Is There a Clear Path to Success?

24 replies
Everyone wants to be the next Bill Gates, Steven Spielberg or Walt Disney. However what are you willing to do to get there? If you believe that the successful just happen to fall into these lofty positions, you need to read their stories.

Success is rarely easy. Lets face it, very few of us will be born a Rockefeller and inherit the world.

I could tell you that you are probably better off not being born rich, but I dont want to shove my personal dogma down your throat. Rather than do all that, I'll just give you my humble opinion, which is: youre better off attaining wealth on your own over time,

Once you start checking into the back-stories of some of these impressive people, youll probably be glad that youre not in their shoes, especially when you consider the responsibilities they have.

When these folks make a decision, their butts aren't the only ones on the line, but everyone elses as well.

In the case of Spielberg, whenever he makes a movie hes responsible for thousands of people and their reputations. If a movie that hes making turns out to be an unmitigated disaster, then everyone thats working with him gets tarnished too.

And the results aren't the only thing he has to worry about. Hes responsible for the safety of his crew, the logistics of when and where his filming is going to take place, dealing with unions, budgets etc. I dont know about you, but Id be folding, fast.

Not to mention that the road to this lofty position isnt exactly fun either.

The Mouse That Almost Wasn't

Let's take Walt Disney for example.

(Now, who wouldn't want to be the next Walt Disney?) If you skip over the fact he dropped out of high school to go and fight in WWI, youll see that he worked for years as an advertising artist, making slim wages. Actually, he wasn't even successful in getting in the army because they found out he was underage.)

After that, he went into business with a friend making short cartoons for movie theaters. That company went bankrupt because the profits weren't even coming close to covering the expenses of the business.

After that, Disney produced an animated series called Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

However, the main stake holder in that business tried to reduce Walts compensation on those cartoons, so he protested. Eventually, Walt was on the street again, looking for another gig.

After those fiascoes, Disney created a series based on his character Mickey and the rest is history. But the point needs to be stated that this was not an overnight success story. It took him years of blood, sweat and tears to get to his first successesAnd even then it wasn't easy to maintain!

The Life of an Entrepreneur Isn't Easy

So, I guess it goes without saying that if youre going to take on the responsibility of becoming an entrepreneur, youre going to have more responsibilities than you have now.

But hey, thats what you want to do if you want to be more successful than everyone else, take on more responsibilities!

In the past, someone pointed out to me that if you want to be more successful in life, you've got to step it up.

A homeless bum might have a free and easy lifestyle, unencumbered by responsibilities.
However, he also has no home, family or life worth living either.

Thats kind of the safe way to live, isn't it? When you dont step up and take responsibility for your life, its almost a comfortable, safe cocoon you can live in.

Just let me lie around, sleep, and eat Ill be content, like a good dog.

What a waste of life!

How Can You Make Lots of Money on The Internet?

If you frequent any of the Internet marketing forums where wannabe netrepreneurs frequent, youll see this question asked almost daily,

How Can I Make Lots of Money on The Internet?

As a matter of fact, youll also see the responses of seasoned entrepreneurs that frequent those forums lament that they are sick to death of those types of questions.

Usually, people that want to start Internet based businesses, or any other type for that matter, are looking for a simple strategy they can follow to make piles of cash. Part of the reason why these people think this way, is because they've been conned by marketing hype they've seen online.

Everywhere you look on the Internet there are pages and pages of successful entrepreneurs that make the bulk of their money selling the dream.

Im not saying that there aren't any good Internet marketing products out there, because there are. As a matter of fact, there are some stellar products that you can buy that will help you learn the business.

However, when you read much of the advertising copy that accompanies the desire to buy, the sellers wont tell you everything they went through to make it. Some of these people were on their last dime, some of them were single and didn't have many of the responsibilities that many of us experience, and most of them failed at their endeavors many times before making it.

So, the illusion of Internet marketing success is you can do something fun, hang out online and use social media sites to make a wad of money.

The Salesman Experience = Good Internet Entrepreneurs

What I've found in almost every case, is that most of the people that make it big were already salesmen and businessmen of sorts BEFORE they became online entrepreneurs. Thats why so many of them take to writing advertising copy like a duck to water. They've already been memorizing sales scripts for years before beginning to write copy.

To a certain extent, many of these online successes already had selling and writing sales copy in their blood, so whenever they hit a wall or an obstacle in their businesses, it was just another dayanother experience to learn fromanother way to grow.

The average wide-eyed optimist online doesn't have that kind of experience and therefore, when they dont get have a successful experience right out of the starting gate, they have a tendency to give up pretty quickly.

Attitude Thoughts: How You Can Turn This Around and Start Succeeding

While I cant speak for every type of business model that I know is out there, I will tell you that there are quite a few things that you can do to help yourself move in the direction of success with your business.

1. Youve got to get serious. Almost every day, I get up at 6:00. This includes weekends and holidays. If I have everything set up from the night before, I can get a solid two hours of writing in before anyone else gets up to bug me.

Why do I do this?

Because Im freakin dedicated. When I had an online embroidery business, I worked from 6:00 AM to sometimes 3:00 AM the next morning. If you are going to be successful and show others around you that you mean business for real, then youve got to get up and kick butt. Make plans and schedules and stick to them like glue. Your friends and family will be amazed!

2. Become an authority in your field. If you want to really be taken seriously, then become an authority. There are many ways to do this. For one thing, you could write about your area of expertise quite extensively. You can get articles published in trade magazines, journals, or even write a book.

A book is actually the best way to gain authority quickly because it has a Thump Factor. If you hand a client or customer a solid copy of a book youve written, it immediately establishes you as an authority. An online eBook can have a similar effect, especially if you sell a Kindle version of it on Amazon. If people like your eBook and make a ton of comments on it, chances are theyll look to you as the go to guy for your respective niche.

3. Use a planner regularly. Get a planner and use it for real. Dont just buy one and let it sit there. Buy one and use it every single day. Plan everything you can think of and set your goals. Put a start and ending date for projects and ideas to begin and end. This way, when you complete each goal, you can check them off one at a time and you wont get discouraged by a lack of completion or a lack of direction. Dont forget that small goals eventually equal big goals. As Zig Zigglar used to say, How can you hit a target if you dont even have one?

4. Use a whiteboard. In conjunction with #3 above, use a small whiteboard to place your goals on. Why? So you can have your short term goals right where you can see them until they are completed.

A few years back, I bought a $25,000 house that needed rehabbing and using small whiteboards I was able to knock out every single short term project that needed to be done with efficiency.

Since almost every single wall, ceiling and floor had to be ripped out of that house, as well as a few extra rooms to be built, you cant imagine what a lifesaver having those whiteboards were. Especially since nobody believed rehabbing this house was possible. We completed the entire rehab in about a year and a half.

So, a good strategy is to make a list of all of your chores that culminate in completing your goal and place the white board on a wall where you have to see it often. Then, as you complete each goal, you can cross off each chore or segment as you get it completed. You will definitely have an incredible sense of completion as you near your over-all goal.

5. Never forget the value of a client or a customer. A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to see a documentary on the life of the painter/instructor Bob Ross. It was a most enlightening 2 hours, to say the least. Not only was Bob a great painter, able to knock out pieces of art with great flair and pizazz, but he was also an excellent instructor. But the main thing Ill remember the most about the documentary were the stories that were told on how he handled his customers and students.

In the early days of his painting instruction business, Bob didnt get very many students to the art stores he was going to give his classes at. One time, only one man showed up and Bobs business partner said, Hey Bob, why dont we pack it up. Only one man showed up, Im sure hell understand. That wasnt good for Bob Ross.

Bob told his partner, If only one person showed up then were going to give him the best lesson hell ever get on how to paint. And he worked closely with the man until the store was about to close. Thats the type of care and commitment you have got to show to everyone you meet in your business.

Make Sure You Hit the RoadAnd Hit It HARD!

As you can see, the path to success on the Internet business model is just like any other business; fraught with all kinds of problems and hassles, just like any other business. If you are really going to go down this road, then congrats!

I truly wish you all of the success in the world. But please, bear in mind that you are going to have to pour your guts into this. Im not going to sugar-coat this one little bit for you, because that would be doing you a big disservice.

You've got to find your personal niche, create a plan and execute it with everything you've got.

One last success strategy before I sign off

6. Read as many success stories as you can. Read about Bruce Lee, Jack Lalanne, Vince Lombardi, Bill Gates, George Washington and other famous people that made it to the top. This will give you encouragement and keep you motivated on a daily basis. God knows, there will be enough people out there that will try to drag you down, to include jealous relatives.

If this article was a blessing to you and helped, please shoot me a comment or an email and let me know what you think. Id love to hear about your successes and also help you out by fielding any questions you may have about this subject and others.

God Bless and Happy New Year!

Elmo
#clear #path #success
  • Profile picture of the author winebuddy
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10967229].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    Banned
    Everyone wants to be the next Bill Gates, Steven Spielberg or Walt Disney.
    Not even on a bad day...one is dead and the other two can't even go out to get some cigarettes without getting stormed by morons.

    Success = acres and acres of wilderness where I am king and make all the rules. Got that!
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10967257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author elmo033057
    Success = acres and acres of wilderness where I am king and make all the rules. Got that!
    Apparently, you aren't married or planning to get married.

    (Don't mention that I said this to my wife...Please!)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10967293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author couragewithinyou
    Cool article. Definitely agree with you that being born rich doesn't teach us as much as working hard for everything and understanding the value.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10967327].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    Very good post!

    One other thing that this made me think of.. "path to success", I firmly believe there are several paths and people should be open to that and realize that you don't always need to walk on other people's paths to find success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10967334].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Originally Posted by elmo033057 View Post

    Everyone wants to be the next Bill Gates, Steven Spielberg or Walt Disney.
    Hey Elmo,
    Thanks for the Post. Seriously, really good !!

    That being said Iam not trying so sound cynical but I honestly can say that I have never felt this way.

    I get what you are saying. But to me I always wanted to make Money and having my own Business allowed me to do that while also having Freedom to do things that are MOST important to me like being in my children's Life as much as I want and playing Disc Golf all day

    Some of us were just not born with that desire of being "great" like these guys you mentioned.

    That's what makes this World awesome to have different type folks !!

    - Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10967340].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Originally Posted by elmo033057 View Post


    A homeless bum might have a free and easy lifestyle, unencumbered by responsibilities.
    However, he also has no home, family or life worth living either.

    Thats kind of the safe way to live, isn't it? When you dont step up and take responsibility for your life, its almost a comfortable, safe cocoon you can live in.

    Just let me lie around, sleep, and eat Ill be content, like a good dog.

    What a waste of life!
    Hey Elmo,
    Sometimes being homeless is NOT a safe way to live. The reason I point this out is I have been involved in helping homeless people.

    Many of these people are NOT taking the easy way out.( I do realize there are some who do mooch of others with no legit reason )

    Not by a long shot.

    A lot of them have severe mental illness. Iam talking about actual biological mental illness. The kind many people literally slit their wrists over each and every year. The kind if you or me were unlucky enough to get ...well we would be in bed for weeks with no energy to do anything. No energy to live, let alone run a business or do any kind of work.

    Trust me it's real, and it's something I would not wish on my worst enemy.


    Not trying to make excuses for them. But it's easy to write these people off as bums but many are not.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10967343].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aizaku
    Great post and even better advice.

    I couldn't agree more, number 3 on your list really is important

    Originally Posted by elmo033057 View Post

    3. Use a planner regularly. Get a planner and use it for real. Dont just buy one and let it sit there. Buy one and use it every single day. Plan everything you can think of and set your goals. Put a start and ending date for projects and ideas to begin and end.
    but i want to add this..

    you need a planner that's in your face, for this I use google keep, it's free and easy to set up..

    I have it on my computer, laptop and mobile.

    you can create reminders for everything you need to do.

    2017 here we come,
    Ike Paz
    Signature
    >> 2018 Money Making Method Video Guides [NO OPTIN] <<
    80% Of These Proven Guides Are Free... ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10967368].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tesslady
    Hello there,

    Thanks for posting this! Yes, the path to success is surely not easy to tread on. But let's do it anyway!

    Wishing you more success this 2017. Cheers!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10967526].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raiser45
    Hey Elmo,

    Nice long post with a lot of information, thanks though.

    The path to success is not easy you have to fail and fail before you find success.

    And that is why many people don't make money because they don't want to fail,

    They want to see success directly.

    But the path to success is NOT easy!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10967570].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author elmo033057
      Originally Posted by Raiser45 View Post

      Hey Elmo,

      Nice long post with a lot of information, thanks though.

      The path to success is not easy you have to fail and fail before you find success.

      And that is why many people don't make money because they don't want to fail,

      They want to see success directly.

      But the path to success is NOT easy!
      Man, you are so right about that, my friend! Here's a video I like to watch from time to time that will back up what you're saying 100%.


      Happy New Year, everyone!

      Elmo
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10967904].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randy McLean
    Great post.

    Yes, being a millionaire would be nice but as you say you have to consider the cost. Many do eventually get their money but at the expense of their health, their families etc.

    Many are quick to look at those who have "made it" and assume they're an overnight success. But they fail to see all the years prior to that where they worked night and day.

    I also learned that the harder I work, the luckier I get.

    It's also like that in the corporate world too. If you want a higher paying position then you must be prepared to take on more responsibility.

    You see people (haters) who are always negative and are just too lazy to put in the work.

    When it comes to online marketing, a lot of newbies assume that technology is going to take care of everything for you. Nothing could be further from the truth.

    Like you say, you have to know how to sell, what to say, how to build relationships etc. But the good news is these skills can all be learned.

    For my own peace of mind, I set a goal for myself in terms of how much I want to make. Once I hit that number I am satisfied.

    That way I am not alienating my family and can still enjoy a good quality of life. Enough to pay the bills with a little left over for fun.

    After all, you can only wear 1 set of clothes at a time, only eat so much food in one sitting etc.

    It really depends on how you look at it and what you want. To me, it's all about balance.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10967590].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author anayb
      Originally Posted by Randy McLean View Post

      Great post.

      Yes, being a millionaire would be nice but as you say you have to consider the cost. Many do eventually get their money but at the expense of their health, their families etc.

      When it comes to online marketing, a lot of newbies assume that technology is going to take care of everything for you. Nothing could be further from the truth.
      This relates to me and many others; Thank you for reminding me that I'm not alone who have gone through similar situations.

      Regarding your comment on tech, I thought the same in the beginning, but eventually realised that I have to build something very unique on top of tech. Thanks to my long coding skills, it wasn't too hard to build something from scratch, but the ideas I get from here on the WF.
      Signature
      Do you need an exclusive video product?
      Graphics Design - Motion Graphics - 2D & 3D Animation - Video Editing - Color Grading - Logo Animation - etc
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10968063].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterkailo
    Just need freedom and help others do the same Don't need to be the next Bill Gates
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10968066].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Raiser45
      Originally Posted by misterkailo View Post

      Just need freedom and help others do the same Don't need to be the next Bill Gates
      Yes you're right as long as you're happy in life, you don't have to be the next bill gates to be happy in life
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10968169].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author elmo033057
      Originally Posted by misterkailo View Post

      Just need freedom and help others do the same Don't need to be the next Bill Gates
      I totally agree. Personally, I can't imagine running a business that huge, especially if it was my company that I had built from the ground up.

      At some point you're going to have to turn the reins over to someone else, and that would be very difficult when the business is your baby.

      Mr. Gates may be a billionaire, but will he ever just kick back and say, I'm going to the beach and I don't want to hear the word Microsoft for awhile.

      I think that would be a very difficult thing to do.

      God Bless and Happy New Year!

      Elmo
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10968192].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Raiser45
        Originally Posted by elmo033057 View Post

        I totally agree. Personally, I can't imagine running a business that huge, especially if it was my company that I had built from the ground up.

        At some point you're going to have to turn the reins over to someone else, and that would be very difficult when the business is your baby.

        Mr. Gates may be a billionaire, but will he ever just kick back and say, I'm going to the beach and I don't want to hear the word Microsoft for awhile.

        I think that would be a very difficult thing to do.

        God Bless and Happy New Year!

        Elmo
        I really started from scratch.

        I had no money to invest but if you never give up you can achieve everything you want.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10970146].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Raiser45 View Post

          I really started from scratch.

          I had no money to invest but if you never give up you can achieve everything you want.
          Please stop telling this to people. It is nothing more than a trite cliche and has absolutely no basis in reality.

          Frank
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10970395].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author DABK
            Pains me to agree with Frank, seeing he's an utter cynic and I'm and idealist of the first order, but stop it, it really ain't true and, if you stopped and looked at some of the people in your life, you'd find some who never gave up and still never got anywhere worth writing home about.

            Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

            Please stop telling this to people. It is nothing more than a trite cliche and has absolutely no basis in reality.

            Frank
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10970503].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
              Banned
              Originally Posted by DABK View Post

              Pains me to agree with Frank, seeing he's an utter cynic and I'm and idealist of the first order, but stop it, it really ain't true and, if you stopped and looked at some of the people in your life, you'd find some who never gave up and still never got anywhere worth writing home about.
              Please! I'm a cynical realist with a high degree of pragmatism and a dollop of sardonic wit. My high-level narcissism is just the cherry on top.

              I'm a very complicated man. lol

              Frank
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10970511].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author DABK
                I forgot about the narcissism. Mea culpa.

                Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

                Please! I'm a cynical realist with a high degree of pragmatism and a dollop of sardonic wit. My high-level narcissism is just the cherry on top.

                I'm a very complicated man. lol

                Frank
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10970519].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
                  Banned
                  Originally Posted by DABK View Post

                  I forgot about the narcissism. Mea culpa.
                  That's probably because I hide it so well. :-)

                  Frank
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10970545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author VeloceInternational
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10968609].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James747
    Its focus, consistency and hard work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10970343].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by James747 View Post

      Its focus, consistency and hard work.
      Having a good product or service goes a long way toward being successful.

      I'm becoming exhausted. :-(

      Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10970392].message }}

Trending Topics