Mandatory Requirements for EZA's Resource Box?

35 replies
Hi all,

I'm just posting my first articles on EZA and want to make a Hole-in-One with my first 10 articles (to get Platinum status). Can anyone advise if the following is mandatory with EZA?

I just stumbled across the following (which runs CONTRARY to the common advice of making your resource box look just like another natural paragraph in the article, and is the model ALL of my articles currently follow):

This is from EZA's own site on how to craft the perfect resource box:

4 Things Your Resource Box Must Include:
1. Your Full Name
2. Your Unique Selling Proposition
3. Call to Action
4. A Link to Your Website or Blog in Typical URL Form


Again, my question is "Is the above required" to get my first articles approved?

Thanks,
Kelly
#box #eza #mandatory #requirements #resource
  • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
    Kelly,

    I'm a Platinum Author there and my advice is to really take your time on the articles and do everything "by the book." That will help you achieve Platinum status without a long wait. You want zero spelling or grammar errors. That's big. And make darn sure every article is 100% original. If they even smell any copying or rewritten PLR in those first 10, you'll shoot yourself in the foot.

    In terms of the Resource Box, do precisely what they say in their material you posted above. Don't deviate. Once you get Platinum, THEN start following the advice some of us give about better Resource box tactics. You'll be ok at that point to play around a bit more.

    Hope that helps!
    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1226974].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marhelper
      Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

      Kelly,

      I'm a Platinum Author there and my advice is to really take your time on the articles and do everything "by the book." That will help you achieve Platinum status without a long wait. You want zero spelling or grammar errors. That's big. And make darn sure every article is 100% original. If they even smell any copying or rewritten PLR in those first 10, you'll shoot yourself in the foot.

      In terms of the Resource Box, do precisely what they say in their material you posted above. Don't deviate. Once you get Platinum, THEN start following the advice some of us give about better Resource box tactics. You'll be ok at that point to play around a bit more.

      Hope that helps!
      John

      I agree wholeheartedly. I am also a platinum author with over 700 articles with EZA.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1227002].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author teamind
      Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

      Kelly,

      I'm a Platinum Author there and my advice is to really take your time on the articles and do everything "by the book." That will help you achieve Platinum status without a long wait. You want zero spelling or grammar errors. That's big. And make darn sure every article is 100% original. If they even smell any copying or rewritten PLR in those first 10, you'll shoot yourself in the foot.

      In terms of the Resource Box, do precisely what they say in their material you posted above. Don't deviate. Once you get Platinum, THEN start following the advice some of us give about better Resource box tactics. You'll be ok at that point to play around a bit more.

      Hope that helps!
      John

      Hey John:
      Thanks much for setting the record straight. You just brought me to 100% conviction to take my time with this (vs. listening to the little devil on my other shoulder saying 'just post it, just post it the way it is, do it now, forget their silly details and just get out there').

      The more I've read on EZA in this and other forums, it seems it can really pay off in spades to hit 10 out of 10 right out of the gate. Otherwise, you have to write 25 approved articles to make "Plus"...sometimes never making Platinum, or pay nearly $600/year to get "Premium" membership.

      The conclusion I'm taking from all the replies is this: Taking time up front to build the right EZA foundation will allow me to be more creative with my articles later on. I can follow what all the gurus say about how to use EZA in IM later. Right now, though, I've got to feed EZA EXACTLY what it wants, first. It's the "give" then "take" that EZA talks about in their Author guidelines. That's the key.

      Thanks a million!
      Kelly
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1227306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author M Thompson
    Originally Posted by teamind View Post

    Hi all,


    4 Things Your Resource Box Must Include:
    1. Your Full Name
    2. Your Unique Selling Proposition
    3. Call to Action
    4. A Link to Your Website or Blog in Typical URL Form


    Again, my question is "Is the above required" to get my first articles approved?

    Thanks,
    Kelly

    I've got several thousand articles in EZA, and i can tell you my articles usually have just a call to action and some anchor text. There are a few sneaky things you can do with the resource box so that it doesn't look like a resource box ..but for now just get to platinum and get a ctr above 25%
    Signature


    If you are serious about online marketing come and Join our free community The Foundation
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1227015].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nickolie0990
    I generally do not use my name or pen names in my resource boxes, the formula that I use is this. First I state a fact around the content of the article, then I give them the answer in the free gift that you are giving away. So for example:

    Say your in the "Getting a Job" niche, the resource box would be something like this.

    "Did you know that the average person takes 9 months to find another job, can you afford to wait that long? In this free report I show you how to cut that time in half. Click here to download the free report."

    The point is to inspire curiosity in the reader. That just off the top of my head, also I would use the keyword for the anchor text. This will boost your SEO Rankings. Thats what I do with my bio boxes and I get around a 40%-60% CTR on average.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1227132].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IdeaLady
    There is a reason that EZA suggests putting your URL in the resource box as a URL (in addition to any anchor text links you use).

    There are people who use articles on their sites and do not copy the HTML. If so, and all you have is an anchor text link, your link may not appear when your article is used. However, if you put in your URL as http://MySite.com/, it will at least appear as text, and possibly as a link.
    Signature

    Cathy Stucker, http://www.IdeaLady.com/
    Get Content, Get Links - Free! http://BloggerLinkUp.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1227217].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author teamind
      Originally Posted by IdeaLady View Post

      There is a reason that EZA suggests putting your URL in the resource box as a URL (in addition to any anchor text links you use).

      There are people who use articles on their sites and do not copy the HTML. If so, and all you have is an anchor text link, your link may not appear when your article is used. However, if you put in your URL as http://MySite.com/, it will at least appear as text, and possibly as a link.

      IdeaLady:
      Excellent point on this particular bullet point. Thanks for bringing this up!
      Kelly
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1227268].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JoMo
      Originally Posted by IdeaLady View Post

      There is a reason that EZA suggests putting your URL in the resource box as a URL (in addition to any anchor text links you use).

      There are people who use articles on their sites and do not copy the HTML. If so, and all you have is an anchor text link, your link may not appear when your article is used. However, if you put in your URL as http://MySite.com/, it will at least appear as text, and possibly as a link.
      Is it ok to have 2 links in your resource box, 1 URL and 1 with anchor text, or does EZA only like 1 link in each box?


      -joel
      Signature

      Give Personalized Gift-Plaques for All of Those Special Occasions

      The Best Hand Safety Products for the Workplace or DIY's

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1227323].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author teamind
        Originally Posted by JoMo View Post

        Is it ok to have 2 links in your resource box, 1 URL and 1 with anchor text, or does EZA only like 1 link in each box?


        -joel

        Joel,

        EZA guidelines say" We do not accept articles that have the same ACTIVE link more than once. Do not submit duplicate URLs." It also says that you may have up to 2 active or inactive "self-serving" links in your Resource box.

        So, in a nutshell, you may have two active links in the Resource box, BUT each one must point to a different top level domain name (with or without anchor text).

        Cheers,
        Kelly
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1227363].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thatgirlJ
          Originally Posted by teamind View Post

          Joel,

          So, in a nutshell, you may have two active links in the Resource box, BUT each one must point to a different top level domain name (with or without anchor text).

          Cheers,
          Kelly
          Hi Kelly,

          Just to clarify this point, your resource box can have two self serving links -- even if they are pointing to the same domain name. (I believe the linking once per domain thing is strictly referring to the article itself, and those can't be self serving anyway) I have never submitted one with two different domains You should be fine doing it this way.

          Many people do one with anchor text and one without anchor text, pointing to the same domain. I've been experimenting lately based on Jeremy and Don's techniques, and get a great CTR with the same domain -- one with anchor text, and one saying "click here." One article out of my last batch even has a 100% CTR Pretty cool -- my average is around 40% though. If only they could all be 100%! :p
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1228247].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author teamind
            Originally Posted by Jenn Dize View Post

            Hi Kelly,

            Just to clarify this point, your resource box can have two self serving links -- even if they are pointing to the same domain name. (I believe the linking once per domain thing is strictly referring to the article itself, and those can't be self serving anyway) I have never submitted one with two different domains You should be fine doing it this way.

            Many people do one with anchor text and one without anchor text, pointing to the same domain. I've been experimenting lately based on Jeremy and Don's techniques, and get a great CTR with the same domain -- one with anchor text, and one saying "click here." One article out of my last batch even has a 100% CTR Pretty cool -- my average is around 40% though. If only they could all be 100%! :p
            Hey Jenn,

            Thanks for the good reply. Bryan Zimmerman also reported the same result. But, I believe he is a "Premium" member paying good money to EZA each year ...so I've wondered if he receives looser/preferential treatment on his links.

            Here's exactly what EZA says on this:
            1. Maximum of (2) "Self-Serving" active or inactive links/URLs to a website that you own, control, or have an interest in.
            2. Maximum of (2) active or inactive non-self serving links/URLs to a website that you do not own, control, or have an interest in which adds value to the article.
            3. Confine your self-serving links to your RESOURCE BOX.
            4. We do not accept articles that have the same ACTIVE link more than once. Do not submit duplicate URLs.
            So, you are saying that based on your experience, you CAN have the same ACTIVE link in your Resource box. And, that you believe this is true even before you reach Platinum status or pay for Premium membership?

            Thanks, Jenn!
            Kelly
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1228541].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author thatgirlJ
              Originally Posted by teamind View Post

              Hey Jenn,

              Thanks for the good reply. Bryan Zimmerman also reported the same result. But, I believe he is a "Premium" member paying good money to EZA each year ...so I've wondered if he receives looser/preferential treatment on his links.

              Here's exactly what EZA says on this:
              1. Maximum of (2) "Self-Serving" active or inactive links/URLs to a website that you own, control, or have an interest in.
              2. Maximum of (2) active or inactive non-self serving links/URLs to a website that you do not own, control, or have an interest in which adds value to the article.
              3. Confine your self-serving links to your RESOURCE BOX.
              4. We do not accept articles that have the same ACTIVE link more than once. Do not submit duplicate URLs.
              So, you are saying that based on your experience, you CAN have the same ACTIVE link in your Resource box. And, that you believe this is true even before you reach Platinum status or pay for Premium membership?

              Thanks, Jenn!
              Kelly
              Hi Kelly,

              I've been a member of EZA since fall of '07 (was just a Basic member then , and I've never, ever submitted two different domains in my resource box -- always two of the same one. I don't know of anyone who does I've also written articles and resource boxes as a ghostwriter for many clients and haven't linked theirs out to two different domains either. If you randomly click around on many of the EZA articles you'll see that most people don't either.

              To be honest, I'd never heard of this rule, and see how it can be confusing -- I'd write to Chris Knight if you're in doubt...but he always says that the Resource is our "take" ... the body of the article is where you *can* link out to other people's sites, just not more than once. (as a side note, I wouldn't do that because you want people's eyes to go straight to your own resource box.)

              I did see what you're talking about in the rules, and perhaps they should separate the rules for the body and the resource box to avoid confusion. There are many businesses, such as some of my SEO clients, who don't HAVE more than one website, so the rule wouldn't make sense for them. It hasn't been an issue though

              Bryan actually started more recently than I did (but he's MUCH more of an expert on article marketing than I am, the stinker -- and it wasn't long ago that he was a basic member too. It's not preferential treatment. Even paid members (I am one now) have to follow the rules to a T :p

              EDIT: I just submitted 7 articles to EZA linking twice to the same domain in my resource boxes, and they were all accepted. *shrug* an interesting dilemma, but not something I would worry about.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1228613].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author teamind
                Originally Posted by Jenn Dize View Post

                Hi Kelly,

                I've been a member of EZA since fall of '07 (was just a Basic member then ,

                Even paid members (I am one now) have to follow the rules to a T:p.

                Jenn,

                May I ask your motivations for becoming a Premium member? I know Bryan's reasons (probably ala Jeremy, etc.). Just curious about why, and if you are finding it to deliver a large ROI for you.

                Cheers,
                kelly
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1229793].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author rainyclayday
                  Hi Kelly,

                  A lot of people pay for the premium membership because you can schedule when you want your articles published. If you get them published at the very end of the day you could be on the "recently published" list of articles for the entire night or, if it's a Friday night, for the entire weekend. This can bring you a lot of traffic which in turn can help you get on the "most viewed" list.

                  And of course you get your articles published very fast too, which is important to many folks.

                  But, if you just write x number of articles every day without fail, you will eventually get to the point where you are getting them published daily anyway. And some will make their way to those lists with or without your help.

                  Hope that helps.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1230622].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author teamind
            Originally Posted by Jenn Dize View Post

            Hi Kelly,

            I've been experimenting lately based on Jeremy and Don's techniques, and get a great CTR with the same domain -- one with anchor text, and one saying "click here." One article out of my last batch even has a 100% CTR Pretty cool -- my average is around 40% though. If only they could all be 100%! :p

            Jenn,
            I'm not familiar with Jeremy and Don. Would like to know more! Is there a discussion or product link you can send me to?

            Thanks!
            Kelly
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1228585].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Richnana
    Ezine Articles has one of the most comprehensive training program available. They send out an official newsletter to spell out exactly what is required, what the accept etc. it is always wise to get the information you seek directly from the Horse's mouth as they say. There are verifiable EZINE article experts on this forum. but the ezine article website will tell you everything you need to know instantly.

    Good luck to you on your endeavors. wishing you much success in ezine marketing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1227374].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Franck Silvestre
    Kelly, don't forget that you can test wich of your anchor text got the more click. Just click on "URL clicks" in the sidebar in your EA account, and then, click the numbers.

    Here is what you need to do:

    1. Write several articles.

    2. Alternate two bio boxes

    3. Check the one who got the more click in your account

    4. Keep the winner and do this again

    Franck
    Signature
    Former Body Guard, Now REAL Traffic & List Building Coach
    >> HOT WSO: Six Figure Solo Sellers <<

    Winson Yeung said: "...Definitively A++ recommended WSO"
    Kevin Riley said: "Franck, glad to see you bringing out MORE and MORE GREAT stuff"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1227403].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author teamind
      Thanks Franck, and everyone else who offered up some great strategies. I'll definitely be trying all these once I can clear Platinum. Going Platinum is my singular goal at the moment. The rest will come soon after - with a little luck!

      Cheers,
      Kelly
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1228174].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Thompson
    Regarding platinum status - just submit good quality stuff. I got platinum status after 10 articles despite one having to be reworked slightly before approval.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1228192].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RebeccaL
    I never include my name.. it certainly isn't mandatory.
    Your name is already listed on the page, it would be a waste of space to put it in the resource box as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1228665].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rainyclayday
      Also, please do not get confused about the "top level domain" section of the rules where it says something about only being able to link to a top level domain. That is pertaining to redirecting and (unless you are redirecting from your domain) isn't anything you need to worry about. You can link to any part of your website in your resource box.

      The reason I mention this is I've seen lots of confusion over this from new people (and oldies too sometimes).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1228936].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author teamind
        Originally Posted by rainyclayday View Post

        Also, please do not get confused about the "top level domain" section of the rules where it says something about only being able to link to a top level domain. That is pertaining to redirecting and (unless you are redirecting from your domain) isn't anything you need to worry about. You can link to any part of your website in your resource box.

        The reason I mention this is I've seen lots of confusion over this from new people (and oldies too sometimes).
        Hey RainyClayDay,

        That is SUPER information to know - because you are dead on...I was wondering if I would be able to link to my site pages. It would only seem logical to be able to do so. However, EZA is EZA is EZA...and they dictate their own rules. So, big thanks for setting me straight on this subject!

        Cheers,
        Kelly
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1229760].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RebeccaL
    One good thing about Premium is that you can schedule your article to go live at 5pm on Friday and its probably got more chance of staying on the home page at that time. But I think they rotate these alot now.

    Until they drop the Premium price I'll be giving it a miss though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1231889].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LegitBlogger
    I have got Platinum level for my clients without adhering
    to the resource box requirement you posted here. What I
    have found that is MORE important is the QUALITY of
    the articles themselves!

    Just yesterday I got 2 of those that bought my sites
    platinum level by the sheer QUALITY of the articles
    submitted. The resource boxes didn't adhere to what you
    posted here,

    ,
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1231997].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author teamind
      Originally Posted by LegitBlogger View Post

      I have got Platinum level for my clients without adhering
      to the resource box requirement you posted here. What I
      have found that is MORE important is the QUALITY of
      the articles themselves!

      Just yesterday I got 2 of those that bought my sites
      platinum level by the sheer QUALITY of the articles
      submitted. The resource boxes didn't adhere to what you
      posted here,

      ,

      Intriguing angle on this discussion! Thanks for sharing this outcome. Sounds like if you just focus on the "give", the "take" doesn't really matter that much to them (within reason).

      Cheers,
      Kelly
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1234338].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gail Sober
    Here's another little tip. Don't let the word counter in the resource box editor fool ya. It may say 300 words max but what they really mean is keep it at 15% of your article.

    Just got this today. (had 13 articles in que with the same resource box)

    Your resource box is longer than we recommend. Please keep the size of your resource box so that it's no larger than 15% of your total article size and resubmit it for Editorial Review.
    Didn't want you to get all of your articles knocked back for something you may not even be aware of and ruin your chances for platinum status.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1234456].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author teamind
      Originally Posted by Gail Sober View Post

      Here's another little tip. Don't let the word counter in the resource box editor fool ya. It may say 300 words max but what they really mean is keep it at 15% of your article.

      Just got this today. (had 13 articles in que with the same resource box)



      Didn't want you to get all of your articles knocked back for something you may not even be aware of and ruin your chances for platinum status.
      Helpful tip, Gail. Not sure I ever would have caught that one myself.
      Kelly
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1250190].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1251430].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author teamind
          Oh, jeepers. I'm still waiting to hear back on my articles. So, I might get booted on that one. Thanks for this update.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1251778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Park
    Hi Kelly,

    Other than the resource box, it's important to keep your keyword
    density low like 2-2.5%. I was going for premium level and
    3 of my articles were rejected due to high density keywords.

    So I had to wait till I submit another 25 articles.

    Bummer, eh?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1234494].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author teamind
      Originally Posted by Joseph Park View Post

      Hi Kelly,

      Other than the resource box, it's important to keep your keyword
      density low like 2-2.5%. I was going for premium level and
      3 of my articles were rejected due to high density keywords.

      So I had to wait till I submit another 25 articles.

      Bummer, eh?

      Hi Joseph,
      I am a little worried about that as I kept my main keyword at low density, but naturally needed to use many other variations throughout. Still waiting to hear the result, and hoping I can go Plat without having to go 25.

      Cheers,
      Kelly
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1250188].message }}

Trending Topics