards,

    Ozi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10668778].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Allan Law
      Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

      Welcome Allan.

      Whatever you decide I would suggest just testing a few things.

      A few big trends going on with Chinese purchasers is in Baby Milk Powder and trusted vitamin or health supplements fro Australia or New Zealand.

      Apart from business my wife who is Chinese sends "health related" products to relatives in Southern China all the time.

      Plus there a a ton of "pop-up" stores in Australia offering to ship products to China. They are all selling Baby formula and health supplements from "well-known" Ozi brands.

      Best regards,

      Ozi
      Hi Ozi,
      Thanks for your comment. Yes, in China there is this almost unbelievably strong demand for quality milk powder and health supplements from Western countries. People would pay top dollars (or top rmb in this case) for quality products especially related to health to ensure they don't end up with poisonous fake products manufactured in China.
      However this is more of a brick and mortar business in my opinion, everyday there are literally thousands of smugglers buying the whole shelf of baby formula from superstores here in HK and bringing them back to China and selling for triple the price. And the import/export of this type of products is highly restricted by customs in many countries.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10668850].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ANDREIS
    Originally Posted by Allan Law View Post

    Business models that are currently in my mind:
    1. Amazon coupon affiliate site in local language (Cantonese)
    2. Amazon product review niche site/blog
    3. Clickbank

    For #2 and #3 I do believe they are more conventional and more resources/tutorials can be found online, however they don't quite fit my skills set since reviews and blog posts required more in-depth knowledge to the specific niche and better English (I'm not a native English speaker).
    Do you think that all those reviews of Amazon products are written by people who have in-depth knowledge to the specific niche??

    Amazon review sites can easily be created and there are ways to get content for those sites without you knowing too much about the products and topics that the review site is about. Affiliate marketing is about putting your links and offers in front of people who are interested in what you're offering in the first place. Your job is to send them to Amazon, once there they have all the reviews and info they need. Only with high price products you need to have somewhat more convincing content but even that can easily be created. I can also tell you that there are people who are making 1000 usd per month or more only by using videos and without even speaking english decently.

    Don't get me wrong, it is the best situation if you know english fluently and if you have in-depth knowledge about the products you have on your Amazon sites, but I'd say that 80% or more people are making money with Amazon without having almost any knowledge about what they're promoting. It sounds harsh, but in my experience it is the truth! If they can do it, so can you! Just a suggestion, focus on one single plan and work like a maniac for 3 months every single day! That's it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10668888].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Allan Law
      Originally Posted by ANDREIS View Post

      Do you think that all those reviews of Amazon products are written by people who have in-depth knowledge to the specific niche??

      Amazon review sites can easily be created and there are ways to get content for those sites without you knowing too much about the products and topics that the review site is about. Affiliate marketing is about putting your links and offers in front of people who are interested in what you're offering in the first place. Your job is to send them to Amazon, once there they have all the reviews and info they need. Only with high price products you need to have somewhat more convincing content but even that can easily be created. I can also tell you that there are people who are making 1000 usd per month or more only by using videos and without even speaking english decently.

      Don't get me wrong, it is the best situation if you know english fluently and if you have in-depth knowledge about the products you have on your Amazon sites, but I'd say that 80% or more people are making money with Amazon without having almost any knowledge about what they're promoting. It sounds harsh, but in my experience it is the truth! If they can do it, so can you! Just a suggestion, focus on one single plan and work like a maniac for 3 months every single day! That's it!
      Hi Andreis,

      Wow I'm really glad that I've posted my questions, that's exactly what I would not find out from elsewhere. Speaking of starting out to build my own site and list, I'm currently looking for some beginner guides for Phase 1 to get more inns and outs about this profession (same way I treat any other job/business). Would you mind to share or recommend a good place to start out? Thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10668985].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ANDREIS
        Originally Posted by Allan Law View Post

        Hi Andreis,

        Wow I'm really glad that I've posted my questions, that's exactly what I would not find out from elsewhere. Speaking of starting out to build my own site and list, I'm currently looking for some beginner guides for Phase 1 to get more inns and outs about this profession (same way I treat any other job/business). Would you mind to share or recommend a good place to start out? Thanks.
        OK, I'll send you private message
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10669032].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Apra Barua
    Your english isn't bad. It is not require to be a native english speaker to create good reviews. In my opinion, you can do very well in writing a review in english. I would suggest searching google for some sites that are based on that business model and by doing so you can have a better idea what to do and how to do it in your own style. Let me mention two sites based on that model which you can check out:
    1) Best Cookware: Reviews for All Clad, Calphalon, Kitchen Cookware Sets
    2) Mom's Stroller Reviews
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10669022].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Allan Law
      Originally Posted by Apra Barua View Post

      Your english isn't bad. It is not require to be a native english speaker to create good reviews. In my opinion, you can do very well in writing a review in english. I would suggest searching google for some sites that are based on that business model and by doing so you can have a better idea what to do and how to do it in your own style. Let me mention two sites based on that model which you can check out:
      1) Best Cookware: Reviews for All Clad, Calphalon, Kitchen Cookware Sets
      2) Mom's Stroller Reviews
      Hi Apra,

      Thanks for the references ! Will definitely have a good look from the links.
      So basically you are recommending a niche product site if I'm correct ? I'm still
      kind of stuck between choosing this or a coupon site (which definitely requires more work in the technical aspect).
      Anyhow I'm working on launching my first little one time campaign for starter and I feel like it's gonna be fun
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10669035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    Welcome aboard, Allan.

    I used to be an expat in Beijing and Hong Kong. Lived in the China World Trade Center, often stayed in the New World Harbour View. I have fond memories of both places, especially Christmas in Beijing (all that snow!), and eating a full English breakfast on the balcony of Harbour View, overlooking the harbour. Good times.

    Straight answer, Allan. No one here can help you. You'll get a lot of nice people doing their best to help, but the honest truth, all of them need a lot more information to be of any real help. Literally the best person in this thread, to give you actual help you can use, is a chap called Allan Law.

    Tell you why, he knows everything about Allan Law. He knows his passions, his skills, his experience, his knowledge, and in short, every last one of his IM strengths and weaknesses, all of which present entirely unique IM opportunities. I mean, sure, I could lay down thousands of business models (if I didn't have a pressing date with a cheese sandwich) but I'd be wasting your time, and passing up a nice cheese sandwich.

    The best advice I can offer? Start with a blog. Not a squeeze page or any other type of a model. A simple blog. You'll learn most of what you need to know to then go on and try different models. The squeeze setup, for instance? Deceptively complex. So! Learn how to setup a simple blog around one of your interests, learn how to monetize it (use contextual links, not banners), and learn how to grow traffic platforms (groups, communities, social accounts, subreddits), and learn how to send that traffic to your articles and figure out how to convert that traffic. Keep it simple.

    Good to see you here. All the best!

    - Tom
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10669031].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Allan Law
      Originally Posted by Tom Addams View Post

      Welcome aboard, Allan.

      I used to be an expat in Beijing and Hong Kong. Lived in the China World Trade Center, often stayed in the New World Harbour View. I have fond memories of both places, especially Christmas in Beijing (all that snow!), and eating a full English breakfast on the balcony of Harbour View, overlooking the harbour. Good times.

      Straight answer, Allan. No one here can help you. You'll get a lot of nice people doing their best to help, but the honest truth, all of them need a lot more information to be of any real help. Literally the best person in this thread, to give you actual help you can use, is a chap called Allan Law.

      Tell you why, he knows everything about Allan Law. He knows his passions, his skills, his experience, his knowledge, and in short, every last one of his IM strengths and weaknesses, all of which present entirely unique IM opportunities. I mean, sure, I could lay down thousands of business models (if I didn't have a pressing date with a cheese sandwich) but I'd be wasting your time, and passing up a nice cheese sandwich.

      The best advice I can offer? Start with a blog. Not a squeeze page or any other type of a model. A simple blog. You'll learn most of what you need to know to then go on and try different models. The squeeze setup, for instance? Deceptively complex. So! Learn how to setup a simple blog around one of your interests, learn how to monetize it (use contextual links, not banners), and learn how to grow traffic platforms (groups, communities, social accounts, subreddits), and learn how to send that traffic to your articles and figure out how to convert that traffic. Keep it simple.

      Good to see you here. All the best!

      - Tom
      Hi Tom,

      Thanks for your inspiring notes and I'm proud to be one of the warriors now! In contrast to what many others might think, Christmas in Beijing is certainly stunning and you'd thought they did not celebrate it at all.

      I agree with you and believe in long-term, to own a niche email list is a must. I'm just not sure whether i should be blogging in English or stick with my local language and target the audience in HK,Taiwan etc. The pros of the latter would be facing less competitions in many niches but there aren't many products to sell if people will be scared away with English written content.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10669062].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
        Originally Posted by Allan Law View Post

        Hi Tom,

        Thanks for your inspiring notes and I'm proud to be one of the warriors now! In contrast to what many others might think, Christmas in Beijing is certainly stunning and you'd thought they did not celebrate it at all.

        I agree with you and believe in long-term, to own a niche email list is a must. I'm just not sure whether i should be blogging in English or stick with my local language and target the audience in HK,Taiwan etc. The pros of the latter would be facing less competitions in many niches but there aren't many products to sell if people will be scared away with English written content.
        Glad to help.

        Stick to English. And only to make life easier, believe it or not. You'll find it easier when it comes to traffic and monetization. Far more avenues for both. But certainly consider the local market in the future; in fact, where I in your shoes, I may even set my long-term sights on local. I remember in telecommunications, the market was expanding at an astounding rate in your neck of the woods, not to mention the sheer SIZE of the market. So, yes. Long-term, go local. Make life easier for now and blog for western markets and return home with what you learn. Your writing is better than the average westerner, so you'll have no trouble there. Edit. If you do anything local, perhaps something aimed at tourists visiting where you live. Lots of competition in that blogsphere, but you may have the edge, coming from HK.

        - Tom
        Signature

        I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10669087].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Allan Law
          Originally Posted by Tom Addams View Post

          Glad to help.

          Stick to English. And only to make life easier, believe it or not. You'll find it easier when it comes to traffic and monetization. Far more avenues for both. But certainly consider the local market in the future; in fact, where I in your shoes, I may even set my long-term sights on local. I remember in telecommunications, the market was expanding at an astounding rate in your neck of the woods, not to mention the sheer SIZE of the market. So, yes. Long-term, go local. Make life easier for now and blog for western markets and return home with what you learn. Your writing is better than the average westerner, so you'll have no trouble there. Edit. If you do anything local, perhaps something aimed at tourists visiting where you live. Lots of competition in that blogsphere, but you may have the edge, coming from HK.

          - Tom
          That's a great point. After all why'd I make my life harder at the beginning and without any experience nor knowledge
          I should probably start out as simple as possible and build my skills in all the aspects in baby steps. One of my problem I see myself having is overthinking and it's time for me to get started !
          Hong Kong touring, I will put that on my list for sure, sounds like a really feasible niche if I could get some affiliates in the future.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10669143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    Also. Be wary of anyone sending you private messages.

    Now, sandwich - come to me, you sexy beast!

    - Tom
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10669036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    You should try the Clickbank route. The commissions there are high, sales pages are already done, they have recurring income programs (so you get paid over and over each month), and all you have to do is generate leads and lead them to your affiliate link (granted that you have good info before the offer page). Search the War Room for good ebooks about affiliate and clickbank marketing.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10669173].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author grandstar
    From what I know of Hong Kong, the majority speak Cantonese fluently but not English. Even Jackie Chan has difficulty speaking English.

    You'll have to see the IM not from the Hong Kong market but as a global market. Limiting it to Hong Kong is very limiting as the language of IM is English.

    If you were to target China, you'd have to focus on Mandarin speakers which you may not be fluent in.

    Start thinking global rather than Hong Kong and I believe then you'll strike gold
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10670567].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YourIMSpecialist
    I respectfully disagree with a few earlier posts. I would do some research on Clickbank for products in your language. Its much cheaper to buy traffic for languages other than english. And many affiliates are making good money promoting products in other languages because there is so little competition.
    You would have a major advantage over these affiliates, because you understand the language and how to communicate with the potential customers.
    hope this helps
    Signature

    The Goal is to get more leads and sales, and I want to help. Check out my FREE eBook: It's Raining Leads and Referrals. Take action and let me know about your results. To Your Success! Marsha D.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10670794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dackgia
    You can get information on internet, very information, you can reference
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10786516].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10786519].message }}

Trending Topics