Getting p*ssed off with All In One SEO plugin - GRRR!!!

17 replies
It seems every week there is an "update" for this plugin.

This wouldn't normally get up my nose, however every time I do the upgrade, it deactivates.

To reactivate you have to go to the plugin config page where you are asked to make a donation to the author. The donation buttons are getting bigger and bigger with each "update" as well.

Am I just getting old and cynical, or are the constant "upgrades" just an excuse to "encourage" donations.

Whatever it is, it is ANNOYING!!!

Anyone know of a good alternative to this once great plugin?
#grrr #plugin #pssed #seo
  • Profile picture of the author madison_avenue
    I have heard that SEO platinum is good.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1277102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RebeccaL
    I dont notice the donation part to be honest.. I just scroll down and reactivate it.
    Annoying, but if something IS actually being updated then its worth it.. but I can't really see what is actually being updated so regularly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1277115].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
      Originally Posted by RebeccaL View Post

      .. but I can't really see what is actually being updated so regularly.
      That's my point, is anything actually being updated?
      Signature
      Why do garden gnomes smell so bad?
      So that blind people can hate them as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1277150].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stallion
    I heard that all the updates were to keep it listed as a top plugin. Since top plugins are measured by most downloads.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1277163].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
      Originally Posted by Stallion View Post

      I heard that all the updates were to keep it listed as a top plugin. Since top plugins are measured by most downloads.
      That's just as bad as the donation angle. That plugin appears on EVERY must have plugin recommended by experts and newbies alike. Surely all that word of mouth promotion would get them at the top of the list anyway.

      GRRR!!!
      Signature
      Why do garden gnomes smell so bad?
      So that blind people can hate them as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1277184].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author VegasGreg
    I stopped upgrading that plugin for the most part as it is no longer 1 click. They want you to go back to the settings page each time for no apparent reason.
    Signature

    Greg Schueler - Wordpress Fanatic... Living The Offline Marketing Dream...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1277276].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JordanFrancis
    Headspace is an alternative. It is often praised.

    I use Thesis Theme which has the basics built-in SEO wise. So when I create a page, right there on the page I can enter the page title, meta description and meta keywords. No plugin required.

    BUT I still have headspace activated on one blog because it has some extra functionality that I use, and I only need those bits on certain pages. And the headspace code is only added on pages that use it, so I am not adding bulk unnecessarily. But I can't comment how good the plugin is because I really only use a small part of it.

    So there you go =)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1277342].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shane Dolby
    What i think is funny is how you are mad at a company that is giving you something for free! or at most a modest donation? they have cost to build and maintain the plugin.

    Shane
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1278111].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nahar
      Originally Posted by Shane Dolby View Post

      What i think is funny is how you are mad at a company that is giving you something for free! or at most a modest donation? they have cost to build and maintain the plugin.
      It's true the plugin is free and obviously the company that owns it deserves our money, but it also makes sense that in a long run they shouldn't benefit from making things harder for their customers.

      I like to think that this thread (that would never show up if we weren't forced to waste our time upgrading) will help us find a good alternative to All in One SEO Pack. I am definitely looking for one.
      Signature
      Read a fiction novel about Entrepreneurship and Self Improvement - free for the first 500
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1278281].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author waken
        Originally Posted by Nahar View Post

        It's true the plugin is free and obviously the company that owns it deserves our money, but it also makes sense that in a long run they shouldn't benefit from making things harder for their customers.
        Nope. No force involved whether or not you want to pull your wallet out. But love the fact that the plugin is being constantly updated so that it will be compatible with the Wordpress frequent update too.. Just imagine your favorite plugin not working with the latest Firefox release. Damn it ..

        Originally Posted by Nahar View Post

        I like to think that this thread (that would never show up if we weren't forced to waste our time upgrading) will help us find a good alternative to All in One SEO Pack. I am definitely looking for one.
        Ok.. see your point anyway .. here's one: WordPress › Platinum SEO Pack WordPress Plugins

        (Note: Never use this before but seem to have all the features you're looking for).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1278316].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheRichJerksNet
    I have not upgraded the plugin in months and works just fine for me .. If it is not broke then why fix it ... Just because something has an update does not mean you should run and update it ....

    James
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1278365].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
      about WordPress updates and updates to plugins:

      if there is an update - do it!
      plugins are notorious for getting hacked. If for nothing else other than security reasons, always update your version of WordPress as well as all of your WordPress plugins....

      just my $.02

      Signature
      ---------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1278484].message }}
  • I'm currently using a WP plugin called "SEO Ultimate," developed by a Chicago-based SEO firm we hired to help with our Internet marketing efforts.

    From our experience, it's much easier to configure, and offers more effective (and automated) SEO tools for WordPress than the "all-in-one SEO" plugin. Recommende!

    SEO Ultimate is Unleashed and Available for Download by SEO Design Solutions?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1278527].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lanta99
    Well anyways here's a changelog for all of the updates (found from their website)

    All in One SEO Pack Changelog | WordPress Developer
    Signature
    --Live SEO Challenge--
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1278547].message }}

Trending Topics