Is this true for you personally?

by Ron Douglas 20 replies
I've heard over and over again
that if you take the average income
of your 10 closest friends - that's
approximately what you also earn.

Is this true for you personally?

I find it's not true, but I'm a bad
example because I don't have any
friends. LOL
#main internet marketing discussion forum #personally #true
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author KarlWarren
    Far from it...

    although, if it were true I'd be broke. I need to befriend Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.
    Signature
    eCoverNinja - Sales Page Graphics & Layout Specialist
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[105938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rachel Goodchild
    Originally Posted by Ron Douglas View Post

    I've heard over and over again
    that if you take the average income
    of your 10 closest friends - that's
    approximately what you also earn.

    Is this true for you personally?

    I find it's not true, but I'm a bad
    example because I don't have any
    friends. LOL
    It's never been true- I've always earned alot more
    BUT- If I take into account alot of my friends are couples woh both work...then I probalby make the same as that couple.
    Signature

    If you can afford to, please give money to support the people in the Christchurch Earthquake.
    Here is a post to give you information on how to, no matter where you are in the world
    New Zealand thanks you

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[105940].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaskedMarketer
    Originally Posted by Ron Douglas View Post

    I've heard over and over again
    that if you take the average income
    of your 10 closest friends - that's
    approximately what you also earn.

    Is this true for you personally?

    I find it's not true, but I'm a bad
    example because I don't have any
    friends. LOL
    "You Are You're Ten Best Friends"

    I've heard this line many times, so there may be some truth to it.
    Signature

    "One Man's Ceiling is Another Man's Floor
    "


    "I Pay Less Attention to What Men Say. I Just Watch What They Do."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[105946].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Lockwood
    This sounds like the sort of thing that seems logical enough to be true, but probably isn't. At least, if it's true for you, it's not for the reason this "rule" would have you think.

    Does that make sense?

    If your income is similar to your friends', it's probably because friends are often people you work with or go to school with or live near.

    If you work at a fast food place, you probably don't have many friends who are multimillionaires, for example.

    Or say you are a broke college student hanging out with other broke students, so the rule holds true for you. Then you get drafted into the NFL and start making millions, but now many of your friends are other high-paid football players. So the rule still holds, but the reason you are now making millions is not because your friends are- it's because you have the football skills to get into the NFL.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[105972].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Bestel
      I think this comes from the theory that you are naturally drawn to people of the same social scale. If the bond is strong enough then there's a desire to remain comfortable within the group. Weird psychological things go on (stop me if I get too technical ) whereby people sabotage each other and themselves in order to remain part of the group.

      All this is done on a subconscious level and everyone agrees to the 'rules' without realising it's actually happening.

      That's something like the theory - but it could simply be a load of B.S.

      Any way, just like most in this thread - it don't apply to me!

      Peter
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[105992].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
        This one isn't easy to answer because I am one of those who have few but very good long-time friends. I would say that if I listed my "Top Ten" friends, my NEWEST one would be 3 - 4 years while my oldest go back 38 years. The rest would average 10+ years.

        I DO believe that if you start hanging around those in another tax bracket this could be helpful to you, as you may see and learn things you did not know before.

        Oh and Ron, I just sent you a friend request - so this way you can now say you have a friend...

        Mike
        Signature

        Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106004].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MaskedMarketer
          Originally Posted by MikeAmbrosio View Post

          I DO believe that if you start hanging around those in another tax bracket this could be helpful to you, as you may see and learn things you did not know before.

          Mike
          If you and your ten best friends are making 100k a year... And you want to use this theory to boost your income..

          What if you exchanged your old best friends for new 10 best friends that all had a net worth of 50million or more? Do you think that would impact your finances for the better? Do you think you could learn something from them? Maybe this would be your "mastermind" group.. Networking is a very powerful skill and should not be overlooked.

          This one guy I worked with before is a big time investor and one guy that he spends a lot of time with is a billionaire- while my friend is not a billionaire (yet) I still think your closest friends have influence over you and this could possibly include your income...

          While this is not a rule or law, your ten best friends can influence your life..
          Signature

          "One Man's Ceiling is Another Man's Floor
          "


          "I Pay Less Attention to What Men Say. I Just Watch What They Do."
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106047].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
            Originally Posted by MaskedMarketer View Post

            What if you exchanged your old best friends for new 10 best friends that all had a net worth of 50million or more? Do you think that would impact your finances for the better? Do you think you could learn something from them? Maybe this would be your "mastermind" group.. Networking is a very powerful skill and should not be overlooked.

            While this is not a rule or law, your ten best friends can influence your life..
            Agree 100%.

            Case in point - when I met Mike Filsaime in early 2005, I was literally 5 figures in debt. Hanging around his office from time to time, chatting on the phone, watching/listening to him grow his business, and him introducing me to scores of other marketers has helped me go from that 5 figure debt to several 5 figure launches, and grossing high 4 to low 5 figures monthly PART TIME.

            I am a firm believer that you tend to share the mindset of those closest to you.

            Mike
            Signature

            Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106265].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author MaskedMarketer
              Originally Posted by MikeAmbrosio View Post

              Agree 100%.

              Case in point - when I met Mike Filsaime in early 2005, I was literally 5 figures in debt. Hanging around his office from time to time, chatting on the phone, watching/listening to him grow his business, and him introducing me to scores of other marketers has helped me go from that 5 figure debt to several 5 figure launches, and grossing high 4 to low 5 figures monthly PART TIME.

              I am a firm believer that you tend to share the mindset of those closest to you.

              Mike
              Thats great. The people you hang around with can and do influence everything in your life, not just income. Many people may not realize this, but you should choose your friends or/and associates wisely. As in Mikes case.. It can mean the difference of 5 figures in debt, or 5 figures monthly.

              3 things that can be very important to building wealth is Marketing, Networking, and Influence. Whatever niche your in, these skills could def. help boost your income and success
              Signature

              "One Man's Ceiling is Another Man's Floor
              "


              "I Pay Less Attention to What Men Say. I Just Watch What They Do."
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106313].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ron Douglas
          Originally Posted by MikeAmbrosio View Post

          This one isn't easy to answer because I am one of those who have few but very good long-time friends. I would say that if I listed my "Top Ten" friends, my NEWEST one would be 3 - 4 years while my oldest go back 38 years. The rest would average 10+ years.

          I DO believe that if you start hanging around those in another tax bracket this could be helpful to you, as you may see and learn things you did not know before.

          Oh and Ron, I just sent you a friend request - so this way you can now say you have a friend...

          Mike
          Thanks for the friend's request Mike. Now it's only a matter of time before my income skyrockets :-).
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106200].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel E Taylor
    I can honestly tell you its some bullshit someone made up.

    Most of my friends come from south central and poverty backgrounds,
    but have remained positive and continue to work and gridn it out.

    Some janitors, teachers, etc... I make way more than any of them.

    But I also have friends who make way more than me. In the end
    life is about connections, not materialistic things, so that saying is
    the ridiculous. Sounds like something an American made up.

    Daniel
    Signature

    Self Actualization is one's true purpose. Everything
    else is an illusion.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[105990].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author peteinoz
    I think its a fair enough rule for the general public.

    Though this is a marketing forum and will probably not relate to most here..

    Im like mike above, lots of friends from a long time ago an new friends also..

    I think its a fair comment to say most people hang with others in their similar socio economic situation.

    With my sporting friends.. they do not know how much I earn, as it might make them feel uncomfortable etc.. which lends to the truth that people of the same socio economic level hang together..

    thats my 2 cents

    Pete
    Signature
    HangoutMillionaire.com World Premeire Automated Video Marketing Software, Streams YouTube Live and Google Hangouts. Special Offer Link!
    Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/peterdrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106016].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Brian
    I have close friends making less money than me (based on day jobs) and close friends making way lots of money than me (those w/ businesses)
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106024].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi Peter,

      If the bond is strong enough then there's a desire to remain comfortable within the group. Weird psychological things go on (stop me if I get too technical ) whereby people sabotage each other and themselves in order to remain part of the group.
      You gotta love that tribal living thing they do in Scotland.

      It all went wrong for us down here when we started living in houses, broke down the traditional family unit to just a few hundred individuals and gave up those strange 'sabotage' rituals.

      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106058].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Peter Bestel
        Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

        Hi Peter,



        You gotta love that tribal living thing they do in Scotland.

        It all went wrong for us down here when we started living in houses, broke down the traditional family unit to just a few hundred individuals and gave up those strange 'sabotage' rituals.

        Roger,

        If you don't mind, we haven't lived tribally for over a year now and what's more, those 'sabotage' rituals are anything but strange - they're rather nice actually !
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106144].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          I don't have any friends.

          Boy am I lucky!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106155].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Peter Bestel
            Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

            I don't have any friends.

            Boy am I lucky!
            Well Steven, according to this theory you average out the income of your ten closest friends (in your case, apparently $0) and that will be your income...

            I'd get some friends soon

            Peter

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joshrodrigue
    Yea I think its kind of relative. Normally the people you hang around are like minded individuals.
    Signature

    Visit my blog at www.JoshRodrigue.com
    And You can follow me on Twitter

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106225].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi Ron,

      I've heard over and over again
      that if you take the average income
      of your 10 closest friends - that's
      approximately what you also earn.

      Is this true for you personally?

      I find it's not true, but I'm a bad
      example because I don't have any
      friends. LOL
      Don't fret. As with any problem of this type, there is always a way to cut corners and by-pass the usual complicated processes while still gaining the benefits.

      Simply spend your spare time hanging around unsuspiciously in car parks. When you see someone in an expensive car pull up, follow them into whatever pub/restaurant/sauna they are visiting.

      Then just sit very close to them for as long as possible and over time, you will find that you become rich automatically just from being close to those people. Apparently Joe Vitale is making a new film about it.

      It's called 'The Sneakret.'
      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106277].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ron Douglas
        Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

        Hi Ron,



        Don't fret. As with any problem of this type, there is always a way to cut corners and by-pass the usual complicated processes while still gaining the benefits.

        Simply spend your spare time hanging around unsuspiciously in car parks. When you see someone in an expensive car pull up, follow them into whatever pub/restaurant/sauna they are visiting.

        Then just sit very close to them for as long as possible and over time, you will find that you become rich automatically just from being close to those people. Apparently Joe Vitale is making a new film about it.

        It's called 'The Sneakret.'
        Now that's taking action. LOL
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[106301].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics