Internet 'names' using images of themselves playing 'happy families'

21 replies
OK I can see it's a 'trend'

Pagan & Kern now using pics of their loved ones on facebook ads?

How cute......and I'm sorry for being cynical....but....yuurggghhh!

Am I to conclude that they have tested these images...or was it just a quick phone call..

Ring...ring...."Hello Frank It's Eban. Lurved the cute images on your new Facebook ad.
Gonna get the kids and missus and give it a go for myself. Bye.

Frank puts phone down. says.....hey Linda, Eban's taken the bait he he he he he.

Fake scarcity....fake happy families.....I'm getting toooo cynical in my old age.
#families #happy #images #internet #names #playing
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    Fake scarcity....fake happy families.....I'm getting toooo cynical in my old age.
    Use the bait the suckers like the best. That's just good fishin' technique.

    Brent
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294889].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
    Originally Posted by helisell View Post

    OK I can see it's a 'trend'

    Pagan & Kern now using pics of their loved ones on facebook ads?

    How cute......and I'm sorry for being cynical....but....yuurggghhh!

    Am I to conclude that they have tested these images...or was it just a quick phone call..

    Ring...ring...."Hello Frank It's Eban. Lurved the cute images on your new Facebook ad.
    Gonna get the kids and missus and give it a go for myself. Bye.

    Frank puts phone down. says.....hey Linda, Eban's taken the bait he he he he he.

    Fake scarcity....fake happy families.....I'm getting toooo cynical in my old age.
    Maybe show the first, or second wife, and first set of kids. In some cases, the first 3 or 4 wives.

    Funny, they all struggled to get success, but where are the pics of the people (first wives) who gave them the support to allow them to do what they wanted, hope they are getting huge alimony checks and a piece of the action.

    As far as the happy family selling tool pic, AMWAY had this mastered back in the 1970's. You'd be hard pressed to tell some of these happy families from the happy families of many cults. Oh, wait...

    GordonJ
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294892].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Do it from Day 1. Like me Then folks get that you are a real person (as this is the only person they have ever known), who genuinely wants you to know that they have an offline life, like everybody. The only person who'd be skeptical of me showing pics of me, my wife, and offline life, from Day #1, would be a miserable, angry SOBs. Those are poor business partners anyway LOL.
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295026].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helisell
      Originally Posted by ryanbiddulph View Post

      Do it from Day 1. Like me Then folks get that you are a real person (as this is the only person they have ever known), who genuinely wants you to know that they have an offline life, like everybody. The only person who'd be skeptical of me showing pics of me, my wife, and offline life, from Day #1, would be a miserable, angry SOBs. Those are poor business partners anyway LOL.
      Exactly on the money.

      That's what makes the difference between fake and untrustworthy
      and genuine and believable

      What makes it worse...is.....

      Us who are already in the game will see through the tactic...so obviously they are not aiming it at us.

      I bet if you got them in a bar you'd learn the truth.......'yeah a guy took the picture while we just happened to be all dressed in white.....like angels'....hmmmnnnn

      I think marketing just took a step backwards.
      Signature

      Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
      Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295229].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by ryanbiddulph View Post

      Do it from Day 1. Like me Then folks get that you are a real person (as this is the only person they have ever known), who genuinely wants you to know that they have an offline life, like everybody.
      How do you that the person is actually married, with children? Would you like to see pics of my wife, who was Playmate of the Year and our 7 children?

      This is right up there with, "Should I use my real name or a pen name on my blog."

      Who know s and who cares??? lol Some folks will fall for anything. That's precisely how Internet millionaires are made!
      Signature

      "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295458].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I've seen this alot though in home business magazines. People advertise their system/business package, and show themselves alongside their wife & kids... in front of their mansion and 4 Ferrari's. Nothing new in my opinion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Janice Sperry
    You are saying this like it is something new? Or sinister?

    TV commercials, magazine ads, online marketers have been doing this for decades.

    Some honest business people actually do have strong and happy families.

    Fake families are just as easy to create as fake PayPal accounts and fake Lamborghini's.

    "Buyer beware" never changes...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    I think for some - and maybe bloggers in particular - using some personal 'stuff' works for them and suits their audience. It makes the writer sound 'normal' and followers get a sense (or they think they do) of his/her 'private life'.

    When I see 'gooorooos' using 'family exposure' when they didn't in the past - I figure their influence is flagging a bit so time to try something new...?
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world -
    but the world will be forever changed for that one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295467].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
    They are using the images as psychological triggers.

    Most people regardless of their family situation would probably aspire to have a happy family or a stable relationship etc. It doesn't matter whether there is any additional information supporting the image merely the fact someone sees it helps trigger a response.

    The marketers recognise the use but would everyone? Not likely.

    In the early days of my business when we were a "family business" we always used a picture of myself and my wife in our Yellow Pages ads.

    We were trying to be recognised as a family business and stand out from our competitors who always used product shots.

    As the business grew the photos gradually became replaced with photos of the whole team of staff. "The bigger family".

    We had a diverse range of individuals of different ages and ethnicities so I guess we were trying to appeal to community that was our customer base.

    All that has happened is those images now move to Facebook and your website and they can become far more extensively used because of the low cost of distribution.

    Now you have more power than ever to direct the prospect to the page you want to promote and those pages can ultimately be customised with specific images appealing to prospect's desires.

    If pagan and kern are using family images then they not only believe their prospects want a happy family but just possibly they believe in having a happy family themselves regardless of their past efforts. It's not a bad thing.

    Best regards,

    Ozi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295636].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helisell
      Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

      They are using the images as psychological triggers.

      Most people regardless of their family situation would probably aspire to have a happy family or a stable relationship etc. It doesn't matter whether there is any additional information supporting the image merely the fact someone sees it helps trigger a response.

      The marketers recognise the use but would everyone? Not likely.

      In the early days of my business when we were a "family business" we always used a picture of myself and my wife in our Yellow Pages ads.

      We were trying to be recognised as a family business and stand out from our competitors who always used product shots.

      As the business grew the photos gradually became replaced with photos of the whole team of staff. "The bigger family".

      We had a diverse range of individuals of different ages and ethnicities so I guess we were trying to appeal to community that was our customer base.

      All that has happened is those images now move to Facebook and your website and they can become far more extensively used because of the low cost of distribution.

      Now you have more power than ever to direct the prospect to the page you want to promote and those pages can ultimately be customised with specific images appealing to prospect's desires.

      If pagan and kern are using family images then they not only believe their prospects want a happy family but just possibly they believe in having a happy family themselves regardless of their past efforts. It's not a bad thing.

      Best regards,

      Ozi
      I'm English.....you're an Auzzie.....we 'get' irony.

      My post was kinda lighthearted but with a message.

      Of course I know why they do it. I've been watching the pair of them for 13 years.
      I've seen all the funnels they create, I've followed carefully their marketing careers.

      Kern is the 'funny' one, Pagan a bit more serious. I like both of them but thought it was interesting to see Kern using this 'clean cut and successful' approach.

      I'm reminded of a line from Dr Hook 'It's one step from the jungle to the Zoo'

      I thought it was funny and ironic.

      I fully understand that the pictures are sending the message 'Do what I did and you too can have a beautiful wife and kids and a nice car too'

      I think they are both big and ugly enough to just smile at my comments....and pay me no more attention whatsoever.

      .
      Signature

      Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
      Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295823].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
        Originally Posted by helisell View Post

        Of course I know why they do it. I've been watching the pair of them for 13 years.
        I'm reminded of the lines from a traditional North-Eastern English rhyme:

        'Oh, dear me. Your mother caught a flea. She put it in the teapot and had a cup of tea...'
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296520].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    It's just the backlash from all the phony mansion shots. "I'm not like those gooroo guys (anymore)."

    A few years ago, a gooroo who has since vanished was using a shot of himself in front of 'his' beach house, with 'his' Ferrari in the driveway, sitting in a lounge next to 'his' hot girlfriend.

    I happened to recognize the house (about 30 miles from where I live). If you pulled back, you'd be able to read the For Sale and Open House Today signs next to the driveway. If you zoomed in on the windshield, you could read the name of the rental agency. Turned out the 'girlfriend' was also a rental.

    Not saying anything specific about Pagan or Kern, but this seems like just the other side of the same coin.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Brindamour
    helisell,

    Well it's never what you like, it's what the market likes...

    If it works, then use it!

    Chris
    Signature

    Subscribe to our Free Home Business Tips Newsletter and get insider tips on how to create wealth in an online business.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296823].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helisell
      Originally Posted by Chris Brindamour View Post

      helisell,

      Well it's never what you like, it's what the market likes...

      If it works, then use it!

      Chris
      Oh thanks so much.....I didn't realise that.

      It's NOT what the market 'likes'.....it's what the market falls for.

      I wanna dress in white and and and have a beautiful wife and and and a big car and and ohhh e v e r y t h i n g ! ;0)
      Signature

      Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
      Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296832].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Meaney
    Now I'm starting to reconsider my current ad...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296834].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helisell
      Originally Posted by Michael Meaney View Post

      Now I'm starting to reconsider my current ad...

      I reckon you're onto something here Mick.

      Learn how to spend 2 days 'on the rob' and you can live the dream like me...as much special brew as you can drink. Shopping trolley for loading the nicked gear and as many duty free fags as you and your lass can smoke.

      Down load the course now only $7

      Never have to sign on for JSA again....oh wait...ignore that last bit.
      Signature

      Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
      Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296855].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Meaney
        Originally Posted by helisell View Post

        I reckon you're onto something here Mick.

        Learn how to spend 2 days 'on the rob' and you can live the dream like me...as much special brew as you can drink. Shopping trolley for loading the nicked gear and as many duty free fags as you and your lass can smoke.

        Down load the course now only $7

        Never have to sign on for JSA again....oh wait...ignore that last bit.
        I'm seriously having flashbacks here...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11297184].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnVianny
    WHY in the hell shouldn't he show his wife IF the reason you are here is life a life of prosperity and financial freedom which is what he achieved?

    We are Marketers.

    In Marketing there is only one rule: it works? ok. It doesnt? change it.

    Of course there are common sense limit but we are not here for becoming all nun

    If what you want is becoming a top performing marketer WHY should not he uses what performers best with you?

    I think that if you achieve the same results with that ad like him, you wont be so upset.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296859].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by Connann View Post

      In Marketing there is only one rule: it works? ok. It doesnt? change it.
      And honesty be damned. And folks wonder why so many marketers are regarded as weasels. lol
      Signature

      "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11296875].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author .
    Originally Posted by helisell View Post

    OK I can see it's a 'trend'

    Pagan & Kern now using pics of their loved ones on facebook ads?

    How cute......and I'm sorry for being cynical....but....yuurggghhh!

    Am I to conclude that they have tested these images...or was it just a quick phone call..

    Ring...ring...."Hello Frank It's Eban. Lurved the cute images on your new Facebook ad.
    Gonna get the kids and missus and give it a go for myself. Bye.

    Frank puts phone down. says.....hey Linda, Eban's taken the bait he he he he he.

    Fake scarcity....fake happy families.....I'm getting toooo cynical in my old age.
    What if they have in fact a happy family?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11297219].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Judey
    Looks like they're getting high conversions by using family pics. That's why they're still using this technique to run more ads on social media.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11297411].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics