Years ago I came upon a article entitled "Life's Lessons" by Regina Brett, published in The Plain Dealer of Cleveland, Ohio on Sunday, May 28, 2006.
I have adapted what was written because it absolutely applies to our quest to enjoy online business and life at the same time.
Think about it? What's the sense of slaving away and consuming your life with something you don't love doing?
Take great pleasure in the fact that you can chart your own path and position your business into whatever you want it to be.
Business Lessons for a Happier Life
1. Life and business aren't fair, but they're still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone or trying to prove your point.
4. Don't take yourself too seriously. No one else does.
5. Pay off your expenses every month. Keep your business debt free.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Learn to respect others' opinions (even if you know they're wrong).
7. Don't let your business consume your life. Your family needs you too much.
8. It's OK to get angry with God even though He's not at fault. He can take it.
9. Save for rainy days, economic recessions, and retirement starting with your first profits.
10. When it comes to steak, chocolate, and Dr. Pepper, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
12. Be yourself. You can't be anyone else without being dishonest.
13. Don't compare your life or your business to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about or how far they've come.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. Sometimes you have no choice but to adapt in order to be happy and successful.
16. Life is too short for long pity parties. Get busy working and forget yourself.
17. You can get through anything but sometimes you need the help of others - so welcome it.
18. A writer writes. A painter paints. A publisher publishes. If you want to be any of these things, do them every day.
19. Find joy in work. Too many adults only find joy in play and wasting time.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, and give your best in the moment. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over-prepare and out-work the competition; do what they won't do.
23. Be different, creative, even eccentric now. Don't wait for old age when the desire wanes.
24. Give your help when you see it's needed. Work on improving your sight.
25. No one is in charge of your business or your happiness except you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: "Next year, will this matter?"
27. Always choose abundance and generosity.
28. Forgive everyone everything.
29. Don't fret over what other people might think of you or what you produce. It's really none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time some time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change. What's important is how you respond.
32. Personal relationships deserve your very best - they are what matters.
33. Believe in miracles. Then go to work and create your own.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
35. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
36. Growing old beats the alternative - dying young - so glory in the journey!
37. Your children are your legacy and they get only one childhood. Make it memorable.
38. Read good books. Listen to uplifting music. Think positive thoughts.
39. Get outside and away from the computer or phone every day. Nature is still the greatest show on earth.
40. If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
41. Don't audit life and work. Show up and make the most of it today.
42. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
43. All that truly matters in the end is that you did the best with what you had.
44. Envy is a waste of time. You can't have it all and you already have all you need.
45. The best is yet to come. You will never be depressed with this mindset.
46. No matter how you feel, get up, count your blessings and show up.
47. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
48. If you don't ask, you don't get. Ask only for what you can't live without.
49. Yield. Listen. Observe.
50. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a precious gift.
Merry Christmas to all!