Is Honesty the Best Business Policy?

39 replies
Honesty is the best policy. When you put it like this, it does sound great, doesn't it? I guess there's no single person you meet in your line of business who would say that this isn't true. Yet, there's a catch, at least this is something I think about this principle. When you say I believe and support this principle, this should mean so much more than - I don't lie. Of course, we don't lie, but are we totally honest about our situation? Of course, you are being honest, but are you honest to the same extent as the other party you're doing some business with?

When dealing with my listeners both my partner and I are totally honest. It's simple. The quality of our service and music we play can be easily checked. So, it would be ridiculous to try to hide something about the technical difficulties we're experiencing. We are also totally honest with our advertisers. You can't fake the stats. So, it's a clear situation. Yet, when we had some requirements and jobs to be done for our website, we faced a completely different situation. Again, it would be unfair to say that the other parties of our business treated us wrong and presented us with the facts that there weren't true. You can notice how careful I'm when someone has to be qualified as a person that is not telling the truth.

We had a WordPress expert who was honest, but not entirely, and that's why we had to cancel his services. So, it turns out that we all say and approve that the honesty is the best policy. However, when it comes to determining how much we are going to be honest, that's a completely different thing. You may say, but that's not the same. Better to have some honesty present than no honesty at all. The WordPress should have been a little bit more honest about his availability. Yet, he didn't. Why? Because we would have even begun with the work in the first place. This way, we had 3 or 4 months of torture with his constant excuses. For what is worth he did his job what he was paid to do, but not when we expected and needed the most. So, you get my point about the honesty.

What are your thoughts about honesty as the most important principle not only in business? Are you totally honest with your partners, clients, or employees?
#business #honesty #policy
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    I strongly believe in honesty and open communications, especially with people who hire me to do work for them.

    It's easier to tell the truth whereas it's impossible to tell lies and then remember just who you tell those lies to.

    lies may differ and you can get caught up in by telling people different facts.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Visit my site for more info

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907075].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      I strongly believe in honesty and open communications, especially with people who hire me to do work for them.

      It's easier to tell the truth whereas it's impossible to tell lies and then remember just who you tell those lies to.

      lies may differ and you can get caught up in by telling people different facts.
      What about that other question I asked. To which extent you can accept to be honest? Are there any shades of honesty you are willing to live with? Like 50 shades of grey, 50 shades of honesty, lol. Is there a middle ground, or you are either totally honest or totally dishonest? If you accept to compromise and influence the "quantity" of honesty, does it mean that your honesty is already compromised? Those are the questions I would like to discuss further, if possible, of course. Thx.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907219].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EPoltrack77
    Ask Hillery! For long term success and to grow and meet people that will help you get there. Absolutely At least having a good piece of mind...
    Signature
    Free Video Training Sharing The Steps To Succeed With Affiliate Marketing.
    Get Access At www.cbaffiliatecareer.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jazbo
    Honestly?

    Not always, no.
    Signature
    CONTENT WRITER. Reliable, UK-Based, 6 Years Experience - ANY NICHE
    Click Here For Writing Samples & Online Ordering
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907310].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by jazbo View Post

      Honestly?

      Not always, no.
      At least that was an honest response, lol. Appreciated.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907930].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    So - this is about a "Wordpress expert" what does that person do anyway? Build a site? Optimize or customize a site?

    I think you are applying the word/concept "honesty" to someone else in a way that doesn't totally make sense.

    The person you hired may have thought he COULD deliver in a certain time frame and the difficulty of the project or his own problems outside the project might have slowed him down. Doesn't mean he is a "dishonest" person - he may be overly optimistic about time frames and his own abilities.

    The person you hired did not meet your expectations...why? Was the project more than you described? Did you hire cheap and end up with a person who didn't know HOW to do the job? Analyze what happened and do a better job of hiring next time.

