Motivational post for those who have yet to make their first dollar online

16 replies
I still consider myself to be pretty inexperienced in the IM game, but I have been at it for the last 6 years now. Only in the last 3 years have I actually taken it seriously though.

I'm at the point now where the money that I make online constitutes the majority of my total income. However, I'm not yet at the "full time income" level. I consider $5K/month to be the minimum to constitute full time income, and I'm not quite there.

The most important thing that I've learned is that there has never been anything that I had put online that I haven't made at least something from, even if only a little bit.

The first thing that I ever did was to write an eBook and sell it on Amazon and Smashwords. I also made a Wordpress site, and sold it from there as well. I put very little effort into promoting the ebook, but somehow I managed to sell about 10 to 15 copies of that book in total.

I wrote about 7 other eBooks in total during my "not taking IM seriously, but still dabbling" years. I'd estimate that of all the eBooks that I wrote in those years, I sold maybe 50 to 75 copies in total. I put a ton of effort into writing them, but had no motivation to market them. I still made some sales nonetheless. The only "promotion" that I did was to have a link to my website in my forum signature for every forum that I posted on regularly.

There was no real strategy. I was motivated enough to write the books, but lost motivation when it came to promoting them, which is where 95% of the game is played.

I also dabbled in affiliate marketing. I made some videos about doing dirtbike mods, and I posted links to the parts that I used via amazon affiliate links. Again, I didn't really put that much energy into making a lot of money out of it, but I did make a bit of income. My best month of Amazon putting money into my bank was about $45, which happened a couple years ago. To this day, I still get a small bit a residual income each month from Amazon. This month they gave me $4.88 . It's not much, but it's something. Again, I was motivated enough to get started, but not enough to follow through and actually try to make a real business.

I read a cool ebook once where the writer of the book offered $15 in affiliate commission for each book sale you make. I made a post on a forum that I was a member of, and already posted on regularly. I did a book review, and I posted an affiliate link. I asked the forum admin for permission before doing so. I made about 4 affiliate sales on that over the course of 2 or 3 years.

I then decided to get serious. I picked a niche that I felt that I could stick with for many years, and I was determined to give it a real shot. I've spent the last 3 years sticking to just one thing and consistently putting effort into it. As a result, the income has been steadily growing each and every month every since I started, and has resulted in me now making a part-time living online .

The moral of the story is that it's pretty easy to make money online, even if only a little bit. If you can make a dollar or so, then you can make 2. If you can make 2, then you can probably make 10 or 20. If you can make 10 or 20, you could probably make 50, and so on...

I hear "5 years of taking it seriously" is a minimum requirement of becoming successful with this stuff. I'm on year 3, and that seems about right.

TL;DR

Just pick something and stick with it for 5 years minimum, and you will probably be successful.
#dollar #make #motivational #online #post
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Farjanacpa
    wow... it's a good earning.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jmosticc22
    Glad to read about your story here, I am not yet near 5 years yet but I definitely could see why most people will say that. It takes a lot of time and patients to build something that can replace your income.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500033].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex July
    This posts reminded me of "The One Thing" by Gary Keller
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500037].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author King Manu
    Thanks for your post. I totally agree with you that it takes time and people should not give up.

    While I don't say a specific time, because it all depends on the amount of personal growth and effort, it does take time to make the money you want and you should never give up.

    When I started 10 years ago, I had no idea how I was going to make money online, but I was determined to find out. People laughed at my plans and my ambition. Not to mention that I didn't have money to invest, so I had to figure it out how to make money without investing too much.

    But I didn't care. I tried everything and I hustled hard. The first money that I made was from farming World of Warcraft with a bot and selling the gold. After that fell off, I tried tons of things.

    Creating free blogs with content, creating websites and selling them, making music instrumentals, working with Photoshop, selling domains, you name it. I tried everything I could imagine until I found the thing I am most passionate about... writing.

    I don't think I could have got it to the point I am now where I write for a living, if I didn't go through all the other steps and if I didn't try all those things.

    We just have to set a big goal, and then do everything we can think of to achieve it. As others have done it, so could we.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500044].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWaters
    Thanks for sharing your story. If certainly shows the importance of being persistent and staying focused. i know I have been guilty of losing my focus but when I limit that my results improve.
    Signature
    How I really Make Money With Amazon

    Want to get rich with top rated FREE Super Affiliate Training?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500065].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author palmtreelife
    You've had a nice transition from dabbling to serious, but I don't think it takes 5 years in any field to be successful.

    Yes, some require years of education (i.e. doctor) or years of practice (i.e sports). You said it yourself that it's easy to make money online, even if just a little. You've set a bar of $5k/month for full time income and imply that is successful. There's no right or wrong answer to that.

    However, I think most people who take IM seriously from day 1 can and do hit that $5/month target much sooner than 5 years. If someone is coachable, follows a mentor and has a good work ethic, the chances of earning $5k/month within a year of starting is achievable.

    It sounds like you're well on your way and will hit your target soon. Well done and thanks for sharing your journey!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500127].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
    Originally Posted by Bkelly301 View Post


    Just pick something and stick with it for 5 years minimum, and you will probably be successful.
    Second most depressing "motivational" post at WF. The only one which has you beat, is the guy who spent 11 years before he started making any money.

    And yet, in the Warrior Path sub forum, savidge4 has a 9 year old son who is making money in his first 30 days. Give that kid 5 years and watch out.

    Honestly, you really think this is encouraging?

    GordonJ
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500143].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bkelly301
      Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

      Honestly, you really think this is encouraging?
      Yes. Yes I do.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500172].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
        Originally Posted by Bkelly301 View Post

        Yes. Yes I do.
        Are you willing to explore this further? The reason I ask is, I think you may have a lot more value to share, then what your original post does.

        And I'm willing to offer some help, if you either want it or need it, in exchange for taking a closer look at what happened, fair enough?

        Let's go back 6 years. Something about Internet Marketing caught your eye, what was it? Do you remember when you first thought, "Gee, I might be able to make some money with this online stuff."

        You wrote an ebook. That took some time and attention. Did you write about what you knew about? And you did sell a few copies, and you did set up a word press site.

        All good start stuff, right? During your "dabbling" years, can we safely assume you had the full time income thing covered? You wrote a few more, were they related topics?

        You say you put a ton of effort into creating them, but lacked motivation to market them, was this because your income was steady, and you really didn't have the desire to spend time with the marketing?

        3 years ago, you decided to get serious. What happened? What changed your mind, and gave you the motivation to get serious about it?

        Now, knowing what you know today, about taking things seriously, do you think it will take you another 2 years to reach that 5k a month level? Why?

        I want to understand, you and other Warriors like you who seem to waste a lot of time in the dabbling years, chasing shiny objects, flitting around and maybe, maybe a lot of that is necessary for MOST people, I really don't know.

        But it is also the thing I see wrong with MOST of the people, who are not clear on what they want to do, and the result of that "lack of a REAL STRATEGY" as you say, almost guarantees someone to get on the search and seek trail.

        I wonder if a goal, a desire other than a certain level of income, expedites the process?

        Five years is a long time. Average college students take 4 years to get their degree.

        Five years of wandering and dabbling seems to be a long time, to me. But I don't know.

        I find it difficult to help people at this early stage of their journey. I suspect that many people don't know what the options or the possibilities are, so they have to dabble here and there.

        It appears you picked a niche 3 years ago, which you like, and know about, and feel like you can stay with it for the long haul. Do you feel you had to wander the 3 years prior?

        Do you think had you taken the time 6 years ago to pick the one thing and focused on it, these last 6 years would have gotten you further? I know this is speculative, but I'm trying to understand what are the

        initial blocks.

        What is the darkness that so many wander around in? Is it simply not knowing the options? Is it not knowing themselves, their strengths and weaknesses?

        Is it not knowing how goal setting works in the world? Is it lack of motivation because the status quo is good enough for the moment?

        I appreciate you taking the time to respond, certainly wasn't or isn't a personal thing, I truly don't get why it takes so many people 5 or more years to reach their goals.

        Perhaps, by you sharing your take on what happened, and others who might chime in, we can find if there are any common mistakes, what can we do to help others shave that first 3 years off, and start today, where you started 3 years ago, that is, getting serious about what they want to do.

        I think you will find a lot of Warriors who have probably shared those early years with you, and maybe, maybe, whatever the switch was for you, it might work for other people.

        If someone came to you for help, say a cousin or friend, and knowing what you know today, what and where would you start them?

        Thanks for your post, even though it scares ME, it may be more of a universal situation than I am aware of. In the past, I've given people 30 months to reach their goals and many had that 5k a month in mind too. The difference, I think,

        but don't know

        is they started focused after an intense 30 days of exploring options and potential and zooming in on what THEY would do without quitting or dabbling for those 30 months.

        GordonJ
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500270].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Bkelly301
          Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

          Are you willing to explore this further? The reason I ask is, I think you may have a lot more value to share, then what your original post does.
          It's nearly impossible to sum up my entire IM journey over the last 6 years into just 1 single post, but I can tell you specifically why things didn't really start to 'click' until within the last 2 years....

          Belief

          I didn't actually BELIEVE that I could make any significant amount of money online until about 2 years ago.

          I mean, I knew it was possible. In fact, I quit my engineering job in 2012 specifically so that I could make a living online. However, I didn't actually believe that I was capable of doing it until about 2 years ago.

          My IM journey started out when I bought a course called "Getting Rich with eBooks" for $400, which now sells for about $900. In hindsight, that course was insanely overpriced. However, it caused me to take the following actions:

          - Write my first eBook
          - Create my first website
          - Connect the eBook to the website in a manner that people can buy it without me needing to be present for the transaction

          This simple process taught me a lot, but I still didn't believe that anyone would actually go to my website, let alone buy my eBook.

          To my surprise, I actually did get a bit of traffic to that site, and I made a $7 sale every once in a while (maybe 1 sale every month or 2).

          I made an effort to create more eBooks, and I sold at least 1 copy of every single one. I also made several "package deals", and I made at least 1 sale for each bundle offer.

          I didn't make much though. 1 sale every month or 2 months really wasn't motivating me enough to give it a legitimate effort.

          It did however, upgrade my belief system. I knew that I was capable of creating a "product", connecting it to a payment processor and making sales.

          After slacking for a few years, I decided to give it a serious effort. I built another website, and loaded it up with free content, which took me about 6 months. I then created a "course", which I put up for sale for $47. To my surprise, I sold a copy of that course within less then 48 hours of having available on the site.

          Sales came in every once in a while, but still nothing significant. My mindset was still "I am capable of building something and putting it up for sale, but I am not capable of making any serious money from it".

          I slacked off for a few more months.

          I then forced myself to get back to putting effort into the $47 product, so I started adding more and more to it. I added more free content to my site as well as adding more to the "product".

          As a result, I started to make more sales. Belief system upgraded again.

          2 years into the project I got to the point where I was making around $1000 each month. There was a lot of "forcing myself" to get to work because I still was unsure of my capabilities.

          A few months ago, I found out that I was having a baby. I was on the fence about hiring this coach for $5000, but after hearing the news about the baby, my decision to hire the coach became a no-brainer.

          The coach helped me to internalize information that I already knew, yet didn't really believe. Spending that much money also lit a fire under my ass to take massive action.

          As a result of the massive action that I took, my belief system has again been upgraded. In March, I had my best yet month in which I made 61 sales of my product.

          I'm still scared to try paid advertising, but that's another internal battle that I will have to overcome.

          So ya, that's my journey.

          That's great that Savidge's kid has access to free coaching. I don't, so I can't just snap my fingers and make money appear.

          I do however have a foundation that I have built for myself over the last 6 years.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500532].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
            Originally Posted by Bkelly301 View Post



            I didn't actually BELIEVE that I could make any significant amount of money online until about 2 years ago.

            I mean, I knew it was possible.

            However, I didn't actually believe that I was capable of doing it until about 2 years ago.



            A few months ago, I found out that I was having a baby. I was on the fence about hiring this coach for $5000, but after hearing the news about the baby, my decision to hire the coach became a no-brainer.

            (Inciting incident^^^^ motivation.)

            Spending that much money also lit a fire under my ass to take massive action.

            As a result of the massive action that I took, my belief system has again been upgraded. In March, I had my best yet month in which I made 61 sales of my product.

            I'm still scared to try paid advertising, but that's another internal battle that I will have to overcome.

            So ya, that's my journey.
            It seems a lot of Warriors share your lack of belief concept. They know it is POSSIBLE, but they don't believe THEY can do it.

            You had an inciting incident. A crap or get off the pot moment.

            Your belief system as been UPGRADED, an interesting way to look at it, and maybe that is what a lot of others need, someway to UPGRADE their beliefs.

            61 is a significant improvement over the one and two. Making a few sales back then showed you that you COULD create and sell a product, but it took a huge event, to motivate you to make the commitment.

            Thanks for sharing. BELIEF is not only the great motivator, as we see, it can be the governor which prevents one from achivement.

            GordonJ
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500575].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chuckholmes
    Five years is a very realistic time frame for success in ANY type of business.

    Anyone can get started making money online because there is no screening process or barrier to entry. That's a blessing, but it's also the # 1 reason so many people give up and quit.

    Have a plan, set some goals, get to work, do something every day to grow your business, work on your skills, fail forward and press on. Five years will go by quickly anyway. Five years from now you will either look back and be glad you stuck it out, or wish you did!

    Everyone needs a side hustle and residual income!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500153].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author poemaster
    Thank you for such a nice and well put post. I've been on and off for a couple of years, now I've got no job so I'll focusing myself in IM 100% as am getting married soon. Currently building a website that focusing on news and reviewing gadget as I like gadgets and writing at the same time. I might reach a stumble block in marketing and promoting my website but I'll be looking forward to find information and learning in this forum.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brucey666
    Yeah buddy, you are totally true, you need to stick to your thing and do not quit on it,as for me i have started making money online in under a year because of the prior knowledge that i have gained before and the amount of time that i put in this goal of mine!

    If you work twice more than the others working, you will get to your goal 2 times faster than them
    Signature
    In Depth Look at the All In One Free Online Business Tool and Training!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11501018].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics