Is money your why for joining network marketing?

37 replies
What is your Why and why are you doing network marketing?

If you answered money, I think we as network marketers need to dig deeper. Money is nice, but it is a self centered reason. This is not a good why. People can see through it too.

No one wants to be sold to, and no one wants to be pitched to. I think we can do this by building a rapport with others, being yourself and believing in yourself. You can do this by staying true to why you are doing this business in the first place. And it isn't money.

Network marketers love to help others. Every time you offer your opportunity, you are giving someone the chance to change her life in amazing ways. I think this is a wonderful reason why! We can make a difference in the world. We can radiate positivity and happiness to others. We can help others help themselves. Wow! How exciting!

What do you think?
#joining #marketing #money #network
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Originally Posted by rachaelgorbutt View Post

    Money is nice, but it is a self centered reason. This is not a good why.

    Rachael,

    Let me ask you this: would you continue to do network marketing if you never got paid? Would you do it because it's fun, or it's exciting, or it makes you feel good?

    Would you continue to promote products and services spending all your time in exchange for nothing?

    Since this is "employment" for most people, in other words, it feeds their families . . . I don't understand why you say money "is not a good why."

    I totally disagree with your thinking.

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10739695].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rachaelgorbutt
      Hello all who posted responses to my post. Thank you for your opinions both positive and negative.Yes, I do make money at what I am doing. Thank you for asking. And yes, I do think money is important.

      When you disagree with someone, I hope you aren't as harsh as you were above to my post in real life. It will turn your prospects away. Good luck to you!

      Best, Rachael
      Signature

      Rachael Gorbutt
      http://rachaelgorbutt.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740186].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author evanbang
        Originally Posted by rachaelgorbutt View Post

        Hello all who posted responses to my post. Thank you for your opinions both positive and negative.Yes, I do make money at what I am doing. Thank you for asking. And yes, I do think money is important.

        When you disagree with someone, I hope you aren't as harsh as you were above to my post in real life. It will turn your prospects away. Good luck to you!

        Best, Rachael
        I suppose that's the difference of marketing styles. We're all learning. At least I hope we all are in agreement on that note. ;-)
        Signature

        Affiliate Links are not allowed!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740203].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    why you are doing this business in the first place. And it isn't money.
    Yes, it is. If you are working online and don't care about making money - just tells me someone else pays your bills.

    You can join "network marketing" (a/k/a mlm) and have some kumbayuah moments - but if you don't start making money...how long will you keep working?
    Signature

    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.
    It takes nothing away from a human to be kind to an animal.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10739807].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gambino
    Spoken like someone who doesn't make any money online, in my opinion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10739815].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danieldesai
    Originally Posted by rachaelgorbutt View Post

    Money is nice, but it is a self centered reason. This is not a good why. People can see through it too.
    Money is what puts food on the table.

    Money is what puts your kids through school.

    Money is what you use to pay for healthcare.

    Money is therefore a necessity.

    (And yes, you need money even if you live in a mythical, Utopian, socialist world.)

    As for people seeing through your desire to earn money with your business...

    Congratulations, now they know that you have interests of your own, just like they do.

    Daniel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10739941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author evanbang
    Money is simply a tangible object that represents the value of a good or service. That object that we often place much emphasis on is simply just symbolic. I don't mean to get all zen on you, but if you think about it we are in it for much more than the money. We do it because we want to have what the large sums of money represent.

    Many people will tell you that they just want to be rich so they can provide well for their family (myself included), but you still have that itch at the end of the day where you feel like you need to be more, do more and give more.

    That's how I feel...I guess. ;-)
    Signature

    Affiliate Links are not allowed!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Money is nice, but it is a self centered reason. This is not a good why.
    why you are doing this business in the first place. And it isn't money.
    I think you set the tone. Perhaps unintentionally but it's something to consider.
    Signature

    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.
    It takes nothing away from a human to be kind to an animal.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    I don't know. At the end of the day this is a business, without money what's the point. With that being said, if money is the primary goal, I don't see know by helping people can't be a goal as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dana67
    Money is important. We all need to pay the bills. One part of your "Why" though should be loving what you do. That will keep you motivated and productive in the long run. Helping others succeed is very important too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740212].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
    I understand completely what Rachel is trying to say
    from a philosophical perspective. She just didn't explain
    it very well.

    Money, in and of itself, is almost never the reason people
    do anything. She's trying to get you to bore down to your core
    desires... the things you will get in exchange for the money... the
    things you really want.

    Very few people want to just sit on piles of money. After all, money
    is nothing but a tool. Money, itself, has little/no value until put to work
    for some other purpose.

    So... no... money isn't my goal... it's merely a means to an end.
    Signature
    If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740270].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author prsaputo
      Well said, Tsnyder! I do agree with what you said.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10742581].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Justin Lewis
    I like being sold to if someone has something that they can show will improve my life without being greedy or pushy about it.

    Selling to someone doesn't mean you have to shove it down someones throat.

    Oh and in reference to money, we're in "marketing" which refers directly to money itself. When I started online, the first thing I wanted to do was make an income from the internet with my first website. It made $0.23 and that $0.23 motivated the hell out of me. It's since then kept me in the game since 2010. 6 years, motivated off of $0.23.. yeah money definitely motivates people and it's fine that it does.
    Signature

    My name is Justin Lewis, with my Knoxville SEO company, Business Optimizer, I've been in business for 10 years online with multiple six figure years, here are the tools that have helped me the most: Increase your reviews with this free Review Handout

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740364].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author timtimshi
    I don't understand why you say money "is not a good why." yes!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740504].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author prsaputo
      Originally Posted by timtimshi View Post

      I don't understand why you say money "is not a good why." yes!
      I think what Rachel means ... is that, if your "why" is to help others ... then money will just follow. The way to make money is to help others solve their problems ... the more people you help ... the more money you make.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10741605].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prsaputo
    Yes, I completely agree with you, Rachel. I do believe that one will be more successful if you first help others ... then money will follow.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10741603].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SaiMontePerez
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10741682].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davntt
    Hi Rachael, I think money is one of the reasons besides some you mentioned above. When I do marketing, money is not all but it is of the most important factors pushing me forward (-:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10741782].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Profit Traveler
    I was in a book store and picked up a network marketing book..it was not taped shut so I dug in.

    This guy had one success after another in network marketing and I mean huge success. I noticed he kept taking his network with him to each new promotion and that really made the difference. But he was complaining sort of how once they started making the really big money the people at the top started to change the rules of the game and the product etc. Then at one point he was able to create his very own Network marketing company and he did the exact same thing..got rich and then bailed out for some reason or another.

    Anyway that was just one person and his story but I found it quite interesting.

    As I began the story...I was reading his BOOK. And he has a lot of them now. So that is a big hint to me that publishing is still king in the end.

    Art
    Signature
    MAKE MONEY DOING WHAT YOU ARE ALREADY DOING...

    SOCIAL MEDIA MONETIZATION ON STEROIDS

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10741970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Burritt
    Banned
    If there was no money in it all MLM would be nonprofits
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10741980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gallag97
    is it not the reason for most people?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10742413].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
      Originally Posted by Gallag97 View Post

      is it not the reason for most people?
      Not really... what they really want is what they can
      exchange for money. Very few people... there are some...
      are motivated to earn large sums of money just so they
      can look at it and count it all day.

      What they really want is food, shelter, clothing, transportation,
      time freedom, good education for their children, vacations, etc.

      What they want is what money will buy.
      Signature
      If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10742487].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Greg guitar
    Originally Posted by rachaelgorbutt View Post

    Money is nice, but it is a self centered reason. This is not a good why. People can see through it too.
    If someone is straightforward and honest, they won't mislead anyone into thinking money isn't at the very least, one of their main reasons for being in business, and most often, the number 1 reason, which is as it should be, since money is how we measure value, and we are able to function in society by using it to get what we want, for ourselves and/or others.

    People can 'see through [the money motive]"? Not if you don't hide it; there is nothing to see through; you are putting it on the table: "I am offering you this benefit, and I charge this for it." People like someone being straightforward. Lots of people, like you, attach a stigma to money, and get mealy mouthed when it comes to stating their prices, which comes off as unprofessional and like they have something to be ashamed of, like they don't believe in the monetary value of what they sell. It stops many sales cold, since people who feel your discomfort around money will not buy from you.

    It is professional to expect to be paid well if you provide a product/s and or service/s with a high value. To take pleasure and pride in the fact that what you do for money helps people, and to share that is great, but to pretend money is not your reason for being in business makes people uncomfortable because nobody believes it, and it makes you seem dishonest and unprofessional.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10742612].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
    Money is very important, because its the juice that makes the next project actually see the light of day.

    However, what goes around comes around. Yesterday for example I sat down with an older gentleman
    for breakfast on the beach to discuss his financial future. He just put 50k into the hospital bill of his son,
    that is a cronical addict of some substance, so he sent him off to some overseas clinic.

    Now this man is out of funds, and nobody is willing to help him except me. Over the next month I will make
    a business man out of this guy. He will make his first money online in a predictable and very short time.

    Why? Because that makes me happy. When I was ready to learn, it happened to me. Now its his turn.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10742742].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mb2590
    I think money is the root of why we want to get into Network Marketing. In fact a large amount of people find this industry attractive because of the money regardless of what product or service is being sold. The compensation plan is the biggest attention grabber and what sticks in most minds when presented opportunity. I dont think Networking or marketing is something people would do without getting paid. Even marketing companies pay they're employees. I think money is a pretty solid why.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Macklin
    Honestly I am with Network Marketing for earning a good amount of money. This is my first priority. And in another point, there is a room for learning, sharing ideas, know peoples concern and demand. So myself most interested for this reason.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743016].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    The reason people buy into MLM is because of a lot of hype and kumbaya rhetoric.

    Then they go try to spout that same rhetoric to experienced marketers and find their response "harsh."

    Just love everybody all around ya and clean up a little garbage on your way out and everything gonna be alright." ~ John B. Sebastian - Woodstock
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743664].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
      Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post

      The reason people buy into MLM is because of a lot of hype and kumbaya rhetoric.

      Then they go try to spout that same rhetoric to experienced marketers and find their response "harsh."

      Just love everybody all around ya and clean up a little garbage on your way out and everything gonna be alright." ~ John B. Sebastian - Woodstock
      I wonder what it is about human nature that compels a few
      people who know so little about a subject to comment on it as
      if they do...
      Signature
      If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10744593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rory Singh
    Originally Posted by rachaelgorbutt View Post

    What is your Why and why are you doing network marketing? If you answered money, I think we as network marketers need to dig deeper. Money is nice, but it is a self centered reason. This is not a good why.
    I see what you are trying to say...

    And yes you are right.

    Money is not a good enough reason.

    It's the reason behind the money.

    Your WHY (reason you really want to make that money...Improve the quality of your life, Freedom ETC).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10744260].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BradVert2013
    I'm in it for the money. I'm not running a charity. Yes, I do love writing, but I'm not going to write for free.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10744318].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author timtimshi
    I'm in it for the money. I'm not running a charity. Yes, I do love writing, but I'm not going to write for free. yes i do it!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10747386].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Happy Steve
    I am here for the money it is true, but I also want the time and freedom. I mean if money was all I cared about I could do a job and make money, but I would hate that.
    Signature
    The #1 online Jungle Music resource!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10747779].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author luvbuggal89
    I think my why's from greatest to least would fall in this order:

    1) Not having a boss barking orders at me over my shoulder lol

    2) Flexibility to work from home/office and choose my own hours

    3) Potential for high income would probably be third for me in this list
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748187].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ronnierokk
    Your biggest goal in any business is to help people solve their specific problems. Then as time goes by money will flow to you naturally.

    I'm not saying do everything for free, I'm saying that helping should be more of your focal point and people will naturally want to pay you to help them
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10750271].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author suretrillions
    The reason I joined network marketing is to make money and to learn better ways to relate with people and become a good communicator.

    Robert kiyosaki said little about it and how it guarantees wealth.

    The company I joined few weeks back is called www.helpinghandsinternational.biz and my sponsor id is:suretrillions
    You could review the site and give me a an advice if the company compensation plan is sustainable. I hope I did not voilate any rule of the forum. Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10773850].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gabrielrala
    Let's be hinest to ourselves, we will not join something if that doesn't give us a lot of benefit! and that benefit, is the commission! the second part is to share our blessings to others , and the end point that would be another commission! it goes round and round and it falls to money! just saying!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10773878].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nina Petrov
    Yes I agree to a point. If you can find your zen in it, that's amazing! It doesn't get better than than. But look at the career landscape. A vast majority of the people doing most anything are mainly in it to make money. Then there's all the starving artists right. ha ha. ;-) But if you can somehow make a difference doing it that's awesome. But there is one big challenge. That is namely that it's still a bit of a numbers game. Most companies comp plans are not exactly stellar. So regardless of what company you're doing you need any advantage you can find. So one advantage, you can look this up is MLMRC . That might be of some help. So will various forums. Because in my opinion it's better to not get caught up in the hype. The bottom line must make sense, so you're kids don't starve.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11101133].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sunndyr88
    Yes money is important.. but I'm here not just to make money. My goal is to live life on my own terms.. and thats the goal I am hunting.
    Signature
    7 WAYS TO BUILD A PROFITABLE YOUTUBE CHANNEL IN 2019
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11101169].message }}

Trending Topics