It's NEVER About the Money Alone (This Gets Personal)

14 replies
I'll always remember the day clearly because one different choice
means I wouldn't be writing this.

June 21, 1998.

I was sitting on the edge of my bed, gun in hand, deciding whether or not
it was worth continuing living.

Having a gun, to me, was second nature. I had been a cop for 5 years
at that point.

But deciding whether or not to end my life?

Foreign as could be.

But I was lost.

I had just quit my police job, even though I was making quite a bit of
money. I was in my 20's and because I had no real responsibilities, had
over $200,000 in the bank.

And yet, here I was, wondering if I should put the gun in my mouth.

I quit the force because it wasn't "me"... it wasn't who I was.

But I figured I had no idea what I was to do next.

My Dad thought I was a failure for quitting. To him, success was
just having a stable job like the one he had for 20 years in a factory.

For some reason, and to this day, I have no idea what caused me to
think of them.

But I was sitting there with my police issued service weapon and just
suddenly thought of my Anthony Robbins tapes that were packed in the
garage.

Again, I can't explain why i did it, but I put the gun down, walked to the
garage, and grabbed the tapes and went on a listening binge.

24/7... I had his Personal Power 2 tapes in my car, my house, my
walkman, everywhere.

Less than a year later, not only was I still alive, I had become one of the
top personal trainers in the Portland Maine region.

When other trainers had a few clients here and there, I had a waiting list
of over 40 clients wanting to train with me.

I was making more money than I had ever made in my life.

And yet, I was still unhappy.

Something inside me told me I could help more people and make a
greater impact.

Well, in 2001, I didn't really have a choice whether or not I'd remain
a personal trainer.

The gym I had worked at suddenly closed and I was without a place
to train people.

Once again, I became down and depressed... but still had something
inside me that kept me thinking "Not only can I do this, not only can I
make an impact, I'm going to figure it out".

A few days later, I came across a book in the book store that was called
"Multiple Streams of Internet Income" by Robert Allen.

And just like that, my internet career was born.

From 2001 to 2009, I sold over $6 million dollars worth of e-books in all
kinds of fitness niches.

And still? I had this drive inside me that kept moving me forward, to try
and help MORE people improve their lives.

With more money in the bank than I knew what to do with, at the age of
30-something... money was NEVER my driving force.

And in all honesty, it shouldn't be yours either.

If you want to make it online and be here for 20 years or more like
I've been... you need to find something bigger than just making money.

It starts with trying to make an IMPACT and add value to as many
peoples' lives as you can.

Do THAT and I promise, the money will follow.

Not only that, but if you're only after the money, you won't want to stick
it out, when times get tough. It's too easy to throw in the towel when
your plan is just to make money.

But if your plan is to do what you FEEL you're meant to do...

If your plan is to help as many people as you can, then you're more
likely to stick it out when times are tough.

And yes, times do and will always get tough. It's just part of life.

Show me someone who hasn't gone through tough times and
I'll show you someone who hasn't done anything worthwhile.

So if you're only looking to make money online... whose to say you'll
want to stick it out when the money isn't coming in and the bills are
piling up?

But, as I found... if you're truly motivated to reach whatever full potential
you feel you're capable of... that can be the ONE thing that keeps you
going when times are tough.

And trust me, when your mission is to help others and add value to them
first... before you make a dime... then you have a reason for "doing" that's
much greater than yourself.

When you're driven to help yourself as well as thousands of other people...
it will give your life meaning more than you can imagine.

Believe me, it's never about the money alone.

For if it was, I never would have found myself on the edge of the bed that
day in 1998, wondering if it was worth living.

Listen to your heart, your gut, or whatever you want to call it... but if you feel
you can help a lot of other people with your online business... use that to keep
you moving forward, even when you're not sure you want to....
#money #personal
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Nick Million
    Thanks for such a great post! It's easy to get sucked up into the "gotta make more money" culture that prevades the IM arena. I agree that having a bigger more important why will carry you through when times get tough.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332252].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
    Great post! I'm betting you haven't even hit second gear yet.

    Keep the hammer down!

    Ron
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332378].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    Just crazy (in a good way)
    Glad you made the choice you did
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332384].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Absolutely amazing: Thanks Shawn.
    : )
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332442].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    1. Sympathy card.
    2. Money sig.

    Interesting.
    Signature
    - Friend me on Snapchat -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332712].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 1Bryan
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      1. Sympathy card.
      2. Money sig.

      Interesting.
      So what if he has a sig?

      I don't get your point.

      P.S. I do understand you are trying to undermine his credibility. But why? He's one of the last genuine dudes who still come around here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332799].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
        Originally Posted by 1Bryan View Post

        So what if he has a sig?

        I don't get your point.

        P.S. I do understand you are trying to undermine his credibility. But why? He's one of the last genuine dudes who still come around here.
        1Bryan,

        Thanks for the post.

        Yeah, trolls like Yukon simply feel the need to reflect their
        own shitty existence by trying to bring others down.

        I welcome it these days, and feel sorry for their crappy lives,
        relationships, and business... because you know with negative
        attitudes like that, they're not doing anything worthwhile.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332867].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author 1Bryan
          Originally Posted by shawnlebrun View Post

          1Bryan,

          Thanks for the post.

          Yeah, trolls like Yukon simply feel the need to reflect their
          own shitty existence by trying to bring others down.

          I welcome it these days, and feel sorry for their crappy lives,
          relationships, and business... because you know with negative
          attitudes like that, they're not doing anything worthwhile.
          No problem.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332897].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
        Hi Bryan,

        Pain...pain.....a little like the pain Shawn experienced when he pondered ending his life and I thought about, planning my end a decade ago. But in critics, the pain and fear is not as strong. Or maybe it is as strong but it bubbles below.

        When you live predominantly from a place of love you admire people, appreciate people and thank people. When living predominantly from fear (aka pain) you criticize, doubt, or hate on people. Nothing to do with Shawn, 100% projection of the critic's fear and pain.

        Shawn's inspiration and love will continue to elevate the vibe in this forum and bring folks to the light. They can open up and accept, or fight from fear, but soon enough it'll overtake all of us Warriors

        Ryan
        Signature
        Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad
        Retire to a Life of Island Hopping through Smart Blogging at Blogging From Paradise
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11338245].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Arbi619
    Good shit man. Definitely agree
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332824].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Originally Posted by shawnlebrun View Post

    Believe me, it's never about the money alone.

    Shawn,

    Wonderful and insightful post, as always. I happen to agree ... if it's only about the money, you'll never be satisfied with the amount you have because there are always others that have more.

    Thanks for sharing your personal story.

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332929].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IGotMine
    if it's only about the money, you'll never be satisfied with the amount you have because there are always others that have more
    I disagree. I'm in business to make money and the amount "others" have has no affect on my personal satisfaction.

    Two things that may affect the way I feel are:

    #1 I'm not greedy.

    #2 I'm not envious of "others" success or bank account balance.

    The only reason I continue to earn more money is my Grandchildren and hopefully (someday) Great-Grandchildren.
    Signature
    The $1 Billion Free Traffic "Loophole" - Done For You Free Traffic Software!
    Get Free Traffic Right Now >>>
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332998].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Originally Posted by IGotMine View Post

      The only reason I continue to earn more money is my Grandchildren and hopefully (someday) Great-Grandchildren.
      Then for you it's not just about the money ... It's about helping your loved ones. (Which is great.)
      : )

      2C
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi Shawn,

    How inspiring bro. Thanks so much for sharing.

    I have been close to that point myself; wondering if it was worth it to move forward, pondering ways to end my life. Feeling my pain, then moving forward doing something I loved doing - to impact people with that passion and service - was the difference maker.

    Folks fail to realize; larger and larger amounts of money flow in when you barely care about money, but care very much about helping people. It eludes most marketers, this simple and powerful concept. But the few servants who love their gig make an incredibly impact online and offline.

    Keep on inspiring dude.

    Ryan
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad
    Retire to a Life of Island Hopping through Smart Blogging at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11338243].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics