Yep sadly from what I see online most affiliate marketers do it wrong. They try and copy everyone else and ride the gravy train, so to speak. Let me share with you some stuff I have learned over the years:
1) DIRECT LINKING:- Yes and no. Some people get lucky and can direct link for example to a CB product and do this all day long and make a lot of money. However, of course this worked many years ago, but today as we know customers are wiser!
Having a landing page & proven funnel set up is what needed. Yeah I know, most marketers will think this is easy but it's not. They might be happy with their 20% conversion rate, but I get annoyed at 55% conversion rates.
2) SELLING-DON'T SELL:- Of course to make money you need to sell, but you can't sell when your doing affiliate marketing. This type of make money online income requires you to build relationships.
The best way I find that I make the most money is simply just recommending something. For example, in my email follow up I have a case study where I take my list through 4 days of a campaign and show them sections and what to do. Then at the end I simply work in that I recommend product X and tell them how it would benefit them! IT WORKS!
3) DON'T GIVE UP:- Sadly most people make the mistake of giving up and then they get annoyed they have made no money. Just like any business, this will take time and work. It won't happen overnight, but money can and is being made.
4) MAKING MONEY RIGHT OFF THE BAT?:- A lot of marketers are worried to sell right off the bat but don't be. When you recommend a tripwire or low price offer after the customer signs up, you can re coup some of the advertising money and you have just created one of the most powerful things a connection & a small commitment!
5) CONSISTENCY! Just because your able to make a few sales on CB does not mean you have an affiliate empire. On the other hand earning $100 each day of the week is something that is consistent and shows you have a good funnel and blueprint in place
6) DOING WHAT OTHER WON'T! Too many marketers follow the herd and then they get lost. I market different, I market from unique angles and I attack my customers from a different angle. They get fed up of seeing the same stuff over and over!
7) STAYING WITH THE SAME PRODUCT DESPITE POOR CONVERSIONS! A lot of affiliates will make a huge mistake without even knowing it. If the product is not converting guys make sure to find another one or find a different niche. Of course you need to test first and really analyse your results, but what's the point of throwing mud at the wall if it doesn't stick?
8) USER INTENT? SAY WHAT....! Marketing for anything or any business online, you will need to know user intent and this is true with affiliate marketing also. You also need to match the message to market!. Do you really think the person who is looking for "DOG FOOD" wants "UNCLE BOB DOG TRAINING PDF?". NO, they want dog food.
9) COMPETITION IS BAD...! Competition my friends is good! It means the product is selling and there is money to made. But sadly most people see competition as a threat too bad smart marketers are taking all the money then. While your worried about competition, I'm finding the back door in so to speak. Long tail keywords with great intent behind them. I am also doing what your not in terms of my marketing angle
10) THE MONEY IS NOT ALWAYS IN THE MONEY NICHE: Did you know that the term bed bugs get searched over 300,000 times a month? And did you also know there is a top marketer that is making $50,000 a month as an affiliate for a bed bug product! There are tons of niches that can make a lot of money!!
11) THE NEEDS AND WANTS OF A CUSTOMER, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE! We all need sleep to survive but sometimes we only want 4 or 5 hours sleep. When you market you need to know the difference between what people want and what they need. They WANT a nice bikini to wear, but first they NEED to lose weight in order to achieve their goal see?
What are some of your struggles guys? As we go into the future affiliate marketing will get harder and harder!
Thanks for reading!