What do you think of the following strategy to promote an online software company, without doing traditional content marketing - but while still being cool and all?
1) Create a brief and clean sales page for one simple (but valuable) piece of software. Put an actual, working buy button on the page.
2) Create a separate landing page that says something to the effect of:
"Download [software name] that [gives you these benefits].
It sells for $X at [URL]. But don't buy it from there. You can download it for free from the link below.
We have a selfish motive for doing this. If you use this piece of software, and you like it, perhaps you will consider checking out some of our other pieces of software over at [URL].
But for now, just use this software and benefit from it, with our compliments.
Click this link to download the software."
3) The download link points to a zip file. The file includes the software itself, as well as other "supporting files" like:
- An HTML page with links to even more free, helpful stuff (unannounced bonuses).
- A video or special report that provides actual value and at the same time presells people on our company and explains why someone would benefit from doing business with us (think advertorial, but more useful).
4) Send paid traffic to the landing page that gives away the free software (mentioned in "step 2" above).
What do you think?
How could we make this process even better?
Thanks in advance!