28 replies
Hi All,

I'm completely new to this industry but interested in a career change, working for myself and learning more about digital marketing consulting.So in essence researching, learning and creating a system that generates leads, conversions and sales for a niche that I can then implement and sell to clients for a monthly fee.

I've always been inspired by working for myself and leaving the 9-5 grind but I think my turning point to make action was when a colleague of mine quit his job because he was making more money consulting than his 9-5 job. So if you can't beat them, join them.

I'm at the very start of my journey so expect to be spending most of my time reading articles, learning about different marketing techniques, social media, analytics etc. Also testing different methods on my own website to see what works and to learn by trial and error.

I guess my main question is where do I start?I'm quite overwhelmed by all the info out there.I do have an idea of the sort of business model I want to sell (consulting) but unsure of the elements I need to put together to create a system that would generate leads that would be worth clients paying for.I'm not asking for people to tell me, I'm just not sure where to start or look or how many different areas would be involved.

As such does anyone think it's worth paying for fast track information that is being offered by people like Sam Ovens?$2k is a lot to fork out without knowing what you are getting.Has anyone paid for this type of information before from any online marketeer?Is it value for money?Does it get to the nuts and bolts of a working system or is it quite vague?

Thanks for any info or pointers.

Grizzly.
#start
  • Profile picture of the author michaelkoehler92
    Hi Grizzly!

    I recommend you start with promoting affiliate products using YouTube
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852130].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author grizzlylar
      Originally Posted by michaelkoehler92 View Post

      Hi Grizzly!

      I recommend you start with promoting affiliate products using YouTube

      Hi michaelkoehler92,


      Thanks for your reply but that is not the business model I want to pursue. I want to charge clients a monthly consultancy fee to generate leads/sales via digital marketing.


      Regards,

      Grizzly
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852156].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RogozRazvan
    The fastest path from A to B is to find someone who is already there and working for him / her. In other words, find a mentor (not a coach), someone who is at the level you want to be in 3 - 5 years. Offer your skills as a researcher, VA, marketer, writer, whatever you can do for him (and you want to improve). Do it at a minimum rate but high enough so that person respects you. Don't do it for free, people rarely appreciate and invest in free assets.

    You'll learn more about the marketplace and about the business model than through studying 10 courses. Plus, you will spend a minimum amount of money and actually get paid to learn.

    Where do you find him or her?

    Search online and here, on WF.
    Make a list including email and phone number.
    Start calling and pitching yourself.

    Eventually someone will say yes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
    I have been generating leads for 18 years online. There is an easier path that you can start with.

    You can sign up to CPA networks and promote existing PPL (pay per lead) offers, Also called CPL (cost per lead). This way you don't have to develop the offer and find buyers for the leads. All you have to do is send traffic to the offer.

    If your not capable of driving traffic, then I would go ahead and develop your own offer, optimize it, get buyers for the leads and affiliates to promote it. When I first started there were no CPA networks and always had to develop my own offers.

    I still did this on and off after I started getting offers through CPA networks, but I never got affiliates. HUGE MISTAKE! If you can develop an offer and get it to convert well, it's not hard to get top affiliates and is the way to go.

    Charging clients monthly sucks, you want to charge them per lead and get paid weekly. Or are you talking about doing local leads? I have no experience with local leads. Everything I do is large markets / nationwide.
    Signature
    How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
    19 Years Exp . . . . . . . . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852192].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author grizzlylar
      Originally Posted by DIABL0 View Post

      I have been generating leads for 18 years online. There is an easier path that you can start with.

      You can sign up to CPA networks and promote existing PPL (pay per lead) offers, Also called CPL (cost per lead). This way you don't have to develop the offer and find buyers for the leads. All you have to do is send traffic to the offer.

      If your not capable of driving traffic, then I would go ahead and develop your own offer, optimize it, get buyers for the leads and affiliates to promote it. When I first started there were no CPA networks and always had to develop my own offers.

      I still did this on and off after I started getting offers through CPA networks, but I never got affiliates. HUGE MISTAKE! If you can develop an offer and get it to convert well, it's not hard to get top affiliates and is the way to go.

      Charging clients monthly sucks, you want to charge them per lead and get paid weekly. Or are you talking about doing local leads? I have no experience with local leads. Everything I do is large markets / nationwide.

      Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your advice from your experience in this field. I would need to go away and research those options to a) understand them fully and b) see if they would be relevant to my model.

      My model is to generate revenue from monthly consultancy fees so it wouldn't be revenue from selling pages of leads or generating traffic to offers as such. Or as others have mentioned, affiliates. Although it may at some point crossover and involve an element of this.

      My model is to increase customer acquisition for a business within a niche market. So I target businesses within my chosen niche who want to increase their sales. They become a client of mine and I become their consultant.

      I then create a system to increase their customer acquisition and sales. This would involve some type of funnel and multiple channels working together eg. landing page, setting up social media accounts, targeted facebook Ads, email marketing etc.

      I would be judged by my clients on their ROI but by targeting high value products and getting a system that works it should be a win win.

      I prefer this model because I can concentrate on becoming an expert in my niche and it would only take a small number of clients for me to quit my 9-5 job. The limits are endless and by targeting high value niche markets it may only take one conversion per month for my client to get a good ROI. Also thinking of stocks and shares, who is it that walks away with the money regardless of how the stock performs, it’s always the stockbroker not the investor.

      So it’s just getting a system together that works that I need to hone in on.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852362].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
        Originally Posted by grizzlylar View Post

        Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your advice from your experience in this field. I would need to go away and research those options to a) understand them fully and b) see if they would be relevant to my model.

        My model is to generate revenue from monthly consultancy fees so it wouldn't be revenue from selling pages of leads or generating traffic to offers as such. Or as others have mentioned, affiliates. Although it may at some point crossover and involve an element of this.

        My model is to increase customer acquisition for a business within a niche market. So I target businesses within my chosen niche who want to increase their sales. They become a client of mine and I become their consultant.

        I then create a system to increase their customer acquisition and sales. This would involve some type of funnel and multiple channels working together eg. landing page, setting up social media accounts, targeted facebook Ads, email marketing etc.

        I would be judged by my clients on their ROI but by targeting high value products and getting a system that works it should be a win win.

        I prefer this model because I can concentrate on becoming an expert in my niche and it would only take a small number of clients for me to quit my 9-5 job. The limits are endless and by targeting high value niche markets it may only take one conversion per month for my client to get a good ROI. Also thinking of stocks and shares, who is it that walks away with the money regardless of how the stock performs, it's always the stockbroker not the investor.

        So it's just getting a system together that works that I need to hone in on.


        So what they pay you is based on your performance or you expect them to pay you a month fee, even though you have no experience?
        Signature
        How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
        19 Years Exp . . . . . . . . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852426].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author grizzlylar
          Originally Posted by DIABL0 View Post

          So what they pay you is based on your performance or you expect them to pay you a month fee, even though you have no experience?

          Once I know what I'm doing, have experience and a system in place that I'm confident in I would charge a flat rate $x per month.


          It would be up to my clients, based on the number sales they get from me, whether it's worth continuing to pay me. By targeting a high value niche it may only need one or two sales per month per client to make it work.


          A colleague of mine recently quit where I work. He made 5 clients and no longer needed to come to work. I didn't want to drill him for too much info but thought if he's willing to put his money where his mouth is and quit a reasonably high paying job then there must be something in it.


          The more I research about it the more it interests me as a viable method for starting a business. The key seems to be getting a system that works and automating it.


          But as I say I'm new to this and know nothing so it's all a learning curve right now.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852461].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Ken Leatherman
            Originally Posted by grizzlylar View Post

            Once I know what I'm doing, have experience and a system in place that I'm confident in I would charge a flat rate per month.


            It would be up to my clients, based on the number sales they get from me, whether it's worth continuing to pay me. By targeting a high value niche it may only need one or two sales per month per client to make it work.


            A colleague of mine recently quit where I work. He made 5 clients and no longer needed to come to work. I didn't want to drill him for too much info but thought if he's willing to put his money where his mouth is and quit a reasonably high paying job then there must be something in it.


            The more I research about it the more it interests me as a viable method for starting a business. The key seems to be getting a system that works and automating it.


            But as I say I'm new to this and know nothing so it's all a learning curve right now.
            Hey grizzlylar,

            I believe you may want to reconsider your decision not to talk to your colleague:
            A colleague of mine recently quit where I work. He made 5 clients and no longer needed to come to work. I didn't want to drill him for too much info but thought if he's willing to put his money where his mouth is and quit a reasonably high paying job then there must be something in it.
            He may well be able to save you tons of time and money in starting your own consulting business. Think along the terms of him mentoring you or a joint venture together.

            Make sure you take copious notes of your steps and results. By doing so you could have another stream of income by writing an e-book, blog or even a hard
            back business book. Wouldn't that be something?

            Go back and talk to your colleague.

            Ken

            The Old Geezer
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852556].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author grizzlylar
              Originally Posted by Ken Leatherman View Post

              Hey grizzlylar,

              I believe you may want to reconsider your decision not to talk to your colleague:

              He may well be able to save you tons of time and money in starting your own consulting business. Think along the terms of him mentoring you or a joint venture together.

              Make sure you take copious notes of your steps and results. By doing so you could have another stream of income by writing an e-book, blog or even a hard
              back business book. Wouldn't that be something?

              Go back and talk to your colleague.

              Ken

              The Old Geezer

              Ken,


              He's left the company. I did probe, ask questions and take notes when I had the opportunity but I'm not one to expect full disclosure of someone's hard work so to speak. I sensed he didn't want to give everything away so respected that. I have an idea of the general model - it's just the nuts and bolts of the system I don't have full details of.


              I think there are quite a few people doing this and assume everyone has there own techniques. I just need to learn and find out for myself, sometimes that's the best way.


              Grizzly
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852636].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EPoltrack77
    Start with learning how to research! Use the search feature in this forum as well as google and youtube to find content to educate yourself on and why you make money online.
    Signature
    Free Video Training Sharing The Steps To Succeed With Affiliate Marketing.
    Get Access At www.cbaffiliatecareer.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852217].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
    " I need to put together to create a system that would generate leads that would be worth clients paying for"

    well, this one can be really simple, if you can identify what kind of leads you want.

    then its just a matter of advertising or co-reg ads, and you can start by generating
    these for 50 cents each and sell them for a few bucks each, depending on the niche.

    So you need to research lead prices per niches first, I will tell you how to generate them.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852340].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author grizzlylar
      Originally Posted by George Schwab View Post

      " I need to put together to create a system that would generate leads that would be worth clients paying for"

      well, this one can be really simple, if you can identify what kind of leads you want.

      then its just a matter of advertising or co-reg ads, and you can start by generating
      these for 50 cents each and sell them for a few bucks each, depending on the niche.

      So you need to research lead prices per niches first, I will tell you how to generate them.

      Thanks for your reply George. I have not heard of co reg ads before now and just googled to read up so thanks for the tip. Seems like a good way of piggy backing on existing website traffic to develop a mailing list.


      Although I would not be looking to generate leads and sell them on as leads for a profit, but I would be interested in generating leads and referring them to my clients with the hope of converting.


      I'll have a look at lead prices per niche. Are there any websites I can check out on how to generate leads?


      Thanks,

      Grizzly
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852381].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
        Originally Posted by grizzlylar View Post

        Thanks for your reply George. I have not heard of co reg ads before now and just googled to read up so thanks for the tip. Seems like a good way of piggy backing on existing website traffic to develop a mailing list.


        Although I would not be looking to generate leads and sell them on as leads for a profit, but I would be interested in generating leads and referring them to my clients with the hope of converting.


        I'll have a look at lead prices per niche. Are there any websites I can check out on how to generate leads?


        Thanks,

        Grizzly
        sure, just search for lead sellers, and co-regs services

        lead sellers you have to ask them how they generate these exactly
        the best are real time leads, others are cheaper [the older they get]

        highest quality leads are the ones that are generated specifically for you
        based on ads you give them.

        The whole consultation question really boils down to: Leads are just another
        service you buy from professionals and you sell to some 'soon-to-be-professionals'
        that are professional in their own market, just dont know or have the time to do the
        lead generation stuff.

        The only experience you need is really how to write these ads that bring in
        specific kind of leads. So you need to learn ad-writing for specific markets,
        otherwise you get untargeted leads - that will make your clients unhappy and
        not renew your contract. Also the best leads come at a price per lead rate,
        so you cannot set that up as a monthly unlimited fix price service.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10853977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TransmitVision
    Good to hear that you're making the switch!
    I have also come to realize the value in working for yourself and the benefits that it brings to your life.
    Your are going about it the right way when it comes to seeking out information. I think that you should definitely find people that have proven results already and start off with duplicating them in your own way. Build your brand and gain awareness..Along with that, emails are very important so try your best to generate subscriptions and work at building trust with those who subscribe to you.

    Good Luck!


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852387].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    It depends entirely upon what your objectives are.



    What is it that you intend on accomplishing?

    I think the coolest avenue, is to create your own blog, and to build a following that way.

    You can then use every other social media platform, to supplement your main central hub, which is your blog.

    This is just my two cents, and I wish you the best in any event.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852584].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author grizzlylar
      Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post

      It depends entirely upon what your objectives are.



      What is it that you intend on accomplishing?

      I think the coolest avenue, is to create your own blog, and to build a following that way.

      You can then use every other social media platform, to supplement your main central hub, which is your blog.

      This is just my two cents, and I wish you the best in any event.

      Ultimately working for myself in a business that makes a lot of money using just a laptop and an internet connection. One where I can work anywhere in the world at a time I choose. Rise and fall by my own success and failure.


      I'm not averse to work by any means but once a proven system is setup and automated or I have a script to follow for each client I'd expect a 3-4hr day for at least 4 x the salary I am on now as a 9-5er doing a 40hr week. The model is only limited by the number of clients that sign up. You can use the same funnel marketing used to generate client sales to attract those clients to your business.


      I think the blog comes at the end once you have been successful and decide to sell your secrets and make more revenue.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852633].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
        Originally Posted by grizzlylar View Post

        Ultimately working for myself in a business that makes a lot of money using just a laptop and an internet connection. One where I can work anywhere in the world at a time I choose. Rise and fall by my own success and failure.


        I'm not averse to work by any means but once a proven system is setup and automated or I have a script to follow for each client I'd expect a 3-4hr day for at least 4 x the salary I am on now as a 9-5er doing a 40hr week. The model is only limited by the number of clients that sign up. You can use the same funnel marketing used to generate client sales to attract those clients to your business.


        I think the blog comes at the end once you have been successful and decide to sell your secrets and make more revenue.
        Why not start blogging about your aspirations, dreams, visions, roadblocks, and overall experiences?

        Blogging isn't reserved exclusively for the gurus, you know.

        There are people who might find your journey fascinating. Just be yourself.

        ;]

        Wishing you the best, regardless of where your road takes you.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852810].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author grizzlylar
          Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post

          Why not start blogging about your aspirations, dreams, visions, roadblocks, and overall experiences?

          Blogging isn't reserved exclusively for the gurus, you know.

          There are people who might find your journey fascinating. Just be yourself.

          ;]

          Wishing you the best, regardless of where your road takes you.

          Yeah that's true I guess, thanks. A day to day blog from start to success and everything in between would be an invaluable asset to either sell or generate traffic. Although if I'm pitching myself as a consultant to clients I wouldn't want to expose my inexperience through my blog so maybe something to run incognito until it's successful.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10853229].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Originally Posted by grizzlylar View Post

    I guess my main question is where do I start?I'm quite overwhelmed by all the info out there.I do have an idea of the sort of business model I want to sell (consulting) but unsure of the elements I need to put together to create a system that would generate leads that would be worth clients paying for.I'm not asking for people to tell me, I'm just not sure where to start or look or how many different areas would be involved.
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I don't think anyone should set themselves up as a consultant until they've had extensive experience and success in the area in which they intend to consult.

    So by all means, keep reading and experimenting. Perhaps taking a course can help to flatten the learning curve. But before offering your services as a digital marketer, be sure you can demonstrate a record of success in that field.
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852616].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author grizzlylar
      Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

      Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I don't think anyone should set themselves up as a consultant until they've had extensive experience and success in the area in which they intend to consult.

      So by all means, keep reading and experimenting. Perhaps taking a course can help to flatten the learning curve. But before offering your services as a digital marketer, be sure you can demonstrate a record of success in that field.

      Frank, I agree. I want to have pride in my work and aim to be the best I can at what I do.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lhlouiscom
    By building an audience on the internet and endorsing products that change people life is how you getting started.

    The risk of this part is understanding what generate an income and always avoid purchasing products claiming how much they make... the sad part is they'll help you come up a new weird strategy.

    -Louis
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852800].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author huester
    sell what you know
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Net66
    You could do some Internet Marketing to get you started with making the money on the interweb. I know a man who did that and he made an income fairly quickly by simply doing some internet marketing online.
    Another good idea is to look at how other people are successfully doing internet marketing online and mirror what they do in their internet marketing efforts.

    I hope this helps

    Andy
    Signature
    What I do - And How I do it. My Personal Blog...
    http://AndyBrocklehurst.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author huester
    wait I will give you the information for free

    Let me google that for you

    Enjoy!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852825].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aizaku
    build a list in an evergreen niche...


    ...that's it!


    if you want weekly free training then i recommend you sign up for mark ling's membership site and that you listen to pat flynn's podcast:

    Podcasts Archive - The Smart Passive Income Blog

    https://www.affilorama.com/

    best of luck
    Ike Paz
    Signature
    >> 2018 Money Making Method Video Guides [NO OPTIN] <<
    80% Of These Proven Guides Are Free... ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852972].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author grizzlylar
      Originally Posted by aizaku View Post

      build a list in an evergreen niche...


      ...that's it!


      if you want weekly free training then i recommend you sign up for mark ling's membership site and that you listen to pat flynn's podcast:

      Podcasts Archive - The Smart Passive Income Blog

      https://www.affilorama.com/

      best of luck
      Ike Paz


      Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to checkout those podcasts. What I'm really finding useful is brainstorming of all the marketing buzzwords I'm coming across that are likely to influence my system. I'm finding it useful to just write them down then learn about them. Helps with seeing the wood through the trees. Evergreen niche is one of them now so thanks : )
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10853236].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WarriorWasim
    Hello, Welcome to the Internet Marketing World.

    #1- Don't buy everything you see in the market.
    #2- At first take decision about your niche
    #3 - Buy a domin and hosting
    #4 - Install wordpress
    #5 - Set up the basic pages a website needs
    #6- Write good and quality content
    #7 - Invest in self development. See if there is a good wso or product that can accelerate your marketing effort.
    #8- Get started with autoresponder
    #9- Build a list
    #10- Take care of your subscribers
    #11- Promote good offers
    #12 - Give back to the community,
    #13 - Rinse and repeat.

    Thanks :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10853617].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author metabel
    Hi Grizzly, how are you doing? All I can say is two-three months ago, I was where you are at. I kind of tried to figure it out by myself and got really overwhelmed by the amount of NEW information that i had to take in. I realized then that I needed help and started looking for it.

    I found one and it started with this Free Training and I am still learning the know how STEP BY STEP.

    I wish you all the success in your nitch.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10853942].message }}

Trending Topics