The BIGGEST mistake I've seen most aspiring internet marketers make

44 replies
In my 3 years of internet marketing, the biggest mistake I see newbies make (including me when I first started out), they go into the 'Make Money Online' market.

Now don't get me wrong. This is a very profitable market, except that these newbies never earned a single penny online, and now they are going around teaching people how to make money. That is not how it works.

You need to base your business on your area of expertise.

What do I mean by that?

You need to choose a market that you are already knowledgeable or passionate about. It could be your hobbies, skills, past experiences, or anything that makes your life worth living for.

This could be

Technology
Cars
Dating
Fitness
Pets
Health
etc...

In my opinion, the only time you should dive into MMO is when you have gained enough experience and knowledge from other markets. That's a lesson I learned the hard way.

Besides, in comparison, other niches are more profitable if done correctly. This is because they appeal to a bigger audience. The only difference is, they don't blog about how much money they are making from that market. Which is why people think that talking about making money online is the best way to make money online.

Thoughts?
#aspiring #biggest #internet #make #marketers #mistake
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Marvin Adam
    passion is important, I agree with you. I had no clue about any other niche "business wise" and start with MMO either way and mate it work so I think it depends also on what kind of person you are and what initial skillset you start with.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11303650].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mr Sultan
      Originally Posted by Marvin Adam View Post

      passion is important, I agree with you. I had no clue about any other niche "business wise" and start with MMO either way and mate it work so I think it depends also on what kind of person you are and what initial skillset you start with.
      Hey that's awesome! So what exactly do you do online?

      Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YourGoToWriter
    I also believe that you should work with what you are passionate about because if you are passionate about something, you will work hard to achieve that goal that you're aspiring. It will be very helpful when it comes to your content making strategy. You must be knowledgeable in your chosen niche in order for you to have original and quality content. Your passion and knowledge will reflect into your work.

    Loren
    Signature
    First 100 Subscribers Only: LIFETIME 50% DISCOUNT on Content Writing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304234].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mr Sultan
      Originally Posted by YourGoToWriter View Post

      I also believe that you should work with what you are passionate about because if you are passionate about something, you will work hard to achieve that goal that you're aspiring. It will be very helpful when it comes to your content making strategy. You must be knowledgeable in your chosen niche in order for you to have original and quality content. Your passion and knowledge will reflect into your work.

      Loren
      True that! What niche are you in?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304280].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Maxima123
      Originally Posted by YourGoToWriter View Post

      I also believe that you should work with what you are passionate about because if you are passionate about something, you will work hard to achieve that goal that you're aspiring. It will be very helpful when it comes to your content making strategy. You must be knowledgeable in your chosen niche in order for you to have original and quality content. Your passion and knowledge will reflect into your work.
      Loren
      Yes, I too agree with it where there is passion for something there come the success and achievements.Until and unless we are passionate about what we are doing it won't motivate us to cross all barriers and get final accomplishments.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11307151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Totally agree.

    I've been in a totally different niche for 12 years and made a great success of it.....and only now am I thinking I could show others how to make money.

    My niche is a lot smaller than this mmo niche too.
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    Say This Instead

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304329].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mr Sultan
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      Totally agree.

      I've been in a totally different niche for 12 years and made a great success of it.....and only now am I thinking I could show others how to make money.

      My niche is a lot smaller than this mmo niche too.
      That's awesome! What niche are you in?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304369].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Money can be made in niches where you don't necessarily have passion; however, I have to agree that if you have passion for the topic or subject of your business, you will have a tendency to persist and stay with the business longer because the subject interests you.

    Not only that, it is typically an advantage to be in a niche where you already have a good understanding and foundation and know the jargon - you already will be seen by some as an expert because of your history and experience in the niche.

    The best to all of you,

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sven300
    I totally agree with you, Mr Sultan. It is better to work in a field that you already know and for which you have a real interest.

    Wanting to teach others how to swim when one does not know how to swim oneself is rarely a good idea. Internet marketers are (by definition) interested in "how to make money online". But pretending to teach others when you can not do it yourself is rather ridiculous.

    We must not underestimate the intelligence of people. People always end up realizing if you really know your subject and if you are really motivated by it. We can deceive people in the short term... but it rarely works in the long term and we lose all credibility.

    The following 9 categories are valid for making money on the internet.

    1) Health / Diet / Weightloss
    2) Money / Make Money Online / Investing
    3) Love / Dating
    4) Self-Improvement / Psychology / Motivation
    5) Travel
    6) Gaming and Gambling
    7) Sex / Adult topics
    8) Esoterism
    9) Pets

    But which one is the best? The best one is the one where YOU are the best.

    Good luck!
    Signature
    I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Thomas Jefferson
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304400].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SiteNameSales
    Keep in mind that we are talking about affiliates, not the product or course developers and I'm not sure what you mean by the 'make money online' niche. Are you referring to courses that range from creating a blog to mastering advertising on Facebook? You don't need to be an expert in anything except how to employ an affiliate link.

    I promote recipe ebooks from time to time, but I don't know how to cook. I advertise courses in woodworking, but I don't know a saw from a lathe.

    I think that most people who frequent this forum have one passion in common: Making Money Online. Surely, there are other strong interests in the mix, but that certainly is a driving force.

    I have an interest in history and have had a blog about old graveyards for several years. Even with some Google ads I don't think I make enough to pay for my yearly registration fee. As Richard Nixon once said about his dog Checkers: "I don't care what they say. We're going to keep it."

    Your online interests don't need to make money, nor does making money have much to do with niches in which you consider yourself an expert.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304440].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ajaymalik
    You Are 100% Right, This is Why I never Write a Post Which I Never try. This Will Make my audience Trust me More. First I start a case study and Then post it result. People Also Try In My Industry -"SEO". they Never rank for a single Keyword and wrote Guide about Owning Google.
    Signature
    I'm a Technical SEO expert and SEO consultant and a Fron End Developer too
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304450].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sven300
    Not necessary to know a topic to be a good affiliate in this field? Wow!

    It is difficult enough to work persistently in a field that really interests us.

    It is difficult enough to gain credibility on a subject we know well.

    Yet yes it is possible to succeed in a subject that interests us little and in which we do not know much. Possible but unlikely. And the success will probably be short-lived.

    Since it is better to embark on an adventure where the probability of success is high. Since it is better to do things that will last longer rather than the opposite, Mr. Sultan's advice in his Opening Post is perfectly relevant.
    Signature
    I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Thomas Jefferson
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304451].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
    I'm one that thinks passion is irrelevant in relation to what you promote.

    Also, what you are passionate about may not be very monetizable.

    Your passion could simply be marketing itself.

    My core business is email monetization through the use of PPL (pay per lead...lead generation) offers. Which I have absolutely no passion for what I actually promote, but rather with the strategies, processes, etc...
    Signature
    How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
    18 Years Exp . . . . . . . . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304463].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by Mr Sultan View Post

    You need to choose a niche that you are already knowledgeable or passionate about. It could be your hobbies, skills, past experiences, or anything that makes your life worth living for.

    This could be

    Technology
    Cars
    Dating
    Fitness
    Pets
    Health
    etc...
    One might start by learning the difference between a "niche" and a major market with hundreds to thousands of niches and sub-niches.

    "Health?"

    Even multi-billion dollar big pharma companies don't tackle "health."

    Your main point is valid, but calling these huge markets "niches" is setting up people who don't know any better for failure.

    Even MMO can be broken down into dozens of better-targeted niches.

    Originally Posted by Sven300 View Post

    The following 9 categories are valid for making money on the internet.

    1) Health / Diet / Weightloss
    2) Money / Make Money Online / Investing
    3) Love / Dating
    4) Self-Improvement / Psychology / Motivation
    5) Travel
    6) Gaming and Gambling
    7) Sex / Adult topics
    8) Esoterism
    9) Pets

    But which one is the best? The best one is the one where YOU are the best.

    Good luck!
    So you are saying that any market which does not fit one of these categories is invalid and should be completely ignored?

    As I alluded to above, encouraging naive newbies to tackle such broad topics is a recipe for failure that even the big companies fear to try.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304564].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sven300
      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post


      So you are saying that any market which does not fit one of these categories is invalid and should be completely ignored?

      .
      Not invalid. But less good. The markets that belong to the categories I mentioned are the best.

      I imagine it is possible to make money by talking about the chemical composition of the planet Jupiter but personally I do not know how.

      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      As I alluded to above, encouraging naive newbies to tackle such broad topics is a recipe for failure that even the big companies fear to try.
      I never thought, said or wrote that you have to "focus" on something as big as health to succeed.

      On the contrary, I always explained that we had to focus on something specific, on a specific niche.

      Let's take the example of my category 1) Health / Diet / Weightloss. It might be interesting to focus on the following niches:
      Weight loss for women over 40 who have just given birth.
      Or diet for young children who have type 1 diabetes.
      Etc.
      Signature
      I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Thomas Jefferson
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304621].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mr Sultan
      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      One might start by learning the difference between a "niche" and a major market with hundreds to thousands of niches and sub-niches.

      "Health?"

      Even multi-billion dollar big pharma companies don't tackle "health."

      Your main point is valid, but calling these huge markets "niches" is setting up people who don't know any better for failure.

      Even MMO can be broken down into dozens of better-targeted niches.



      So you are saying that any market which does not fit one of these categories is invalid and should be completely ignored?

      As I alluded to above, encouraging naive newbies to tackle such broad topics is a recipe for failure that even the big companies fear to try.
      Thank you for these pointers. I was actually speaking in a broader sense. I will keep your tips in mind and make the edits accordingly.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304865].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Mr Sultan View Post

    In my opinion, the only time you should dive into MMO is when you have gained enough experience and knowledge from other niches.
    In some instances, it's even better to pursue and exploit more and MORE small niche markets - and never enter into the MMO/IM niche at all.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11304645].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Successtoyou
    Of course, newbies are fascinated with flashing banners and easy making money online tools. Before venturing into this journey, user should know all the aspects a website provides.
    I had such experience myself. When I began this "career", I was fascinated myself. "sign up and get bonus" on flashing banners and you are ready to register. After that you realize that it is not so easy as it seems to earn online.
    I wanted to make a website where all the best opportunities were presented, but they were changing so rapidly that I just realized, that all these methods are temporary and you need search for a reliable method.
    So, I changed my niche. Now I am developing my social network and earn my money on my own website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11305662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MilkandMore
    Passion is important for doing anything and until you don't start you won't experience nor the curiosity of learning something.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11305786].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patricia Lynn
    Make Money online with your own business, blog or website dedicated to a specific niche market that you are passionate about. Selling your own products or sell someone else's products through affiliate marketing for a commission can yield huge profits if done correctly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11305892].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author facresulq
    I worked in this. very difficult
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11305942].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author starcreatives
    Great information. I have blogs on different topics. Now I will create more in categories you specified. Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11306012].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Yep I was in other Niches for 7 years before entering MMO niche. I highly recommend that people get their feet wet and find some success with other niches outside of MMO.

    Otherwise you'll just be teaching on theory and not real life experience, imo !!
    Signature

    Elvis has left the building

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11306048].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zero Limits
    Excellent article! Pretty sure I'm making the same mistake right now. It starts to feel like you're an expect after buying and studying so many "making money" courses and books. And you're right, none of that matters if you haven't made any money yet.

    Thanks for the reminder!
    Frank
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11306116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
    I agree. I recommend going after the lowest hanging fruit. What are you already good at? For me it was basketball. My first consistent income was created when I went into the basketball niche and taught people how to improve their basketball skills and I promoted products as an affiliate.

    Then once I had success in that niche I transitioned into the M.M.O niche and taught the system that I used to have success in the basketball niche.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11306155].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cearionmarie
    True! This has also been my mistake. Had to struggled enough before I learned from so many things and so many people.
    Signature

    Cearion Uy - Marketing Advisor
    www.phlanx.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11306632].message }}
  • What it this advice provides is a way for newbies to save time. Since they won't spend so much time learning a new niche. They will be able to work with what they have and improve it. There will be less pain in the initial investment and once you start making money, your passion will be fueled and your content will become better.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11307069].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Maxima123
    Absolutely right, It is true that you should analyse the market and business thorough and judge your passion and work according to it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11307152].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kevinfar
    True words, I think that it's the first inclination since most people are buying or consuming those types of products so somehow it's like it's the first niche that comes to mind.

    However, there are so many other topics that one could get into.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11307293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnVianny
    Yes, before start to teach how to make money, you have to have made money!

    Personally i started in weight loss niche, and trading niche too before.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11307599].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11307722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author heavysm
    I was always curious why people go for money rather than passion first (you can have both - dont think of them as sequential things).

    That might seem like an obvious thing, but think about it...is anyone who goes after purely money ever really happy in the long run?

    When i first got into marketing i wanted to connect my passions to something that would make an income.

    That led me to copywriting, writing nonfiction/ fiction, and a few other fields i would have NEVER guessed would make me an income.

    I think i just looked at things in reverse, in a way.

    I saw the people who were successful in the fields that were of interest to me, i studied them intensively over a several years, then i slowly made my moves modeling them and making what they did better.

    It is WAY less complicated than most people think.

    Just follow your passions (or else you'll burn out) and connect that with something that makes money long term.

    Each industry has trends and you have to avoid the short term crap to ensure you last for years to come (you have a passion based biz that follows a trend and dies quickly simply because the trend wears off - short term profitability is not the way to go).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11309153].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    Originally Posted by Mr Sultan View Post

    In my 3 years of internet marketing, the biggest mistake I see newbies make (including me when I first started out), they go into the 'Make Money Online' market.

    Now don't get me wrong. This is a very profitable market, except that these newbies never earned a single penny online, and now they are going around teaching people how to make money. That is not how it works.

    You need to base your business on your area of expertise.

    What do I mean by that?

    You need to choose a market that you are already knowledgeable or passionate about. It could be your hobbies, skills, past experiences, or anything that makes your life worth living for.

    This could be

    Technology
    Cars
    Dating
    Fitness
    Pets
    Health
    etc...

    In my opinion, the only time you should dive into MMO is when you have gained enough experience and knowledge from other markets. That's a lesson I learned the hard way.

    Besides, in comparison, other niches are more profitable if done correctly. This is because they appeal to a bigger audience. The only difference is, they don't blog about how much money they are making from that market. Which is why people think that talking about making money online is the best way to make money online.

    Thoughts?

    I do see this, I don't know if it's the biggest mistake, but it's def a bad idea

    I personally think one of the biggest mistakes is people give up too early and don't stick it out long enough to see what works.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11310320].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sioh Boon Yap
    Thanks Sultan. You are absolutely right. A lot of people want to teach others but unfortunately they themselves do even understand online business. Anyway, everyone starts from somewhere and we must prepare to make mistakes in order to learn. Never too late to make a change.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11310618].message }}
    • Just curious. You say you agree with the opening post.

      Yet, you haven't made any consistent or big money according to several posts you've written but you are still selling how to get rich stuff.

      If you agree, why not change yourself?

      Mark

      Originally Posted by Sioh Boon Yap View Post

      Thanks Sultan. You are absolutely right. A lot of people want to teach others but unfortunately they themselves do even understand online business. Anyway, everyone starts from somewhere and we must prepare to make mistakes in order to learn. Never too late to make a change.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11310630].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patricia Lynn
    When building a website technical complications can slow the process. There are several services that can help build a website from scratch helping you develop your blog with the correct settings and plugins. Using an expert in web design or web programmer can help you save time in the long run by configuring your website settings correctly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11313905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FreedomBlogger
    Yes, I agree.

    I can't really relate, though, because I actually started in the dating niche, and then moved on to the memory improvement niche. Once I started to find some success in these niches, I started an internet marketing blog.

    But yeah, I highly recommend the newbies to start with a niche they are very passionate about - that way the work will not seem too much and there is going to be good energy to keep creating amazing content for the niche audience because you just love it.

    Signature
    At the beginning, I thought making money online with a blog was super super hard. Not anymore. Learn the art of making money online blogging - step by step - HERE.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11313969].message }}
  • Internet marketing is a marathon, not a sprint. If you're just in the business to make money, you will get burned out. Focusing on niches you like will help sustain your interest and keep you motivated in the long run.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11314186].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shmeeko69
    It's also important to have a passion for what you're doing, as that will come through in the type of work you produce and that goes for most things in life.If it seems like a chore then, the longevity of it will be a tough nut to crack.
    Signature
    The Rock n Roll of Marketing Reviews
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11314261].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics