Are you planning for tons of free content becoming available Jan 1?

by Kurt
15 replies
Jan. 1, 2019 is a big date for marketers, as it's the first time in 20 years that more creative works will enter the public domain in the US.

Back in 1998, the US Congress extended the period of time a copyright can be held. This means that for the past 20 years virtually no media has entered the public domain in the US. Jan 1, 2019 will mark the end of the first 20 year extension.

This also means that on Jan 1 of every new year in the future, even more works will enter the public domain, unless Congress changes things again.

A great thing about Public Domain content is not only is it free, but if you're selling things like templates of any kind or videos to others, you can do so legally with public domain content.

For more details, check out this article:
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...opy-me/557420/
#content #free #jan #planning #tons
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

    Jan. 1, 2019 is a big date for marketers, as it's the first time in 20 years that more creative works will enter the public domain in the US.

    Back in 1998, the US Congress extended the period of time a copyright can be held. This means that for the past 20 years virtually no media has entered the public domain in the US. Jan 1, 2019 will mark the end of the first 20 year extension.

    This also means that on Jan 1 of every new year in the future, even more works will enter the public domain, unless Congress changes things again.

    A great thing about Public Domain content is not only is it free, but if you're selling things like templates of any kind or videos to others, you can do so legally with public domain content.

    For more details, check out this article:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...opy-me/557420/
    I need to clarify my statement in red for accuracy. Actually, a lot of media has entered the public domain in the past 20 years. This is because a lot of people have given their creations to the public domain. Sites like Pixabay where people upload photos they've taken and donated their creations to the public domain are examples.

    What I should have said was that very few copyrights have expired in the past 20 years, allowing those works to enter the public domain.
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11418946].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gloworks
    Well I just joined WF and already got a fantastic bit of advisory info. Thank you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11418951].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Good clarification as new public domain content still enters the Internet every day of the year and has done so for decades. The U.S. Government is the single largest contributor of pd material and it cranks out more and more content daily as the years go by.


    "Are you planning for tons of free content becoming available Jan 1?"


    No. Honestly, I don't think anyone will notice. A few pd sellers/users may look forward to that date . . . but for the vast majority of marketers, no one is going to bat an eyelash. Public domain is an obscure little marketplace that few pay attention to.


    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11418977].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      Good clarification as new public domain content still enters the Internet every day of the year and has done so for decades. The U.S. Government is the single largest contributor of pd material and it cranks out more and more content daily as the years go by.


      "Are you planning for tons of free content becoming available Jan 1?"


      No. Honestly, I don't think anyone will notice. A few pd sellers/users may look forward to that date . . . but for the vast majority of marketers, no one is going to bat an eyelash. Public domain is an obscure little marketplace that few pay attention to.


      Steve
      The foundation of Disney was built on public domain stories.

      Anther example is Google used the open source OS Linux to base the Android on OS. I believe Apple also uses Linux for the Apple OS?

      WordPress is open source.

      Many top sellers on Etsy have used public domain works to create products. They sell all sorts of products based on public domain works.

      Anyone that creates templates of just about any kind that they want to sell to others can use public domain media and be legit.

      Ways marketers can use public domain content:
      Create your own products which allow you to expand your reach by having affiliates sell them for you by listing them on sites like JVZoo, WarriorPlus, Clickbank, Amazon and more.
      Give them away to build email lists.
      Add as bonuses for your own products and affiliate products.
      Sell on platforms with built-in traffic like Etsy, eBay, Envato and Amazon Merch.
      Create products in a wide variety of niches.
      Use public domain vintage "how to" articles to create Youtube videos and training courses.

      The question is, how to use the stuff that will be released in a couple of months?Those that bring these assets to market first will have an advantage.
      Signature
      Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
      Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11419029].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
        Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

        The foundation of Disney was built on public domain stories.

        Anther example is Google used the open source OS Linux to base the Android on OS. I believe Apple also uses Linux for the Apple OS?

        WordPress is open source.

        Many top sellers on Etsy have used public domain works to create products. They sell all sorts of products based on public domain works.

        Anyone that creates templates of just about any kind that they want to sell to others can use public domain media and be legit.

        Ways marketers can use public domain content:
        Create your own products which allow you to expand your reach by having affiliates sell them for you by listing them on sites like JVZoo, WarriorPlus, Clickbank, Amazon and more.
        Give them away to build email lists.
        Add as bonuses for your own products and affiliate products.
        Sell on platforms with built-in traffic like Etsy, eBay, Envato and Amazon Merch.
        Create products in a wide variety of niches.
        Use public domain vintage "how to" articles to create Youtube videos and training courses.

        The question is, how to use the stuff that will be released in a couple of months?Those that bring these assets to market first will have an advantage.
        Excellent post Kurt! There are times that someone presents to the forum with "The Next Big Thing" or a "Eureka Moment" or a "Golden Nugget" and this is of of them.

        As many already know, the industry calls it 'First Mover' though I personally call it 'First to the Market' and yes I absolutely agree "Those that bring these assets to market first will have an advantage."

        What is a 'First Mover'
        A first mover is a service or product that gains advantage by being the first to market. Being first typically enables a company to establish strong brand recognition and customer loyalty before competitors enter the arena. Other advantages include additional time to perfect its product or service and setting the market price for the new item.
        Source: InvestOpedia
        All marketers would be wise to take advantage of being the first to market for those reasons (Business 101). Especially those interested in successful Internet Marketing.

        PD with expired copyright may have already been on the market, but the product/service was not always successful. In light of the PD change there exists the possibility for Internet Marketers to scale-up the content and make it successful. Exactly what Internet Marketers decide to do with it is subjective. Though I suspect many will sell it, i.e. take advantage of it.

        Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

        Good clarification as new public domain content still enters the Internet every day of the year and has done so for decades. The U.S. Government is the single largest contributor of pd material and it cranks out more and more content daily as the years go by.

        "Are you planning for tons of free content becoming available Jan 1?"

        No. Honestly, I don't think anyone will notice. A few pd sellers/users may look forward to that date . . . but for the vast majority of marketers, no one is going to bat an eyelash. Public domain is an obscure little marketplace that few pay attention to.

        Steve

        I agree. IMO, in many ways it is unfortunate the vast majority of marketers will not pay attention to it because they do not pay attention to it now for lack of the knowledge. I say it is unfortunate in many ways, but more so that new innovative ideas will be missed. However, when PD content is doe right legally there is a lot of money on the table.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11447017].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steve B
        Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

        The foundation of Disney was built on public domain stories.

        Anther example is Google used the open source OS Linux to base the Android on OS. I believe Apple also uses Linux for the Apple OS?

        WordPress is open source.

        Many top sellers on Etsy have used public domain works to create products. They sell all sorts of products based on public domain works.

        Anyone that creates templates of just about any kind that they want to sell to others can use public domain media and be legit.

        Ways marketers can use public domain content:
        Create your own products which allow you to expand your reach by having affiliates sell them for you by listing them on sites like JVZoo, WarriorPlus, Clickbank, Amazon and more.
        Give them away to build email lists.
        Add as bonuses for your own products and affiliate products.
        Sell on platforms with built-in traffic like Etsy, eBay, Envato and Amazon Merch.
        Create products in a wide variety of niches.
        Use public domain vintage "how to" articles to create Youtube videos and training courses.

        The question is, how to use the stuff that will be released in a couple of months?Those that bring these assets to market first will have an advantage.


        Kurt,

        No argument from me about any of what you're saying. I just don't think there's any particular rush on Jan. 1st. I don't think "first mover" status is that critical or time sensitive, in this case. Why?

        Simply because a hundred marketers can use the same public domain material at any time, each creating their own unique product. As is usually the case, the best products will rise to the top regardless of whether that product is first to the market.

        IMO, no need to rush out on Jan. 1st in order to put your public domain material up for sale.

        I am a big proponent of public domain material, BTW.

        Thanks for the thread.

        Steve
        Signature

        Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
        SteveBrowneDirect

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11447293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ian Jackson
    Surely PD content is ongoing, or "rolling"?
    Signature
    Make 2020 Your Year. Self-styled online writer reveals...
    12 FREE Reports + Bonus From 5 Figure/Month Self-Styled Online Writer (no upsell).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11419014].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    Although some may consider that date to be useful, the general feeling of what happens on December 31st/January 1st is one of major parties, celebrations and consumption of massive amounts of alcohol and food. Many people end up sleeping for some of January 1st and wake up on January 2nd, when work isn't much of a consideration.


    I know this doesn't describe everybody. I, for one, don't fit this category, but there's still a lot of truth in it.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Website / Blog for more info.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11419055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sarkerpintu
    I am thinking about this. Welcome.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11419886].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Benjamin Ehinger
    This is pretty interesting and something I wasn't aware of. Thanks for sharing!

    Benjamin Ehinger
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11447314].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author funnelmentals
    Wish I knew what this meant haha, I'm going to check out the article.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11447318].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    This page has a good list of how and where you can download thousands of books that just entered the Public Domain:


    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...-public-domain
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11469204].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

      This page has a good list of how and where you can download thousands of books that just entered the Public Domain:


      https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...-public-domain
      Thanks for that link, and the OP months ago. We've found several works, and we'll be making DERIVATIVE products around the original work.

      A few years ago, marketer Joe Vitale and an associate did a WORKBOOK derived from THINK AND GROW RICH.

      What is important, isn't first to market, but how to wrap those old works around a product which your buyers (if you have a list) might want, or one targeted to a niche. And there are thousands of titles, which didn't do very well in the market, but are now available to use in their entirety, with so called "fair use" notices or citations.

      There was an advertising book published in 1923, which I am wrapping a modern version around, showing, not much has changed, from a human behavior view.

      Lots of opportunity, thanks for the heads up.

      Gordonj
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11469208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    I do incorporate Public Domain material into my products and marketing from time-to-time...so yes, took notice of this. Not overly noteworthy except that there is now more material available.

    We do create 95%+ of our content in-house and only augment with paid research/content and public domain where it makes the most sense (something exists that we would have spent days developing already).

    Good to let everyone know and "remind" them about public domain as yet another source of generating content though...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11469225].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics