In my 8 ½ months as a member of this forum and 450 'odd' posts, I'm finally getting to grips with how this forum works, and I suspect I've still a way to go. I love the place, get a lot out of it and it has helped my business grow, but I need to effectively and efficiently manage how I use it. I came up with some rules.
These have developed from my experiences and as such I am simply making personal observations as to how I use this forum. I've found it works for me - you may be different, good, I'd like to hear what you do too. I thought I'd share my rules just in case someone else found them useful. They are written in the first person.
Peter's Rules & Observations
1. This place is here primarily to help people make more money - remember that!(I could stop there, but I feel the need to expand...)
2. Approach the forum with a mindset of 'contribution'. This may be in direct reference to Rule #1 or just as a good community member. Remember the phrase, 'Givers Gain'.
3. Read posts of people I've learned to respect, admire and listen to. Join in where appropriate. This is good networking and can often increase my knowledge of IM and business.They're a work-in-progress, but they seem to be serving me well just now.
4. When I've learned something, log it and act on it as and when appropriate.
5. Squeeze as much out of the War Room as possible and contribute when able.
6. I can get addicted to this place. I mustn't kid myself that spending hours answering and reading posts is always productive. Refer to Rule #1 and think about it in terms of a return of investment (ROI).
7. Don't be afraid to voice my opinion. I won't always be agreed with and I won't always be right, but I need to be true to myself.
8. Be tolerant of newbies and folk I don't agree with. Stand my ground, yes, but don't waste effort if it either contravenes Rule #1 too much or isn't funny.
9. It's easy to get caught up in discussions in the Main Forum that have no real outcome and, when examined, have no real purpose and contravene Rule #1. Don't do it! (unless they're really funny)
10. Don't start any discussions in the Main Forum that have no real outcome, no real purpose and contravene Rule #1 (unless they're funny!)
11. I'm allowed to have fun as long as Rule #1 is not broken too much.
12. If I've got something unrelated to Internet marketing to say, post it in the Off Topic forum.