Over the past 7 years, I have signed up for the services of no less than 8 coaches. They range from a modest $67 to a whopping $2500. Sad to say, NONE of these so called coaches delivers on the coaching itself let alone their promises, not even close.
This was what I went through before the coaching:
1) All the coaching were done through SKYPE. Before they take my money, they will be very responsive and answer my queries in like 10 seconds literally. They will be very helpful, answering all my questions, promising me this and that. They will show me screenshots, probably even live videos of results etc... All this is done to entice me to take up their coaching. Nothing wrong with that cos that's marketing, I understand.
2) I was also promised daily SKYPE sessions at a set time to go through daily tasks and milestone to get to the target.
3) I was also promised tailored coaching to suit my needs.
4) I was also promised tools and softwares that they are using
5) I was also promised access to their Email lists of thousand subscribers and buyers to send out offers etc.
This is the reality AFTER I signed up and they take my money
1) In the beginning, they will throw me a bunch of videos, manuals and some general instrcutions. They will then tell me to go through them and come back if I have any questions. So I went thorugh these videos and instrcutions and of course I have plenty of questions. This is where the problems start... continue point 2
2) Response will be very slow when you ping them on SKYPE. gone are the 10 seconds reply and you will be happy if they get back to you in 24 hours. I have coaches who don't answer me in 5 days. Even reponses will mostly be one sentence with no further explanations.
Gone are also the scheduled daily SKYPE sessions as everything will be impromtu. I got a question, I PING them and crossed my fingers and hoped they answer. What daily task? What targets? Nothing of this sort exists anymore. They will tell me to ask a question and they will answer, that's it. How can a student if he is new to a certain business model grasp the concept of what he is trying to learn by watching and reading some instructions? Sometimes, I don't even know what to ask. I was literally left alone to wander in the dark trying to find the answers myself.
3) What tailored coaching? I soon realized I am but just ANOTHER sucker student who signed up and being thown some generic videos to follow and tailored coaching is just a fancy word to entice you to join.
4) Tools and softwares? Huh... this is a joke because I was promised access to paid versions of their softwares but after signing up I was directed to trial versions and expected to pay the full price with their affiliate links.
5) Well, their so called Email list is a few Freebies seekers. So much for thousands of subscribers and buyers list.
My biggest gripe in all this is that the so called coaching is NOT intended as it is. Don't expect to throw a bunch of videos and instructions to your students and wait for them to ask you then you answer. This is not coaching. This is Q&A.
Don't be a coach if you are not prepared to spend time guiding your students. Students take up coaching becuase they need guidance, not necessarily hand holding. They also need motivation and encouragement and it needs to be part of the coach's job to give that. For example, you engaged a tennis coach and he just throws you a bunch of tennis videos for you to watch and then tells you to ask him if you do not understand any part, do you think you will go very far in tennis?
Don't be a coach if you read a WSO somewhere that tells you that coaching is lucrative and it's like taking candy from a kid and you do not need any experience to do it.
My conclusion is this. The coaches I have met have only one goal on their mind. Hope you go away in time and don't bother them anymore. They achieved this by constantly frustrating you with their one sentence reply, late responses and vague answers. And in many cases, students will just give up and move on.
This IS actually a highly used business model in the IM industry.
To conclude, please REMEMBER that I am NOT thrashing all coaches cos I am sure there are many good and responsible coaches out there but so far I have yet to meet one. Please relate your experiences here. Thank you.