Is There A Loophole With The Email Spam Laws?

10 replies
So, I have heard it said that you are not supposed to email people unless they opt in to your blog or website. What do you guys think if perhaps in the first message to the businesses I want to promote offers too, I make contact to them at their website first on their contact form introducing myself trying to arrange a meeting with them first, then follow up with via an email.

Do you guys think this violate any spam laws?
#email #laws #loophole #spam
  • Profile picture of the author Regional Warrior
    Originally Posted by PBSolutions4U View Post

    So, I have heard it said that you are not supposed to email people unless they opt in to your blog or website. What do you guys think if perhaps in the first message to the businesses I want to promote offers too, I make contact to them at their website first on their contact form introducing myself trying to arrange a meeting with them first, then follow up with via an email.

    Do you guys think this violate any spam laws?
    Seeking to have a meeting via the contact on there website is not an issue but if you email them direct I would not ad anything to the email I.E brochure , advertisement

    You would have more of a chance they will read it , but until they have said yes to another email
    DONT because if you do it is spam as they have not given you permission

    Jason
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10909634].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BradVert2013
    Legitimate business-to-business emails are allowed. I send cold emails as part of my own marketing all the time.

    As long as you don't try conceal your identity and make your subject line clear about what you are offering, you can cold email. However, this doesn't mean putting them on a list. I always make it clear in my emails they are not subscribed to anything and if they don't reply, they won't receive any further emails from me. I also use my real work email address and include my phone number below my name.

    It's not really a loophole as the FTC specifically allows for these kinds of emails.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10909673].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
    You can purchase 3rd party data (which is data that the users provide permission to receive messages from third parties) and as long as you follow the can-spam rules, you can mail them...100% legally.

    I have been doing this for 16+ years and that was before the can-spam act even existed. Had there not been the provision for 3rd party data, I would of been screwed big time!

    So while that is not a loophole, it is how you can mail purchased data and do it 100% can-spam compliant.
    Signature
    How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
    19 Years Exp . . . . . . . . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10909828].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PBSolutions4U
    So what do you think about this video, where this guy explains about contacting these businesses on their contact forms in mass, then sending follow up emails in mass afterwards, being a loophole to get around mass email spam laws? Would this be too much or is it a legit work around to the laws?

    Signature
    Boost Your Sales & Website Traffic TODAY!
    CLICK HERE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10910596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sam JTB
    Maybe it is a loophole and maybe it will even work.

    I don't know what you're selling, but do you want your business to have that "spammy" reputation?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10910604].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PBSolutions4U
      Originally Posted by Sam JTB View Post

      Maybe it is a loophole and maybe it will even work.

      I don't know what you're selling, but do you want your business to have that "spammy" reputation?
      What makes something spammy? The product? Or the fact that I message a lot of people about my product?
      Signature
      Boost Your Sales & Website Traffic TODAY!
      CLICK HERE
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10910606].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sam JTB
        Originally Posted by PBSolutions4U View Post

        What makes something spammy? The product? Or the fact that I message a lot of people about my product?
        Not the product, just the fact that they didn't "opt in" on a form.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10910770].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Email marketing law is there to protect both the sender and the receiver.

    Seeking a "loophole" as you call it, is a bad idea. I would suggest you spend a short amount of time and actually read what the law states and then comply. If you do that, there will be no question in your mind about what you should and shouldn't do.

    IMO, your plan is a waste of time and effort and a bad idea. In addition, it will brand your business as a spammer in the eyes of many. Who wants to be interrupted by a stranger on first contact without being given the courtesy to "raise his hand" that he wants to receive your marketing? Business owners expect to be given the opportunity to "opt in" for messages that are relevant to them. Most business owners are so inundated with spam that they will, at the very least, just ignore you.

    Why don't you just put a little effort into doing online business in a proven way . . . ask folks to opt in to your list because you have something that is valuable to them?

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10910613].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PBSolutions4U
      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      Email marketing law is there to protect both the sender and the receiver.

      Seeking a "loophole" as you call it, is a bad idea. I would suggest you spend a short amount of time and actually read what the law states and then comply. If you do that, there will be no question in your mind about what you should and shouldn't do.

      IMO, your plan is a waste of time and effort and a bad idea. In addition, it will brand your business as a spammer in the eyes of many. Who wants to be interrupted by a stranger on first contact without being given the courtesy to "raise his hand" that he wants to receive your marketing? Business owners expect to be given the opportunity to "opt in" for messages that are relevant to them. Most business owners are so inundated with spam that they will, at the very least, just ignore you.

      Why don't you just put a little effort into doing online business in a proven way . . . ask folks to opt in to your list because you have something that is valuable to them?

      Steve
      I used to work at a telemarketing job, we would call businesses all the time and offer the company services. Some people would say no, do not call or not interested etc. But the company I worked for itself made millions a year. I guess, my thoughts are on the same line as this. Mass Marketing seems to work and make a lot of money for people.

      If this can be done on an individual level, it seems it would be powerful way to make sales. I think all of us have dreams of making a living off of what we do, but while some steps are easy like creating a website etc.... The conundrum has always been how to get people to see your offer. SEO takes a long time. FB, google and bing ads are really expensive. Most people cant afford starting out to do this.
      Signature
      Boost Your Sales & Website Traffic TODAY!
      CLICK HERE
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10910631].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PBSolutions4U
    I see it as something similar to telemarketing.
    Signature
    Boost Your Sales & Website Traffic TODAY!
    CLICK HERE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10914958].message }}

Trending Topics