I started out wanting to write my own reviews for an Amazon affiliate site, foolishly thinking it would be easy money. But then I read about SEO, Backlinking, Niches, affiliate marketing vs e-commerce, dropshipping. Now I'm kind of at a loss. I have to start because it seems like the only way I can really learn.
Here are my questions:
- I have a niche affiliate site idea with some competition (quite a bit really) but I can target some keywords that aren't being mined by the larger review sites.
- I have another idea for a kid centred version of the same niche...Do I combine the two together, one section for the niche and the other for the kid part of the niche? Or create two separate sites?
- I read that affiliate marketing is a chump's game and you're better off making your own e-commerce site. Considering how new I am at this and how little capital I have to begin with ( about $250 to begin with) I'm wondering if I can change my affiliate review site to an e-commerce site later on?
- realistically how long will it take for my site to even be recognised by Google? I've been afraid to start without having a lot of content, but maybe I should just start with the content I have now and slowly build and edit the site. The holidays are coming and we know that's the peak internet shopping time, have I missed that money-making boat?
- Finally, I have another micro micro niche idea, it's in the beauty product industry and a lot of the top ranking sites are large physical/e-commerce/medical sites, I have some really good long tail keywords I think I can rank well at, and maybe start off as review affiliate then transition to e-commerce later. The product is really cheap, but people buy it all the time, and there's a real market for people trying to solve a specific problem with this product that hasn't been properly capitalized on. The only thing that puts me off this venture is that as an affiliate I stand to make very little money unless I generate a lot of high converting traffic...
I have a lot more questions but I think these are enough for now (don't want to bombard you with them). Ultimately I'm full of uncertainty but I think that's just how it's going to be for my first time at this. I'll keep reading but if I don't get started I probably never will.
I'd be really grateful if you big IM brains could help me out, I've done a lot of reading but now I need human input.