Best Way I Can Make Money from This Blog?

13 replies
I have launched a new website just this month, but when I started getting orders, I realized that PayPal scrapes a almost all of my earnings (considering I still have to pay my supplier a percentage of the amount paid to me by the buyer).

I know it's my bad because I have not thought about this before launching my site - but I learned my lesson.

Now I'm torn deciding between just focusing on the site's blog and monetizing through Amazon affiliates, or keep my store and just add products that are more expensive (because they will have bigger income margin).

As you can see, I haven't planned this well but I have to choose now.
if you want to see the site, here it is: Home -

All opinions would be appreciated.
#blog #make #money
  • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
    This is tough as Amazon is going to kick your buyers to amazon.

    One option though is if you were going to do a FBA and then you are able to list all of your products on Amazon as well.

    Would it make sense to up your prices slightly but give a special consideration for those who buy several items?

    Another possible option is to apply for the paypal micropayments:

    https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/micropayments

    But you might need to have a "10 and under" shop that is separate from your full pay shop.
    Signature

    "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748887].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author terinah14
      Originally Posted by Jill Carpenter View Post

      This is tough as Amazon is going to kick your buyers to amazon.

      One option though is if you were going to do a FBA and then you are able to list all of your products on Amazon as well.

      Would it make sense to up your prices slightly but give a special consideration for those who buy several items?

      Another possible option is to apply for the paypal micropayments:

      https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/micropayments

      But you might need to have a "10 and under" shop that is separate from your full pay shop.
      Thanks Jill! I am considering whole-saling the products that I am selling under $5 and giving discounts to those who are buying in bulk (depending on the total amount they have to pay.)

      As for Amazon FBA, I can't do that because I am drop-shipping these products... I was not aware of PayPal's micro-payments, I'll check that out.
      Signature

      askterinah.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10748927].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Yah777
    Hi there, why don't you just test the waters and add more products to your store, the products may cost more but set a reasonable time limit on profit without going broke that is. One thing about a least your making sales..just make adjustments. Hope this helps
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749007].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author terinah14
      Originally Posted by Yah777 View Post

      Hi there, why don't you just test the waters and add more products to your store, the products may cost more but set a reasonable time limit on profit without going broke that is. One thing about a least your making sales..just make adjustments. Hope this helps
      Hmn yeah that went through my mind as well. I probably need to choose the products I sell wisely.. Thanks!
      Signature

      askterinah.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749065].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrFume
    I would just expand your product range and source some good wholesale -to boost your profits, maybe sell an ebook about doing your nails, best methods, using natural products, expand into health and beauty as your traffic builds-once you have good traffic you can diversify. I like your site are you using the free version of this theme?
    Signature

    The whole basis of what we do as human beings is based on Communication, nothing would be possible otherwise. I work with communication, publishing on the Web, digital media.
    Digital Media for a Noisy World

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749156].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author terinah14
      Originally Posted by MrFume View Post

      I would just expand your product range and source some good wholesale -to boost your profits, maybe sell an ebook about doing your nails, best methods, using natural products, expand into health and beauty as your traffic builds-once you have good traffic you can diversify. I like your site are you using the free version of this theme?
      This is a good suggestion. I can actually use amazon affiliate for those eBooks ) Yeah I'm using the free version..
      Signature

      askterinah.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10750440].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    You have 2 choices, Terinah:
    • Find a better dropshipping deal.
    • Remake your site into a viral magazine.
    Either way will work well, and I must say you have a lovely site; excellent work.

    If I were in your shoes? Well, first of all my wife would be wondering why I was sat here in high heels. Second, I'd opt for the viral magazine. Dropshipping is too much like hard work.

    Nutshell:
    • Blog posts infused with viral potential.
    • Grow key socials: Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google-Plus.
    • Integrate (more heavily) asset building: newsletter, socials.
    • Likewise, social sharing functions, to encourage sharing response.
    • Monetize: research competitors for the best way to monetize.
    • When you have traffic, encourage user-submissions (important in 2016).
    I've helped a lady doing something similar (makeup). If you use the above as a spring board to your restructure, you should do very well. If you're comfortable in front of the camera (video and still), you'll have an even easier time of getting this to work. Best of luck. You have a lovely site there; just needs a little rework.

    - Tom
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749314].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author terinah14
      Originally Posted by Tom Addams View Post

      You have 2 choices, Terinah:
      • Find a better dropshipping deal.
      • Remake your site into a viral magazine.
      Either way will work well, and I must say you have a lovely site; excellent work.

      If I were in your shoes? Well, first of all my wife would be wondering why I was sat here in high heels. Second, I'd opt for the viral magazine. Dropshipping is too much like hard work.

      Nutshell:
      • Blog posts infused with viral potential.
      • Grow key socials: Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google-Plus.
      • Integrate (more heavily) asset building: newsletter, socials.
      • Likewise, social sharing functions, to encourage sharing response.
      • Monetize: research competitors for the best way to monetize.
      • When you have traffic, encourage user-submissions (important in 2016).
      I've helped a lady doing something similar (makeup). If you use the above as a spring board to your restructure, you should do very well. If you're comfortable in front of the camera (video and still), you'll have an even easier time of getting this to work. Best of luck. You have a lovely site there; just needs a little rework.

      - Tom
      Thanks, Tom! I like the viral magazine option, and I've tried it before - I don't know why it didn't work for me. I tried paying for Facebook ads, but my posts can't seem to go viral. I'm working hard on social media this time, and I get a few traffic from there.

      You said my site needs a little re-work. Can you tell me more about it? I'd love it to be perfect, but I'm not good at coding.
      Signature

      askterinah.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10750444].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    Originally Posted by terinah14 View Post

    I have launched a new website just this month, but when I started getting orders, I realized that PayPal scrapes a almost all of my earnings (considering I still have to pay my supplier a percentage of the amount paid to me by the buyer).

    .
    Paypal gets about 3% +/- which is what most processors get, so I do not see how they are "scraping" most of your earnings. These things have to be figured into your costs. You will pay more with Amazon or Ebay.

    Based on what you say you seem to be dropshipping, so why not try to negotiate a better deal with your supplier, that way you can cover your operational costs that way.

    al
    Signature
    The Flu? Not worthy of a mention here???
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749669].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author terinah14
      Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

      Paypal gets about 3% +/- which is what most processors get, so I do not see how they are "scraping" most of your earnings. These things have to be figured into your costs. You will pay more with Amazon or Ebay.

      Based on what you say you seem to be dropshipping, so why not try to negotiate a better deal with your supplier, that way you can cover your operational costs that way.

      al
      Sorry, I must have used a wrong term there - what you described is what I was pertaining to as scraping.. I can't think of another term... And yes, I already talked to my supplier about the cost, and she seems to be fine with it.
      Signature

      askterinah.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10750447].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Agreed on raising the prices.

    I know for a fact that a lot of online traffic does not do comparison shopping. Jack the price up +50%, run it like that over a large sample of traffic, take notes (Sales go up, down or stay the same?). Adjust the price as needed to tweak conversions on the 2nd batch of traffic. Repeat as needed..
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749683].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author terinah14
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      Agreed on raising the prices.

      I know for a fact that a lot of online traffic does not do comparison shopping. Jack the price up +50%, run it like that over a large sample of traffic, take notes (Sales go up, down or stay the same?). Adjust the price as needed to tweak conversions on the 2nd batch of traffic. Repeat as needed..
      Thank you. I was thinking of doing wholesale on products under $5 and I can actually do your suggestion with it.
      Signature

      askterinah.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10750452].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sven300
    1) I do not really understand how Paypal can take all your profits. PayPal rates are very competitive.

    2) Dropshipping is a lot of work. You could turn your blog into a "magazine" and earn income by CPA or affiliate programs.

    3) I love your website. My only suggestion would be to add a slogan that summarizes the mission of your site and attracts visitors.
    Signature
    I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Thomas Jefferson
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10749743].message }}

Trending Topics