Google Sidewiki Alerts...Legitimate Google Sidewiki Loophole :)

32 replies
Warriors,
With all the buzz about SideWiki these days... I thought it fitting to show you a way to have Google alert you when publically available sidewiki posts are added to it's index...and Google is ranking these public sidewiki comments really quickly!

Using Google Alerts, we can actually have Google notify us as soon as a sidewiki comment is indexed for your domain...

Here is the code to add to the Google Alerts setup:
site:http://www.google.com/sidewiki/entry yourdomain.com

Now...that is going to alert you when a sidewiki comment is indexed (and most likely ranked) for one of your domains...

UPDATE: This is a tool that will allow you to track an entire domain's SideWiki entries via RSS: http://www.sidewikirss.com/

Hope this helps,
Jack Duncan
#alertslegitimate #google #google sidewiki #loophole #side wiki #sidewiki
  • Profile picture of the author radhika
    So I have to add this whole string?

    site:http://www.google.com/sidewiki/entry_mydomain.com

    At
    Google Alerts

    In 'Search term' textbox?

    .
    Signature
    Follow up Autoresponder PRO :: 33% Discount!!
    FREE Upgrades! IMPROVED Email Deliverability!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238068].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jack Duncan
      Correct...except leave off the _ between "entry" your domain name .com
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238074].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jack Duncan
        Note: This is just for Google Indexed Sidewiki comments...

        These are SideWiki comments that Google is now ranking and DO NOT require anyone to have the Google Toolbar to be read...they are published to the Public At Large...This is where Google simply iFrames your webpage and then posts the SideWiki comment to the left of the page with an advertisement to download SideWiki...

        This may even be a DMCA violation...not sure how the law has come down on iFraming websites...but Google is essentially indexing their SideWiki entries while iFraming YOUR CONTENT in a way to promote their new tool...
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238082].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Aronya
          Originally Posted by Jack Duncan View Post

          Google is essentially indexing their SideWiki entries while iFraming YOUR CONTENT
          ...turning the entire SERP into one large collection of ads.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238090].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author GarrieWilson
            Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

            lol ... I love this. Actually, now that I'm using a script to block it I welcome the spammers and competitors and hope they tear it up.
            It's blocked? Works for me at your sites.
            Signature
            Screw You, NameCheap!
            $1 Off NameSilo Domain Coupons:

            SAVEABUCKDOMAINS & DOLLARDOMAINSAVINGS
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238215].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
              Originally Posted by GarrieWilson View Post

              It's blocked? Works for me at your sites.
              Agreed,

              The scripts may block people from viewing the sidewiki coments while on your
              site but they don't stop G from posting the results in the SE.

              Have a Great Day!
              Michael
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238248].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author GarrieWilson
                Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post

                Agreed,

                The scripts may block people from viewing the sidewiki coments while on your
                site but they don't stop G from posting the results in the SE.

                Have a Great Day!
                Michael
                I read the comments at the site. The blocker doesnt seem to be working now.

                The WF is showing them now too.

                Google probably fixed the bug that allowed it to be blocked.
                Signature
                Screw You, NameCheap!
                $1 Off NameSilo Domain Coupons:

                SAVEABUCKDOMAINS & DOLLARDOMAINSAVINGS
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238256].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author admin
                  Administrator
                  Originally Posted by GarrieWilson View Post

                  I read the comments at the site. The blocker doesnt seem to be working now.

                  The WF is showing them now too.

                  Google probably fixed the bug that allowed it to be blocked.

                  Looks like they have...
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238357].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Bev Clement
                  Originally Posted by GarrieWilson View Post

                  I read the comments at the site. The blocker doesnt seem to be working now.

                  The WF is showing them now too.

                  Google probably fixed the bug that allowed it to be blocked.
                  I just enabled the toolbar, and the sidewiki here is showing no entries for me. Am I missing something ... well apart from the obvious :rolleyes:
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238578].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author GarrieWilson
                    Originally Posted by Bev Clement View Post

                    I just enabled the toolbar, and the sidewiki here is showing no entries for me. Am I missing something ... well apart from the obvious :rolleyes:
                    That you didn't try with IE?

                    It's flakey w/ IE anyway. You can't scroll and some other "stuff"
                    Signature
                    Screw You, NameCheap!
                    $1 Off NameSilo Domain Coupons:

                    SAVEABUCKDOMAINS & DOLLARDOMAINSAVINGS
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238628].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                    Originally Posted by Bev Clement View Post

                    I just enabled the toolbar, and the sidewiki here is showing no entries for me. Am I missing something ... well apart from the obvious :rolleyes:
                    Same here although I do notice more of a jitter tonight every time a page is loaded
                    Signature

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238630].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Catalin Ionescu
                  Originally Posted by GarrieWilson View Post

                  I read the comments at the site. The blocker doesnt seem to be working now.

                  The WF is showing them now too.

                  Google probably fixed the bug that allowed it to be blocked.
                  I just re-downloaded the toolbar from Google both for IE 7 and Firefox 3.5 in the event they had a last minute update.

                  Tried several sites that have my blocker installed, including Warrior Forum, and saw the blocker working as it should.

                  No SideWiki comments appeared for me, for addresses I verified using another method and do have comments.

                  If you Garrie - or anyone else for that matter - is seeing my blocker not working you mind sending me a PM with the exact URL you tried, your browser version and anything else you may think it's relevant so I can duplicate the problem?
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1239086].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Catalin Ionescu
          Michael,

          I am afraid you either misread or misunderstood Jack's statement.

          But truth is Google does in fact use iframes around your own site each time someone follows an indexed SideWiki comment from their search results.

          Here's what he said:

          Originally Posted by Jack Duncan View Post

          These are SideWiki comments that Google is now ranking and DO NOT require anyone to have the Google Toolbar to be read...they are published to the Public At Large...This is where Google simply iFrames your webpage and then posts the SideWiki comment to the left of the page with an advertisement to download SideWiki...
          Everything is correct in the quoted message.

          If you follow the next link, which I have copied and pasted from their search results for your convenience, you will be able to verify it for yourself.

          Google Sidewiki entry about Google

          Not sure if you're the technical type, but if you look at the source code of that page, you will find the <iframe> tags in it.

          Hope this helps :-)


          Sincerely,
          Catalin Ionescu
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1239584].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
            Catalin, how is it different from Third Voice? Is it the combination of application and iframe?

            Third Voice Trails Off....
            Signature

            "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1239670].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
            Originally Posted by Catalin Ionescu View Post


            Not sure if you're the technical type, but if you look at the source code of that page, you will find the <iframe> tags in it.
            Yep clear as day. No one was talking about the plugin. We are talking about when the sidewiki is indexed in Google's results. Google puts your page along with sidewiki comments and combines them into one page view so that viewers without the plugin can see the comments and the page in one.
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1239889].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
            Originally Posted by Catalin Ionescu View Post

            Michael,

            I am afraid you either misread or misunderstood Jack's statement.

            But truth is Google does in fact use iframes around your own site each time someone follows an indexed SideWiki comment from their search results.

            Here's what he said:



            Everything is correct in the quoted message.

            If you follow the next link, which I have copied and pasted from their search results for your convenience, you will be able to verify it for yourself.

            Google Sidewiki entry about Google

            Not sure if you're the technical type, but if you look at the source code of that page, you will find the <iframe> tags in it.

            Hope this helps :-)


            Sincerely,
            Catalin Ionescu
            Yes, I misunderstood what he was describing. I thought he was talking about the actual sidewiki app itself in the browser. Of course this is NOT an iframe, but an extension of the client itself.

            My bad and my apologies.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1239975].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thegamecat
    Geocities 2.0
    Signature

    Flying

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WritingMadwoman
    Thank you Jack! I actually posted about this a few days ago and wondered if it was possible but I wasn't sure how to format it. You can bet I'll be doing this for my sites because I sure don't have time to scan each page myself daily.

    Wendy


    Originally Posted by Jack Duncan View Post

    Warriors,
    With all the buzz about SideWiki these days... I thought it fitting to show you a way to have Google alert you when publically available sidewiki posts are added to it's index...and Google is ranking these public sidewiki comments really quickly!

    Using Google Alerts, we can actually have Google notify us as soon as a sidewiki comment is indexed for your domain...

    Here is the code to add to the Google Alerts setup:
    site:Not Found yourdomain.com

    Now...that is going to alert you when a sidewiki comment is indexed (and most likely ranked) for one of your domains...

    Hope this helps,
    Jack Duncan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    This is the thing, I DONT WANT TO BE ALERTED. I dont want to have to waste my time with this crap full stop.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238416].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GarrieWilson
      Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post

      This is the thing, I DONT WANT TO BE ALERTED. I dont want to have to waste my time with this crap full stop.
      I just spent 45 minutes adding my sites.

      Time that should have been spent watching tv. :p
      Signature
      Screw You, NameCheap!
      $1 Off NameSilo Domain Coupons:

      SAVEABUCKDOMAINS & DOLLARDOMAINSAVINGS
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238452].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
      Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post

      This is the thing, I DONT WANT TO BE ALERTED. I dont want to have to waste my time with this crap full stop.
      If you set up a Google Alert every time you put up a new web page, and convince others to do the same, I wonder how long it would be before Google's servers buckle under the pressure?
      Signature

      Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

      Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238515].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    I guess I must have screwed up somewhere because I just added a site and tested with no alert notification.

    I have bigger fish to fry today - Im outta here.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238519].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      Fair warning:
      Once the word is out about this application, Google might update their toolbar to "fix" it. This could be happening 3 days from now,

      I am praying now for my man to come through for us. He was spot on about this.

      (this quote taken from elsewhere on the forum)
      Signature

      "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author linkedinlincoln
    I am getting so tired of trying to keep up with Google on this kinda stuff. Just from a "philosophical" standpoint, the internet is about information, not content. And there is a difference. Information increases understanding and as such is measurable.

    And content, for the most part is just "noise" And now the information publishers that have essentially built the internet that google feeds off of to produce billion dollar profits are going to have to compete with the noise.

    I spend a lot of time making sure that the information on my sites is both informative and effective, and now I have to worry about what other people, who aren't part of my decision making process are going to say about it? Nice.

    Thanks Google

    -Kathy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238550].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheRichJerksNet
    As I stated before js and hash numbers is not the way to go .... As for google alerts, I have better things to do then chase down 100,000's of pages and clicking on reports. This is what google wants you to do... USE THE SYSTEM!

    James
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238599].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1238635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
    Google is NOT iframing the site.

    That is simply a false statement.

    They are legally using the API of the browser with the Google toolbar to open a separate browser window.

    It is not a DMCA violation.

    You guys need to check your facts before spreading mistruths. It only hurts your position.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1239548].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Catalin Ionescu
    No Jill. The biggest difference is the brand name behind it.

    Third Voice were a small group and didn't have the muscle to push their idea to millions of users, neatly packed in something they already use -- their toolbar. Google does.

    There have been attempts to create applications similar to SideWiki in the past. They all either ended up in courts either bankrupt. But again, none of them were Google.

    As for the iframe legal argument with DMCA, I'm sorry but I do not have the expertise to comment.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1239686].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TheRichJerksNet
      Originally Posted by Catalin Ionescu View Post

      No Jill. The biggest difference is the brand name behind it.

      Third Voice were a small group and didn't have the muscle to push their idea to millions of users, neatly packed in something they already use -- their toolbar. Google does.

      There have been attempts to create applications similar to SideWiki in the past. They all either ended up in courts either bankrupt. But again, none of them were Google.

      As for the iframe legal argument with DMCA, I'm sorry but I do not have the expertise to comment.
      I agree that is the huge difference, all these others do not have the push that google has with an already set base of millions of users.

      For anyone worried about "other" sites, if it comes down to it I am sure Catalin, myself, or other developers will create a solution to block them also. People are not going to stand for their rights being taken away, these are our sites and we do in fact have the right to protect them.

      You see some claim the best solution is to post nasty comments on sidewiki, use sidewiki to track comments, and etc .. I disagree, Google wants you to use their evil system and when you do such things as this, then you are using their system. The best way is not to use their system at all and that includes their toolbar which does in fact have some serious issues.

      James
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1239717].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1239996].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lyn Woodring
    If I understand correctly this a part of google toolbar. If it is then could a code be wrote on your site that detects the toolbar? And if all that can be done could you then have a code that will display a warning alert that the user is using a toolbar that directly violates copywright or your sites TOS and to view your content click here to remove this toolbar!
    I'm not a lawyer but I think there is a concept in law that is defacto law. That bascially say it has full effect of law if not challenged. So whether technically it is a violation or not if enough users saw this warning often enough they would remove it.And make it easy for them to do put the removal tool right in the script that detects it in the 1st place.
    I don't know if any of these suggestions could be done but it seems a simple way to handle it.
    After all at the very least you do have the right to set the terms to view your site.
    I maybe wrong on all counts. Just some thoughts.
    -Lyn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1240087].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Catalin Ionescu
      Originally Posted by Lyn Woodring View Post

      If it is then could a code be wrote on your site that detects the toolbar? And if all that can be done could you then have a code that will display a warning alert that the user is using a toolbar that directly violates copywright or your sites TOS and to view your content click here to remove this toolbar!
      All this has already been done :-)

      Sincerely,
      Catalin Ionescu
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1240164].message }}

Trending Topics