    My own practice for many years is quite simple....I never trust anyone who TELLS me how "honest" he is.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

    I wish offended people would react like fainting goats and quietly tip over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907359].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      My own practice for many years is quite simple....I never trust anyone who TELLS me how "honest" he is.
      When I hear someone telling me, can I be honest, can I tell you something honestly, that's a first warning sign that I'm very likely not hear something honest, lol. I just realized one more important point. I missed it. Just because everyone around you are being dishonest it doesn't give you an excuse to become or act as a dishonest person. So... Thx. LR
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10908477].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
        Originally Posted by loveradio View Post

        When I hear someone telling me, can I be honest, can I tell you something honestly, that's a first warning sign that I'm very likely not hear something honest, lol. I just realized one more important point. I missed it. Just because everyone around you are being dishonest it doesn't give you an excuse to become or act as a dishonest person. So... Thx. LR
        I never want to talk to anyone that starts a sentence that way - it is quite condescending and i think it is just a way to offer negative comments or feedback without the wrath of seeming to be rude.

        Being honest doesn't give you liberties.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10909381].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Antony Micheal
    I have listed some of the top reasons why honesty is so important in developing and maintaining lasting business relationships.
    - Trust
    - Reputation
    - Positive Feedback
    - Understanding
    - Positive Environment
    but you may have heard of the definitions “white lie” or “exaggeration of the truth”; which it most likely is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907421].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by Antony Micheal View Post

      I have listed some of the top reasons why honesty is so important in developing and maintaining lasting business relationships.
      - Trust
      - Reputation
      - Positive Feedback
      - Understanding
      - Positive Environment
      but you may have heard of the definitions white lie or exaggeration of the truth; which it most likely is.
      Lol, we should include this as well, although I can't exactly remember where I heard or saw it. Something like, I am always telling the truth, but not the whole truth, lol. Thx.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sid Hale
    Honesty doesn't come in shades...

    but (as Kay pointed out) what you've described with regard to the experience you had with your contracted help may have had nothing to do with honesty.
    Signature

    Sid Hale
    Coming Soon... Rapid Action Profits (Pro)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907477].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by Sid Hale View Post

      Honesty doesn't come in shades...

      but (as Kay pointed out) what you've described with regard to the experience you had with your contracted help may have had nothing to do with honesty.
      I may have overlooked a simple fact that my honest question about honesty was actually colored with negative emotions about my last business experience. Really, this wasn't an intentional move. It just slipped my mind. It is quite possible that I confused expectations with honesty for a brief moment. My bad. Thx.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907935].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
    Banned
    I believe the correct term may be, 'job performance.'

    Frank
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gingerninjas
    You can't blindly trust someone that says 'trust me' and the same can be said about honesty.

    Perhaps you should reverse the situation with your Wordpress developer - did you do your research well enough, did you give them a thorough brief and really focus on ensuring you both were a good match for the project.

    Maybe he felt he was being honest but you didn't ask enough questions.

    There is always two sides to a story.

    To answer your question, honesty is alive and well in business however you can't be in business and trust only honesty there is way more to it than that you need to investigate someone's experience, feedback and also their skill set. They may honestly think that are offering the best possible service they can give.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aizaku
    honesty?

    honesty takes a back seat to service and value..

    provide a hungry audience what they want or what helps them and you could be the devil for all they care..

    -Ike Paz
    Signature
    >> 2018 Money Making Method Video Guides [NO OPTIN] <<
    80% Of These Proven Guides Are Free... ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907962].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by aizaku View Post

      honesty?

      honesty takes a back seat to service and value..
      Honestly, lol, I'm having a problem accepting this one. What's the use of service, quality, and value, if the honesty in our business relationship is missing? It's like building a house of cards, at one point it's going to collapse and it's going to hurt. Right?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10908480].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author libel lusasso
    It is very difficult to tell if somebody is 100% honest on something especially in the business. Everyone nowadays are so much focused on the business and making profit that first and foremost they make ridiculous claims on things and services.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10907977].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by libel lusasso View Post

      It is very difficult to tell if somebody is 100% honest on something especially in the business. Everyone nowadays are so much focused on the business and making profit that first and foremost they make ridiculous claims on things and services.
      OK, I get it and understand it to some point, but. That simply can't be an excuse for a dishonest behavior. Sorry, I was too busy and focused on my business, so I forgot to be quite honest. Just doesn't sound right, does it?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10908483].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dora1245
    If you want to reach success in your life, be honest with your customers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10908498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ashokishere
    yes honesty is the essential thing in business if you want to achieve bigger in it.Any thing going dishonest ll alway leads to failure
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10908536].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Ashokishere View Post

      yes honesty is the essential thing in business if you want to achieve bigger in it.Any thing going dishonest ll alway leads to failure
      If that were true, no one would ever lie for any reason in business.

      Pick up a newspaper. Educate yourself. Deal with reality, not your pipe-dreams.

      Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10908744].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by Ashokishere View Post

      yes honesty is the essential thing in business if you want to achieve bigger in it.Any thing going dishonest ll alway leads to failure
      Maybe not in the short run, but in the long run, you will pay with an interest for all of your dishonest behavior. I really believe in that. Now, to be honest I didn't have time nor the nerves to stay around and follow what happened with each and any of those guys who treated me in a dishonest way, but I definitely don't want to walk in their shoes even for a moment. Thx.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10909395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Keith Everett
    Yes, integrity is everything. You have to have a good memory to lie consistently, so why bother lying?, tell the truth, people will warm to you and want to work with you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10908661].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Keith Everett View Post

      Yes, integrity is everything.
      It would be nice if that were a demonstrable fact. Unfortunately, it's not.

      You have to have a good memory to lie consistently, so why bother lying?
      To many people, being able to lie well is just a part of their skill-set. They use what they have - generally to their best advantage.

      tell the truth, people will warm to you and want to work with you.
      Lie expertly and people will follow you to the ends of the Earth and spend every dime they have buying your products.

      Are you new at this game?

      Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10908742].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by Keith Everett View Post

      Yes, integrity is everything. You have to have a good memory to lie consistently, so why bother lying?, tell the truth, people will warm to you and want to work with you.
      Ah, that's the magic word - integrity. It's a little bit underestimated, but it still means something to the people who appreciate honesty. On the other hand, I always questioned that belief that people who aren't telling the truth have some kind of an amazing memory, lol. I really believe in the power of emotional intelligence. So, if my stomach is telling me that something isn't right, it is a high possibility that this is right. Thx for share.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10909398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ocomok
    I think it's admirable that you are trying your best to give utmost value to honesty in your line of business. It is just something that's difficult to expect from everybody you are doing business with, because at the end of the day this is not your family, you could try but there is no guarantee that you will be given the same level of honesty.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10908707].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by ocomok View Post

      I think it's admirable that you are trying your best to give utmost value to honesty in your line of business. It is just something that's difficult to expect from everybody you are doing business with, because at the end of the day this is not your family, you could try but there is no guarantee that you will be given the same level of honesty.
      I hear you, but let's clarify something. You are being honest because you are an honest person. You are acting in an honest way for the sake of the honesty itself not because you expect to gain something in return. I remember that I saw some post-apocalyptic movie. You know, the whole world going crazy around you. Well, there was a group of survivalist who simply refused to become like all those people around them. So, I just don't care. If 99 people around me are going to lie, and only one is going to be the one telling the truth, I would be that one exception. I'm not talking about some kind of a moral superiority, but rather about a personal choice we have to make every single day. That's all.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10909400].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Helps me sleep good at night
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10908718].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by discrat View Post

      Helps me sleep good at night
      Finally, someone to bring that up. The most important "benefit" of being honest not only in your business, but in your life too. I can't recall how it goes exactly, but I will do my best to paraphrase this one to catch the right meaning: Smart people will never starve, they will find something to do, I don't know, develop an app or do some IM, lol. On the other side, the honest ones will never live in fear. Isn't that more than enough? Thx. LR
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10909403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author james flynn
    Originally Posted by loveradio View Post

    Honesty is the best policy. When you put it like this, it does sound great, doesn't it? I guess there's no single person you meet in your line of business who would say that this isn't true. Yet, there's a catch, at least this is something I think about this principle. When you say I believe and support this principle, this should mean so much more than - I don't lie. Of course, we don't lie, but are we totally honest about our situation? Of course, you are being honest, but are you honest to the same extent as the other party you're doing some business with?

    When dealing with my listeners both my partner and I are totally honest. It's simple. The quality of our service and music we play can be easily checked. So, it would be ridiculous to try to hide something about the technical difficulties we're experiencing. We are also totally honest with our advertisers. You can't fake the stats. So, it's a clear situation. Yet, when we had some requirements and jobs to be done for our website, we faced a completely different situation. Again, it would be unfair to say that the other parties of our business treated us wrong and presented us with the facts that there weren't true. You can notice how careful I'm when someone has to be qualified as a person that is not telling the truth.

    We had a WordPress expert who was honest, but not entirely, and that's why we had to cancel his services. So, it turns out that we all say and approve that the honesty is the best policy. However, when it comes to determining how much we are going to be honest, that's a completely different thing. You may say, but that's not the same. Better to have some honesty present than no honesty at all. The WordPress should have been a little bit more honest about his availability. Yet, he didn't. Why? Because we would have even begun with the work in the first place. This way, we had 3 or 4 months of torture with his constant excuses. For what is worth he did his job what he was paid to do, but not when we expected and needed the most. So, you get my point about the honesty.

    What are your thoughts about honesty as the most important principle not only in business? Are you totally honest with your partners, clients, or employees?
    Being honest with my work makes me go to sleep at night. Fabricating your work might work for sometime but in the end these things always come and bite in the worst of times.In this market not every one is a good smaritan and people sometimes lie to differentiate themselves among their competitors. Therefore consider yourself lucky if you find someone trustworthy and honest with the work you have entrusted them with.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10909423].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author opensourcenetork
    I do believe that there are people operating on the same values business-wise. You just have to be very prudent in knowing who you partner with and be ready to fail along the process until you meet with the people who share your beliefs. I value integrity as well and can get a little frustrated when I devote my trust to people who are not worthy of it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10909761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author timng
    I seriously believe that honesty is the best way forward. You may gain lots of sales initially through over-promising or exaggerating your results. However, in the long run, once people expose your lies, they will stop buying from you. Your reputation will go down the drain.

    Nowadays, if you hear some Internet Marketing Gurus' names being mentioned, immediately, you will hear people associating them with products that do not work. Of course, I won't name names, but I was also a victim of some of the "liars" out there. As a result, I have stopped buying from them.

    The Internet Marketing arena is like the wild wild west. You have to tread it carefully.

    Hope this helps.

    Tim
    Signature

    Tim Ng
    Making a Living, Creating Value for Fellow Internet Marketers

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10909921].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marydelacroix
    I try to be as honest as possible to everyone around me, sometimes I get to suffer from it because things get pretty brutal when you tell the truth. You have to weigh in what's more important, honesty or keeping everything in order. There are a couple of things you would want to be hidden or at least manipulated in sort of way, is that already considered as breaching your honesty policy?

    Just my thoughts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10910360].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by marydelacroix View Post

      I try to be as honest as possible to everyone around me, sometimes I get to suffer from it because things get pretty brutal when you tell the truth. You have to weigh in what's more important, honesty or keeping everything in order. There are a couple of things you would want to be hidden or at least manipulated in sort of way, is that already considered as breaching your honesty policy?

      Just my thoughts.
      Mary,

      Your thoughts are the dangerous thoughts, lol. They make me be restless, lol. Very, very interesting and out of the box point. That thought of "keeping everything in order" I translate as a basic business survival.

      Am I right about that? Would really like to know.

      Thx.
      LR
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10912618].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KenJ
    I am too old to think about lying. I couldn't remember all the things I said to people. So I have to tell the truth - just so that I don't have to remember any lies.

    There is a further issue about credibility here. I was asked today to do a job that was beyond my capabilities. So I sent them to someone else. It keeps my standing and credibility intact and keeps the customer happy. 1 hour later I got a hot referral back from the other business. What comes around goes around.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10910938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author VidasVegas
    Absolutely if you're not honest people will smell that from miles be honest and give them value.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10910944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Crazy Bad
    The term honesty has its parameters in my point of view. It is pretty difficult to be guided just by this value alone as there is no pure black and white just levels of gray that remains acceptable. In my point of view, you have to at least be ready to determine that level of acceptable.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10910975].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author igrowyourbiz
    lol - only on warrior forum and in IM is it even a question of if "honesty" means "total" honesty...smh

    Sorry for your experience.
    Signature
    Get LEGIT! Make 6, 7 or 8 FIGURES Per MONTH
    Just Like The Other Students I Mentor Do!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10913141].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author loveradio
      Originally Posted by igrowyourbiz View Post

      lol - only on warrior forum and in IM is it even a question of if "honesty" means "total" honesty...smh

      Sorry for your experience.
      Honestly, lol, there it is I used it already, lol, I was thinking about more broader business application. Here, I have been always honest in both my questions and comments. Hope the other members acted and wrote the same way. Cheers! LR
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10915334].message }}

Trending Topics