1. Generate revenue
2. Feed into my product "funnel".
The only advantage (is it really an advantage?) I can think of going with the "big boys" in this field is the (credibility?) that having a book published by them brings. However, I wonder if I will be giving too much control away (and might not even be in a position to negotiate meaningful royalties).
I have written a book before (in this same area), but I (rather foolishly), did not get paid anything for it, even though it did do relatively well for a period of time, for the publisher. I don't want to go down that route again.
However, self publishing seems to be relatively uncharted waters, but the path is not as clear to me (or perhaps I'm being too cautious). My main concerns are (in no particular order):
1. Correctly selecting the book size, also softback or hardcover?
2. Correctly selecting a sweet price point for the book
3. Holding stock: I don't really want to end up stocking books, waiting for demand to pick up - I've heard of "pre-ordering" but not clear on how to actually do it
4. How to take payments/orders for the book (and even how to package and send them - do I need to pre-order boxes for packaging etc.?)
Any advice from someone who has been down this route before will be very helpful indeed.