WHAT IS - Best Traffic to Send to Travel Comparison Site?

29 replies
Hey everyone,

I just created a site in the travel comparison niche. I just want some ideas/help with determining the best source of marketing to send traffic to it. So far I haven't done anything with it as it's brand new. It is monetized through the affiliate programs with the hotels, cars, etc. throughout the website.
#comparison #send #site #traffic #travel
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author DURABLEOILCOM
    Originally Posted by kevin25phillips View Post

    Hey everyone,

    I just created a site in the travel comparison niche. I just want some ideas/help with determining the best source of marketing to send traffic to it. So far I haven't done anything with it as it's brand new. It is monetized through the affiliate programs with the hotels, cars, etc. throughout the website.
    Pay per click would be very effective to use such as Google Adwords and Bing Ads. Find keywords for your niche and website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333158].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dave d
    You could leverage Youtube traffic, travel bloggers etc or even facebook groups, but you have not said if you want to use paid or free traffic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333199].message }}
    • I would like to learn more towards free traffic for right now and then make the jump once I get some actual traffic established.

      For Youtube...what would be a good strategy? Reaching out to travel bloggers asking them to promote it in their video or just a descriptions, etc.?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hookrooms
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333544].message }}
    • Originally Posted by hookrooms View Post

      Hi...

      Google adwords is the one of the best source to get more website traffic.
      Do Ad campaign in google adwords with limited bid to start with, you will get traffic and also do the display ads / banner ads in google adwords will make a great impact of website traffic.

      On top of this, google adwords have various paths to approach your unique audience with your banner ads to enhance your online presence and your website recognition.

      Hope the above information shall meet your requirements.

      Thanks

      link drop deleted by moderator
      It looks like we have pretty similar sites so I appreciate the advice. I actually started today with Bing Ads. A combination of paid and free as I redeemed the $100 coupon code. Let's see where this takes me.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333567].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author IGotMine
        Originally Posted by kevin25phillips View Post

        It looks like we have pretty similar sites so I appreciate the advice. I actually started today with Bing Ads. A combination of paid and free as I redeemed the $100 coupon code. Let's see where this takes me.
        What KWs are you targeting?
        Signature
        Gone Fishin'...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333604].message }}
        • Originally Posted by IGotMine View Post

          What KWs are you targeting?
          hotels, enterprise, jet blue, southwest, trip advisor, orbitz, priceline, cheap hotels, cheap flights, spain, travelocity, vacation, destination, expedia, car rentals, travel, flights, cruise
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333606].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author IGotMine
            Originally Posted by kevin25phillips View Post

            hotels, enterprise, jet blue, southwest, trip advisor, orbitz, priceline, cheap hotels, cheap flights, spain, travelocity, vacation, destination, expedia, car rentals, travel, flights, cruise
            I would suggest you tighten up your approach.

            If you get more specific with the KWs you target you can get much higher quality visitors.

            i.e. - "Cheap hotels in Miami"
            Signature
            Gone Fishin'...
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333676].message }}
            • Okay great that should be a big help. I am going to run this campaign for a day or two to test performance and then adjust accordingly and tighten up as suggested.

              Do you think targeting big events would be beneficial? For example, college students are going to Florida for Spring break so I use keywords such as cheap flights to fort lauderdale, etc.? Or a big fight in Vegas so I target that area.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333709].message }}
  • You may try Facebook Ads for very targeting audiences and Google Adwords, and them make retargeting to the most engaged people.

    Also you should start buliding your email list, so you can follow your subscribers given them reasons on why they should get a product or service for you.

    A good tool you can use for lead generation es ClickFunnels, so you may give it a try.

    Last but not least, you can try improving your SEO ranking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi Kevin,

    One source of rock-solid, qualified, long term traffic would be helping travel bloggers to build genuine friendships. The money and success and growth is in the long game. Take it from a travel blogger who has seen hundreds upon hundreds of folks try to leverage or use me, short term

    The folks who get the keys to Blogging From Paradise help me, befriend me and ask for nothing. Then over time, they get my recommendation and exposure to my 60,000 member tribe who trusts me and my endorsements.

    Easiest way to build a thriving travel business; long term approach.

    Ryan
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333671].message }}
    • Originally Posted by ryanbiddulph View Post

      Hi Kevin,

      One source of rock-solid, qualified, long term traffic would be helping travel bloggers to build genuine friendships. The money and success and growth is in the long game. Take it from a travel blogger who has seen hundreds upon hundreds of folks try to leverage or use me, short term

      The folks who get the keys to Blogging From Paradise help me, befriend me and ask for nothing. Then over time, they get my recommendation and exposure to my 60,000 member tribe who trusts me and my endorsements.

      Easiest way to build a thriving travel business; long term approach.

      Ryan
      If you don't mind me asking, how did you first come in contact with them and in what way were they able to help?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11334127].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11333836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Maxxx333
    You could try to level up your traffic buy using Facebook groups, to help you out with this. Also, youtube can be really helpful for this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11334132].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Yoobiz247
    i suggest facebook you are likely to get good response there
    Signature
    Ultimate Funnel builder : >>>http://bit.ly/2FhJurd
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11334385].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aaden Taylor
    These are the such a way for build traffic for your website

    Social Media
    Guest Blogging on Travel website
    Press release
    infographics
    Local Listing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11334479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Originally Posted by kevin25phillips View Post

    WHAT IS - Best Traffic to Send to Travel Comparison Site?

    The best traffic for most any kind of online money-making is specialized, highly targeted, ready-to-buy consumers ... hot prospects that are anxiously looking for exactly what you are offering.

    Unless you specialize and define your audience in a more discriminating way, you're going to be wasting your marketing dollars on cold prospects that will give you very low conversions.

    The travel market is HUGE! And most of the leads that will be sent to your paid campaigns won't convert because they are looking for a particular component or small niche within the travel marketplace that you can't service.

    If you want to convert leads into sales, you've got to laser focus on the wants/needs/desires of your leads and that won't happen very often if you consider everyone in the travel market as your pool of prospects. Dig down deep and get specific; otherwise, you'll be paying for prospects that have no interest in your generalized recommendations.

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11334725].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      The best traffic for most any kind of online money-making is specialized, highly targeted, ready-to-buy consumers ... hot prospects that are anxiously looking for exactly what you are offering.

      Unless you specialize and define your audience in a more discriminating way, you're going to be wasting your marketing dollars on cold prospects that will give you very low conversions.

      The travel market is HUGE! And most of the leads that will be sent to your paid campaigns won't convert because they are looking for a particular component or small niche within the travel marketplace that you can't service.

      If you want to convert leads into sales, you've got to laser focus on the wants/needs/desires of your leads and that won't happen very often if you consider everyone in the travel market as your pool of prospects. Dig down deep and get specific; otherwise, you'll be paying for prospects that have no interest in your generalized recommendations.

      Steve
      Okay great, now with that said and my site and everything being so general being that it is a travel comparison, what are your recommendations for focusing on a specific audience? Like what keywords to Target, etc...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11334753].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by kevin25phillips View Post

    Do you think targeting big events would be beneficial? For example, college students are going to Florida for Spring break so I use keywords such as cheap flights to fort lauderdale, etc.? Or a big fight in Vegas so I target that area.
    It can be, if you manage it properly.

    The trick is to start advertising far enough in advance of the event and cutting off your ads when the event is past.

    For example, you don't want to advertise to spring breakers the day after they go back to school, nor do you want to advertise to them 11 months before they go. Same with an event like a fight. Start promoting the second you learn of the event, and cut off the campaign a day or two before the event.

    You should also be capturing emails segmented by the type of ad they clicked (spring breakers, fight fans, bird watchers (some of whom will travel great distances to see migrations up close), hunters, anglers, etc.. Between promotable events, you can email them updates about coming events, travel tips, even affiliate promos for gear, guidebooks, etc.

    I can hear the moans already about the low commissions on guidebooks and such. It's true, you won't get rich selling guidebooks. But you will start conditioning your subscribers to a) seeing offers from you, and b) clicking/buying those offers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11334768].message }}
    • Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      It can be, if you manage it properly.

      The trick is to start advertising far enough in advance of the event and cutting off your ads when the event is past.

      For example, you don't want to advertise to spring breakers the day after they go back to school, nor do you want to advertise to them 11 months before they go. Same with an event like a fight. Start promoting the second you learn of the event, and cut off the campaign a day or two before the event.

      You should also be capturing emails segmented by the type of ad they clicked (spring breakers, fight fans, bird watchers (some of whom will travel great distances to see migrations up close), hunters, anglers, etc.. Between promotable events, you can email them updates about coming events, travel tips, even affiliate promos for gear, guidebooks, etc.

      I can hear the moans already about the low commissions on guidebooks and such. It's true, you won't get rich selling guidebooks. But you will start conditioning your subscribers to a) seeing offers from you, and b) clicking/buying those offers.
      How would I go about capturing emails by ad type? And what do you think would be most beneficial.....an opt-in pop up form when you first open the website or just having an opt-in form throughout the footer or some area without the pop-up, maybe combination of both?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335313].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by kevin25phillips View Post

        How would I go about capturing emails by ad type?
        Kevin, there are two fairly simple ways to do this.

        The easiest way is to simply create new lists for each ad type. Label each list with the market segment - spring breakers, fight fans, etc. In the ad, send them to a landing page created to appeal to that segment.

        The other way is to add an ID field to your form, and when you send announcements, you send them only to people with the relevant ID by using the filters offered by your ESP.

        Being an engineer by education, I tend to prefer simple options, so I usually pick the first.

        Originally Posted by kevin25phillips View Post

        And what do you think would be most beneficial.....an opt-in pop up form when you first open the website or just having an opt-in form throughout the footer or some area without the pop-up, maybe combination of both?
        Here's how I like to do things.

        If the person is responding to an ad, with a dedicated landing page, I put opt-in forms at the top right and at the end of the content. Then I use an exit pop.

        If the person lands on a 'regular' page - blog post, video page, etc., I keep the forms on the page - top right and at the end of the content, then add a timed popup about 20 seconds in rather than smacking people over the head with a popup as soon as they arrive. The 20 seconds isn't a rule, just a starting guess. Look at your stats for that page, and set the popup for a few seconds less than the average time on page for that page.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336015].message }}
  • Originally Posted by kevin25phillips View Post

    Hey everyone,

    I just created a site in the travel comparison niche. I just want some ideas/help with determining the best source of marketing to send traffic to it.
    Killer mistake #1.

    You never build a site or product, and then go and ask, "how do i market it". The niche itself & the demand itself should tell you the reason where and how to market it.

    You're better off starting over in a brand new niche, because you're going to wind up spending MUCH more money in promotion than you should have to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11334827].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DripRevenue
    As others have stated, Adwords and Bing for sure. Target keywords like "best travel websites" or "cheapest travel sites." Can be a very profitable niche if done properly on search.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11334950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 1Bryan
    Randall gave you the best advice.

    P.S. All I can say is check CPCs. Geo-specific in any competitive market hasn't been cheap clicks in a LONG time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335008].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author affmarketer101
    1. Tripadvisor review
    2. Guest bposting/Reviews on travel bloggers sites
    3. Sponsored on Instagram - travel influencers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cearionmarie
    Social media can help greatly when it comes to traffic. You can work with bloggers on the travel niche and do some collaborations.
    Signature

    Cearion Uy - Marketing Advisor
    www.influencerauditor.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335807].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hookrooms
    Google adwords are the best source of increasing the website traffic, need to spend some budget regularly to adwords and monitor the cpc and keywords bids.

    Initially start with adwords and slowly push with facebook ads, reddit ads, quora ads etc., hope you will find some instant traffic in your website.

    thanks
    hookrooms
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336582].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RogerBurns
    Are you using Adwords or any type of PPC marketing? I usually use attraction marketing and affiliate marketing myself but I dabbled into PPC and it has been working.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336816].message }}
    • I've used some Bing Ads and gotten some good response. Only ran it for about 4 days though so still figuring everything out.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336893].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author farenexus 1
    Facebook ads and google adwords are really helpful for marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11421553].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics