CASE STUDY -- How I built a profitable amazon affiliate niche site

37 replies
The project started about 2 months ago. First, I found a low competition niche. It's pretty simple. You just browse the 3rd or 4th tier categories on Amazon and find out some interesting products. Use keyword tool to find out some keywords with about 3000-5000 searches per month(US). Usually your target keyword should be best... or...review. For example, best meditation chairs, meditation chairs review. Then enter your target keyword into google and analyze the top10 results. Use OSE or Ahrefs to analyze the link profile of the pages. The weaker the link profile, the easier the page to beat, right? One of the best signs is that there are already weak pages in top 10, such as a niche site, a youtube video, a forum post and so on. Then you can be quite sure that it's a low competition niche.

After I found a niche, I hired an US writer to write some review articles for me. She wrote 10 high quality articles to compare different products on Amazon in my niche. Each article has about 1000 words. Then I built a wordpress blog and posted the articles.

One thing I forgot to mention, I bought an expired domain for the site. It's an old domain with some backlinks in the health niche.(my niche site is also in the health niche). So this domain is perfect for me. My thought was I could get a competition advantage at the beginning by using this domain. So my site already had some backlinks and authority when I started to build the site. And then It was indexed and got in the google top 100 for several keywords very quickly.

The next thing of course should be making my google ranking higher. So I built some backlinks. One of the easiest ways is to do guest posting. I contacted some bloggers. 4 of them replied, but 3 bloggers asked for money to get my articles published. So I only get 1 guest post link. Paid link can be a choice, but I was not interested.

Then I tried another technique---infographic link building. This is a great method. You can use the same infographic to get backlinks again and again. You don't have to write many articles to get backlinks like you do guest posting. And people are often interested in this kind of content. Because in some niches, there are not many infographics. It's a content gap!

It's pretty simple to do this. You just find some pages that has already linked to some similar resources. Then you email the site owners. Your infographic is similar to the resources they linked to on their pages. So they will be interested in linking to your infographic, right?

So I sent outreach emails to some site owners in my niche. I didn't send many emails, less 100. And two people linked to my infographic. One of them gave me over 50 links, so the link appeared on many pages of her site. This site passed so much link juice to my site! These links are very high quality. Because they are from 2 authorities in the same niche as my site. Relevancy is the New PR.

Now the site has 59 backlinks according to Ahrefs. And it's ranking in google top 100 for over 170 keywords. Ranking in 4th or 5th page of google for some keywords with over 1000 monthly searches.
#affiliate #amazon #built #case #niche #profitable #site #study—how
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Nice case study of a plan that should work.

    Odds are, though, that few people will actually follow your outline. They'd rather grab a Clickbank product and hire someone on Fiverr to send bot traffic to their affiliate link, then come here and whine about traffic not converting.

    But for someone willing to put in the time and actually do the work (darn, there's that four-letter word again)., this has the earmarks of a winner.

    One thing you forgot to mention, though, is the actual traffic a good guest posting program can draw. Note - I said 'draw', not 'drive'.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11233911].message }}
    • Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      Nice case study of a plan that should work.

      Odds are, though, that few people will actually follow your outline. They'd rather grab a Clickbank product and hire someone on Fiverr to send bot traffic to their affiliate link, then come here and whine about traffic not converting.

      But for someone willing to put in the time and actually do the work (darn, there's that four-letter word again)., this has the earmarks of a winner.

      One thing you forgot to mention, though, is the actual traffic a good guest posting program can draw. Note - I said 'draw', not 'drive'.
      Yes. If you write a really good article and guest post on a big website with a lot of traffic, of course you can get tons of high quality traffic. And the link is so valuable.

      I think the reason why many people can't take action is the wrong mindset. They experienced some failures before, then they hesitate to take actions because they want to avoid failures. The right mindset is accepting failures and learning from them. You keep trying and accept all the failures. You don't expect fast success. You don't expect a success without any failure. Just keep trying.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234291].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Iamthetwo
        Originally Posted by fearlesspioneer View Post

        Yes. If you write a really good article and guest post on a big website with a lot of traffic, of course you can get tons of high quality traffic. And the link is so valuable.

        I think the reason why many people can't take action is the wrong mindset. They experienced some failures before, then they hesitate to take actions because they want to avoid failures. The right mindset is accepting failures and learning from them. You keep trying and accept all the failures. You don't expect fast success. You don't expect a success without any failure. Just keep trying.
        I agree. Also people expect results way too fast. People put plans into action expecting results in weeks. The reality is results come in 6 months plus in most cases. Even paid advertising that is supposedly instant can take time to get the right ads working and the right sales page conversions. I think if people would just think much longer term then the disappointment would not set in so quick and they would not give up.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11237608].message }}
  • I would like to share this to my network. If that is okay with you.

    Kevin Douglas Berg
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11233957].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Kevin Douglas Berg View Post

      I would like to share this to my network. If that is okay with you.

      Kevin Douglas Berg
      Yes, go ahead.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234282].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fated82
    You said profitable, so how much are u making from that site after 2 months?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234001].message }}
    • Originally Posted by fated82 View Post

      You said profitable, so how much are u making from that site after 2 months?
      Unfortunately my Amazon affiliate account was suspended a few days ago. So I can't make money from the site. I sold some sites to people before, and maybe I forgot to delete my Amazon affiliate links. The new site owner did something wrong, but my account was suspended!

      I have decided to sell the site. I guess it's my only choice.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234286].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author agmccall
        Originally Posted by fearlesspioneer View Post

        Unfortunately my Amazon affiliate account was suspended a few days ago. So I can't make money from the site..
        How much was it making before it was suspended

        al
        Signature

        It is true that money can not buy happiness, But it is more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234995].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Richard1k
    Thanks for sharing, It'll helpful with my site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234560].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IWillBeACPAGod
    How many of the top 10 results do you think should be weak for you to try? Or just if any are week we can try?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234564].message }}
    • Originally Posted by IWillBeACPAGod View Post

      How many of the top 10 results do you think should be weak for you to try? Or just if any are week we can try?
      1-2 weak page is enough.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234692].message }}
  • I would like to look at this as one big Ad for your signature now had you turn that off well you could take this as real case study

    I know I get some crap for my post but hey I call them as i see them

    Jason
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234581].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by Regional Warrior View Post

      I would like to look at this as one big Ad for your signature now had you turn that off well you could take this as real case study

      I know I get some crap for my post but hey I call them as i see them

      Jason
      You're just keep it really jase , and much appreciated

      Nice Forums that are squeaky clean
      Well at least that's what we're shooting for lol
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234659].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Regional Warrior View Post

      I would like to look at this as one big Ad for your signature now had you turn that off well you could take this as real case study

      I know I get some crap for my post but hey I call them as i see them

      Jason
      What do you think of this thread, another ad? And this thread?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234690].message }}
      • Originally Posted by fearlesspioneer View Post

        What do you think of this thread, another ad? And this thread?
        I have looked at the threads and I guess they are in the right sub forum hey maybe you could asked one of the nice mods to move yours there!

        I can see that you are upset that someone had the gal to call you out on the case study but my reason was for the newbies on here that would in most cases PM or even asked how much

        A lot of newbies like myself have seen this before so you are not the only one to be called out

        If you had turned off the signature none of this would be going on and you would not be feeling bad
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11235185].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Regional Warrior View Post

          I have looked at the threads and I guess they are in the right sub forum hey maybe you could asked one of the nice mods to move yours there!

          I can see that you are upset that someone had the gal to call you out on the case study but my reason was for the newbies on here that would in most cases PM or even asked how much

          A lot of newbies like myself have seen this before so you are not the only one to be called out

          If you had turned off the signature none of this would be going on and you would not be feeling bad
          Mike's point of view makes more sense. Most of the members here have some intent of promoting their products or service in their signature links when they post on this forum. Any post they write.

          If you want this forum to be completely clean, I think all the members with signature links should remove their signatures or remove the links.

          My thread is not a sales letter, not an ad. Did you find any call to action in my thread? It's real case study which can be helpful for some people here. My thread is not different from other threads on this forum.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11235359].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author akansh 2407
    hi how to start
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    hi how to start
    Not by spamming if you want to be here for long.
    Signature

    Saving one dog will not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.
    ***
    On the outside, everything is fine. But deep down, inside my boot, my sock is slipping down.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234672].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    I have decided to sell the site. I guess it's my only choice.
    Did you decide that before or after starting this thread?
    Signature

    Saving one dog will not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.
    ***
    On the outside, everything is fine. But deep down, inside my boot, my sock is slipping down.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234675].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    What do you think of
    I think one is from 2015 (different mods) and one from 2012 (different owner) and both are irrelevant.

    Would have been smarter to wait a few days to announce loss of your Amazon acct - rather than a few hours. It turned a decent case study into a sales page complete with signature link ...which made the case study questionable to some of us.
    Signature

    Saving one dog will not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.
    ***
    On the outside, everything is fine. But deep down, inside my boot, my sock is slipping down.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
    ROFL...

    Guy puts up a nice little case study of something that is working for A LOT OF PEOPLE and theres all this talk about ads because he doesn't have a post count and from people with big ole CLICK HERE red signs In their sigs (but that keeps the forum clean?)

    Lighten up guys. We are a group of marketers but egad everyone gets their non mod radars up when someone might be selling something in their sig (meanwhile many of the top posters spout sigs - yes often related to what they post - so whose fooling who?)

    So since I don't have a sig (for the moment) let me help out the OP

    YES - this strategy works and works well. I have had multiple customers in the Amazon field. Last year one of my good friends flipped one for as I recall about $20,000 at Empire. He held it for about 6 months before selling it to get a rock for an engagement to his sweetheart. Between that and the income he made while holding it before he sold it he added $30,000+ to his income for the year.

    In particular the idea of getting an expired domain with existing incoming links works gangbuster for speeding up the process.

    Now this should take some time in keyword and amazon product research to be most effective and yeah generally you need to hold onto it for more than two months but ahem....

    every day people post some general fluff business articles (that gives no actionable strategy) and get loads of thanks from their friends but here is a thread with actual in the trenches PRACTICAL non sermon information that just about anyone can do but because ...lol... a marketer might have a slight marketing thought in his sig on A MARKETING FORUM he is getting attacked.

    Fine then post your pretty straightforward step by step system that anyone can do from scratch and then flip for $30,000 in a year year because you might be unaware marketers but TON loads of people are doing this (although in fairness the SEO needed to really make it ramp was not in this post).

    We all await your answer....or the sound of chirping crickets

    The case study is legit. FACT. The information matches what I and others are doing and have seen done many times.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    It doesn't happen all that often, but I agree with Mike Anthony.

    Ignore the sig, and it's the kind of step by step case study a lot of people clamor for.

    I also agree with Kay, in that the OP's timing didn't do him any favors. If he'd posted a site for sale ad in the WSO section and then pointed his sig there, it would have been better received.

    Even if someone did buy the site, to keep it profitable they would still have to do the work of bringing in visitors. And any buyer with the mother wit to make a go of it is going to want a lot more than "it's profitable" when doing their due diligence.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234766].message }}
    • Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      It doesn't happen all that often, but I agree with Mike Anthony.

      .
      Where is Big Frank !!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11235187].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        Originally Posted by Regional Warrior View Post

        Where is Big Frank !!!
        lol....where he has always been since being banned. Prolifically posting under his second account - the worse kept secret on WF.

        P.S. Talked with fearless. he isn't feeling bad. Now can we stop trying to bully him? Anyone can show HUNDREDS of posts by regulars with Posts about business that relate to their included sigs and most of them have no actionable steps.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11235401].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
    Originally Posted by fearlesspioneer View Post

    Now the site has 59 backlinks according to Ahrefs. And it's ranking in google top 100 for over 170 keywords. Ranking in 4th or 5th page of google for some keywords with over 1000 monthly searches.
    Yeah for the margin of commission on Amazon you have to get it up to at least bottom of page one - preferably top four. So more link building would be needed. Very few people are searching past page two and almost no one goes page 4 or 5.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11234980].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

    ROFL...

    Guy puts up a nice little case study of something that is working for A LOT OF PEOPLE and theres all this talk about ads because he doesn't have a post count and from people with big ole CLICK HERE red signs In their signs (but that keeps the forum clean?)

    Lighten up guys. We are a group of marketers but egad everyone gets their non mod radars up when someone might be selling something in their sig (meanwhile many of the top posters spout sigs - yes often related to what they post - so whose fooling who?)

    So since I don't have a sig (for the moment) let me help out the OP

    YES - this strategy works and works well. I have had multiple customers in the Amazon field. Last year one of my good friends flipped one for as I recall about $20,000 at Empire. He held it for about 6 months before selling it to get a rock for an engagement to his sweetheart. Between that and the income he made while holding it added $30,000+ to his income for the year.

    In particular the idea of getting an expired domain with existing incoming links works gangbuster for speeding up the process.

    Now this should take some time in keyword and amazon product research to be most effective and yeah generally you need to hold onto it for more than two months but ahem....

    every day people post some general fluff business articles (that gives no actionable strategy) and get loads of thanks from their friends but here is as thread with actual in the trenches PRACTICAL non sermon information that just about anyone can do but because ...lol... a marketer might have a slight marketing thought in his sig on A MARKETING FORUM he is getting attacked.

    Fine then post your pretty straightforward step by step system that anyone can do from scratch and then flip for $30,000 in a year year because you might be unaware marketers but TON loads of people are doing this (although in fairness the SEO needed to really make it ramp was not in this post).

    We all await your answer....or the sound of chirping crickets

    The case study is legit. FACT. The information matches what I and others are doing and have seen done many times.
    Thank you so much! What you said means a lot to me.

    Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

    How much was it making before it was suspended

    al
    No revenue.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11235040].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by fearlesspioneer View Post

    No revenue.
    No revenue?

    How in the world can you say you built a profitable Amazon site if there is NO REVENUE?

    No one has ever paid a dinner check with page four rankings for longtail keywords.

    What are we missing here?

    As for the sig, it seems you might be stretching the truth a wee bit when you say "high ranking Google articles."

    Top 100 means first ten pages. Which means most of your articles are effectively invisible. I'm a believer in going past the first pages, but even I rarely go ten pages deep before changing my search strings.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11235637].message }}
    • Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      No revenue?

      How in the world can you say you built a profitable Amazon site if there is NO REVENUE?

      No one has ever paid a dinner check with page four rankings for longtail keywords.

      What are we missing here?

      As for the sig, it seems you might be stretching the truth a wee bit when you say "high ranking Google articles."

      Top 100 means first ten pages. Which means most of your articles are effectively invisible. I'm a believer in going past the first pages, but even I rarely go ten pages deep before changing my search strings.
      What you said makes sense. But you don't know the site has some traffic. It could have had some revenue. It has no revenue because my Amazon affiliate account was suspended. The site has some links. Other sites have sent some traffic to my site. One of the site owners even shared my site on FB with her fans.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11235711].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
        Originally Posted by fearlesspioneer View Post

        What you said makes sense. But you don't know the site has some traffic. It could have had some revenue. It has no revenue because my Amazon affiliate account was suspended. The site has some links. Other sites have sent some traffic to my site. One of the site owners even shared my site on FB with her fans.
        The site has some traffic? What is some traffic? 100 visitors per month? 200? 2000? 20,000?

        Someone else sharing your site on their FB page is not really a sustainable business model unless it repeatedly gets shared by them and others.

        While I appreciate the effort and echo other's sentiments that this is better than a lot of the threads on this forum, I think what you have here is the beginning of a case study. You really have not hit a spot where the site is generating meaningful traffic or has achieved any meaningful rankings (sorry, but ranking on page 4 is about the equivalent of not ranking at all).

        You should keep up the efforts and turn the site into something that actually is profitable. Then come back and update this thread.
        Signature
        SEO, AdWords Management, Social Media Marketing, and more.
        Get a FREE Quote.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11236149].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by fearlesspioneer View Post

        What you said makes sense. But you don't know the site has some traffic. It could have had some revenue. It has no revenue because my Amazon affiliate account was suspended. The site has some links. Other sites have sent some traffic to my site. One of the site owners even shared my site on FB with her fans.
        There's a difference between "site has no revenue" and "site had revenue until account was suspended".

        "Some" traffic and a random share aren't really worth much.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11236200].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    The site was listed for sale days before this thread was started. I agree that not having traffic count is not a good way to do a 'case study' but it's the 'profitable' claim that bothered me.

    He had the site for 2 months before losing his Amazon acct about a week ago. (I say a week ago as he posted if was "a few days ago" and that was when he listed the site for sale). My point is if there is only 'some traffic' and the site has not had ANY sales in two months - the case study might not be a good plan for people to follow. It's not about 'better than' or 'worse than' other posts - it's misleading to refer to a site as 'profitable' if there is no revenue.

    Some of the advice is good - but 50 of 59 total backlinks coming from ONE site is not something I'd recommend.
    Signature

    Saving one dog will not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.
    ***
    On the outside, everything is fine. But deep down, inside my boot, my sock is slipping down.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11236199].message }}
  • OK. It's a bad case study, really really bad. I'm a BIG liar! All I said is not true. Don't follow my advices about niche research, link building, expired domain...because they are useless ,they are all wrong! What I did does not work. It's a really bad business model!

    Now you are all satisfied? Now I know why the members here are much less active than before. Now I know why there are much less valuable threads than before.

    You should delete this thread. Because it's absolutely useless!

    Oh I'm so sorry. I'm so regret that I posted such a bad thread here. It's such a wonderful forum! What a shame of me to post such spammy content here!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11236419].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by fearlesspioneer View Post

      OK. It's a bad case study, really really bad. I'm a BIG liar! All I said is not true. Don't follow my advices about niche research, link building, expired domain...because they are useless ,they are all wrong! What I did does not work. It's a really bad business model!

      Now you are all satisfied? Now I know why the members here are much less active than before. Now I know why there are much less valuable threads than before.

      You should delete this thread. Because it's absolutely useless!

      Oh I'm so sorry. I'm so regret that I posted such a bad thread here. It's such a wonderful forum! What a shame of me to post such spammy content here!
      When you're done pouting, go back and read my actual comments again.

      It wasn't the case study that caused a stir. It was the timing on your sig offer and some lazy comments about the site's revenue that started people wondering.

      If you think this was members giving you a hard time, you should have seen some of the toasting my backside got when I started out here. Your OP was a good contribution, so dry your eyes, put on your Romex undies, and keep at it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11236606].message }}
  • So nice to see people share their success story to help others! Keep up the good work!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11237545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author filiks
    Its been a while i read a good case study on this forum...

    This is a good one and its 'VALUABLE'

    I really see no reason why this guy is being hacked here and there because of his sig. The point is, his post is very helpful and it will be beneficial to members who are trying to find their rhythm.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11237575].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    Originally Posted by Ronnie Hershcovich View Post

    So nice to see people share their success story to help others! Keep up the good work!
    Originally Posted by filiks View Post

    Its been a while i read a good case study on this forum...

    This is a good one and its 'VALUABLE'

    I really see no reason why this guy is being hacked here and there because of his sig. The point is, his post is very helpful and it will be beneficial to members who are trying to find their rhythm.
    Did you guys even bother reading this thread. Title: How I built a profitable amazon affiliate niche site

    Notice the highlighted Bold Word. Now go back and re-read the entire thread. The OP never maid any money with this site. No money means it was not profitable.

    al
    Signature

    It is true that money can not buy happiness, But it is more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11237714].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      You say all of that because you're not familiar with alternate definitions. This is the alternate definition of profitable: made, created, launched.

      See? Now it all makes sense; the OP was perfectly correct to state he created a profitable website.

      Get with the times, man! I did it when someone started a thread about passive income stating that income that comes from something is passive if there's work involved to produce the income, as long as you don't get too tired doing said work.

      Now, I feel much better: instead of thinking that I work too many hours, now I think that I have many sources of passive income! And that's much better, 'coz now I'm richer both in time and money! Yay me!!!!

      OP: it's not that what you shared has no value, it's that you use words carelessly. Tighten word usage and you'll be better off, here and in the rest of your world. Pinky promise!



      Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

      Did you guys even bother reading this thread. Title: How I built a profitable amazon affiliate niche site

      Notice the highlighted Bold Word. Now go back and re-read the entire thread. The OP never maid any money with this site. No money means it was not profitable.

      al
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11237873].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics