11 replies
I'm the recently hired marketing director of a record label. We are starting to launch a marketing campaign for one of our new artists. We are wondering if there is a minimum amount that needs to be spent on ads to make a dent. We have a potential investor, and we need to create a budget. Will $20,000 be enough to make it worth it or do we need to aim higher?
#media #social
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    You don't spend anything on ads until you've established a sizeable following for the act. Even then you don't allocate a specific ad amount - you test and tweak until the ads are cost-effective. At that point any "budget" is irrelevant.

    Seriously, do you have any recent music marketing experience? These days you need a combination of an integrated and holistic marketing strategy to break any music artist. You can't get away with simply throwing money at ads.
    .
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11478184].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Krystof1989
      No. That's why I'm asking.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11478190].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        Originally Posted by Krystof1989 View Post

        No. That's why I'm asking.
        Then I don't think you understand... there is actual dollars at stake here... there are peoples lively hoods, people dreams, peoples hopes...

        You want an education in the music field.. you need to find someone somewhere that will take you on as an intern for a year.. just to get a TASTE.. because right now.. you are only going to hurt those around you and ultimately YOU.

        In the music industry failure is remembered for a very long time.. so basically you mess up once, and you are changing career paths. And right now.. that is the path you are on.

        I would suggest thinking about what it is you are doing, and why... before you step up to the responsibility you will be undertaking.

        And I pray for you, that you are not somewhere like Atlanta... because this is the kind of stuff that gets people shot.. and that's no joke
        Signature
        Success is an ACT not an idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11478193].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Krystof1989
          Okay. Try it like this next time.

          Hey that sounds like a huge undertaking. Good for you. I don't know your situation, but, if you haven't taken advertising classes yet or interned for a year, you might want to do it. Generally, it doesn't work to buy ads unless you first have a following. The trick, of course, is finding artists that already have one. But again, I don't know your situation. For all I know, you could just be posting a hypothetical situation to learn something. That's great too. Hope this helps and good luck.

          Oh, and if you're really praying for someone because you care you don't talk about them getting shot. You say, "Based on assumptions I've made with only a small amount of knowledge, I'm going to pray for you, because I'm a loving and caring person and I try really hard not to be condescending."

          I'm done with this forum, but I hope no one who actually is a marketing director starting a new job ever gets any advice from you.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11478200].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    hate to say it.. but yeah its pretty clear you are probably in over your head.... forget Ad spend.. what is the creatives budget?
    Signature
    Success is an ACT not an idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11478189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Krystof1989
    Really disappointed in this forum. Your information is somewhat helpful, but do you have to be so rude?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11478192].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by Krystof1989 View Post

      Really disappointed in this forum. Your information is somewhat helpful, but do you have to be so rude?
      I can get rude if you like... Its just very clear you do not understand what you have gotten yourself into.. you want REAL advice... get out while you can.
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11478194].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gambino
    Originally Posted by Krystof1989 View Post

    Really disappointed in this forum. Your information is somewhat helpful, but do you have to be so rude?
    I wasn't going to respond because my initial thought was that you and/or the record label should hire someone who knows what they're doing.

    You're potentially going to take $20,000 of an investors money but don't know how to spend it or what to spend it on. Please tell the investor that your budget is just a theory.

    Hire someone who knows what they're doing in your niche/market to consult and/or oversee this before you spend $20,000 attending the school of hard knocks with an investors money.
    Signature

    GetRidOfManBoobs.com is for sale.
    PM any and all offers.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11478196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    So the kinder gentler me is going to give you this.. instead of laying out a path for you I am going to make you work for it a bit... I don't know if you have heard of Gary Vaynerchuck before... but he is someone you need to be binge watching on youtube. Specifically look for the videos where he is with his artist clients... write down the names of said clients... Pay attention to the platforms he suggests for each of them... and then get out to each of those and find the artist, and see exactly what they are doing

    I would venture to say there will be a lot to learn from this little exercise...

    And I do hope that helps
    Signature
    Success is an ACT not an idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11478201].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Originally Posted by Krystof1989 View Post

    Okay. Try it like this next time.

    Hey that sounds like a huge undertaking. Good for you. I don't know your situation, but, if you haven't taken advertising classes yet or interned for a year, you might want to do it. Generally, it doesn't work to buy ads unless you first have a following. The trick, of course, is finding artists that already have one. But again, I don't know your situation. For all I know, you could just be posting a hypothetical situation to learn something. That's great too. Hope this helps and good luck.

    Oh, and if you're really praying for someone because you care you don't talk about them getting shot. You say, "Based on assumptions I've made with only a small amount of knowledge, I'm going to pray for you, because I'm a loving and caring person and I try really hard not to be condescending."

    I'm done with this forum, but I hope no one who actually is a marketing director starting a new job ever gets any advice from you.
    And maybe you should have tried it like this:

    Hi guys, I'm new to marketing but I'd really like to get into promoting music artists. Could anyone with experience in this field give me a few pointers on where I should start? For example, should I try to get a job as an intern at a record label, or see if there's a local band I could offer to help?
    .
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11478204].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11478206].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post

      But I won't...
      Yeah ya did! LOL

      Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post

      Don't like the answers you get? Shoot the messenger!
      ME being the messenger.. probably not a good idea.. #1 I live in West Virginia #2 I have worked in Atlanta.. amongst other areas. #3 I actually wear fitted caps with my area code across the front.. albiet they do say "Redneck Style" across the back ( referring to the way I wear my hat as in bent and backwards instead of them city folk that where them half cocked and crooked ) #4 I could see wanting to maybe shoot me..but the fact is, I am probably about dead on in my "Assumptions"
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11478208].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics