Did mentorship work for you?

52 replies
My fellow Warriors,

I was coached by a "guru" back in 2015.

I was not a newbie, but I wasn't successful either.

I was an in-between-er and the "Shiny Object Syndrome"
was strong with this one lol.

In my experience, I found that getting coaching from this
guru was NOT what I needed.

At the time (this is embarrassing)...I didn't know what a
designer did, was confused about what landing/squeeze
pages were (the terminology confused the sh*t out of me).

Basically, I was all over the place.

To make matters worse, it was a big coaching class that
met once a week and was a webinar-style class where
you raised your hand and had to sit through everyone's
questions until you were finally addressed.

I came to hate this.

What was your experience like?

Did it work well for you?

Was it different/similar?

I'd love to hear what youz guyz have to say about this.

Thanks!

-Phillip Lopez
#coaching #coaching class #guru #mentorship #work
  • Profile picture of the author Gary Pettit
    I think having a mentor is a good idea if you have the right one that genuinely cares about getting you from point A to point B. However, unfortunately there are a lot of group mentors who overload webinars like the one your speaking of and you just as well watch training videos off youtube.

    Your best bet would be one to one coaching after doing some research. However, this can be VERY espensive. You might already have whats necessary within in you (knowledge wise) but just need to focus better and do away with shinny object syndrome

    This was one of the biggest hurtles for me!

    Gary
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10881416].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by Gary Pettit View Post

      I think having a mentor is a good idea if you have the right one that genuinely cares about getting you from point A to point B. However, unfortunately there are a lot of group mentors who overload webinars like the one your speaking of and you just as well watch training videos off youtube.

      Your best bet would be one to one coaching after doing some research. However, this can be VERY espensive. You might already have whats necessary within in you (knowledge wise) but just need to focus better and do away with shinny object syndrome

      This was one of the biggest hurtles for me!

      Gary
      Yeah Gary. I remember being SUPER excited about my coaching...

      At first.

      That excitement went away after I said to myself..."This is what I
      paid for? To be in a crowded classroom?!"

      Oy.

      Oh well...this is how we learn!

      Lol.

      Thanks for the input man.

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aizaku
    i had a one on one coach before-just a quick lesson on how to lose money

    that being said, ive read that others have had good experiences..

    i finally got the ball rolling on my own

    but that was due to consistency and dropping what didnt work for me.

    -Ike Paz
    Signature
    >> 2018 Money Making Method Video Guides [NO OPTIN] <<
    80% Of These Proven Guides Are Free... ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10881695].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by aizaku View Post

      i had a one on one coach before-just a quick lesson on how to lose money

      that being said, ive read that others have had good experiences..

      i finally got the ball rolling on my own

      but that was due to consistency and dropping what didnt work for me.

      -Ike Paz
      Aizaku...What exactly went wrong with it if you don't mind
      me asking?

      I'm just curious and doing a little research.

      Thanks for the input man.

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882687].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author aizaku
        followed his steps to the 'T'

        but no profit.

        in retrospect, the model i use now to profit online is the same as he preached and as everyone else preaches:

        find a niche

        drive target traffic to squeeze page, sell on thank you page oto.. send email series, provide value and sell related products..

        test and track


        i knew that going in and i knew that going out.. that being said, you need to test, track and use paid ads.

        those were the pieces i was missing..

        -Ike Paz

        again, it depends on the mentor. best of luck to you

        side note: also i was really good at ranking posts before panda and penguin, i had a profitable stroller amazon review site. That initial success was a curse and a blessing.. a blessing because i KNEW i could make money online.

        it was a curse because it took years before i tried paid traffic and I was ALWAYS looking for the next free traffic source. Plus, I was always trying to please Google with my content.

        Originally Posted by chooseyourself View Post

        Aizaku...What exactly went wrong with it if you don't mind
        me asking?

        I'm just curious and doing a little research.

        Thanks for the input man.

        -Phil
        Signature
        >> 2018 Money Making Method Video Guides [NO OPTIN] <<
        80% Of These Proven Guides Are Free... ]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882694].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author William2010
    Depends on the mentor..My best decision i made was almost 3 years go when i decided to get a mentor..Never looked back since then..It depends..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882021].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by William2010 View Post

      Depends on the mentor..My best decision i made was almost 3 years go when i decided to get a mentor..Never looked back since then..It depends..
      William,

      That's awesome man.

      What is it you like about the coaching you're getting?

      I don't mean specifics on the training, but is it 1 on 1?

      Do you get coached in person or on Skype?

      Just wondering.

      Thanks man.

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882688].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chadcf
      Originally Posted by William2010 View Post

      Depends on the mentor..My best decision i made was almost 3 years go when i decided to get a mentor..Never looked back since then..It depends..
      Having a mentor is an interesting idea to me. Where can we get a mentor?
      Signature

      Sale business baby.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885437].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
        Originally Posted by chadcf View Post

        Having a mentor is an interesting idea to me. Where can we get a mentor?
        Chadcf, what is your status?

        Are you completely new online or been at this for months/years
        and been struggling?

        -Phil
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10886429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brainster
    I honestly believe its like anything else, it really depends on the mentor.
    Me myself got ripped off countless times.

    I then broke up with my partner and moved out of the family home.
    This was the BEST thing to happen to me.
    I now earn enough money to live comfortably and work only a few hours everyday.
    This was self taught. Independently by myself for myself.
    HOWEVER I know people who have been mentored and it has taught them priceless lessons.

    I believe being successful is more about just the business, its about who you are as a person.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882100].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

      I honestly believe its like anything else, it really depends on the mentor.
      Me myself got ripped off countless times.

      I then broke up with my partner and moved out of the family home.
      This was the BEST thing to happen to me.
      I now earn enough money to live comfortably and work only a few hours everyday.
      This was self taught. Independently by myself for myself.
      HOWEVER I know people who have been mentored and it has taught them priceless lessons.

      I believe being successful is more about just the business, its about who you are as a person.
      Hey Brainster, that's a bummer!

      I guess something good came out of it though right?

      How do you believe you were ripped off?

      Did they just take your money and not help?

      Elaborate if you don't mind.

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882689].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mozzmorr
        Hi,

        Just so you guys know Brainster took £1000 off me and never spoke to me ever again. Called from a withheld number and never emailed me back reading numerous emails! The guys a lier and more importantly a crook! Just so you guys know! Stay away! P
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11076827].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Edwin Torres
    The way I see it paying for a coach gives you accountability and helps fast-track your results. Usually you'll have to pay a good sum of money to get them, so you're more motivated to get your moneys worth and actually "do the work". And they can help you not make common mistakes other people seem to make.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882181].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by Edwin Torres View Post

      The way I see it paying for a coach gives you accountability and helps fast-track your results. Usually you'll have to pay a good sum of money to get them, so you're more motivated to get your moneys worth and actually "do the work". And they can help you not make common mistakes other people seem to make.
      Edwin, it's weird how that works right?

      It almost seems like sometimes you know what to do but...

      Without that mentor, you get sidetracked!

      Yeah man, it's good to have them push you lol. They're like
      you're internet marketing personal trainer hahaha!

      Hmm...wouldn't that be a funny/cool coaching program?

      You mentor people like a drill sergeant or a super pumped
      up/hyped up personal trainer like in Dodgeball lol.

      Hee hee.

      Thanks for the input bro.

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882691].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Edwin Torres
        Originally Posted by chooseyourself View Post

        Edwin, it's weird how that works right?

        It almost seems like sometimes you know what to do but...

        Without that mentor, you get sidetracked!

        Yeah man, it's good to have them push you lol. They're like
        you're internet marketing personal trainer hahaha!

        Hmm...wouldn't that be a funny/cool coaching program?

        You mentor people like a drill sergeant or a super pumped
        up/hyped up personal trainer like in Dodgeball lol.

        Hee hee.

        Thanks for the input bro.

        -Phil
        Couldn't agree any more

        For example today I paid a couple hundred bucks for a coaching program from two badasses in this space. I quickly scrolled through some of the training videos they had in the members area and it's stuff I'm aware of but just wasnt doing.

        So I personally believe people KNOW enough. They know MORE THAN ENOUGH. It's just having a mentor or coach helps you put all the pieces together and actually make money.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10886842].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
          Originally Posted by Edwin Torres View Post

          Couldn't agree any more

          For example today I paid a couple hundred bucks for a coaching program from two badasses in this space. I quickly scrolled through some of the training videos they had in the members area and it's stuff I'm aware of but just wasnt doing.

          So I personally believe people KNOW enough. They know MORE THAN ENOUGH. It's just having a mentor or coach helps you put all the pieces together and actually make money.
          I hear you man, it's just a matter of time before you're like:

          "Wait, I paid ____ dollars for this?! I know this already and can teach this!"

          But yes, it's not just the knowledge.

          Mentors can keep you in check when you know you're BS-ing.

          That happened to me the other day.

          I SHOULD be writing the copy on my sales page.

          I SHOULD be connecting with my subscribers/clients.

          But it's very easy to go on FB and have to make witty comments.

          OR look at cat videos.

          I got caught up with the Presidential debate last night.

          I swear it's like a Pay Per View event now lol, very entertaining at
          times though.

          Anyhow, thanks for the letters and the words lol.

          -Phil
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10887505].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    Like anything else there are good mentors and bad ones. There are also good students and bad ones. Having a mentor doesn't guarentee success but will increase your odds.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882214].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by ChrisBa View Post

      Like anything else there are good mentors and bad ones. There are also good students and bad ones. Having a mentor doesn't guarentee success but will increase your odds.
      I agree ChrisBa.

      It certainly does not!

      And yes, that goes both ways man.

      I tell you there's some people out there that think they don't have
      to lift a finger to get things going!

      Oy...

      Brutal man.

      Thanks for bringing that up man, it's a damn fine point!

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882692].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
    I had more of an informal mentor during the time I was starting up my business and ramping up the client base.

    I can't stand the idea of a class room situation and putting up my hand to ask a question, call me old school but I am not a fan of the old teacher/student scenario - I think I am too old and cranky for that.

    I would a fantastic colleague who was successful, motivated and happy and about 15 years ahead of me in the whole business side of things and had a series of informal catch ups and worked through a few issues I was having with her which helped me a great deal.

    As you work through, you might find you need a series of different individuals mentors to suit the stage you are working in.

    I once had a meeting with a 'business coach' and he basically proposed I pay him a few grand a month so he could help our business grow, however he wasn't willing to offer any tangible deliverables or any firm confirmation of what he was going to do to help me and it felt like he was asking a massive amount of $$ with nothing much in return.

    I've made heaps of mistakes and I've probably gone about them slowly however I think surrounding yourself with a few experienced colleagues who are happy to be a sounding board and help you now and again is just as valuable as a 'coach' or 'trainer' scenario.

    Just my two cents worth.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882788].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by gingerninjas View Post

      I had more of an informal mentor during the time I was starting up my business and ramping up the client base.

      I can't stand the idea of a class room situation and putting up my hand to ask a question, call me old school but I am not a fan of the old teacher/student scenario - I think I am too old and cranky for that.

      I would a fantastic colleague who was successful, motivated and happy and about 15 years ahead of me in the whole business side of things and had a series of informal catch ups and worked through a few issues I was having with her which helped me a great deal.

      As you work through, you might find you need a series of different individuals mentors to suit the stage you are working in.

      I once had a meeting with a 'business coach' and he basically proposed I pay him a few grand a month so he could help our business grow, however he wasn't willing to offer any tangible deliverables or any firm confirmation of what he was going to do to help me and it felt like he was asking a massive amount of $$ with nothing much in return.

      I've made heaps of mistakes and I've probably gone about them slowly however I think surrounding yourself with a few experienced colleagues who are happy to be a sounding board and help you now and again is just as valuable as a 'coach' or 'trainer' scenario.

      Just my two cents worth.
      First of all, Ginger Ninjas is a crazy funny name.

      1,000,000 gold stars for that lol.

      I hear you on not hiring someone that is vague as to how they're
      gonna be helping you.

      Man I was new and struggling and I fell for the bait for the big
      class.

      I think people should have 1 on 1 coaching if they're new because
      I think that's a way to be held accountable and not be silent in a
      crowd of people.

      It's easy to go back to the "I'll just sit in the back of the room" kinda
      mentality I think.

      Thank you for adding to the conversation!

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10883282].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sanjon
    I had a one on one training with a android apps coach recently and it was one of the best decisions for me. I suffered the same shiny object syndrome and have downloaded tons of products claiming I can make thousands easily but most of them were crap.
    Mentorship can certainly work , it just require doing your own research to find out the perfect coach and ur way of earning money.
    I was always interested in making passive income every month than working 10 hours everyday to get sustainable income every month.
    Maybe I got lucky, but mentorship does work, it is upto your coach how they teach.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10882853].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by sanjon View Post

      I had a one on one training with a android apps coach recently and it was one of the best decisions for me. I suffered the same shiny object syndrome and have downloaded tons of products claiming I can make thousands easily but most of them were crap.
      Mentorship can certainly work , it just require doing your own research to find out the perfect coach and ur way of earning money.
      I was always interested in making passive income every month than working 10 hours everyday to get sustainable income every month.
      Maybe I got lucky, but mentorship does work, it is upto your coach how they teach.
      Glad it worked for you Sanjon.

      I earlier in this thread someone mention (I don't recall off the top
      of my head) something about bad students as well.

      Looks like you're one of the good ones that acted and got desiable
      results and that's great!

      Thanks for the input!

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10883283].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MValmont
    It worked for me.

    When I started I learned everything on the warrior forum. I bought 5-6 WSO and this is how I got started. Some of them were really good, some average and some were bad. I refunded those that were bad and the seller gave me back my money.

    You need to learn a system when you start, I truly believe that.

    The problem with this forum is that most people that know what they are talking about left. Why? It used to be an internet marketing forum, now it is a joke. I got my WSO removed a few days ago because I had what they call income claims in it (90% of the WSO have income claims). You basically cannot advertise properly on this forum anymore. Lots of thread get deleted because the person that started the thread offers MASSIVE VALUE ( like a step by step system to help newbies), but has a link in his signature for an op-tin. This is ridiculous. The guy offer massive value, but they come to the conclusion that he started this thread just for publicity. Guess what, he probably did indeed. But he DID help newbies Get started for FREE.

    You don't have threads like this on this forum anymore because as I said, this is not allowed. This is why people are so lost. Just look at the main discussion section, this is a real joke. People are lost and don't know what to do. Pretty much all the marketers that make money left this place. Why would they? Why would they if they can't at least get opt-ins in exchange of their value. They need an incentive. This forum became a joke IMO.

    But to answer your question, yes I started by getting mentored by people that are good at what they do. This is the fastest way to get there. There are still a lot of good WSO out there but most of them are crap because as I said, those that work are not allowed to market them properly so there is no point in advertising here, and the traffic went WAY WAY down so most WSO are barely breaking even here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10883315].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by MValmont View Post

      It worked for me.

      When I started I learned everything on the warrior forum. I bought 5-6 WSO and this is how I got started. Some of them were really good, some average and some were bad. I refunded those that were bad and the seller gave me back my money.

      You need to learn a system when you start, I truly believe that.

      The problem with this forum is that most people that know what they are talking about left. Why? It used to be an internet marketing forum, now it is a joke. I got my WSO removed a few days ago because I had what they call income claims in it (90% of the WSO have income claims). You basically cannot advertise properly on this forum anymore. Lots of thread get deleted because the person that started the thread offers MASSIVE VALUE ( like a step by step system to help newbies), but has a link in his signature for an op-tin. This is ridiculous. The guy offer massive value, but they come to the conclusion that he started this thread just for publicity. Guess what, he probably did indeed. But he DID help newbies Get started for FREE.

      You don't have threads like this on this forum anymore because as I said, this is not allowed. This is why people are so lost. Just look at the main discussion section, this is a real joke. People are lost and don't know what to do. Pretty much all the marketers that make money left this place. Why would they? Why would they if they can't at least get opt-ins in exchange of their value. They need an incentive. This forum became a joke IMO.

      But to answer your question, yes I started by getting mentored by people that are good at what they do. This is the fastest way to get there. There are still a lot of good WSO out there but most of them are crap because as I said, those that work are not allowed to market them properly so there is no point in advertising here, and the traffic went WAY WAY down so most WSO are barely breaking even here.
      MValmont, I hear ya.

      Tell us how you really feel huh?

      Lol, just kitten.

      I've heard people say that the WF is a joke and whatnot, but I don't
      know...I'm liking it.

      Finding some good connections and I'll be honest...I'm finding some
      future customers too.

      Some are on FB (a lot are) and some elsewhere, but I like places
      where there's a lot of like-minded people looking to connect.

      If you bring something of value (and don't rely on a WSO getting
      rejected here) then people may follow you wherever you go no?

      No offense, just my 2 cents.

      Either way thanks for chiming in.

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10884385].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MValmont
        Originally Posted by chooseyourself View Post

        MValmont, I hear ya.

        Tell us how you really feel huh?

        Lol, just kitten.

        I've heard people say that the WF is a joke and whatnot, but I don't
        know...I'm liking it.

        Finding some good connections and I'll be honest...I'm finding some
        future customers too.

        Some are on FB (a lot are) and some elsewhere, but I like places
        where there's a lot of like-minded people looking to connect.

        If you bring something of value (and don't rely on a WSO getting
        rejected here) then people may follow you wherever you go no?

        No offense, just my 2 cents.

        Either way thanks for chiming in.

        -Phil

        There is almost no traffic here. Fact.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10884490].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
          Originally Posted by MValmont View Post

          There is almost no traffic here. Fact.
          I'm not sure I agree, I see people here all the time and although
          I'm still relatively new to posting here frequently.

          It seems pretty good to me, already seen a little bit of traffic coming
          back to my Facebook group so I'm happy.

          -Phil
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10884783].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Iannotti
    Yes had a mentor back in 2009 and yes they did help. What's crazy is, I didn't realize just how much they did help me until about 6-8 months after I originally gave up on internet marketing. The issue is, many think there is some magic wand one will wave around that can give you instant success, it doesn't work like that. The info a mentor provides can be basic and simple, it's what YOU do with that information is what matters most. Next, not all students/mentors do the same thing, alot of students need "mental" coaching.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10884626].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by Matthew Iannotti View Post

      Yes had a mentor back in 2009 and yes they did help. What's crazy is, I didn't realize just how much they did help me until about 6-8 months after I originally gave up on internet marketing. The issue is, many think there is some magic wand one will wave around that can give you instant success, it doesn't work like that. The info a mentor provides can be basic and simple, it's what YOU do with that information is what matters most. Next, not all students/mentors do the same thing, alot of students need "mental" coaching.
      Yes, I think the biggest part is the accountability that a coach
      can give you.

      It's weird.

      You know what to do for the most part right?

      Yet, sometimes it just takes hearing it from someone succesful
      or just someone else that you do it!

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10884787].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mattswifi
    Everybody will have a different answer and different experience with this. We have mentors from the minute we're born, sometimes good sometimes bad. But I suppose another way to look at it is how did you apply yourself with the teachings and what would have happened without them? How did you benefit?
    Sometimes you don't realise the lessons taught until years down the line, and the lessons are utilised in different ways.
    When I went into a new job a few years ago, I knew nothing about it. I got a mentor for a couple of weeks, and once I'd taken everything on board and applied it, a year later I was the best performing in my role. Then went on to mentor others. Exactly what I do now
    So the main point is to apply yourself and give 100%, take everything out of the teachings that you can, keeping in mind that their way of teaching may not always like for like in your way of learning.

    Matt
    Signature
    FREE BOOTCAMP REVEALS HOW TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE!
    CLICK HERE TO GET ACCESS!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10884639].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aravision74
    Originally Posted by Matthew Iannotti View Post

    (Yes had a mentor back in 2009 and yes they did help. What's crazy is, I didn't realize just how much they did help me until about 6-8 months after I originally gave up on internet marketing. The issue is, many think there is some magic wand one will wave around that can give you instant success, it doesn't work like that. The info a mentor provides can be basic and simple, it's what YOU do with that information is what matters most. Next, not all students/mentors do the same thing, alot of students need "mental" coaching).

    The key is mental coaching. But if you listen to all the recordings of the group sessions, the mental will rub off. It is better to listen to those who have broken through to the money than those who are still waiting for it to come. Its the difference between getting advice and hearing someones opinion.
    Nevertheless, it's all about implementing what you have learned. I was able to create a funnel with a Front end product and two upsells including a membership product on creating and marketing through videos with YouTube thanks to what I learned with my mentor. But I still haven't send it to the market because lacking money to get to the end of it. And also the pile of work involved getting through the learning curve and the implementation process whan you don't yet have the means to outsource.

    But I learned a lot (because I implemented) and when I do break through in a significant way, all of that will be priceless.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885098].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by Aravision74 View Post

      Originally Posted by Matthew Iannotti View Post

      (Yes had a mentor back in 2009 and yes they did help. What's crazy is, I didn't realize just how much they did help me until about 6-8 months after I originally gave up on internet marketing. The issue is, many think there is some magic wand one will wave around that can give you instant success, it doesn't work like that. The info a mentor provides can be basic and simple, it's what YOU do with that information is what matters most. Next, not all students/mentors do the same thing, alot of students need "mental" coaching).

      The key is mental coaching. But if you listen to all the recordings of the group sessions, the mental will rub off. It is better to listen to those who have broken through to the money than those who are still waiting for it to come. Its the difference between getting advice and hearing someones opinion.
      Nevertheless, it's all about implementing what you have learned. I was able to create a funnel with a Front end product and two upsells including a membership product on creating and marketing through videos with YouTube thanks to what I learned with my mentor. But I still haven't send it to the market because lacking money to get to the end of it. And also the pile of work involved getting through the learning curve and the implementation process whan you don't yet have the means to outsource.

      But I learned a lot (because I implemented) and when I do break through in a significant way, all of that will be priceless.
      Awesome Aravision.

      Keep hustling!

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885330].message }}
  • Yes and No !!!

    When you initially jump out of the school or college - we all will know that world operates on very different rhythm of music. So if you are going to go all alone and choose the entrepreneurship then a coach / mentor / guru will help 30 to 40% of the journey of learning. But usually the price we pay for this is almost 10 to 1000 times the earning and energy.
    Signature
    Introducing Click to Call.
    https://www.virtualglobalphone.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885176].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by virtualglobalphone View Post

      Yes and No !!!

      When you initially jump out of the school or college - we all will know that world operates on very different rhythm of music. So if you are going to go all alone and choose the entrepreneurship then a coach / mentor / guru will help 30 to 40% of the journey of learning. But usually the price we pay for this is almost 10 to 1000 times the earning and energy.
      Hey thanks for chiming in virtualglobalphone.

      Nice name lol.

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ukpropinvest
    Banned
    Those do do..do..those that can't mentor,teach. Simple as.

    Even if they know what they "were " talking about it changes fast and unless you are the leader, the trier, it becomes outdated fast.

    Let the hate begin.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885244].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by ukpropinvest View Post

      Those do do..do..those that can't mentor,teach. Simple as.

      Even if they know what they "were " talking about it changes fast and unless you are the leader, the trier, it becomes outdated fast.

      Let the hate begin.
      So I'm not sure I'm understanding you completely ukpropinvest.

      In this post, you're saying that mentors are people that can't make money or
      can't do whatever it is they're teaching?

      Then in the post below you talk about the students not being teachable.

      I don't know...seems a little contradictory IMO.

      In one you're saying the mentor/coach is a hack.

      Then in the other it's the student being a hack.

      Is it both?

      Just curious and not "hating", I'm just...confused.

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885377].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ukpropinvest
    Banned
    Anyone that really knows whet they are doing doesn't waste time teaching....

    Anyone with half an ounce of business sense knows most people are not teachable. Only opportunity jumpers, lazy f***er's etc...so why even bother? They'll start labelling guru a scam because you failed to answer an email at 4:00am or they didn't make $5,000 the next day, etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885247].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by ukpropinvest View Post

      Anyone that really knows whet they are doing doesn't waste time teaching....

      Anyone with half an ounce of business sense knows most people are not teachable. Only opportunity jumpers, lazy f***er's etc...so why even bother? They'll start labelling guru a scam because you failed to answer an email at 4:00am or they didn't make $5,000 the next day, etc.
      I think I hear you ukpropinvest lol.

      I agree on some people being bad students.

      There are people that won't ever do dick with what they're taught
      and expect the world...

      And then blame the mentor/coach.

      But then there are mentors that aren't really suited for your
      specific needs or just have shitty programs.

      Why it's good to do your homework, ultimately it's on you for sure,
      not the mentor. You have to make sure you know what you're
      getting and that others have had success with that mentor as well.

      Oh...and I think they "bother" because they just got paid thousands
      of dollars to teach someone and they'll make it regardless...

      No?

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885367].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    I feel for you ,OP. I always had "silent" Mentors. People on the Forum I watched and listened to. And occasionally I might PM them with a question or maybe get their opinion about a Site.

    But there was never any formal commitment with a Coach or Mentor for me.

    It can be good for some but as you can see not always good for others


    - Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885283].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by discrat View Post

      I feel for you ,OP. I always had "silent" Mentors. People on the Forum I watched and listened to. And occasionally I might PM them with a question or maybe get their opinion about a Site.

      But there was never any formal commitment with a Coach or Mentor for me.

      It can be good for some but as you can see not always good for others


      - Robert Andrew
      Indeed Discrat.

      You can see the "jaded-ness" almost immediately with some...shit, myself
      included.

      But I see now that I should've done more homework, it's on me in the long
      run right?

      I too have a silent mentor that's helped me just because he's a friend. He's
      further along in the game and if I was to get coached, it would be by him
      because:
      1. He'd hold me accountable
      2. I trust him
      3. If his free shit is great...imagine what paying for his time would be like

      Thanks for chiming in bro.

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885371].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Phil,

    I believe that when you are a solo business owner, you are the business.

    It's you that decides every angle, turn, niche, strategy, and plan that your business implements. The same is not true when you have employees in your business and vest decisions in their hands.

    Why is this important and usually overlooked by people early in their business career? They often refuse to be responsible and accountable for their business not working or the obstacles that block their path.

    So what do they do? Often they gripe, moan, whine and complain about their competitors, Google (Satan's platform), prospects, or the advice on the Warrior Forum. The can never accept the fact that they are totally responsible for whatever takes place in their business.

    Some then decide to hire a mentor to "make them successful," show them the way, or guarantee their profitability.

    That is not the role of a mentor and with expectations like that, the student is bound to be disappointed and fail once again after spending considerable amounts.

    If you are contemplating hiring a mentor, I suggest the following:
    1. Have the basics of online solo business already down. Know what would be termed "universal online business owner basics." If you don't understand the basics already that can be learned online for free, you will be paying an expensive tutor to help you with these things. Why pay a mentor to teach you about autoresponders, squeeze pages, capturing prospect contact info, sending out emails, and all the other basic principles of IM? Besides, knowing these things will help you to ask intelligent questions of the mentor and you can focus on getting help in just the areas where you are weak.
    2. Have a business plan (including a business model and marketing strategy) already in mind. Even better, would be to have already set up at least the basics of what you want to do and have some experience so that you will see where you are deficient and the areas where you really need professional help. Even if the mentor suggests you start over in a different niche or with a better business model/strategy, you will have invaluable experience under your belt and you will come to know why what you're doing isn't working.
    3. Discuss exactly what roles and obligations both you and the mentor have in this "partnership" before you hire anyone. Be very clear on your expectations and what he plans to do for you. Put it in writing so that you will be reminded often about the mentor's deliverables and your own duties and accountabilities.
    4. Hire a mentor who has been successful in your niche and with your business model. I have never seen highly successful business owners that know everything there is to know about online business. Some are great at affiliate marketing. Some are great at membership sites. Some are great at product creation, and on and on. Nobody is great at what they haven't done. So as you look for a mentor, find one who has been down the exact path (or as close as possible to the path) you plan to travel. Charles Barkley was a great basketball player but he sure can't hit a golf ball well.
    5. Your mentor "owes you nothing." He/she is there to support, advise, and counsel you. The business is still yours and remember, you are the business. A mentor cannot guarantee your business success. The mentor can not make your decisions for you. Remember this when you are looking for a mentor and if you see a mentor promising some amount you will be making per month, or some time frame when your business will be profitable with his help, it is a bright red flag that you shouldn't hire him.
    6. Mentors are human, they make mistakes, they carry biases and dislikes, they have their own ways of doing things. You are not obligated to follow everything they say. I mentioned earlier that it was good to have a basic understanding of how online business works before you ever hire a mentor. With the basic understanding, things the mentor tells you will "ring true" or they may sound wrong to you. It's OK. Talk to the mentor about his advice, question his methods (respectfully)so you learn "the why" of what he's asking you to do. Sometimes mentors give bad advice and you are free to accept what you want and to turn down what you don't want.
    7. Understand that mentors are the greatest boost, the greatest rip-offs, and everything in between based on many, many variables. The experience you have, after you have done your due diligence in finding the right mentor, will be the result of your own skill, talent, and effort. You are the business and unless you learn and do what is necessary to have a profitable business, you have no one to blame but yourself.
    The very best to all of you,

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885425].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      Phil,

      I believe that when you are a solo business owner, you are the business.

      It's you that decides every angle, turn, niche, strategy, and plan that your business implements. The same is not true when you have employees in your business and vest decisions in their hands.

      Why is this important and usually overlooked by people early in their business career? They often refuse to be responsible and accountable for their business not working or the obstacles that block their path.

      So what do they do? Often they gripe, moan, whine and complain about their competitors, Google (Satan's platform), prospects, or the advice on the Warrior Forum. The can never accept the fact that they are totally responsible for whatever takes place in their business.

      Some then decide to hire a mentor to "make them successful," show them the way, or guarantee their profitability.

      That is not the role of a mentor and with expectations like that, the student is bound to be disappointed and fail once again after spending considerable amounts.

      If you are contemplating hiring a mentor, I suggest the following:
      1. Have the basics of online solo business already down. Know what would be termed "universal online business owner basics." If you don't understand the basics already that can be learned online for free, you will be paying an expensive tutor to help you with these things. Why pay a mentor to teach you about autoresponders, squeeze pages, capturing prospect contact info, sending out emails, and all the other basic principles of IM? Besides, knowing these things will help you to ask intelligent questions of the mentor and you can focus on getting help in just the areas where you are weak.
      2. Have a business plan (including a business model and marketing strategy) already in mind. Even better, would be to have already set up at least the basics of what you want to do and have some experience so that you will see where you are deficient and the areas where you really need professional help. Even if the mentor suggests you start over in a different niche or with a better business model/strategy, you will have invaluable experience under your belt and you will come to know why what you're doing isn't working.
      3. Discuss exactly what roles and obligations both you and the mentor have in this "partnership" before you hire anyone. Be very clear on your expectations and what he plans to do for you. Put it in writing so that you will be reminded often about the mentor's deliverables and your own duties and accountabilities.
      4. Hire a mentor who has been successful in your niche and with your business model. I have never seen highly successful business owners that know everything there is to know about online business. Some are great at affiliate marketing. Some are great at membership sites. Some are great at product creation, and on and on. Nobody is great at what they haven't done. So as you look for a mentor, find one who has been down the exact path (or as close as possible to the path) you plan to travel. Charles Barkley was a great basketball player but he sure can't hit a golf ball well.
      5. Your mentor "owes you nothing." He/she is there to support, advise, and counsel you. The business is still yours and remember, you are the business. A mentor cannot guarantee your business success. The mentor can not make your decisions for you. Remember this when you are looking for a mentor and if you see a mentor promising some amount you will be making per month, or some time frame when your business will be profitable with his help, it is a bright red flag that you shouldn't hire him.
      6. Mentors are human, they make mistakes, they carry biases and dislikes, they have their own ways of doing things. You are not obligated to follow everything they say. I mentioned earlier that it was good to have a basic understanding of how online business works before you ever hire a mentor. With the basic understanding, things the mentor tells you will "ring true" or they may sound wrong to you. It's OK. Talk to the mentor about his advice, question his methods (respectfully)so you learn "the why" of what he's asking you to do. Sometimes mentors give bad advice and you are free to accept what you want and to turn down what you don't want.
      7. Understand that mentors are the greatest boost, the greatest rip-offs, and everything in between based on many, many variables. The experience you have, after you have done your due diligence in finding the right mentor, will be the result of your own skill, talent, and effort. You are the business and unless you learn and do what is necessary to have a profitable business, you have no one to blame but yourself.
      The very best to all of you,

      Steve
      Steve, thank you for the very elaborate response here.

      I think you really pointed out some crucial things, especially with the
      part about hold yourself accountable AND doing your research before
      actually hiring a mentor/coach.

      You're right, it is ultimately up to you.

      And we must also remember that when a mentor is at the heralded "guru" status...

      You're gonna have to pay them a lot more money if you want more attention,
      IF they even offer anything but group coaching.

      That's the way things work.

      I didn't like my experience because I didn't do enough homework on the
      specifics of how my mentoring was going to be delivered.

      I HATED the webinar/classroom style mentorship.

      It was really a pain in the ass and I lost any momentum I had after
      a short while.

      I do believe that some coaches out there will cater to people that aren't really
      suited for this type of coaching though.

      I think it's complete horseshit when some of them will call to see if you're
      "qualified" to be coached by the mentor.

      You have to be wary of this by doing your homework guys.

      See what real students are really saying lol, of course the mentor/coach is
      gonna say their program is great.

      Oy...

      I still learned some things with my mentorship with this "guru", but if I could
      take it back I would.

      Too late, oh well lol.

      Thanks for the input man.

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10886428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnVianny
    Obviously it depenson the mentor.

    BUT you dont have to reinvent the wheel: basically all that you need is in the Customer Value Optimization by Ryan Deiss...

    ...of course you have to go in deep to better understand how to deliver TRAFFIC, how to set up a squeeze page and landing, how to write good emails, funnel etc...

    But basically if you have an Email List, you have to only get better and better in deliver quality content and sell good products you have tested and used before. As i do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10885486].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by Connann View Post

      Obviously it depenson the mentor.

      BUT you dont have to reinvent the wheel: basically all that you need is in the Customer Value Optimization by Ryan Deiss...

      ...of course you have to go in deep to better understand how to deliver TRAFFIC, how to set up a squeeze page and landing, how to write good emails, funnel etc...

      But basically if you have an Email List, you have to only get better and better in deliver quality content and sell good products you have tested and used before. As i do.
      Yes it depends on the mentor of course.

      I don't know about that book or course by Ryan Deiss in particular,
      but I do believe that it is about the whole focusing on one concept
      until successful.

      I heard Reed Floren mention this (or was it James Renouf? I forget).

      Easy way to remember this is like this:

      F: Focus
      O: On
      C: Concept
      U: Until
      S: Successful


      Pretty cool I thought and pretty damned true.

      Stop jumping from CPA marketing, to solo ads, to blah blah blah.

      Just get really stinking good at ONE of these strategies.

      You can do this by trial & error and sticking with it rather than quitting
      every 30 days and starting anew.


      In other words...get really good at something.

      Teach others in some way after getting your feet wet.

      If you invest the time into becoming a qualified or perceived expert at
      something first, then you'll be able to make sales, PERIOD

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10886437].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author discrat
        Originally Posted by chooseyourself View Post


        rather than quitting
        every 30 days and starting anew.



        -Phil
        Unfortunately, this has kept many VERY questionable Marketers around here in the
        Game...for years now
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10887508].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
          Originally Posted by discrat View Post

          Unfortunately, this has kept many VERY questionable Marketers around here in the
          Game...for years now
          I hear you Discrat.

          Why you gotta get edumacated lol.

          Do your homework, scrape your knee a bit.

          I guess I scraped my knee big time by buying into the wrong kinda
          coaching for me.

          Lesson learned, who knows could have been a blessing in disguise lol.

          -Phil
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10887514].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sam JTB
    Mentorship worked for me, but it wasn't the only factor.

    I think what helps the most is using the approaches and tools you've learned from your own experiences, combined with the knowledge provided by a mentor.

    - Sam
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10886494].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by Sam JTB View Post

      Mentorship worked for me, but it wasn't the only factor.

      I think what helps the most is using the approaches and tools you've learned from your own experiences, combined with the knowledge provided by a mentor.

      - Sam
      True that Sam, you can't beat real-life experiences.

      Getting stuck in theoryland will be the death of you!

      Thanks for chiming in, I see I'm not alone here lol.

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10887487].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EPoltrack77
    Copying what other successful people have done before me. yea most surely it can. Look at a lot of successful people and you'll start to see a trend take place. Id say its the fastest and easiest way. Lifes to short to try and figure it all out on our own.
    Signature
    Free Video Training Sharing The Steps To Succeed With Affiliate Marketing.
    Get Access At www.cbaffiliatecareer.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10886657].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by EPoltrack77 View Post

      Copying what other successful people have done before me. yea most surely it can. Look at a lot of successful people and you'll start to see a trend take place. Id say its the fastest and easiest way. Lifes to short to try and figure it all out on our own.
      Indeed EPoltrack77,

      I've found myself trying to re-invent the wheel and it's lead to...

      Nowhere.
      I'm not saying people shouldn't strive to be great and break new grounds,
      but I agree with using proven concepts to get it going and then tweaking
      things to make it your own rather than looking like a carbon copy.

      Otherwise, before you know it we have this situation going:


      Hee hee, I made a funny.

      Seriuosly though, thanks for adding to the convo.

      I can't believe I just used that phrase...20 lashings lol.

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10887498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jcmunoz
    Man, mentorship is so important.

    One of the main reasons most marketers fail in this industry is because of lack of guidance.

    Mentorship can help you focus your energies on the things that really matter instead of jumping around from one shiny object to the next.

    However, it is really hard to find descent mentorship nowadays. The marketing world is full of false promises. I found that getting into a descent training program with people that you can talk to one on one, help you stick to the basics, and make them work is the best place to start at.

    Only when you start to see results from your efforts should anyone consider paying larger amounts of money on super expensive guru mentorship if the purpose is to optimize your efforts to scale up.

    Anyways, those are my thoughts.


    To your succes,
    JC
    Signature
    7 Day Free Video Series - Build your own online business from scratch!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10886921].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chooseyourself
      Originally Posted by jcmunoz View Post

      Man, mentorship is so important.

      One of the main reasons most marketers fail in this industry is because of lack of guidance.

      Mentorship can help you focus your energies on the things that really matter instead of jumping around from one shiny object to the next.

      However, it is really hard to find descent mentorship nowadays. The marketing world is full of false promises. I found that getting into a descent training program with people that you can talk to one on one, help you stick to the basics, and make them work is the best place to start at.

      Only when you start to see results from your efforts should anyone consider paying larger amounts of money on super expensive guru mentorship if the purpose is to optimize your efforts to scale up.

      Anyways, those are my thoughts.


      To your succes,
      JC
      Great stuff here JC.

      I think you're right about a good training program for the accountability.

      Perhaps I should've gone that route instead of straight to mentorship.

      Maybe an accountability Facebook group or something...

      That'd be cool...on paper lol.

      Thanks for chiming in!

      -Phil
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10887512].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chemtechguru
    Yes having a quality mentor is invaluable when you're first embarking on your marketing career. I am fortunate that someone with 5+ years in the industry took me under their wing so to speak, right when I was on the verge of quitting within my first year working online.

    Yes, you can read through training courses, throw money into advertising etc., but nothing beats someone that's already making it in the game showing you the ropes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11078203].message }}

Trending Topics