Forums vs Facebook Groups?

by positivethoughts 11 replies
Hi all,

I am wondering whether it would be better to create a forum on a given website as opposed to using a Facebook Group. Most users would probably prefer the latter as it ties in with all their other Facebook activity.

Forums used to be really valuable on many websites back in the day, but is it worth including one or having both a forum and a FB group?
#main internet marketing discussion forum #facebook #forums #groups
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author chrisniel
    Go with FB group buddy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11202010].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webmarke
    Go with the Forum if you want create several different discussions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11202194].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I would go with the forum. Imagine... people willing to create new content for your website day after day without them even realizing it. Plus, they benefit tremendously from the opinions of your's and other members' advice.

    With a facebook group, you still have to attract people there. Plus when they leave posts and create content... they're are creating content for facebook - not your site. Plus on your forum, you can put whatever kind of advertising that you want on there.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11202556].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sid Hale
      Originally Posted by positivethoughts View Post

      I am wondering whether it would be better to create a forum on a given website as opposed to using a Facebook Group. Most users would probably prefer the latter as it ties in with all their other Facebook activity.
      ...and what activity is that?

      Originally Posted by positivethoughts View Post

      Forums used to be really valuable on many websites back in the day, but is it worth including one or having both a forum and a FB group?
      How many Facebook groups did YOU go to to ask this question?


      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      I would go with the forum. Imagine... people willing to create new content for your website day after day without them even realizing it. Plus, they benefit tremendously from the opinions of your's and other members' advice.

      With a facebook group, you still have to attract people there. Plus when they leave posts and create content... they're are creating content for facebook - not your site. Plus on your forum, you can put whatever kind of advertising that you want on there.
      The only one making money off the advertising in a Facebook group is... Facebook.

      Besides the advertising freedom you get with your own forum, you can organize the content in various categories, allow "threads" of related posts, and even designate any part(s) of the forum as "premium" and charge a monthly fee for access to that premium content.

      With your own forum, you set the rules rather than having someone else setting the rules for you.
      Signature

      Sid Hale
      Coming Soon... Rapid Action Profits (Pro)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11202978].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author simplio
    Both are very important but nowadays facebook is very essential and active so go with facebook groups
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11202696].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author roberto830
    Hi, Forum be better i think.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11202728].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vishwa
    Both are good and have tremendous opportunity to promote things online. Forums is a great place to solve your queries by engaging yourself in an active communication with various members. Facebook groups is also very helpful to generate sales and leads.
    Signature
    Imbloggingtips:- Blogging Tips & Tricks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11202818].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sharon Jones
    Depends on your expectations from a user. If you want them to engage momentarily then you can go for facebook or do you want them to stick around and engage in long discussions if yes, then you should choose forums. I hope it answers your question.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11202819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    I am inclined to say FB. Just from what I have experienced and from observation. Although Randall does bring up some good points
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11202901].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
    Despite other pros and cons you may hear, you have to consider your audience.

    If your market is people that buy 747 airplanes, they may or may not spend a lot of time on FB for business purposes.

    Likewise, if your market is people in bad relationships or disgruntled employees or similar where they may be talking about their partners or employers in a negative way, you may not want to do that on FB because of privacy issues.

    Mark

    Edit: Also look into ease of use issues as far as browsing, sorting, printing, searching, and backing up content. Even something simple like adding formatting such as underline or bold to a post can't be done in FB.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11202986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shafiul Azam DU
    Both the ways are doing excessively good. As facebook as 1000 million viewers. so no way to say it would not work.
    on the other hand forum help to make diversified portfolio.
    I have been using both of them for my website. and i am getting better result.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11203095].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics