Ranking new domain from old domain purchased 20 years ago

10 replies
I have an old domian running since 1998 now I purchase new domain of same niche and redirect my old domain on new . My old domain is ranking but I want to rank new domain what i do??
#domain #rank
  • Profile picture of the author vishwa
    Use the same thing which you have done for your old domain to rank.
    Signature

    Technology Blog@ TechieByet.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11163704].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Blog Virals
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11163707].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Robert Trevethan
      I'm in the same situation as the original poster.

      Using my site as an example, I have about 6 articles up and am fresh out of the gates. If I continue producing more quality SEO content, rankings will happen? Or are there more factors that Ryan and I should consider when ranking brand new websites? Do subdomains have any separate advantages over new domains or are they the same for all intents and purposes as I suspect?

      Thank you if you or anyone else knows.

      Your name is Blog Virals by the way, can I see your blog? What do you specialize in? I'd like to learn more!

      My site is focus on supporting positive living, life coaching, travel/lifestyle/relationship advice blog, with the main demographic being females 18-40 primarily.

      Thank you!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11163776].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11163769].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Robert Trevethan
      Just so I understand better... Let's say you have old.com and want to redirect people who go to old.com to go to new.com instead. Is that what you mean? In that case, does new.com "absorb" all SEO and ranking from old.com? Does new.com begin appearing where old.com would normally appear in rankings?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11163779].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steve B
        Originally Posted by Robert Trevethan View Post

        . . . does new.com "absorb" all SEO and ranking from old.com? Does new.com begin appearing where old.com would normally appear in rankings?

        No and no.

        Today's search engines are very sophisticated and "intelligent." They know when a new domain comes online, when a new owner takes over, or when traffic is diverted from one site to another.

        IMO, too many people believe old myths about the advantages of an older and dropped domains. Google and other engines rank so that their users will have the best search experience possible. Any previous "authority" or rankings won't be given or "absorbed" by new sites that don't deserve the attention.

        Steve
        Signature

        Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
        SteveBrowneDirect

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11165276].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

          . Any previous "authority" or rankings won't be given or "absorbed" by new sites that don't deserve the attention.

          Steve
          The authority of incoming links to the old site WILL BE be absorbed into the new site. 301 redirects are an accepted by google practice.

          https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/93633?hl=en
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11165295].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        Originally Posted by Robert Trevethan View Post

        Just so I understand better... Let's say you have old.com and want to redirect people who go to old.com to go to new.com instead. Is that what you mean? In that case, does new.com "absorb" all SEO and ranking from old.com? Does new.com begin appearing where old.com would normally appear in rankings?
        The ranking is not absorbed and there is no guarantee the new site will appear where the old one was. What is redirected from Google's viewpoint is the incoming links to the old site which are a ranking factor. A good deal (but not 100%) of the old sites links will boost the new site eventually.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11165294].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author parelcreative
    The best way is 301 permanent redirection, through this new.com will get all the traffic of old one and the ranking will increase.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11164971].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ryanalexender
      Perfect Answer i searched on Moz I found same answer there.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11166619].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
    Originally Posted by ryanalexender View Post

    I have an old domian running since 1998 now I purchase new domain of same niche and redirect my old domain on new . My old domain is ranking but I want to rank new domain what i do??
    You couldn't have done the redirect very long ago since a permanent redirect means that Google cannot crawl the old site any longer. its not an overnight process (the old site will begin dropping out of the index in a few weeks) so you will have to wait but a good portion of the link strength to the old site will soon be counted as going to the new site.

    However if content is different then ranking is not guaranteed.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11165290].message }}

Trending Topics