Are Live Videos Replacing Content?

by Medon
39 replies
Live videos are becoming popular each passing day. It has forced marketers to start using the strategy to increase sales. In fact, it is considered the best strategy to use to attract new customers. This is why millions of live videos are uploaded and watched on YouTube and facebook every day. A few weeks ago, I heard a marketer say that live videos are soon going to overtake content as a marketing tool. Marketers, do you think this is true?
#content #live #replacing #videos
  • Content is content..video is just another medium.

    The quick answer to your question is yes but with the following caveats:
    1 - There will always be certain niches that require more "content" than a single video will be able to provide. Videos will be short - not long.
    2 - To get actionable click throughs, each person has a different threshold - some push the button sooner than others. Here again, more content will be needed for these "wiser" purchasers.
    3 - Although more instant video viewing will become a mainstay, I don't think it will necessarily result in the same we now experience with the traditional video embed and surrounding content mix.
    4 - I do see "content" becoming integrated or accessible through the video UI in the very near future which will make video + content marketing so powerful in the following years.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534209].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by professorrosado View Post

      Content is content..video is just another medium.

      The quick answer to your question is yes but with the following caveats:
      1 - There will always be certain niches that require more "content" than a single video will be able to provide. Videos will be short - not long.
      2 - To get actionable click throughs, each person has a different threshold - some push the button sooner than others. Here again, more content will be needed for these "wiser" purchasers.
      3 - Although more instant video viewing will become a mainstay, I don't think it will necessarily result in the same we now experience with the traditional video embed and surrounding content mix.
      4 - I do see "content" becoming integrated or accessible through the video UI in the very near future which will make video + content marketing so powerful in the following years.
      Great insight. I agree with you that in some cases content will remain the king while in others, the video will push more. Integrating both video and content is likely to bring marketers a fortune.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534752].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve L
    Originally Posted by Medon View Post

    Live videos are becoming popular each passing day. It has forced marketers to start using the strategy to increase sales. In fact, it is considered the best strategy to use to attract new customers. This is why millions of live videos are uploaded and watched on YouTube and facebook every day. A few weeks ago, I heard a marketer say that live videos are soon going to overtake content as a marketing tool. Marketers, do you think this is true?
    He's hyping you up to buy his upcoming live video course

    Seriously, content will exist in multiple formats forever. There are times when you prefer to read then there are times where you need a video. The written word is not going anywhere. Personally, I hate how Youtube videos take forever to get to the point because they're trying to make their video last at least 10 minutes. Youtube favors videos over 10 minutes is why.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    I do not see live overtaking written content soon M. but it will be more popular as we progress. I note folks spending freaking hours watching videos on phones. Especially if I am on the subway in NYC, people glue their peepers to phones, following live and recorded videos. I was good for 1 live broadcast daily on Facebook until recently. Good way to bond with readers.
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534224].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by ryanbiddulph View Post

      I do not see live overtaking written content soon M. but it will be more popular as we progress. I note folks spending freaking hours watching videos on phones. Especially if I am on the subway in NYC, people glue their peepers to phones, following live and recorded videos. I was good for 1 live broadcast daily on Facebook until recently. Good way to bond with readers.
      Good observations . It may take time before video overtakes content but we all agree that they will help marketers leverage sales.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534753].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
    I think saying that live video will overtake other forms of content is a stretch at best. Not that it's not growing and a useful tool. I just find it hard to believe it will overtake existing forms of content.
    Signature
    How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
    19 Years Exp . . . . . . . . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534874].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Sure, I agree with you that live video is growing fast but it may not take a lead any time sooner. Even though it is an important factor in the world of digital marketing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11535700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    If you can put out better video with great sound quality . Then build an audience fan base around that . If you are better with written word focus on the written word. If you are better with stick figure slidshows .

    What media or medium will you be the best most effective at building an audience or fan base .

    But then I am specific with the terms audience and fans ...instead of brand and customers .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534890].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      If you can put out better video with great sound quality . Then build an audience fan base around that . If you are better with written word focus on the written word. If you are better with stick figure slidshows .

      What media or medium will you be the best most effective at building an audience or fan base .

      But then I am specific with the terms audience and fans ...instead of brand and customers .
      Thank you Odahh for your response. I agree with you that doing what you are best at (specialization) is key to success. But people who juggle around two or more things have also registered great success.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11535698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cearionmarie
    There's no denying the fact that it is indeed gaining traction and popularity but I don't see it becoming the new king. Content is still content and yes, live videos are another thing. Both have their pros and they are both intended for specific people.
    Signature

    Cearion Uy - Marketing Advisor
    www.influencerauditor.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11535853].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by cearionmarie View Post

      There's no denying the fact that it is indeed gaining traction and popularity but I don't see it becoming the new king. Content is still content and yes, live videos are another thing. Both have their pros and they are both intended for specific people.
      What about combining the two? Don't you think they stand abetter chance of making more money?

      Originally Posted by wentzco View Post

      Live video definitely has become very popular on Facebook in different niches. I admin a biz op advertising group & I see quite a growing number of live videos being shared. It's ideal for training people as you can answer real time questions being posted. Interaction levels for live videos is "much" higher which gives it a boost in the Facebook algorithm. Facebook also sends you notifications of friends/pages doing a live video. I'll watch live video & replays either related to the company I'm with, local/national news events, "some" of my friends' videos or a cannabis stock trading show on occasion.

      In certain industry/product niches, people make buying decisions because they like the person or business they are dealing with. Live video shows people who you are as a person better than printed words can. I'd have to make sure I wasn't wearing my robe & showered for the day for this to work for me. I have definitely considered doing this & had browsed some web cams recently. I have refused to get a smartphone & have a $10 Tracfone for emergency use primarily (I literally have made maybe 5-6 calls with it in the last 8 years).

      One thing I hate about some live videos is people not getting to the point & respecting other people's time. Last night, my wife watched a video where her friend/associate was making an announcement on how she was changing businesses. She talked on for 15 minutes filled with emotional comments. Both my wife & I were commenting "Get to the point - what business are you getting involved with?". After 15 minutes... she never mentioned the business.


      Larry

      That was a real marketer Larry, the moment you mention the business, people take off. So to keep them watching and let it come last.

      Originally Posted by myob View Post

      At best, video will be a good complement, but certainly will never replace written content.
      I don't agree. Supposing you wake up one morning and you find new changes in Googles algorithms where sites with videos are ranking high. Of course we will all switch to videos wont you?

      Originally Posted by Beatriz1 View Post

      video is good for the audience who has enough patience. Content play like to attract the audience towards the product. Most audiences get attracted with unique content rather than the video.
      It is true that you need time to watch the entire video. So reading written content is much easier.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11546518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wentzco
    Live video definitely has become very popular on Facebook in different niches. I admin a biz op advertising group & I see quite a growing number of live videos being shared. It's ideal for training people as you can answer real time questions being posted. Interaction levels for live videos is "much" higher which gives it a boost in the Facebook algorithm. Facebook also sends you notifications of friends/pages doing a live video. I'll watch live video & replays either related to the company I'm with, local/national news events, "some" of my friends' videos or a cannabis stock trading show on occasion.

    In certain industry/product niches, people make buying decisions because they like the person or business they are dealing with. Live video shows people who you are as a person better than printed words can. I'd have to make sure I wasn't wearing my robe & showered for the day for this to work for me. I have definitely considered doing this & had browsed some web cams recently. I have refused to get a smartphone & have a $10 Tracfone for emergency use primarily (I literally have made maybe 5-6 calls with it in the last 8 years).

    One thing I hate about some live videos is people not getting to the point & respecting other people's time. Last night, my wife watched a video where her friend/associate was making an announcement on how she was changing businesses. She talked on for 15 minutes filled with emotional comments. Both my wife & I were commenting "Get to the point - what business are you getting involved with?". After 15 minutes... she never mentioned the business.


    Larry
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11535933].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    At best, video will be a good complement, but certainly will never replace written content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11535970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Beatriz1
    video is good for the audience who has enough patience. Content play like to attract the audience towards the product. Most audiences get attracted with unique content rather than the video.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11545493].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Medon View Post

    Live videos are becoming popular each passing day. It has forced marketers to start using the strategy to increase sales. In fact, it is considered the best strategy to use to attract new customers. This is why millions of live videos are uploaded and watched on YouTube and facebook every day. A few weeks ago, I heard a marketer say that live videos are soon going to overtake content as a marketing tool. Marketers, do you think this is true?

    Live videos IS content.

    Most marketers are incompetent. They ruin everything. This will be no different.

    Don't get me wrong, if you have amazing insights to share, then live video might be a great way to get that content in front of people. However, it won't be used to spread amazing insights. It will be used to trick people.

    The squeeze page was the way to build a list. Then, incompetent hacks ruined it. They began using them to force people onto their lists with a promise of riches HIDDEN behind a wall of curiosity.

    Now, anyone but a solo ad seller or a ripp-off artist will get any results from them. You can build a BIGGER list by tricking people onto it, but you WILL NOT be building a responsive list. You can't have both.

    Email open rates have dropped consistently over the years. Why? Because again, incompetent hacks building lists to shove crappy JVzoo products down their subscribers throats.

    I could go on.

    At the end of the day, it's all about HOW you use these things, NOT that you are JUST using them.

    It ALWAYS circles back to VALUE.

    Regardless of the format.
    Signature
    Wanna ‘bon-bon’ and a ride in my van with the blacked out windows?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11545546].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Odahh
      Originally Posted by Declan O Flaherty View Post

      Live videos IS content.

      Most marketers are incompetent. They ruin everything. This will be no different.

      Don't get me wrong, if you have amazing insights to share, then live video might be a great way to get that content in front of people. However, it won't be used to spread amazing insights. It will be used to trick people.




      At the end of the day, it ALWAYS circles back to VALUE. Regardless of the format.
      I am not disagreeing with you . What my limited observation of the content world is good marketers .who have shifted from the list mentality to building an audience.

      It will be a waste of time for me to explaine the difference here.

      As for the value most of it is how much entertainment value you can provide in your content .for the most part you will be repeating many of the same ideas doezens of times each video
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11545568].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author George Flm
    Live videos are all the rage because of the prospect of increased conversions.

    It's fancy and a preferred method of communication.
    Signature

    George Troy Marketing on Youtube

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11545642].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by George Flm View Post

      Live videos are all the rage because of the prospect of increased conversions.

      It's fancy and a preferred method of communication.
      So what you are suggesting is that anyone who ignores video will be doing so at their own risk right?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11546528].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author George Flm
        Originally Posted by Medon View Post

        So what you are suggesting is that anyone who ignores video will be doing so at their own risk right?
        It wouldn't affect all markets.

        Let's say you have a pool of customers who are thrilled about your products.

        Don't be shocked to see them posting questions live and purchasing the next big ticket item
        based on your suggestion. Only applies to some markets.
        Signature

        George Troy Marketing on Youtube

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11546548].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Medon
          Originally Posted by George Flm View Post

          It wouldn't affect all markets.

          Let's say you have a pool of customers who are thrilled about your products.

          Don't be shocked to see them posting questions live and purchasing the next big ticket item
          based on your suggestion. Only applies to some markets.
          I get your point. It is true that some markets can do without it.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11546820].message }}
  • Live video is wonderful and has its place in most marketer's arsenals but it's definitely not going to replace pre-recorded content any time soon.

    If anything, people care more about convenience and on-demand consumption than they did in days past. They want to consume the content on their own time, not yours.

    This isn't just true in IM, it's true everywhere. Even now in 2019, DVR is still being heavily adopted by the older demographic, and the only reason it's flat overall is because more and more people are giving up cable for on-demand services like Netflix.

    Live video has its place, and can be very powerful if you can get people to tune in - but convenience is still far more important to most people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11545731].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by James McAllister View Post

      Live video is wonderful and has its place in most marketer's arsenals but it's definitely not going to replace pre-recorded content any time soon.

      If anything, people care more about convenience and on-demand consumption than they did in days past. They want to consume the content on their own time, not yours.

      This isn't just true in IM, it's true everywhere. Even now in 2019, DVR is still being heavily adopted by the older demographic, and the only reason it's flat overall is because more and more people are giving up cable for on-demand services like Netflix.

      Live video has its place, and can be very powerful if you can get people to tune in - but convenience is still far more important to most people.
      Sure convenient is the issue here so live videos may not stand the test of time. But what about recorded videos? Do you think they have a chance?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11546531].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WF- Enzo
    Administrator
    While almost the entire planet has access to social media, not everyone has good internet connection, and videos, no matter how short or how low its upload quality is, will still consume bandwidth. That's where written content steps in.

    Originally Posted by Medon View Post

    Live videos are becoming popular each passing day. It has forced marketers to start using the strategy to increase sales. In fact, it is considered the best strategy to use to attract new customers. This is why millions of live videos are uploaded and watched on YouTube and facebook every day. A few weeks ago, I heard a marketer say that live videos are soon going to overtake content as a marketing tool. Marketers, do you think this is true?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11545810].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by WF- Enzo View Post

      While almost the entire planet has access to social media, not everyone has good internet connection, and videos, no matter how short or how low its upload quality is, will still consume bandwidth. That's where written content steps in.
      I agree with you. But we need to remember that technology is revolutionising itself pretty fast so bandwidth issues will be a thing of the past.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11546526].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Please use multi-quote rather than posting a separate post for every comment.
    Signature
    Just wait a second – so what you're telling me is that my chance of surviving all this is directly linked to the common sense of others? You’re kidding, right?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11546525].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DURABLEOILCOM
    People are very stressed with life/work so coming home and reading a super long article is asinine and very taxing. Instead they can watch their favorite channel/content on TV or YouTube. YouTube and other streaming networks are the future of marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11546745].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by DURABLEOILCOM View Post

      People are very stressed with life/work so coming home and reading a super long article is asinine and very taxing. Instead they can watch their favorite channel/content on TV or YouTube. YouTube and other streaming networks are the future of marketing.
      It means that the video needs to tweaked to capture and sustain the attention of the viewer
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11546821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trevordd
    Banned
    I have just got a Firestick for me, and I like it so much. There are indeed lots of great guides online which can help you get anything you want. Soo cool. I recommend the resource from https://www.firestickhow.com/best-kodi-builds.html for example. You will find anything you need there, good luck with it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548071].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by trevordd View Post

      It is really interesting, but I don't think they will replace it...

      You are right according to the majority here, live videos are becoming relevant in growing business but they are nowhere near replacing content. Content is still the king and it will reign for the next many decades.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    I honestly think it really depends on the niche and demographics but videos are picking up popularity and often are the top choice of content over written content. I don't think videos will ever fully replace written content, imo it best compliments it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548498].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by ChrisBa View Post

      I honestly think it really depends on the niche and demographics but videos are picking up popularity and often are the top choice of content over written content. I don't think videos will ever fully replace written content, imo it best compliments it.
      It is true that it may not replace written content now. But I am looking at the future. It is becoming much easier to watch a video than reading boring content. What is your take?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548544].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AlextheG
    Videos can be more informative and interesting at the same time and it can be less time consuming then reading as it contain images and voice. it can be good replacement for the write up but it depends on many factors like what type of site you're using, what type of content you're making and replacing it with videos.
    informative content can be replaced with the videos as its only for reading purpose but some content have anchor tags, links and buttons that can't be changed with the videos.
    so content can't be replaced completely with videos.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548534].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by AlextheG View Post

      Videos can be more informative and interesting at the same time and it can be less time consuming then reading as it contain images and voice. it can be good replacement for the write up but it depends on many factors like what type of site you're using, what type of content you're making and replacing it with videos.
      informative content can be replaced with the videos as its only for reading purpose but some content have anchor tags, links and buttons that can't be changed with the videos.
      so content can't be replaced completely with videos.
      Right, it all depend on the niche. In some niches written content cannot make sense so this is where videos thrive a good example is a porn site.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548547].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sean Carter
    After being away from providing written content for years, I recently came back to the idea and pondered over that very thing. But, I realized that written content has major advantages over video content. Thinking of it from the perspective of a consumer of information, I'd prefer most things in written format for several reasons. It all depends on what I'm looking for.

    This now brings me to the question of whether or not audiobooks haven overtaken physical books.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549611].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by Sean Carter View Post

      After being away from providing written content for years, I recently came back to the idea and pondered over that very thing. But, I realized that written content has major advantages over video content. Thinking of it from the perspective of a consumer of information, I'd prefer most things in written format for several reasons. It all depends on what I'm looking for.

      This now brings me to the question of whether or not audiobooks haven overtaken physical books.
      Good observation. I think the reason why audio book are not doing well is that one has to listen to the entire podcast in one sitting. But with a novel, all you need is to place a bookmarker where you stopped and pick up from there.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11550292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Gudim
    The internet is full of anonymous scammers, hiding behind fake names and vague mysterious profiles.

    I think VIDEO is the best way to become known, liked and trusted online. However, I also believe that TEXT content is what links the entire internet together, so a Hybrid Blend of Text and Video is probably the best approach.

    I don't think it needs to be "live" because you need an audience, and most people view video on their own time schedule when it is convenient for them. So a "recorded" video embedded on a platform that is easily accessible will be more viewed.

    I am surprised there are not more collaborative groups doing video partnerships. Perhaps this is because the majority of internet marketers are either to shy to get on video, or don't want to show their face because they do not authentically believe in want they are promoting.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549835].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by Brad Gudim View Post

      The internet is full of anonymous scammers, hiding behind fake names and vague mysterious profiles.

      I think VIDEO is the best way to become known, liked and trusted online. However, I also believe that TEXT content is what links the entire internet together, so a Hybrid Blend of Text and Video is probably the best approach.

      I don't think it needs to be "live" because you need an audience, and most people view video on their own time schedule when it is convenient for them. So a "recorded" video embedded on a platform that is easily accessible will be more viewed.

      I am surprised there are not more collaborative groups doing video partnerships. Perhaps this is because the majority of internet marketers are either to shy to get on video, or don't want to show their face because they do not authentically believe in want they are promoting.
      Very right. First I accept that the video could be recorded. Second, most marketers are afraid of facing the camera and would rather remain anonymous. In some cases, the marketing language forces them to say half the truth which they would not like their images to get associated with.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11550293].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DABK
        Marketing language has never forced anyone to say half the truth.
        People who do that choose on their own; they do not know marketing or have a lousy product.

        Originally Posted by Medon View Post

        Very right. First I accept that the video could be recorded. Second, most marketers are afraid of facing the camera and would rather remain anonymous. In some cases, the marketing language forces them to say half the truth which they would not like their images to get associated with.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11550343].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Medon
          Originally Posted by DABK View Post

          Marketing language has never forced anyone to say half the truth.
          People who do that choose on their own; they do not know marketing or have a lousy product.
          I disagree the best marketer is one who uses language to make the buyer dip his hand in the pocket. So saying half the truth is one of the options they have. That is why whatever they say is sometimes referred to as marketing hype.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11551686].message }}

Trending Topics